Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 07-05-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
Xexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
I saw this too. I don't think its a hack, but for some reason certain "lags" or shots missing seems to center around certain players..Xexx for one. I've watched him eject and be unhurt from a vehicle exploding that he was in more than one time, more often than not...timing is uncanny. Now maybe Xexx is just really good at timing things too. Xexx is also really good at cycling the shield/shot on the Aegis, esp in TAL. [As a side story for those that think its all about hacks..I had a buddy who we were LAN gaming (that should date it) playing either Quake or Half-Life and we all swore up and down he was cheating/hacking....so I let him play on my Rig...and he just happily went along and mopped the floor with us. Moral: Some players are just better, Moral 2: [Quoting Smoker] Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield]

To be fair, Xexx was unhappy as he got nailed by secondary ION fire while in a HH in Minus...he claimed he was far away, but on my map he was directly overhead (and I don't think he knew I was there)..and I nailed him. So it can go both ways.

Overall, I think there's some players that just "feel" faster and end up being harder to kill. What I think we are seeing is that at times with all the vehicles, projectiles etc, the engine has a hard time keeping up. Certain vehicles, certain projectiles (either large area of effect or many projectiles) have a harder time tracking than say a single tank shot (want proof...how's that Nexus Lag feel on Minus Nightwolf). Ion lag is always variable from my POV, I'd hit ION tanks watched them explode then fire and kill me (they blast should dissipate if the tank is killed), watched badgers driver right through the blast etc. Remember we are on a 15+ year old engine..even faster CPU/RAM etc might not be able to keep up. I also think there can be some network settings on the client that can help efficiency...and ping does come into play... For example, I can't hit scan really at all on CEONSS like I can on Omni becuase of the ping.

It would be cool if we could optimize the server/clients for the best interaction, but I don't know if it can be done. I haven't seen these issues on other servers (RMD, SV/DW) but those hardly ever get the volume of players like Omni. Might be an interesting experiement to go play Minus (if they have it on DW) and see how it runs with say 12 v 12 and see if we have the issues. It could be the map or vehicle versions too.

While at times this stuff really ticks me off..look at it like real world...stuff doesn't always work the way it was supposed to.....
I noticed you right before the death, but definitely felt I was really far above you, although depending on the map the ION alt fire is either useless or pretty deadly for anyone nearby. There's a lot of stuff that goes on at omni that feels off. I think the engine is definitely showing its age and the modifications have effected some playability. I played VCTF as my favorite gametype for years on CTC and none of this was a problem. There are jumping trial maps that I've tried online and just can't pass, but once you play them locally in server mode they're very little problem. I recently switched to offline play to test some maps as well and everything is just WAY more fluid. Hitscanning becomes way easier, and hits just land way more.

I have to consider this is probably even worse on my end since I live in a rural area and don't have any wired broadband, I switch between 2 wireless connections (one is a small local ISP) that have varying degrees of usability for gaming. Sometimes they'll perform well for a couple weeks and other times I'm trying to figure out why my ping is 200 or the game ping is double what the command line ping to the server is. Really hoping Starlink will bring some consistency and be available, or maybe 5G will improve the wireless.

Seems the ion destruction animation will trigger very quickly sometimes too, and the ion blast will land in the environment but the damage will radiate outwards with a small time delay. If the ion driver dies (or even gets out) before the damage radiates out, the damage will be unregistered to a player and will kill people on both teams if it hits them. If this happens, you can see in the player log where 3 or 4 players were OBLITERATED by the ion fire but the damage wasn't attributed to anyone. As far as I remember, originally the ion was only used sparingly in assault maps so I have to think there was a reason for that.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:18 PM   #22
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacteria View Post
So just in Tanks A Lot, Xexx is running something that makes him unkillable...2 direct hits with Ion Tank Primary on foot, exposed...nothing...fucking cheater...DOMM saw it too...FFS
Oh, and forgot to mention... I don't know much about you Bacteria, you seem to be fairly new here, but DOMM is absolutely one of the worst long-time players this server has ever had on it, so I think he's an incredibly unreliable character witnesses. After 16 years, he still doesn't understand how to dodge jump... FFS.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:17 AM   #23
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Oh, and forgot to mention... I don't know much about you Bacteria, you seem to be fairly new here, but DOMM is absolutely one of the worst long-time players this server has ever had on it, so I think he's an incredibly unreliable character witnesses. After 16 years, he still doesn't understand how to dodge jump... FFS.

Ah come on now, don't be ragging on DOMM, he's my friend. He is an upstanding member of the community and never hates on anybody. Not many can claim that. He knows his limitations unlike many here. Reminds me of the saying that 90% of automobile drivers THINK they drive better than 90% of the people on the road. Let that sink in for a moment, haha!
Old 07-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #24
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Ah come on now, don't be ragging on DOMM, he's my friend. He is an upstanding member of the community and never hates on anybody. Not many can claim that. He knows his limitations unlike many here. Reminds me of the saying that 90% of automobile drivers THINK they drive better than 90% of the people on the road. Let that sink in for a moment, haha!
Appreciate your opinion McLovin, but I'll decide upon who I "rag on" and who I don't. Neither personal friendships nor preference or dislike toward particular player personalities have anything to do with my opinion of varying play styles and talents. It's absolutely nothing personal, just my observations over many, many years of play. I'm not as astute or diplomatic with my words as some would prefer, so I apologize for the uncouthness of my vernacular and will make an attempt of exuding my point of view without being so vociferous.

I have to respectfully disagree about the understanding and acknowledgement of personal limitations with regard to both this game and acumen in automobile driving abilities. In comparing either players' or drivers' skillsets, detailed records exist (or in UT's case, there used to be) showing both the successes and failures of either activity. Add to that the body of anecdotal evidence from a community of hundreds of individual observers, then I believe you gain a fairly reliable picture of one's competencies and ineptitudes.

One can be at the same time "an upstanding member of the community" and a victory inhibiting teammate or a reckless driver with a multitude of tickets and at-fault accidents. It should be beyond argument at this late point in the history of UT that some players can and do often snatch defeat from the jaws of victory through a series of fallacious actions, including, but not limited to, "suiciding" or joy-riding in so-called "over-powered" vehicles that can, in the hands of more adeptly skilled players, deliver victory for their team. So, when incompetent players repeatedly abscond with the mino, dragon, falcon or any other "OP" vehicle and subsequently either fail to engage the enemy where most logically needed or lack the capacity to be an effective commander of said vehicle, I find it incredibly difficult to believe those players fully understand their own limitations with regard to how their actions affect the overall ability of their team to prevail.

Perhaps unwittingly, your reference to the majority of drivers erroneously believing they are better than most other drivers actually helps to disprove your assertion of self-awareness of limitations. This phenomenon of cognitive bias has been substantially studied in the field of psychology, and is better known as the Dunning-Kruger effect.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:11 PM   #25
Bacteria
[OMNI]_Bacteria

Quote:
I've been playing at Omni since 2007...soooo....yeah. Look, I just reported what I saw. Take it for what it is, some dude reporting something.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #26
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
I've been playing at Omni since 2007...soooo....yeah. Look, I just reported what I saw. Take it for what it is, some dude reporting something.
Sorry, I didn't recognize your handle, just don't recall having seen you around until recently. But, my memory is certainly as fallible as anyone's. Regardless...

It was a bit more than just "some dude reporting something," it was a flat out accusation of cheating. In case there's any question of the assertion:

Quote:
So just in Tanks A Lot, Xexx is running something that makes him unkillable...2 direct hits with Ion Tank Primary on foot, exposed...nothing...fucking cheater...DOMM saw it too...FFS
As Pooty, myself and others have pointed out, there are many factors that can contribute to the appearance or actuality of someone not taking damage in a 16 year old online game. Ignorance to those factors can easily lead someone into believing cheating is the most likely culprit. I and others were pointing out those things in an attempt to get players to consider that cheating is not always the first conclusion that should be reached when anomalies like this occur.

We've all been on both the clean and shit-end of the stick when it comes to taking damage that should obliterate and it doesn't. All I ask is not to immediately jump to the "so-and-so is a fucking cheater" conclusion, and maybe post your concerns in a new thread or in a PM to admins, instead of muddying up a completely unrelated conversation on core spamming. I apologize to all for chasing this bait down the forum rabbit hole and contributing to the muddiness myself.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #27
duh
www.gotse.cx

holy fuck, i love this thread...

and people wonder why OMNI is dying....
Old 07-06-2020, 04:37 PM   #28
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
holy fuck, i love this thread...

and people wonder why OMNI is dying....
Interesting correlation you make there between forum discussions/debates and the false premise that "OMNI is dying." I've seen the server full to nearly-full on many nights over the last several weeks and months. Sure, there's light traffic days and players don't stay as late as they used to, but it should be somewhat expected given the age of both the game and the players here.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #29
Bacteria
[OMNI]_Bacteria

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't recognize your handle, just don't recall having seen you around until recently. But, my memory is certainly as fallible as anyone's. Regardless...

All I ask is not to immediately jump to the "so-and-so is a fucking cheater" conclusion, and maybe post your concerns in a new thread or in a PM to admins, instead of muddying up a completely unrelated conversation on core spamming. I apologize to all for chasing this bait down the forum rabbit hole and contributing to the muddiness myself.
That's reasonable...and BTW duh; Omni has 'died' like 6 times in the last 12 years...but 'we' always keep it going..it survives.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #30
dognuts
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I have to agree with Enyo although I wouldn't use the same words in describing DOMM's play. He is absolutely atrocious at playing this game in almost every respect. With that, Enyo isn't wrong. His passion for the game in admirable however and he is a "likeable" guy. He is just a horrible player in almost every respect except some incidences of teamwork. That said, it doesn't mean that I don't like DOMM. He seems like a decent guy. My comments are just based in reality. His being a "good guy" doesn't offset his effectiveness in playing the game.

dog
Old 07-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #31
dognuts
Getting there...

Quote:
I felt that's essentially what I was telling him, but yeah, that's pretty much my attitude about it too.

And I'll agree with Pooty that the main thing you do that's truly spammy/douchy is the dragon bombing on the roof of MTMU. Doing so is considered acceptable only when the enemy primary is unlocked, but sometimes you do it repeatedly even when the enemy primaries and sometimes secondaries are still locked. It's been discussed in this forum over and over, and it's been clearly established that spawn killing a core repeatedly with a power vehicle when the enemy primaries are still locked is a kickable offense. So don't whine when an admin kicks you for it.
That paragraph encapsulates my entire point Enyo. That's all I was saying. He was implying that I wouldn't know the difference between legit spamming of the core and being an outright dick who needs to be kicked. I'm not the most brilliant guy around but I can tell the difference between the two.

dog

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught