Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-08-2017, 02:30 PM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Default Is it illegal for me to do this?

Beginning of match, grab a flyer and go straight to enemy primary and kill them on foot before they can touch/build their primary? This is to slow them down and give us a headstart on the race to building nodes. Very useful on Minus for getting 8/9 before they do.

I've done this a few times with some saying i'm "spawnkilling". My rationale is that as long as they haven't built the node yet they don't own it? If it builds (and locks) I'll leave it alone.

If it's illegal I'll stop but to me it seems like a good alternative strategy in the right setting... sort of like a lateral pass or a bunt.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #2
analog
Community Veteran

So in other words, illegal, not so much (it isn't a locked node) but is probably douchebaggery
Old 02-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
$m39m4
Just Registered

Don't listen to them. It's a common strategy in the past for clans in tournaments. e.g. Torlan flyer to enemy choke node instead of the deemer.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #4
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
So in other words, illegal, not so much (it isn't a locked node) but is probably douchebaggery
It is douchey. Though, I do think the node is locked. In Minus it is locked 1 to 2 nodes deep really.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
Turbo K
Community Veteran

There are a couple of times where it is a good strategy, like when you can kill or steal a key vehicle. Doing it every map will certainly make you look like a douche.

For example:

On Miami-Biatch, you can run ahead and kill everyone building the enemy primary, which allows your team to get the Link Badger first, giving your team a huge advantage.
On D-Junk, it is encouraged to go the enemy primary and destroy the node builders and 'deemer tank.
This might be borderline D-bag behavior, but on Omaha Beach you can take the Raptor to the other side of the map and steal the Falcon while his pilot is linking a node. If you can keep it alive, this pretty much guarantees your team a victory.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
hardspike
Server Admin

There are lots of examples of this:

Tyrant:
- Termy always goes to the enemy's tank node 10/11 at the start of the round and kills the enemy before they can start the node.
- Blackwood (or someone, maybe not him) will go to your corner node (5) and prevent you from starting it.

Tanks-a-Lot
- suppress the ion node before it can get built and / or kill the ion before it gets a chance to dominate
- suppress the upstairs primary (node 4 I think) with an Aegis and try to hold while your teammates get 5 up

Minus
- the enemy's distant primary 1/2 is a common target. That's the side you want to own to get core hits.

There are other examples I was thinking of earlier but can't think of them right now. I think it's a legit tactic. As long as you're not doing it to just grief the other team with no apparent strategic objective you're fine. Don't be too worried about what everyone else says.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:46 AM   #7
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
This is for assholes that need easy points and to grief people to compensate for some sadness in their lives.
Today I learned I'm an asshole who needs easy points and has to compensate for the sadness in my life through ut2004
Old 02-09-2017, 01:49 AM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Yeah sometimes if I happen to spawn on the roof I'll hop in the hammerhead and run to their primary. It only seems to be beneficial though if you start on the roof right next to the hammerhead otherwise it's not worth the time to run to find a flyer.

I'll plug a guy or two before they start to build and then go do something else. Often they've hopped out of the dragon and there I'll steal it. That's the real benefit I think.

I don't usually run to the ion node in Tanks a lot but I've been ambushed plenty of times by other players while building and it certainly works.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:51 AM   #9
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
It is douchey. Though, I do think the node is locked. In Minus it is locked 1 to 2 nodes deep really.

Certainly, not saying it's not douchey. It's totally douchey. But if you hustle you can get to 1/2 before they even touch it.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
I'll plug a guy or two before they start to build and then go do something else. Often they've hopped out of the dragon and there I'll steal it. That's the real benefit I think.
A team that brings the dragon to the primary is likely to lose...
Old 02-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #11
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

That's a famous Pam maneuver. Douchey but effective. And yes, it always pisses me off when I fall victim to it. But u gotta learn to keep your eyes pealed looking upwards for the attack.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #12
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

When in doubt, listen to Binger.

#facts #truthbomb #propertwitteretiquetteistonotspellsentencesorusem orthanonehashtag

Last edited by Colbye; 02-09-2017 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Fucking typo.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:15 PM   #13
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
That's a famous Pam maneuver. Douchey but effective. And yes, it always pisses me off when I fall victim to it. But u gotta learn to keep your eyes pealed looking upwards for the attack.
Yeah on Minus when building a node you definitely have to be linking the top of the node so you can see a flyer coming. Also be ready to get your shock rifle out and throw off their approach.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
duh
www.gotse.cx

I fall victim to this maneuver all the time and curse the people that do it, but it's a perfectly valid way to slow down the other team's node building. That's kinda the point of the whole game.

Core campers can frickin' die, though...
Old 02-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #15
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Beginning of match, grab a flyer and go straight to enemy primary and kill them on foot before they can touch/build their primary? This is to slow them down and give us a headstart on the race to building nodes. Very useful on Minus for getting 8/9 before they do.

I've done this a few times with some saying i'm "spawnkilling". My rationale is that as long as they haven't built the node yet they don't own it? If it builds (and locks) I'll leave it alone.

If it's illegal I'll stop but to me it seems like a good alternative strategy in the right setting... sort of like a lateral pass or a bunt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
I fall victim to this maneuver all the time and curse the people that do it, but it's a perfectly valid way to slow down the other team's node building. That's kinda the point of the whole game.

Core campers can frickin' die, though...

Yep. Perfectly valid tactic.

Doesn't even matter if they have touched the node, if they are trying to link it you do whatever you can to slow it down from
coming up. And if it comes up when you're there, wreaking mayhem and havoc until you die is acceptable as well.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:35 PM   #16
Binger

Quote:
Today I learned I'm an asshole who needs easy points and has to compensate for the sadness in my life through ut2004
I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #17
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Binger you are a true gentleman! You always say and do the right thing. You are a great example to the rest of us douche bags. I'm so glad you are on the server to bring some balance and good karma here. Thank you Binger
Old 02-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #18
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
It's all good. I know you're cool
Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #19
Enyo
Getting there...

Although a "legal" tactic, "legit" is debatable. I think it's a very weak tactic, and I have to agree with Binger on this... you would prob be much more useful going to your own team's nodes and building them. OR use the hammerhead to track down the mino and take it out or at least distract it/slow it down, because you know the mino is most likely heading straight for your team's 8/9 node (unless dognuts is in it - we all know where he'll be).

I personally think if you're going to take guys out at a node they haven't fully built yet, you're better off slowing them down at 8/9 while your team gets its side up. Then you're already there and ready to take out the node when yours comes up instead of on the other side of the map wasting a key vehicle.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #20
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
... you would prob be much more useful going to your own team's nodes and building them. .
If only there was more of this kind of sensible strategy and less "showmanship" play the overall game would be such a blast. You would think that after 10+ years of this game being played and the same maps over and over there would be a semblance of strategy and intelligence. It's so rare...instead everyone grabs OPV's and runs to corners leaving primaries untouched for critical minutes. Goofy players jump in Mino's and run to see how many points they can rack up only to sacrifice one of the most important assets the team has. Others run to spawn kill unoccupied vehicles and locked nodes.
Jeeze guys, listen to the pro's like Enyo. Learn how to hop-scotch some nodes for a change, please!

P.S. Little known secret here...you get a bunch of points for building and taking down nodes!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught