Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 06-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
GlueEater
Getting there...

Cool Onslaught 2.0

Believe it or not Gents, the words "Good news" and "UT3" can finally be used in the same sentence. Yes, I know what you're thinkin. No way! That game sux. For the most part, I agree. However last week I discovered a group of 2K4 vets that are making lemonade out of a lemon. The Gods of Warfare boys have designed a server with the ONSLAUGHT 2.0 mod. What this means is the gameplay mechanics have been rolled back to those of 2K4. You can double jump, double link, ride on mantas, change your view while in vehicles and so forth. As well, all the improvements are there too. The hoverboard is still there (no more stuck on foot), the grapple gun (so you can be pulled by vehicles while on your hoverboard), tighter controls in all the vehicles and so on. THIS IS what the next phase of Onslaught should be, 2K4 with many of its shortfalls improved. In addition, there are approx. 35 new maps. Some are old favorites with a fresh look (Volcano High, Dria and more) and some are bran' spankin new. I played last night for several hours and had a blast. They use Ventrilo for chat. Everyone actually stayed in open chat and no one seperated to their appropriate side. I was worried at first because I'm used to strategizing without the other side hearing. But a few minutes into the first game I swooped in on a manta, stole an opposing players tank and killed him with it while he was starting the node. We both started talking and laughing. There was no trash talk, no one was worried about scores, The GOW guys were telling everyone where the Redeemers, spider mines, warps and other things were, everyone was laughing and joking all night. Good Times.
This is a great reason to dust off your copy of UT3. You have to download the ONS 2.0 mod, the three new mappacks and Ventrilo chat. It also helps to have UT3 patch 2.1. If you play at all, you will already have that. This stuff can be found over at the forum at Unrealtournament3.com. http://Unrealtournament3.com
Look for the thread about Weekly Sunday night custom Warfare. Or you can PM me and I will get all the info you need as well as where to place the new files so everything works.
The UT3 community is pretty small and it's spread across 10 different gametypes so you can play on the server anytime, but every Sunday night it gets pretty full. I highly encourage my fellow players to try it, especially if you already have UT3. UT04 has been my favorite online game for some time and I enjoy most of the players but it helps to keep things fresh and try new things. This is pretty good stuff. Naysayers should hold off until they try it. -glue.

Oh Yeah, FirestormXL they have the Facing worlds map that you mentioned in another thread.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

Well have fun with that. Mac's version of UT3 STILL has not come out.

MacSoft originally said 'early 2008'...
http://www.destineerstudios.com/dest...s/ut3_mac.html

Well, even Amazon UK has no date yet...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macsoft-Unre.../dp/B0016IV9FA

Typical - by the time they get it figured out, I'll have to buy a severely overpriced Mac Desktop because it will require some absurd amount of memory or something that I don't have now.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

This sounds like what that one dude is trying to do with Assault, except making progress
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Dach5und View Post
Wow, a near-extinct breed of Mac owner who still expects to run games. Why not just bootcamp Windows?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

I have a non-Intel G4 Mac - yes, they still exist. Unfortunately Bootcamp doesn't work, and Virtual PC is the same joke it was 10 years ago.

I am definitely an owner who runs his Mac into the ground. In the last 17 years, I've only had three - yes three - desktops. I've made damn sure every overpriced dollar spent on those things was paid back in full. If I absolutely HAVE to play UT3 I'll probably get a PlayStation and save myself $2000.

I'm glad someone has taken the initiative and made some lemonade. I'm sensing that UT3 is going to clean up its septic tank and re-release the game with all the improved bells and whistles - kinda like Quake did with that Team Arena expansion pack - pity THAT never really caught on to server games, though.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
Doublemint
Getting there...

I just tried this, and it does make it more bearable, but it still not as good. I do like the goo gernades and how you can finally multi dodge.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #6
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublemint View Post
I just tried this, and it does make it more bearable, but it still not as good. I do like the goo gernades and how you can finally multi dodge.
Is this for any reason other than you didn't know anybody else and/or no supertanks? Elaborate to give people a better impression.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Doublemint
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Quentin Pollard View Post
Is this for any reason other than you didn't know anybody else and/or no supertanks? Elaborate to give people a better impression.
1. I couldn't find a server with a decent ping so I ended up playing "instant action".
2. I'm not really a fan of supertanks, so the stock vehicles were just fine. I actually enjoyed that part, because it was easy to take out most of the vehicles.
3. The shock rifle and flak still suck. Didn't get a chance to try the LG yet.
4. The redone maps are really cool. (Torlan and Primeval)
5. Multi Dodge is now available, but its not refined. The movements are not as smooth as UT2k4. IMO this was the biggest flaw with UT3.
6. Since I like to spam taunts in UT2k4, I tried the same with UT3 and was impressed... The Robot group has the best taunts.

So, it's nicer, but not as nice.. or maybe I need to give it more time.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
GlueEater
Getting there...

UT3 No Minos

Nope. No Minotaurs or tank maps for that matter. I really do love those types of maps too. I was uncomfortable Sunday night for three main reasons.

1. I didn't know many of the maps. I wasn't much help to my team because I didn't know the quickest ways to get back in the fight and how to use the terrain to my advantage. i.e. the best place to put the goliath to cover my guys on Facing Worlds. I kept getting hit with avrils and shock rifles from a distance.

2. The Necris vehicles are new to UT3 and even after all this time using them on stock maps I still can't control a few of them real effectively in battle.

3. I didn't know anyone. I didn't say much. I'm a pretty goofy guy and I've learned that you can seem like a moron to new people if you overdo it too quickly.

I felt the same way with 2K4 when I started playing it. Now, I'm comfortable with the maps and the players. No chance I'm dropping 2K4 for this but it gives me something else fun to play. I never could get into the reality based shooters (Call of Duty) or that WoW crap. I do like RPG's but I play those offline. Can't wait for Diablo 3. -glue
Old 06-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #9
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:

MacSoft originally said 'early 2008'...
http://www.destineerstudios.com/dest...s/ut3_mac.html

Well, even Amazon UK has no date yet...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Macsoft-Unre.../dp/B0016IV9FA

Typical - by the time they get it figured out, I'll have to buy a severely overpriced Mac Desktop because it will require some absurd amount of memory or something that I don't have now.
PC's are cheap, just like kittens.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #10
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

What's the reason for using Ventrilo? UT3 has built-in voip. Why not use that? Is it b/c of the mod or is it just for their server?
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #11
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

TECH

Quote:
I have a non-Intel G4 Mac - yes, they still exist.
Wow, I would how many of us are out there? I've got a 10 year old G4 tower, still going. I keep waiting for Apple to come out with a mini-tower but I know that ain't gonna happen. Probably get a hackintosh or admit defeat and get an iMac. Definitely don't want one of those expensive cheese-graters The funny thing is, I paid that much for my G4 back in 1999!

Quote:
If I absolutely HAVE to play UT3 I'll probably get a PlayStation and save myself $2000.
Well I went the multi-machine route... I have a PC I built just for gaming for about $450. It runs UT3 just fine. (AMD A64 X2 2.4Ghz, 2GB, Radeon 4670 HD, 500GB, Windows XP). Something to consider.

I'll probably get a PS3 at some point. I am still waiting for them to add back in the PS2 compatibility. I have a bunch of PS2 games and I don't want to clutter my media system with yet another gaming system- I already have 3.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #12
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
What's the reason for using Ventrilo? UT3 has built-in voip. Why not use that? Is it b/c of the mod or is it just for their server?
UT3's voice is pretty bad, half the people never hear you and for those that do it cuts in and out a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
I'll probably get a PS3 at some point. I am still waiting for them to add back in the PS2 compatibility.
That's not going to happen, hit up ebay or something to buy an older model that does it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:29 PM   #13
Mad_Dach5und
Noob enough for ya?!?

Straight from the Horse's mouth...

Reply from an E-mail sent to Destineer Studios (MacSoft) today:

"There is currently no map editor for UT2004 on the Mac, and we don't have any plans at this time to release one. Also, at this time we currently have no public announcements regarding UT3."

Damn.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught