Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Default Translocator gun in ONS - MagiIsle-)o(-V13

What a fantastic new addition. If you haven't witnessed the sheer awesomeness of this addition to our server, just spectate Termi or Lagzilla. It is almost criminal. Hats off for bringing this to the server.

It's available to everybody, so don't be bitching about how Termi is dominating you with it. Take the time and learn how to use it. It will change the dynamics of game play. For good or bad, it's too soon to tell.

That tranny locator gun is mighty powerful.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:19 PM   #2
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

Meh. The redeemer is really powerful, too, and I know how to use it, but I don't like it when there are too many in the game. Ditto the old wasps in MagicIsle. The translocator just isn't my cup of tea.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Hey everyone,

When I added the translocator I had a few things in mind as far as strategy goes:
1) Get's it out there for everyone to use. It's easy to get.
2) You need it to get the redeemer floating above 7/9. You can't take a flier there.

I _Never_ intended the translocator to be used as a primary force weapon, just a delivery device.

Because the grapple gun is bugged, I want to make another quick update to this map to resolve a few things.
1) Grapple gun goes away. Until we can convince someone who can code weapons to look at it, I think it is dunzo. Replace with Drop Ship. Intent: Get people to primaries/key secondaries.
2) Lower the tanslocator ammo. You need 2 ammo to get the deemer and 3 ammo get to the key secondaries. I would like to move it down to 6 or so instead of 15. (it gives 4 in round 1, 15 in round 2+.) This means you can't nuke the node and still get back to the spawn easily to get it again.
3) Put the translocator in a weapons locker. If you kill someone with one, you can grab theirs and get their ammo. Ask Dimshade how to kill someone with it.
4) Black Angus ammo reduced to 3. (The dinos)
5) Whoitzer moved so it is easier to get, likely core lockers only. Maybe core and secondaries.

Hope that helps explain where my head was at with it. I know its super powerful and amounts to an instagib weapon that has no warning. I urge you to go try it out, and again, Dimshade can fill you in on how he kills people with it. He does it. Frequently. Which I am sure is no surprise to anyone.

Thanks for the praise McLovin, Turbo putting it in the trials inspired me to make it available in another map.

Andrew
Old 02-19-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Hope that helps explain where my head was at with it. I know its super powerful and amounts to an instagib weapon that has no warning. I urge you to go try it out, and again, Terminator can fill you in on how he kills people with it. He does it. Frequently. Which I am sure is no surprise to anyone.

Andrew
Fixed. I think I've used the translocator a grand total of twice on that map.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:39 AM   #5
Terminator
Getting there...

All you do is shoot the enemy and it telefrags them, although sometimes it doesn't work. I'll shoot someone with the Transloc and I appear next to them instead of telefragging.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:35 PM   #6
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
All you do is shoot the enemy and it telefrags them, although sometimes it doesn't work. I'll shoot someone with the Transloc and I appear next to them instead of telefragging.
That's called missing.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #7
Terminator
Getting there...

There are also times when you shoot the weapon and it doesn't teleport you. This normally happens when you shoot the side a building when falling... So shoot on flat surfaces.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #8
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Telefragging with the TL gun works similarly to telefragging with the stock translocator: A person can't be moving away from you, or else you'll materialize at the spot where they were, not where they are.

My thoughts: The TL gun is not inherently bad. It's the location, combined with the amount of ammo, as well as also existing on the same map as the Black Angus which is basically a redeemer with 10 ammo.

The stock Manta and Dragon provide enough transport options for infantry at the beginning of each round. No teleporting or grappling is needed.
If the TL gun ammo was reduced to 5, and it was located near a redeemer or suicide nuke, then you could put one on each side. The ground near the core might be a good spot, and people would actually see the Tiamat while they're out there.
The problem with the TL gun's current location is that it's so far away from the core, that many important flyers are wasted by people ditching them to get the gun, and it's in a spot where the winning team can easily guard it and prevent the losing team from using it for a comeback. By placing it near the core, no flyers are wasted, and it's an alternative offensive option for when the "good" vehicles are not available at the core.

The Black Angus: This gun shouldn't be on the same map as the TL gun. It could be a fun choice on a tank map though, instead of the wave flack.

I have yet to see anyone use the Whoitzer, so replacing the rocket launchers at certain nodes/core might be a good idea.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
Fixed. I think I've used the translocator a grand total of twice on that map.
No, suggesting if people want tips on how to kill people USING (as in they are translocating) the translocator they should ask you. Not you use the translocator. The badger is a good start. It's easy to hide and if you are at a node you know the TL user is going to try and start it. Sit back, eat popcorn. Wait for TL at the node.

Andrew
Old 02-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #10
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
The Black Angus: This gun shouldn't be on the same map as the TL gun. It could be a fun choice on a tank map though, instead of the wave flack.
Thanks for your thoughts Turbo, always appreciate the time you put into the maps, forums and games. Thank you.

Though it is not a direct comparison (and not singling out your post Turbo as a few in game mentioned it) I find it interesting that so many people don't like the TL. Now I stated it needs to be adjusted, so I get the complaint... but there are so many other OPVs in game, we suddenly gave power to the foot soldier and people start losing their minds. The mino can easily take down nodes... fire tank... rail tank... Aurora... Wasp... in the right hands, they are all just like the TL. I know it's apples and oranges a bit, but there is some comparison to draw here.

Andrew
Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #11
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Now I stated it needs to be adjusted, so I get the complaint... but there are so many other OPVs in game, we suddenly gave power to the foot soldier and people start losing their minds. The mino can easily take down nodes... fire tank... rail tank... Aurora... Wasp... in the right hands, they are all just like the TL. I know it's apples and oranges a bit, but there is some comparison to draw here.

Andrew
I agree, that's why the Battery AVRiL and Waveflack have made their way into my map edits. Both the TL Gun and Black Angus each make a foot soldier more powerful than most vehicles, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's the combination of the two that really sends it over the top.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #12
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:

Though it is not a direct comparison (and not singling out your post Turbo as a few in game mentioned it) I find it interesting that so many people don't like the TL. Now I stated it needs to be adjusted, so I get the complaint... but there are so many other OPVs in game, we suddenly gave power to the foot soldier and people start losing their minds. The mino can easily take down nodes... fire tank... rail tank... Aurora... Wasp... in the right hands, they are all just like the TL. I know it's apples and oranges a bit, but there is some comparison to draw here.

Andrew
Yup... I strongly agree with this and what TK said.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #13
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I agree, that's why the Battery AVRiL and Waveflack have made their way into my map edits. Both the TL Gun and Black Angus each make a foot soldier more powerful than most vehicles, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's the combination of the two that really sends it over the top.
We are overlooking the simple Solution. Don't give the TL to Terminator...

Andrew
Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
dimshade
Getting there...

if [ $douche -eq '[HoC]Terminator' ] && [ $location -eq "Translocator" ]
then
slay "$douche"
fi

(I am a shit coder, but you get the idea )
Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM   #15
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I applaud any additions to the game, even if Termy kills me frequently with it. I love the dynamics, and love the map. Thank you for everything.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught