Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Wormbo
Wormlike

UT2k4 A special power node for special maps

I figured UT2004 Onslaught maps could benefit from a few UT3 Warfare features so I started working on this special power node class.
It's not quite complete (I'd like to make the options more flexible), but you can already use the following features:
  • If directly connected to a power core and at the same time not directly connected to the other power core ("double prime node"), the node can start as a prime node, i.e. owned by the same team as the power core. I didn't specially code it that way, but the game will prefer to initially spawn you at the prime node instead of the power core.
  • If not connected to any other nodes at all, the node can stay available as standalone node instead of removing itself from the game. A standalone node can always be attacked and taken by either team and never counts as isolated.
If you like to use this version of the special powernode, I recommend including it in your map via "load file=OnslaughtSpecials.u package=myLevel" from the UnrealEd console.
(Back up your map before you do that, as getting rid of classes imported like that will require some tricky hacks with UTPT and a hex editor!)

Features I might add at some point:
  • A dedicated countdown node. Not sure how easy this will be without messing with other parts of the Onslaught gametype.
  • Scripted actions for controlling power node states.
  • Linked standalone nodes. For example a standalone node and a regular node connected to each other but not connected to the cores. The regular power node can be taken by a team if the standalone node is under that team's control.
  • A way to entirely disable standalone nodes in power link setups, like it happens to unconnected regular nodes.
  • More prime node features, including a way to prevent a node from becoming a prime node in certain power link setups.
If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

[edit]
The core functionalities are mostly finished now.

Links:

Last edited by Wormbo; 07-04-2010 at 07:53 AM.. Reason: sort-of final version for now
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #2
Pi

wow...

the Dawn of the Mino-node has come i think.

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

I'm excited !! (not sure why, but seems an appropriate course of action...)

Old 06-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

This was EXACTLY what I wanted to code (but I had no clue how). You are a lifesaver.

Don't worry about the CountdownNode and all other functionality, I have Actors that can handle that if you assign the Node in their properties and display the countdown in the players HUD in a way that the LD can customize.

Can you include Iwanpompier's features and make that thing an UltimatePowerNode? (Or let me at least use that name to include it into the UltimateMappingTools? )

Here is the link to his stuff:
http://kaiju.bplaced.net/DirectionalNode.zip

Not everything in that package is necessary for the Node, only the stuff that makes the Link Gun target the Node's base and sphere and the DirectionalNode itself, which makes it display correctly when it has rotation (that also requires the HUDOverlay).

Now there is NOTHING anymore in UT3 that isn't effectively ported already (we can damage Nodes by triggering, we can track vehicles on the radarmap, we can set different vehicles per team that holds a Node)!

Can't you just let the LD specify in a string-array in the Node in which Linksetups it should be completely disabled? Would be a workaround.

I didn't download it, so tell me.. is this a Mutator or an Actor? And is it a subclass of ONSPowerNode(Neutral) or at least ONSPowerCore?
Old 06-26-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
  • If not connected to any other nodes at all, the node can stay available as standalone node instead of removing itself from the game. A standalone node can always be attacked and taken by either team and never counts as isolated.
I think this one has a ton of potential. Like Pi said, a mino-node, or maybe just a floating node near to a base that could be used as a strategic spawn point for the opposite team (if they realize the strategic implications of being able to spawn in close).
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Or it can give the defending team that is being overrunned a chance to get a Node far away from there base, let's say in the center of the map. From there it can also attack their Prime Nodes from behind, and the enemy needs to take some units away from the offensive to secure the unlinked Nodes, if he wants to prevent such attacks.

Or the CountdownNode in Floodgate. It was possible already, but it wouldn't have been really fair if you needed to link it first before you can attack it. The countdown would have run anyway, giving the winning team too much of an advantage.

Or the TentacleNodes in Avalanche. Much better if they are unconnected and always available now, as that gives the losing team a chance to cut the whole frontline behind the enemy lines by destroying their Prime Node.

The top Node in ONS-Rail.. making it independent would turn it less dangerous, it would be just a good respawn point at the frontline and no double-danger for the Prime Nodes.

Possibilities are endless now.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #7
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Another feature request:
Can you implement a ForcedCloseActors array that holds name variables?
In the PostBeginPlay of a PowerNode/Core is the CloseActors array build and gets filled with all the PlayerStarts, TeleportPads, VehicleFactories and TeamBanners that are closest to this Node.
The Actors that share the names specified in the ForcedCloseActors array shall be added to the CloseActors array as well (and prevented from being proximity-assigned in other UltimatePowerNodes by checking the ForcedCloseActors-array of all other Nodes before adding an Actor to their list).

That feature gets useful when you have many Nodes that are close to each other, but maybe on different levels and in different rooms so that it's not exactly sure which stuff should belong to which Node, like in ONS-THI-TripleSlap.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Another final feature request:

Can you add an option (or state) bProximityObjective?
When set to true, the Node should not take any damage from weaponfire (also no healing by Link Gun), but gain and lose health depending on the number of friendly or enemy players in a certain (collision) radius around it.

In combination with the independent Node functionality would this allow mappers to create Battlefield-like maps. And the Cores could be on Titans (from Battlefield 2142), even with the same functionality (DamageTriggers for the destroyable consoles and TeamSpecificPhysicsVolumes for the shield at the beginning that kills enemies who try to attack the Titan too early).

Creating whole new gametypes, but they are still ONS-maps.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Québécois
Guinnless isn't good 4 u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Treatment View Post
I think this one has a ton of potential. Like Pi said, a mino-node, or maybe just a floating node near to a base that could be used as a strategic spawn point for the opposite team (if they realize the strategic implications of being able to spawn in close).
I agree, this Standalone Node could add "plasticity" to maps that are more static. To put men on this particular node may improve strategic position, as it can reduce men fighting on linked nodes. Its true, a mino-node will be a disaster, even a badly spotted one could be foolish, but i guess the mappers are rational enough for its best use.

Keep evolving that game!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.” -Darwin
Old 07-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Wormbo
Wormlike

Yes Crusha, ONSPowerNodeSpecial extends ONSPowerNode. I'm working to include directional node and forced close actors features. And while I'm at it, I'll also add a new ONSPowerCoreSpecial class to include the same features there. Replacing nodes and cores in existing maps is really easy via cut/paste from UnrealEd into a text editor, replacing all occurences of ONSPowerNodeNetural with ONSPowerNodeSpecial and of ONSPowerCore with ONSPowerCoreSpecial, then copy/pasting it to original location in UnrealEd. I recommend setting the grid size to 32 before pasting to original location because it isn't actually the original location, but 32 units added to all coordinate axes. Since pasted actors are selected, you only need to move them one grid unit down in a side/front or 3d view and one grid unit to the upper left in the top view. Remember to rebuild paths and update the link setups after replacing.

Last edited by Wormbo; 07-03-2010 at 12:50 PM..
Old 07-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #11
Wormbo
Wormlike

New version, download links in first post have been updated. The test map also has been updated to reflect most of these changes.

In addition to the ONSPowerNodeSpecial, there's also ONSPowerCoreSpecial(Red/Blue) now. For all of them you can set the initial health, whether their sky beam should be upright even if the node/core is tilted sidewards and a list of forced close actor names/tags. The latter only works reliably if you don't mix special and regular nodes/cores in a map. ONSPowerNodeSpecial also allows you to adjust the damage per second when the node is isolated, how quickly the node can be healed with the link gun, how high above the ground the spinning thingy is (the node ensures that thing spawns above the base and there's no geometry between the thing and the base) and whether the link beam should stick to said spinning thingy like it does to vehicles.

The only thing I didn't implement yet is the custom health bar location for tilted power nodes.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #12
Wormbo
Wormlike

Alright, it's pretty much finished now. Here are a few pics of some of the features:

Customizable node height, customizable node name.

Tilted node, which also is a standalone node; link beam locking onto node energy thingy.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Fine.

Are you planning to go for the proximity objective stuff, or is that something what exceeds the purpose of this actor in your eyes?

Especially the name thingy is cool. Will it be visible if the Node is culled by Antiportals?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Wormbo
Wormlike

The proximity objective thing is way outside the scope as it's no longer Onslaught.

The name overlay is only visible if the node is.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #15
Wormbo
Wormlike

New actors: xTeamMaterialSwitch (picks a MaterialSwitch material based on who owns the node), xTeamMonitor (ONS version of CTF/BR/DOM-style team symbol/color monitors) and ForcedDirVolume. (like in UT3, but without the blocking features yet)
Old 08-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #16
Wormbo
Wormlike

New version:
  • I've added the class NodeWeaponLocker, which is a team-specific weapon locker that only provides weapons to players from the team that owns the nearest power node or core.
  • The HUD overlays have been improved with several features from UT3, but I think I'll change it to a more UT2004-ish appearance in the next release. Attackable node labels will be drawn even if the nodes aren't visible. The node beacon is faded out near the crosshair so it doesn't interfere with aiming.
  • There are two new options for the ONSPowerNodeSpecial. One controls whether the energy sphere above the active node blocks players or not, the other allows the node to heal itself over time while it is shielded.
Downloads and docs can be found in the first post of this thread.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #17
Wormbo
Wormlike

And another new version:
  • I managed to create the countdown node class. It works just like in UT3.
  • There are some new ScriptedActions: DamagePowerNode, IfNodeShielded and IfSidesSwapped.
  • Further improvements to the HUD overlays. They have a more UT2004-style look now and can be disabled via a clientside console command.
  • Network fixes.
The HillTop Node on the test map now is a countdown node that lets an ion cannon satellite attack the enemy team's power core when the countdown completes.

[edit]
Oh yes, another new feature: Networked nodes can be configured to never have a protection shield. That way they can be destroyed without the enemy actually having a powerlink to them.
This feature is enabled by default for countdown nodes:

[edit2]
Ion satellite attack on the blue powercore:

That's an effect from a small Ion Painter mutator I never released. (similar to the Mercury Missiles mutator, I think I simply forgot about it)

Last edited by Wormbo; 08-09-2010 at 04:35 PM..
Old 08-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post

[edit]
Oh yes, another new feature: Networked nodes can be configured to never have a protection shield. That way they can be destroyed without the enemy actually having a powerlink to them.
This feature is enabled by default for countdown nodes:
Now that will finally confuse even those who understood it so far.

Hmm, I guess I can get rid of the NodeDamageGate then.

But I think the NodeEventDirector and CountdownEventGate can still be kept. They allow for example to create a countdown where you need to hold two Nodes at the same time (and where you couldn't find a good location to display the countdown on the radar map).

Is the countdown also visible on the RadarMap Tab or would that be too much work?
Old 08-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
Wormbo
Wormlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
Now that will finally confuse even those who understood it so far.
That's actually quite simple, actually: You can always destroy the node, but you can't capture it after it became neutral unless you capture one of its neighbor nodes first. It might take some time getting used to the fact that you can't capture a node right after you destroyed it, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
Is the countdown also visible on the RadarMap Tab or would that be too much work?
The countdown is drawn by the HUD overlay, so it would be behind the mid-game menu. GUI is drawn by an Interaction, so I'd have to set it up in a way that lets me draw after the GUIController. I haven't looked into that yet.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #20
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Just wow. The possibilities of this are pretty awesome. If only I had the patience for mapping.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner