Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-13-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

UT2k4 New to ONS? Wondering about ONS etiquette? Read this

No newb bashing here. I myself am someone of severely limited skill. However I have noticed that a fair number of people are making some pretty elementary mistakes in the game. One of the great things about ONS is you can be completely crap at this game but still be an immensely useful player to your team if you follow some basic rules.

Mantas carry more than one. On 32p maps that I've not had a hand in rides tend to be scarce. Look around and see if there is anyone about. If there is, don't jump into the manta and race off. Jump onto the roof of the manta and look to see if the other guy gets the idea. If not then zoom off. Hellbenders have 3 seats. Give rides. If someone is riding on the roof of the hellbender and you are in the gunner seat don't spam weapons - you'll knock them off.

If you are in the gunner seat of ANY vehicle don't spam weapons. Particularly Leviathans. It may sound strange but stealth is essential to the successful use of these kinds of weapons. As soon as people see a Minotaur or Levi on ONS the entire team will know about it in seconds (if they are playing as a team) and someone will be along to deal with it shortly. When you spam weapons you give away its position.

Tank gunners - don't shoot the people, shoot the node. You'll stop people from being able to respawn at that node. The tanks main cannon can deal with infantry and vehicles more effectively than the minigun.

Don't make love to chickens - its illegal.

You cant heal the core (even if I am asking you to), and you cannot destroy locked nodes. Does that mean attacking a locked node is always a bad idea? Nope. If a node in the chain is flashing your team colour, and has no flame aura, chances are its going to be charged pretty soon. Head for the next node unless your team has directed you to a problem elsewhere.

If you see an abandoned enemy vehicle grab it and whisk it back to your own core ASAP and heal it up. LOOK AFTER IT. In doing this, you've stopped their vehicle respawning. This only applies if that vehicle is particularly important on the map of course. But you should NEVER destroy an enemies abandoned vehicle if its sat there smoking. Let them smoke away. Again it stops them from respawning.

(I see experienced players doing this) DONT drive scorpions to another vehicle and then just dump them. Other people use those rides. The scorpion is the single most underrated weapon in the whole of UT. Every 2 seconds it can fire 7 of its green blobs on a string, each individual blob doing 65 points of damage when it detonates. That's 227.5 damage per second - more than a tank. You take a ride like this out of the game you are hurting your team.

Etiquette:-

Playing winter Torlan last night I took an abandoned enemy raptor with around 40 health back to our core tower. I got out and whizzed my link gun out to heal the thing up. Before I'd emptied more than about 5 link into it someone else got in it and flew off. :down: That kind of thing is frowned upon in ONS. Stealing teammates vehicles is frustrating to them and makes people less likely to get out to heal vehicles for fear of having them pinched. ONS is a team game - help your team, don't fight against them.

Don't moan about people with a low score. Depending on the map they may be doing a very important job and be getting no score credit for it. Linking the Minotaur on TMU will yield no points but could be instrumental in winning the match, same with linking the Ion in Tanks-A-Lot. Harassing enemy tanks in Battlefront with scorps/benders wont give you a high score but can help win the match. Score doesn't mean a whole lot in ONS.

Anyone want to add to this?
Old 02-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #2
Riddick69
Lord Marshal

First one to a nodes gets the pick of the vehicles...

For instance, in Tanks-a-lot, if I get to the node where the ION tank spawns, I should get to drive it.

I don't like when I get there first and get the node up and someone behind me jumps into the drivers seat and takes off. :tong:

My UT3 Maps for PC/PS3
Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #3
its not 1337, its 337

Default Re: New to ONS? Wondering about ONS etiquette? Read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorzakk
Don't make love to chickens - its illegal.
I think there was a farm outside Seattle somewhere that would let you for a price but it was shut down after the horse incident.

hmmm, I've already said too much. :shock:

I agree with your thoughts gorz. Also, don't take a vehicle that you have no experience with if its a super vehicle (ion, mino, levi). Let an experienced player take the 1st seat and you take the 2nd seat a few times first. This lets you at least watch an experienced player handle the vehicle and gives you a feel for how it all works and its uses within the battle. Plus you can make enemy players dance with the minigun turret, which is cool. I still won't take the mino in TMU if there's others on my team that know how to use it better than I, I'll take the secondary turret position (or is it tertiary?) and hop off for link duty, but that's usually it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

most of the above has been covered in this thread

http://www.omnipotents.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7182

which also gives some basic "how to" on some of the more popular maps we play hear at )o(

It should be noted that repeated poor team playing (stealing other peoples rides, being stupid in key vehicals etc ) is likely to get you kicked from the game. (we do take this ONS stuff seriously )

Old 02-13-2007, 09:56 AM   #5
Riddick69
Lord Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1ghtmare
most of the above has been covered in this thread

http://www.omnipotents.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7182

which also gives some basic "how to" on some of the more popular maps we play hear at )o(

It should be noted that repeated poor team playing (stealing other peoples rides, being stupid in key vehicals etc ) is likely to get you kicked from the game. (we do take this ONS stuff seriously )
I was looking for that same thread but could not remember what the subject line was. Thanks.

My UT3 Maps for PC/PS3
Old 02-13-2007, 10:01 AM   #6
AyEyE
Centurion

Maybe we can get this one stickied by a Mod? Please? It's a good primer.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:38 PM   #7
Saucypants
Mostly Harmless

Great post Gorz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick69
First one to a nodes gets the pick of the vehicles...

For instance, in Tanks-a-lot, if I get to the node where the ION tank spawns, I should get to drive it.

I don't like when I get there first and get the node up and someone behind me jumps into the drivers seat and takes off. :tong:
I couldn't disagree with you more, (unless you liked to bang chickens, in which case, there would be some additional disagreement).

Gorz said that ONS is a team sport, and as such the best driver should get into that vehicle. You get points for building the node, but of course that is a moot point because as stated score doesn't matter in ONS, but those points are your reward and you have no rights or claims to anything that spawns unless you are competent at handling it. I'm almost always in that shitbox at the beginning of TMU and the first to build a node, but as I'm linking I am also looking for others around me and when I see something like 2n00b4U I'll take what I can, but if I see any of our senior members that hardware is all theirs.

Effectively, you're telling us that I should be driving the Ion Tank because I got a quicker jump on you. Our team will suffer.

I think etiquette here should be a voice chat to say " Saucy, let me take that Ion" or if I'm charging a wounded vehicle, I will gladly give it up if such a request is made.

Don't forget the other team is dealing with IEP's as well. I'll say that JDub and Master Cheese effectively handle IEP's in this way with forceful grace from what I've seen. Since this community seems to be growing and attracting new players, it will be a constant battle.

But what is UT without a little challenge in every mix? These dynamics are what makes it so great.

See you out there.

Dave

OMNIPOTENTS TEAMSPEAK SERVER: voice.omnipotents.com:23000
CLIENT: http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads
Old 02-13-2007, 01:59 PM   #8
AyEyE
Centurion

[Rant]How do you decide who is the better driver? Riddick got this map added to the server. I originally showed it to him. I think it is safe to say that I originated the tactic of taking the Ion into the tunnel and straight to the enemy core (and no I never just sat there with it and racked up mega kills while the team battled overhead). I won a couple of games single handed when the map first went up. Now everyone does that maneuver, except many of them just sit, like I said, and boost their own scores to the detriment of the team. I never get the Ion on that map anymore. The point is, I am a competent driver. I often get to the node first. While I am charging it, someone stands behind me an waits for the Ion to spawn so they can go get high score. What if I just stood there too and waited for them to charge the node? I have literally seen teams lose rounds because they got off to a slow start since no one wanted to charge the node and lose their shot at the Ion. On top of that, one of the guys standing behind me while I charged the node, and who ended up getting the Ion, complained after the round about all of the people standing around waiting for the Ion! LIKE HE WAS! That's BS. That's why Riddick is right. If you aren't building nodes, killing enemy nodes, and killing the enemy core, then you aren't playing ONS and there is nothing more frustrating than losing a game and seeing someone with 400 points that didn't quit camping and help turn the game around. :smt076[/Rant]

BTW, I have also had someone ask me if I wanted the Ion in deference to the fact that I was first to the node and point on charging it. Way to go Al, that's cool.

P.S. Thanks for the Sticky!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
Pi

The trouble I'm hearing is that there is no clear way to keep valuable equipment manned with players who know what they're doing. In some situations it can be 'please otherGuy, take the big tank", while in others it is a definite race to grab gear- all depending on who is around.

The solution? use corners, dodging, and the variety of personal armaments and ninja your way around. I used to worry about who has what vehicle, then I realized that nading a tank in the trenches or shocking the minni to death in TMU, & nuking the ion or totally destroying the middle node area in TaL is much more satisfying. You can only ever do so much as far as allotting resources- and so can the other team, so learning how to do without can tip the balance.

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 02-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
AyEyE
Centurion

+1
Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #11
Saucypants
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyEyE
How do you decide who is the better driver?
You are the better driver! Decided.

Anyone participating in the forums realizes that, and for anyone who doesn't, again the point is moot and you have to deal with them verbally.

Among you and Gorz etc who can drive and win the game, and some of the regulars who decide to camp and drive their scores up, the first to the node can be your etiquette, if not a polite request.

My point was that the post seemed to be addressing us all and that's where the rule falls apart. You do not want me (and many others here) driving a major vehicle simply because we got to the node first.

I'd be happy to place a kick vote on anyone who is serving themselves above the team if that is the answer, regardless of who they are.

And there is plenty of opportunity here for me and others to get in those vehicles and gain experience with them if we choose to, so it's not like you have a monopoly on them.

OMNIPOTENTS TEAMSPEAK SERVER: voice.omnipotents.com:23000
CLIENT: http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
[Rant]How do you decide who is the better driver? ... blah blah blah blah.... That's why Riddick is right. If you aren't building nodes, killing enemy nodes, and killing the enemy core, then you aren't playing ONS and there is nothing more frustrating than losing a game and seeing someone with 400 points that didn't quit camping and help turn the game around. :smt076[/Rant]

BTW, I have also had someone ask me if I wanted the Ion in deference to the fact that I was first to the node and point on charging it. Way to go Al, that's cool.
I call it the 7-3 Slam. As you pointed out AyEye, early on no one knew of this "trick". Now it is impossible to ever get near the Ion. The odd time there have only been a few of us charging and waiting... I acquiesce to anyone that appears to want it, and do my job to support. If the Ion dies (and me along with it) then I expect to be given the same consideration to drive it the next time if I end up with the same pepes at the node. As to who should be in these vehicles, everyone has to learn at some time, but I wil say I believe it is better to let the "vets" take them on "first spawns"... the first 2-3 minutes of most ONS maps is usually critical to the end result.

I will also say the games in TanksALot have gotten more interesting of late as everyone knows the 7-3 Slam now. That means the team that works to eliminate the other teams Ion WHILE keeping theirs alive will win. Still not a fan of the map though.

Stealing vehicles; my own pet-peeve is when you are OBVIOUSLY waiting for a vehicle to spawn and someone blows by you to grab it. Just plain rude, and totally out of the spirit of ONS. There are probably only a dozen players on the ONS server to whom points really don't matter.... these individuals adapt and do whatever "job" is required of them.... any of the "point whores" who think they could do as well without the support given them are just fooling themselves.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #13
AyEyE
Centurion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucypants
You are the better driver! Decided.

Anyone participating in the forums realizes that, and for anyone who doesn't, again the point is moot and you have to deal with them verbally.

You do not want me (and many others here) driving a major vehicle simply because we got to the node first.
Well, that wasn't what I was going for. :smt081 I am a competent driver but not necessarily the best playing. Still, I don't like to take the super tanks every time (I'm usually on foot hitting nodes and spamming flak or bio goo on the tanks while linking any of ours that come by), and don't like the idea of only 133t players getting them all the time. It's actually a pretty big letdown to win TMU or TAL in a minute. I definitely do want you to get the tank. The level of skill on the )o( server is quite high and that doesn't come from only letting a select few have access to the good stuff. What I don't want is Johnnie-133t-Tank standing behind you expecting you to do all the work so that he can go get high score.

Besides, we're only taking etiquette. It's not like we are going to start punting people. Hopefully they learn teamwork.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Riddick69
Lord Marshal

Quote:
Still not a fan of the map though.
Who doesn't like TaL? You must be weird or a...a...a..Canadien. JK

Saucy, how will you ever get good at something unless you try it? Then practice it. And in Carpe's case practice it some more. :smt081

Seriously, I've gotten to the ION node second many times and gladly let someone else have it. I even let blk_wido take it when I got there first and I could tell he was dying to drive it, but he waited until I said "take it" and he jumped in and did a good job. However on the next map he proceeded to annoy Carpe in the Mino, but that's a different story.

I am anxiously awaiting Zenith's reply to this thread...

"When you are not practicing, remember, someone somewhere is practicing, and when you meet him he will win” - Ed Macauley

My UT3 Maps for PC/PS3
Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #15
Q
Bawls?

Well said, everyone. I stickified this thread for everyone to notice.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:38 PM   #16
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qett)o(E
Well said, everyone. I stickified this thread for everyone to notice.

Last edited by N1ghtmare; 02-21-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Old 02-13-2007, 04:10 PM   #17
The_Loegrus
Loudest Member

Also, the Hellbender is a potent portable turret, if someone has a bender parked and is actively using the turret....please don't hop in and take the poor gunner for a ride...he was set....he was fraggin...he was drawing the enemy to him like angry flies...driving him to his death in a minefield in 2.5 seconds...that's just COLD.

ASK! If the gunner wants to go he'll say so.

And remember Carpe's advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
Allright... lets be clear on this... DO NOT TOUCH Loegy's truck. Ever. They are his.
Even if they are parked empty somewhere... check with him first. I've actually
delivered one to him in Gravitrek... while he was appreciative, he thought the action
was more or less normal.. I mean.. they are HIS trucks after all.

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 11-29-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Old 02-13-2007, 04:51 PM   #18
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

I'm gonna disagree with you all here. I think noobs should grab the minotaur or levi sometimes, and learn how to use those rides. We are noob friendly here, and remember we were all noobs once. When you first took the minotaur out how many of you jumped out at a node and watched it charge off on its own? :smt081 Take someone with experience in the turret and do what they ask and you've got yourself a new minotaur driver.

What bugs me is when people - new or not - cant seem to play the team game. I don't mind loosing at all but when its because someone has jumped in the mino, driven it straight into the trench and got it stuck, decided its no good and then gets out and leaves it... they've been more effective at destroying their own team than the entire opposition. That sucks.

If you are a noob or unskilled you should NEVER defend. Good ONS defenders are usually those who are deathmatch or TAM experts. The ability to dance around your opponents, avoiding their shots while filling them with flak and shock is what makes a good defender. As soon as you die you cannot respawn at that node. If you die and race back and die again you are wasting your time trying. Much better you hit an unlocked node of theirs and hope its empty. Even hitting it once will prevent enemies from spawning there and if it is empty you may be able to take it down.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:52 PM   #19
Spectre

Quote:
Maybe we can get this one stickied by a Mod? Please? It's a good primer.
Done "Carpe's Etiquette Primer & Tutorial"

Old 02-13-2007, 06:40 PM   #20
AyEyE
Centurion

Thanks!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught