Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #1
Dead Dredd
Just Registered

Default Kicked for helping the team.

Greetings fellow Unreal players. I'm new here so I need to ask for help. I've only been in your server about 3 weeks now so I don't know all of the rules apparently so can someone help me? On Friday I was probably having the best game since I started playing here. The enemy was just one node out from our base and we were being overrun. I was at the top of the base in a turret and shooting the enemy from there. I killed a few tanks and flyers on my own and helped to kill some with the help of others including the dragon and the minnow. I'm constantly hearing a number of you saying the dragon is here or the minnow is there so killing them is obviously a priority. So again, I'm killing or helping to kill a number of the enemy and after helping kill the dragon and the minnow that was coming up main street to our core I got kicked from the game and told I was not helping the team. Can someone explain this to me? How is killing the opponent not helping the team? How is stopping the opponent from getting nodes not helping the team? How is killing the dragon and the minnow not helping the team?

I should also mention that I shut off chat a few years ago when it became apparent that anything is allowed. The final straw for me was someone talking about have sex with animals over and over and it being allowed at another server. I would also like to ask for help in how to shut off the voice chat. The usual settings are already shut off and I'm still hearing others. There are a few reasons I want to shut it off. The main reason is those that are not going by the rules stated when the game starts. Isn't there one that says "no religious slurs"? I'm constantly hearing just that. Jesus Christ is NOT a cuss word and I find it offensive that it is allowed. Does anyone know how to shut it off? Thank you.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #2
Xexx

Don't know about the situation you were kicked in, but if your team has been pushed back to the base, you will never regain ground by sitting in the base in stationary defenses. You should almost always be moving to the nearest node you need to control as fast as possible, unless you see an immediate threat that is best responded to by stationary turrets. As it comes down to it, most stationary turrets are simply in useless places and people who sit in them too long aren't helpful. You need to be on the move _to relevant places_

If your team gains a forward node and you're behind the node, you can teleport to that node by suicide and respawn or from any other node you control. Strategic suicide if you are on foot is a great way of advancing and protecting ground your team just made. You can't spawn there if it's under attack, however.

You can ignore individual players in the communication tab in game by pressing ESC and hitting Communications.

Most of the rules like "no religious slurs" usually come with qualifiers that it be directed at specific individuals and consistently repeated behavior. The game is over 15 years old and only active during certain hours, enforcing rules like that in a country where religion is on the decline and many people wouldn't call that a slur to begin with would leave us with little to no players.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Enyo
Getting there...

Dead Dredd, I cannot speak to your specific situation and there is no record of an admin kicking you in the admin forum logs... all admins are supposed to keep a log in the admin forum section every time we kick someone. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, we're not perfect and sometime forget to log events, but anyway...

If you are in a turret and actively helping your team, meaning there's actually a strategic reason for being in the turret, then that would not be grounds to kick you. Like Xexx pointed, you're much more help by trying to get to the next node and build it, but you should generally not be kicked just for being in a turret.

HOWEVER... if your team owns most of the map's nodes and you're sitting back at the core in a turret, then yeah, I could see getting kicked for that after a gentle warning to engage where your team needs you.

Regarding slurs, Xexx was also correct in that it usually applies when being directed at someone, or a group of people represented by a religion. Although yelling "Jesus Christ" in frustration during the game could be considered as "taking the Lord's name in vain," it is far from being a slur, especially considering it's probably most often used by people that consider themselves Christians.

If you want to mute all voice chat, there's an option for that under your audio settings, just uncheck the box for Voice Chat. I don't recommend it as this is a team game and voice chat is heavily used by a lot of good players to communicate strategy and where the enemy is. If there's particular players you want to mute instead of everyone, you can open the player list during play, right click on their name and click to ignore voice chat.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
provert
Just Registered

He was actually vote kicked by his team for sitting at the core the whole round.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by provert View Post
He was actually vote kicked by his team for sitting at the core the whole round.

What!?

Successful vote kicks are about as common as seeing Bigfoot riding a Unicorn!

Which leads me to believe that the kick was fully justified.

Last edited by Flounder; 01-24-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Old 02-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #6
Dead Dredd
Just Registered

No I was not vote kicked by the team nor was I sitting in the core the whole time. Please keep your lies to yourself. I was kicked by dogsballs or something like that. I know that because I received a statement saying so. I had been in the core turret for a whole of about 2 minutes. The rest of the game I was in different tanks dying which does not help the team, does it? That is how I ended up in the turret in the first place.

I should also mention that yes, I do know how to play onslaught. I've played this game since it came out as well as UT99 and UT2003. I know how to move forward when it is time to do so and since I was still killing the other team and they were still trying to get the closest nodes it wasn't time. Would you rather have me take a tank that someone else would do a better job in? I've played at CEONSS for a little time now as well as other servers throughout the years. What I don't know is your tanks and your maps. I've been taking the 2nd or 3rd seats in the tanks so I can learn what to do. Xexx, you have been one of those that I have gotten into your tank. I've killed flyers and other tanks when doing so. I've also jumped out and healed your tank when needed. Isn't that helping the team? It is one of the main things I've tried to do since I got here. So, is it ok for me to actually try and learn these things or will I just be kicked for trying to do so?

I should also mention that I play this game for fun. It is sad that I was kicked from your server for having fun. It is not fun dying over and over trying to take a node and I will change my play because of this which is how I got in the turret. It is also not fun listening to someone bitch on the intercom about why the team is losing or already lost, hence another reason for wanting to shut it off.

One last thing, I've tried using the link tank but that thing is probably the most worthless tank that I've found here. Is there a reason it is not on par with the other tanks? It seems very weak and seems to be the last tank taken. A few tweaks and it could be fun and useful.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Dredd View Post
... I was kicked by dogsballs or something like that...

DOGSBALLS! LOL Yup, that's him, know him well. There's even a mino maneuver on MTMU maps that he is famous for, "The Dog's Balls Spot".

We don't kick people for being beginners, newbies, clue-less types, poor strategy, etc. I'm not saying you are in that category, but having an unfamilar nickname, DogsBalls must of thought you were screwing around. We get those time-wasters every once in a while.

Being in a core turrent is a "hot topic" for many us because we've seen idlers do this many times. And we all hate to lose, like PTSD. Every time I see somebody in a core-turrent I figure they are screwing around, not helping their team the best they could. And it's frustrating as hell when your team is down to their last nodes and tempers are running red. I'd chalk it down to experience and avoid the core turrents at all costs. A shock rifle is way more effective.

Don't be caught in a core-turrent when "DogsBalls" is around, he won't think much of you, haha!
Old 02-05-2020, 02:36 AM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Dredd View Post
No I was not vote kicked by the team nor was I sitting in the core the whole time. Please keep your lies to yourself. I was kicked by dogsballs or something like that. I know that because I received a statement saying so. I had been in the core turret for a whole of about 2 minutes. The rest of the game I was in different tanks dying which does not help the team, does it? That is how I ended up in the turret in the first place.

I should also mention that yes, I do know how to play onslaught. I've played this game since it came out as well as UT99 and UT2003. I know how to move forward when it is time to do so and since I was still killing the other team and they were still trying to get the closest nodes it wasn't time. Would you rather have me take a tank that someone else would do a better job in? I've played at CEONSS for a little time now as well as other servers throughout the years. What I don't know is your tanks and your maps. I've been taking the 2nd or 3rd seats in the tanks so I can learn what to do. Xexx, you have been one of those that I have gotten into your tank. I've killed flyers and other tanks when doing so. I've also jumped out and healed your tank when needed. Isn't that helping the team? It is one of the main things I've tried to do since I got here. So, is it ok for me to actually try and learn these things or will I just be kicked for trying to do so?

I should also mention that I play this game for fun. It is sad that I was kicked from your server for having fun. It is not fun dying over and over trying to take a node and I will change my play because of this which is how I got in the turret. It is also not fun listening to someone bitch on the intercom about why the team is losing or already lost, hence another reason for wanting to shut it off.

One last thing, I've tried using the link tank but that thing is probably the most worthless tank that I've found here. Is there a reason it is not on par with the other tanks? It seems very weak and seems to be the last tank taken. A few tweaks and it could be fun and useful.
The link tank can be pretty powerful if you stay far from your opponents and are good at leading your shots (against both vehicles and infantry). It's usually best if you see them before they see you because they have low HP. The laser turret is also good against flyers. This tank is best sneaked into a node area you're trying to build, or to hang out on a main path (or follow a mino) and be a portable heal station for friendly tanks.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught