Assault Assault Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault

Old 09-27-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Evillusion
Getting there...

Default Assault Bash Night again (under one condition)

I would love to have another )o( assault night but without racing maps. I think it's the only way we can have a longer successful try at jumpstarting this server again. What do y'all think? The last time we tried back in April it was a fun night until that dragged out racing map was voted and people started leaving. If the maps were run and gun assault like it's really meant to be played, more people would've stayed longer and those who are pro-Onslaught and do not really know how fun Assault can be would probably have a different view. If I knew nothing about Assault and tried it for the first time and spent 1 hour+ driving a bender off a Hotwheels ramp, I would hesitate to come back. So what do you say admin.? A race map free night would be nice. If you say yes, I will post another night to advertise. Also if it's possible, send some emails out to veterans. I really miss this Assault server the way it was.

Last edited by Evillusion; 09-27-2009 at 05:42 PM..
Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Bastard
Omni Annoyance

Im in, i have been playing assault but with bots its just not fun. Hope this sticks.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
analog
Community Veteran

I'm sure we could do a "one night no race night" -
Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 PM   #4
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Default Blasphemy

Okay, I'm going to suggest something blasphemous... how about in addition to pulling the race maps we pull most of the non-bot friendly maps. (notice I did not say all)

Keep a few non-bot friendly maps in there for times when there are enough people to make it work but make it mostly bot friendly maps. When you have very few people, the bot difference can total make or break a game (e.g. 2 humans vs 1 human is such a huge team imbalance when the bots can't help... basically unplayable).

The other problem is that I don't know all the maps. I head over to the AS Omni server and pick a map and most times end up with a map that the bots either sit there or do stupid things. After I realize this, I can vote for a new map and switch, but after a few times of doing this I give up and head back to the ONS server. Having bot playable maps would help keep people around and regain some momentum. If and when the server gets a bunch of people, you can start rolling the other non-bot friendly maps back on.

Okay, I'll save everyone the trouble now...
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 09-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
Evillusion
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
I'm sure we could do a "one night no race night" -
Great news! Would it be ok or appropriate if I mentioned the date over at the Onslaught forum? I imagine many active players go straight there without even looking in here due to cricket noise. Just want to maximize the exposure. Plus it can give those who cannot get into the Onsl. server even to spectate, something to do. I'm now checking my calender to choose the right day. I'm thinking a Friday or Saturday. If Friday maybe start around 5 or 6pm. A Saturday can be even earlier. Will get back.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
Evillusion
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
Okay, I'm going to suggest something blasphemous... how about in addition to pulling the race maps we pull most of the non-bot friendly maps. (notice I did not say all)

Keep a few non-bot friendly maps in there for times when there are enough people to make it work but make it mostly bot friendly maps. When you have very few people, the bot difference can total make or break a game (e.g. 2 humans vs 1 human is such a huge team imbalance when the bots can't help... basically unplayable).

The other problem is that I don't know all the maps. I head over to the AS Omni server and pick a map and most times end up with a map that the bots either sit there or do stupid things. After I realize this, I can vote for a new map and switch, but after a few times of doing this I give up and head back to the ONS server. Having bot playable maps would help keep people around and regain some momentum. If and when the server gets a bunch of people, you can start rolling the other non-bot friendly maps back on.

Okay, I'll save everyone the trouble now...
You said nothing wrong Fuzzy. I played today and was in a situation to choose to leave the poor 1 other human with the confused bots for the remaining 10 mins. or with great pain stick in there because he or she didn't know to vote another map. I think the fact that a lot of Assault maps have sucky bot support shows how the designers probably never thought there would be less than 20 humans on the server. That's how popular it was.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Poor bot support has nothing to do with how arrogant Epic was(n't), it's because AS was essentially hacked in at the last minute and they never tweaked the AI to support it. That and a lot of mappers make terrain that isn't exactly natural so you have to force the bots to go along predetermined routes, if they even make it that far.

We could do no racing maps, either remove them from the rotation or just veto votes if people are stupid about it.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault