Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 06-02-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Stormblade
HARBINGER

UT2k4 UEd Questions and Answers Thread

I'm starting this thread strictly for fast and reliable Q&A sessions. Whatever your question regarding something pertaining to working with the UEd (if you are stuck, get errors, can't figure something out, so forth) DON'T BE SHY TO ASK! We all started out by opening the UEd for the 1st time and thinking "Oh shit! WTF are all these buttons and pulldown menus for? God!!! This is going to take years to learn!!!"

When you go at it alone, it will take much longer to learn. When you have somewhere to get answers, you'll learn so much more, and that much more quickly. I'm living proof of that.... Storm = former member of UCMP.

So, who's got questions?

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
My UnWheel Maps, 6 within the BonusPack v1
Old 06-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #2
BeBop
Insider

Okay, gonna start you off with two if I may be so bold.

1. In my map I want to place a jump pad at the bottom that launches you up to the level above. I placed the pad fine, I even have the nav point apple in place fine. Switched views to see the connecting line, nice arc in it and everything. Tried to use it, and the pad does not launch anyway close to high enough for the jump. Is there a way to boost the power of the jump pad or are there just some distances that are out of reach? Yeah, it is a really high launch, and even tried to lessen the arc.

2. There are so many static meshes, so many folders to go through to find them, is there an easier way of looking at them? I want a way to have all the meshes in one area so I can just scroll through them... is this even possible to do or am I doomed to writing notes to myself that I like such and such in such and such folder?

Thank you for the time
k

Old 06-02-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Answer to #1 :

Every UTJumpPad has a numerical value which is set at "1.0". This is the amount of "boost" the JumpPad will deliver when a player or bot uses it.

Double click on a UTJumpPad to bring up it's properties. Now expand the "JumpPad" section. Note how the JumpZmodifier is set at 1.0? Change that value to something higher, like 1.3. Now rebuild your paths and then hit the little black joystick on the right side of the UEd interface to auto start UT2004 and you'll be able to test out your JumpPad. When you are done testing, exit UT and the UEd will be waiting for you to either make more changes or to save your map.

Also note that the JumpZModifier cannot be set beyond a certain value or it will simply boost you to it's max and that's that. In this case, you may have to add into that "jump" area a PhysicsVolume and set the PhysicsVolume's Z Gravity to a higher number (back towards "0", say like -450. Normal UT Gravity is -950). The other option (which I think is the best to use is) try to "link" UTJumpPads together, like I did in DM-Omnip)o(tentS-2006. Where from the lowest area, you boost up to a higher ledge and automatically land on a 2nd UTJumpPad and get boosted again even higher up.

1 last thing about UTJumpPads. Notice the field just above that JumpZModifer field? It says "JumpSound". Browse your Sound packages. Find something cool to use as the sound when UTJumpPad fires off. When you find a good sound, select the sound and go into the UTJumpPad Properties \ UTJumpPad \ JumpSound and hit the [USE] button.

*hint* you can select ALL of your UTJumpPads and apply the same sound to all of them in one shot!

Refer to the pic below for more help....

Answer to Question #2

No. Plain and simple. Keep a typed or written log of what's in which package and you'll have to refer to your notes when looking for something. Or, if you have patience, maybe about 3 years from now, you may remember a handful of meshes from here or there.... Do what I do, partially from notes, partially form memory, partially from loading a map which I remember I saw something which I want to use! Choice 3 = Now you'll also have that mesh loaded in the static mesh browser, load up your map! Or right click the mesh, edit\copy, load your map, right click\paste here.

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
Old 06-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Kirameki
Getting there...

Just an addendum to Question #2:
There's a nifty general list of what packages can be used for various items located at http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/St..._Package/Index . Hope that helps a bit!
3. Fire
Send a message via ICQ to Kirameki Send a message via AIM to Kirameki Send a message via MSN to Kirameki Send a message via Yahoo to Kirameki Kirameki is offline  
Old 06-02-2006, 11:51 PM   #5
BeBop
Insider

Thanks guys.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:53 PM   #6
juggalo_kyle
LoLTAM

Default Re: UEd Questions and Answers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblade
Storm = former member of UCMP.

As am I. I'll try to help out if possible aswell.

IGN - LoL-Ish
Old 06-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
BeBop
Insider

Yeah, another one from me.

I am starting a new map that takes place inside and outside. There will be some ground terrain that i want all around the complex - corridors that the ground comes nearly to the top of it and such. Do I build the structures first, and then the terrain around it, or the terrain first and cut the structure into it?

Also, do I have to establish my initial brush cut as terrain or can that wait? I just re-watched the terrain tuts and am more confused than before. They started building the terrain first, but I think it would be easier if the buildings where built first.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
Kirameki
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
Yeah, another one from me.

I am starting a new map that takes place inside and outside. There will be some ground terrain that i want all around the complex - corridors that the ground comes nearly to the top of it and such. Do I build the structures first, and then the terrain around it, or the terrain first and cut the structure into it?

Also, do I have to establish my initial brush cut as terrain or can that wait? I just re-watched the terrain tuts and am more confused than before. They started building the terrain first, but I think it would be easier if the buildings where built first.
You can really do it either way. I would say make the buildings first though.

Here's a simple run-down.
1. Make the inside area, and the exit to the outside area.
2. make a big 'ol empty room for the terrain that the exit will connect to or be inside. Add a zoneinfo and make sure you set it to recognize that zone as a terrain-containing zone. be sure to segregate the inside/outside with a zone boundary.
3. Add your terrain.
4. Mold it around the exit by opening a hole with the terrain tools, and manipulate it so the edges of the hole are hidden in the exit. Add/remove terrain panels as necessary so it looks nice. You may need to add some decorative SMs to make it look decent.

...and that's a very basic rundown. XD if you want a more detailed tutorial, I can crack open UED and write it down step-by-step.

Note: I initially did the terrain first on my map, it was a bit of a hassle realinging things but it is possible. I've learned buildings first is probably easier though. =P
3. Fire
Send a message via ICQ to Kirameki Send a message via AIM to Kirameki Send a message via MSN to Kirameki Send a message via Yahoo to Kirameki Kirameki is offline  
Old 06-04-2006, 07:05 AM   #9
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Yeah, follow Kira's advice, it sounds very (as Mr. Spock would say) "logical".

My UT Maps
Old 06-04-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
Schulzy
Getting there...

Well, I've always wanted to make a certain AS map...

I open UT editor. Where do I start? (Seriously)

The language you murdered left behind letters...letters that watch...with their I's.
Send a message via AIM to Schulzy Send a message via MSN to Schulzy Send a message via Yahoo to Schulzy Schulzy is offline  
Old 06-04-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
RicShaw
Overrated

http://www.angelmapper.com/tutorials.htm

I'd say start off with DM, it's easier to transition if you're iffy about computers in the first place (as you've mentioned over Vent before, no offense meant).
Old 06-04-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Yeah, start with DM, Schulzy. Get a feel for handling the BSP work, placing meshes, etc. AS is friggin complicated! Best piece of advice I have for you, is to open the Editor, load up a DM map of your choice, immediately save it under a new name ie: DM-SchulzysPlayground. Do this in case you make any changes and when you go to exit, you may accidently hit [save] when the message box pops up.

Anyway, once you have the "Schulzy copy" saved, poke around, see how things are put together, move meshes out of the way so you can see how they were fitted together. Get to know numerical values of the lighting, see how the pathing is layed out, etc. It's how I taught myself the UEd a few years ago. Each time I opened the Editor, it wasn't to map, it was to learn... After a few days of "poking around" I started modifying maps I had downloaded to see if I could make them better. After a few months, my edits WERE better than the original releases. After re-editing about 125 maps, I created my 1st original map from scratch DM-12_Perseverance. You can view most of my public releases here

All together, I have created, re-edited, overhauled and converted from 1 gametype to another about 180 maps for UT2003 and '04. And believe me, I still have a lot to learn!

But for you, for now, to begin messing around and learning how things work...... If you see a light actor somewhere, add one in somewhere next to it (but not too close). You can right click within the map (3d view) and from the popup menu choose "Add Light". Now double click your light and start comparing the properties between yours and the one in the map near it. Compare the numerical values. Change yours a bit (ie: hue) and see how it affects the surrounding area.

Messing around like that can teach you a lot. For loads of links to get you started, check this thread

My UT Maps
Old 06-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #13
Schulzy
Getting there...

Awesome, but one day I'm gonna make an assault map of the Star Wars trench run.

EDIT: I've always been intrigued by the concept of vertical combat as a theme for a map. One AS map I have in mind is about fighting down (Not up, down) a cliff to reach objectives after first reaching the top in a predator helicopter. Any Ideas on how I could make a DM map with the same general concept? I was thinking of a slanted map where bodies fall down ramps and tubes to always reach the same place, but that's not really vertical combat. Anyway, if I ever get the hand of the Unreal Editor, those are some of the things you can expect from me. (Big if though.)

The language you murdered left behind letters...letters that watch...with their I's.
Send a message via AIM to Schulzy Send a message via MSN to Schulzy Send a message via Yahoo to Schulzy Schulzy is offline  
Old 06-06-2006, 08:23 AM   #14
RicShaw
Overrated

Maybe something like DM-Seasons, but with a vertical orientation and teleporters to the top level, jump pads between the 3-4 levels. I don't know how that would be gameplay wise, but it probably would entail learning a lot about the systems and let you mess with UEd a bit.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

After you're done with DM and you want to progress, I'd go with maybe CTF or ONS. That would help you get your pathing down and get an eye for team-oriented play.

Assault maps are probably the hardest to make...
Old 06-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #16
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Yeah, you're right, Arsenic. Listed in order of difficulty to map for...
DM
CTF \ BR \ DOM
ONS \ VCTF
AS

My UT Maps
Old 06-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #17
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

ONS isn't that hard, its just that the pathing is a huge bitch and creativity is needed the most in this gametype next to AS.
Old 06-06-2006, 06:27 PM   #18
Stormblade
HARBINGER

If you need pathing help, we can do a quick hands on lesson at the LAN Party. :8):

My UT Maps
Old 06-11-2006, 01:57 AM   #19
BeBop
Insider

Questions about static meshes.

Can you add a texture to a mesh like you do brushes?
I am trying to use the same texture I found on one mesh (a crystal shard embedded in rock) on another mesh (a rock by itself) - I am trying to get the rock types to match.

Can you edit a mesh beyond it's size?
I want to use part of a mesh, by clipping it to make it fit. I am assuming if it is possible,then I will be left with a big hole where it was clipped. Is it possible to manipulate its angles, the same way you would manipulate vertices's?

What program do I need to make my own static meshes?

Thanks peeps.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #20
DaDaWg
no u

Well you can apply new textures to static meshes using Skins get to the static mesh's properties, and under display there should be an option called Skins click add skin and select use, to use the curret selected texture.

(note some static meshes have two parts to them with different skins. EG. the crystal meshes have a rock base and a crystal top. If you only want to change the rock texture, you may need to select add twice, to specify which part of the mesh you want to edit)

Second question, the answer is no. In the Ued you cant edit static meshs vertices. You can however use the scale feture to only make it bigger in X, Y, or Z angles.

In order to edit a static meshes's vertices, you would need to export them into Maya. If you have the special edition DVD of UT2004, there should be a learners version of Maya, which you can use to make your own, or edit unreal's static meshes. (3D studio max is another good program for making static meshes)
Hope this helps...

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner