Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 06-13-2006, 06:07 PM   #21
HumanShield
Getting there...

Here's a question. How do I make a wall, that players can walk through, but weapon fire will not be able to pass through?

Is this possible?
Old 06-14-2006, 05:28 AM   #22
Stormblade
HARBINGER

As for a "secret wall" which appears there but really isn't. Its simple. Set up your red builder brush to the dimensions you'd need to fill the area where the "wall" is. IMO, if its an illusionary wall, go with a flat sheet brush. Pick out your texture to be used and now, when you are ready to [add] in the brush, click on [add special brush] and set the properties in the PopUp window to [non solid] [two sided]. That will successfully add in what "looks like a wall" but it really has no depth and you can pass through it.

As for how to block ALL weaponfire from passing through it. I think your only option is to create a retangular brush which encompasses the entire area of the "illusionary wall" and place a BlockingVolume there. Now you'll have to set the BlockingVolume's properties to bClassBlocker=True and hit the [add] button to create a field to choose a class to block. Now you'll have to go through the 100's of listings to find what's needed. I just tried a classblocker for "Projectiles" and that wasn't working as I thought it would. So you are probably stuck having to create multiple fields and setting up a class to block for each of the weapon types you'll have access to in that area. eek!

I'll play around with this more tonight and see if I can get you more info. unless you've figured it out already. If so, share the knowledge!

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
My UnWheel Maps, 6 within the BonusPack v1
Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 AM   #23
HumanShield
Getting there...

Actually, I wont need to block all weapon fire, if that is how it is done. I just need to block hitscan weapons at this point, I just figured all projectiles would be thought of together, I'll play around with this and see what I can find.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:13 PM   #24
DaDaWg
no u

As i mentioned in the AS-Magma(BETA) thread, i need to know how to keep the direction arrow from pointing to a power core? Also, is there a way to scale power core objectives bigger? My Power bomb mesh always spawns small, no matter how big i scale the obj.

Any ideas?
Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #25
HumanShield
Getting there...

I am currently trying to get an event to happen after two objectives are accomplished. I need to make sure both objs are down before this event triggers or else it will look stupid and broken. I am trying a scripted trigger with 2 WAITFOREVENT tags, but that does not seem to be working. I know that glacier has this kind of event with the two core panels and the opening of the door, but I can't figure out Epics triggers, I can't see everything so I am lost.

Anyone know how I should handle this?
Old 06-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #26
HumanShield
Getting there...

AHA! I have answered my own question!

The answer was a counter trigger. What this trigger does, is counts events. So, all I had to do was make sure two of the movers involved shared the same Event tag and the counter trigger, preformed beautifly. You can even tell the counter to announce messages, in case you had a lot of objectives. Now that I think about it, I think this is how chocolate factory's toilet obj is done. If this helps anyone else, GOOD!
Old 06-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #27
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Just trying to keep the "references" thread clean, so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanShield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblade
Wanna learn how to create VOLUMES that HEAL VEHICLES but NOT players?

Blitz is da man!
http://forums.unrealplayground.com/s...ad.php?t=27211
I was actually considering doing this in the last part of my map. Thanks for posting it. I don't want to bog down peoples preformance with fancy emiiters, so I need to think of a way to show people its there. Still gotta figure that part out, but I am sure I can come up with something.
Try this.... set up your "volume" where you need it to be, then... using 5 sheet brushes "wall out" the volume (ie: the 4 sides and the top) with [non-solid \ 2 sided] brushes. Now pick a transparent \ 2 sided texture for it (probably a shader would look best). See how that will work for you.
:supz:

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
Old 06-18-2006, 06:22 AM   #28
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

Is it possible to have a single objective with

1) Two Destroyable Meshes

2) A touch/activate Obj

Where the touch obj can complete the entire objective without having to destroy the meshes? For example, you would normally have to destroy the locks for a fortress gate, but if you somehow scaled the wall and simply unlocked it from inside, you wouldn't have to destroy the locks.

I haven't really tried yet, so I might as well ask before I do so I don't pull my hair out.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #29
HumanShield
Getting there...

Yeah, I know how you could work that.

What you do is you set up your destroyable objectives as normal. Give them a Defense Priority of lets say 5. Now set up you proximity objective for the gate lock, and also give it a priority of 5.

With this set up, you will probably get a DESTROY THE THING x3, which can be annoying. Especially when one is not a destroyable, so I would set the gate lock objective to Optional Objective - true, and give it n event of lets say "gatebypass".

Then set up a scripted trigger that has a WAITFOREVENT gatebypass, and set its other actions to DISABLE OBJECTIVE and set the tag to your destroyables.

I have not tested how the disable objective works on destroyables, but you could set it Complete instantly property or whatever to true, that way the object to destroy is killed immediatly.

With my experience of using disable objectives, All events that the objective would have triggered (its event line, and whatever movers you tell it to yell at and so on) will move just as if the obj had been completed, BUT it will not play sounds, or send broadcasts that the objective that you are disabling has been completed, nor will it give anyone points. Just something to be mindful of.

Let me know if this works for you.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:17 AM   #30
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

Yeah, I was already coming up with a plan involving triggers.. thanks man.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:22 PM   #31
BeBop
Insider

Problem, adjusting the size of the initial cut.

I want to make the area a bit bigger in my map. I tried just adjusting around and subtracting, but, that subtracts everything out of my map.

Other than adding another subtraction brush around my initial subtraction brush, is there a way to do this so that I do not have more than one brush?
Old 06-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #32
eth0
R.I.P. Tr1gg3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
Problem, adjusting the size of the initial cut.

I want to make the area a bit bigger in my map. I tried just adjusting around and subtracting, but, that subtracts everything out of my map.

Other than adding another subtraction brush around my initial subtraction brush, is there a way to do this so that I do not have more than one brush?
If i understand correctly you want to enlarge a curently subtracted area right?

You can do it by selecting it and using the 2nd button at the top... the block with the 2 lines... next to the camera icon... just drag it large.

Old 06-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #33
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Basically, to resize any BSP, simply slick on the "Actor Scale" tool, then in "top down" view, select a corner vertex on the "room" and stretch the BSP to increase its size. Changes won't update until you do a "rebuild geometry"

ie: This room is too small. We need to make it bigger....

Click the Actor Scale tool, (I like to sometimes use the "Show Large Vertices" as it makes it easier to see a particular vertex.) And now, simply stretch the room out.

Now do a Rebuild Geometry and your room is rescaled. You may have to realign some of the textures though.

Now, you can also do this to outdoor areas as well. Say you are building a terrain based map and find out the area is actually much smaller than you expected it to be... Simply do what I showed you (above) to the main subtracted cube. Do a Geo Rebuild. Now you can go into your TerrainInfo and scale it up to make the terrain reach the now larger subtracted cube.

My UT Maps
Old 06-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #34
BeBop
Insider

You guys are so damn helpful.

But, I have another one. Watched the tutorial again on terrain. They mention being able to lower the starting level of the terrain, but they do not discuss how low it will be for what numbers.

What I mean - after you set up your zone info, then go into terrain editing. You start your new terrain and the height is 32786. They said in the tutorial that number can be lowered.

I know this will be a pain in the ass, but does anyone have any conversion numbers? For example xunits drops the starting level by one character height. Or xunits equals the height of a character?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #35
Stormblade
HARBINGER

From what I remember (from about 4 years ago)... 16 units = roughly 1ft real life.

My UT Maps
Old 06-27-2006, 01:02 PM   #36
Tank
Just Registered

iv got a question was maya provided with unreal tournament ?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #37
DaDaWg
no u

If you got the special edition DVD, then yes. Note, you have to sign up first i think...
Old 06-27-2006, 01:55 PM   #38
Tank
Just Registered

ahh cool because i didn't have as i got ut2004 when it came out on 5 Cd's lol
Old 06-28-2006, 01:21 AM   #39
BeBop
Insider

About maya. Sad news. If you did not register it before, I think last winter you do not get to use it. I tried to install mine about a month ago and you have to register it. Then i got the post saying, sorry, but you are shit out of luck, or something to that effect.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #40
DaDaWg
no u

Perhapes UT2007 will have another version...

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner