Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #21
SHAGBOT
Jay-Z [>^-^]>

I rarely take any super vehicle. I only use them if the server isn't very full. I know there's always going to be someone who wants to use the super vehicle. I always check around a node before I take off.

If there is anyone else at a node, I'll let them have first choice. Like on bf, I'll take the tank or bender if there's nobody else, otherwise they get first choice. I give rides if there is anyone else that wants one.

Let's say I have a goliath on bf, I jump out and I'm healing it, then someone helps me heal it, they wait for me to jump back in on the main cannon. I'll tell them that they can drive it, and they do. Then I'll either take the turret, or else I'll try to build a node.

I just believe in letting everyone try stuff. I help people if they need it, and this makes me feel good, and it makes them feel good as well. They now know that there is someone there willing to take their time to explain things a little better.

When I was an iep, there were people who helped me, so why shouldn't I help the ieps? Even if you received little help when you were an iep, you shouldn't feel like you don't need to help others.

As for everything like stealing benders and stuff, I get a little mad, but I don't say anything. I don't really care, and most of the time, I figure that it's an iep. He/she will learn that this is not proper etiquette. Regulars understand this etiquette, but ieps do not, so let's help them understand it, and not get mad at them for their lack of knowledge when it comes to etiquette.

The only exception for getting mad at someone not obeying ons etiquette, is if the person actually knows the etiquette. My basic feeling that has not already been said, is that proper etiquette is to let others know what is proper etiquette, and what is not.

spider mine spamming spawn killing camper killer
dm/freon/as/ons/uw
Old 02-20-2007, 10:18 PM   #22
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

Some new tips on the more advanced techniques of ONS.

Manta:- To load up a manta with mines you first jump ON TOP of the manta. You can load it up by standing in front but every 6 mines or so will detonate, hurt you, and send the manta flying off. You can load all 8 mines onto a manta, 4 on each wing. Try to get them on the edges of the wing. Now, if you are very (and I do mean VERY) good with mantas you can attempt to use your loaded manta against the enemy. If you are not - dont. You will likely blast yourself to pieces with your mines. Jump off the roof and go find something else.

If you see a manta that is loaded with mines take the thing - dont walk on by. Those mines will not hurt you when they explode, and will give your manta a tank killing ability. DONT fly through the corona of nodes as they will explode and be wasted.

Embarrassment:- I dont touch raptors and I wont go near Mantas a lot of the time. This is because I utterly suck balls in those. I am not particularly fond of Pallies or tanks either. I'll only take those if desperate. I'll happily camp an area spamming skymines, but I am not good with the twinbeams, so if someone asks for them I'll give them up.

If you are not good in a particular vehicle there is no shame in giving it up for a more experienced driver. You actually then prove yourself to be an effective player, because you are playing for the team. Become competant offline, then become advanced online. Saying you know how to use something and then getting killed in it right away, costing your entire team the game, will not make a good impression.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #23
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorzakk View Post
Some new tips on the more advanced techniques of ONS.
Good tips Gorz.. I will add one thing about the mining of the Manta. If you mine the Manta up... fly it at some foot soldiers.. then jump off of it a couple of things will happen; you'll probably get one kill as the empty manta smashes into the head of one of them, and, if you time it right, the exploding mines will not only kill one or two more, the explosions will kick the manta back towards you for you to hop back in and continue on your way.

And nice point on vehicle use. In Battlefront, if my squad has taken the other teams bunker, I am deadly with it. However, if the other team still has it's bunker node.. I will grab it and run it back to our side.. I will then solicit a driver for it as I SUCK at using it from our side. I know my limitations... much better for me to be doing other stuff and let someone who knows how to use it from there.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #24
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

Hardspike has some of the best manta'n skills ive seen.

I witnessed him pop over the hill durring BF hop the manta and leave a perfect trail of "bombing run" mines right ontop of a tank killing it. Pamanator (who was in the tank) was like WOOOOW how the hell do you do that!

(it was truely a beautiful thing to witness)

I used to think that of all the veichals the tank was one of the most generic for "jump in and go" Oh how ive been proven wrong. It wasnt untill recently that I relized that there are a wide range of skill even when driveing something as "simple" as a gollath.

PS ill gladly give up my manta i HATE them. Im mildly better in a Raptor, and between a raptor and Cicada (or as Carpe says Shakada) ill take the big bug.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 AM   #25
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtmare View Post
(or as Carpe says Shakada) ill take the big bug.
Shakada = Canadian for "I'm about to die".

It is not one of my favourites to tool around in, I usually just use it as a node killer... it is a VERY big target for those good with the Shock.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:04 PM   #26
its not 1337, its 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGBOT View Post
I rarely take any super vehicle. I only use them if the server isn't very full. I know there's always going to be someone who wants to use the super vehicle. I always check around a node before I take off.
Yeah...except that one time...Shag and I were at the base and the mini spawned. We both stood there looking at each other going, "you take it", "no, you take it". I think that Shag finally took the driver spot and I did some gunning.:081:

I stay away from most flying things. I hate 'em. (hence the reason that I despise that ArtofManta twit, totally lame playing). Give me the big guns. tanks and benders. I was having fun pegging and being pegged by loeg from across the map on homesweethome til someone blew me up with a manta, which was totally crappy. I like the scorps too. I'll also take the lower gunning position on a cicada which is a neat change of pace sometimes.

Oh yeah, talking about mines and such, you can throw a few grenades on your tank before driving off, that way if someone in a raptor starts buggin' ya, and you jump out to shock/avril them and they try to pull that "jump from raptor and take tank move and get in", you just switch to your grenade gun and detonate em. nice and fun.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #27
Big_Al_B
I Hate This Map

Quote:
Hardspike has some of the best manta'n skills ive seen.

I witnessed him pop over the hill durring BF hop the manta and leave a perfect trail of "bombing run" mines right ontop of a tank killing it. Pamanator (who was in the tank) was like WOOOOW how the hell do you do that!

(it was truely a beautiful thing to witness)

Bah, Hardspike is good but most of his tricks aren't so amazing.

Some Goliath/BF tips.

Usually on BF he's in a Manta and I'm in a Goliath and if he fly's by with mines that land close to you. Um... shoot them! Mines have a slight delay when they hit the ground so if your quick you can destroy them all in one shot. Only way your screwed is if they land right on top of you.

If a Manta is circling you, don't panic just try to wait for after it's jump and (most people know this but) shoot the ground below the Manta. Trying to pick it out of the sky is pretty hopeless.

To all Raptor pilots... Never fly straight at a goliath from a low altitude. Your just asaking to be Eagle Eyed. Side note to Raptor pilots I'm starting to get good at Eagle Eying Raptors flying sideways now. You just have to pay attention to the direction and speed their flying and then aim where you think they'll be. If you miss, then jump into the machine gun turret (press 2) and hopefully get them before they get you. You'll probably need to bail though cause you usually lose the battle of Goliath Turret vs. Raptor. Unless the Raptor pilot has a really bad aim.

EDIT: We need to condense this into one little guide/post. No IEP is gonna read 3 pages of blah blah blah.
Old 02-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #28
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al_B View Post

EDIT: We need to condense this into one little guide/post. No IEP is gonna read 3 pages of blah blah blah.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:58 PM   #29
AyEyE
Centurion

Quote:
We need to condense this into one little guide/post. No IEP is gonna read 3 pages of blah blah blah.
Meh, I read them all.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #30
SHAGBOT
Jay-Z [>^-^]>

Hey Big, you might want to teach Carpe the art of flying a raptor in a direction other than straight at a goliath. As I seem to remember, I've gotten maybe five-seven eagle eyes on Carpe.

I'm sure new forum account people will read the whole thing, but they're not going to remember it all. I think it's best to learn from experience, not from reading. I think we just need to take the time to explain stuff to ieps.

I'll answer questions and such for the whole match if I have to. It's not going to hurt if you take a break from your insane monstrous pwnage, and help someone. You should help out every single iep, because you'll help them understand stuff, they'll probably come back to the server, and it's the right thing to do.

Most ieps probably don't even know about this forum, it's probably just us regulars reading it. At least I got some of my idears out there.

spider mine spamming spawn killing camper killer
dm/freon/as/ons/uw
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM   #31
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAGBOT View Post
Hey Big, you might want to teach Carpe the art of flying a raptor in a direction other than straight at a goliath. As I seem to remember, I've gotten maybe five-seven eagle eyes on Carpe.
puuuuulease Shaggy. Sheesh.

*makes note to pick on Shaggy next time out*

Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM   #32
Pi

Quote:
No IEP is gonna read 3 pages of blah blah blah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyEyE View Post
Meh, I read them all.
yeah, ayeye is right, some would read all this:081::081:

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 03-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #33
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

After a dreadful game of Battlefront last night, MAKE THEM COME HERE AND READ THIS!

Old 03-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #34
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorzakk View Post
After a dreadful game of Battlefront last night, MAKE THEM COME HERE AND READ THIS!
priceless Thanks for starting off my day with a laugh.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #35
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

THe other night we had 3 of us ontop of a bender and a noob in seat 2 spamming away... i said "dont spam the wepons in the benders" about that time he lit off the sky mines and blew all 3 of us off like leaf's in the wind.

needless to say i was pisssed...

Old 03-02-2007, 10:09 AM   #36
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
THe other night we had 3 of us ontop of a bender and a noob in seat 2 spamming away... i said "dont spam the wepons in the benders" about that time he lit off the sky mines and blew all 3 of us off like leaf's in the wind.

needless to say i was pisssed...
Someone made a comment a long time ago about people not having sound on, not hearing voice... seemed like that was a ludicrous idea to me.

However, at times I wonder if it might be true. Quite often I request idiotz in the Bender to lay off firing the weapons (most typically in BF on the way to 7/8) because not only does it advertise your position but it is just plain annoying... and usually they just keep doing it.

I'm sure it isn't anyone who frequents the forums.. but just in case... it is fine to fire off your turret a few times when starting out (EXCEPT the sky mines in BF) to get a "feel" for the weapon, to warm it up. But please don't continue to fire it (in any vehicle). There is a varying degree of stealth (map dependant) in ONS, and if you're spammin' a turret you are eliminating the ability to surprise the other team.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #37
JDub
Getting there...

Whatever became of Lithium? Did he get banned or just sick of people not helping out in BF?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #38
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

I sent him a PM a week or so ago, no answer. He was not banned (that I'm aware of).

Katerina is also AWOL.. anyone seen her recently ?

p.s. Whatever made you think of Lithium in this thread ? (just curious).

Old 03-02-2007, 05:52 PM   #39
Big_Al_B
I Hate This Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
...However, at times I wonder if it might be true. Quite often I request idiotz in the Bender to lay off firing the weapons (most typically in BF on the way to 7/8) because not only does it advertise your position but it is just plain annoying... and usually they just keep doing it.
I can think of one reason players have sound off. They're in school and are playing with there monitor turned and the sound off. Also some shitty school computers don't even have sound cards always.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #40
Big_Al_B
I Hate This Map

I'm gonna double post cause I have a beef.

When I'm linking a node and you jump out or walk up to help, YOU LINK ME! Not start your own chain and jump infront of me. I was linking before you were so you link me. Got it.

And the opposite applys, if someone else is linking and you want to help, then you link them.

In certain occasions when a node was once open but now is locked I have no problem with no one linking at all to heal it. Kinda a free for all kinda thing.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught