Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #21
McGimpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
So in terms of performance, its close to twice as fast.

Awesome! I never had the disconnect issued, but seem to be getting a better ping off of the new one.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #22
hardspike
Server Admin

Thanks!

Can't wait to try it out!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #23
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Can the tickrate be raised now that the server can sustain it?
Old 01-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #24
analog
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Can the tickrate be raised now that the server can sustain it?
Yes, I'm sure we will need to tweak now that its new hardware.

We can start with tickrate an go from there, NetServerMaxTickRate is now 27 (was 20).

All you regulars need to let us know if you see any difference.

TIA!
Old 01-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #25
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

I believe 27 is too miniscule to make a noticeable difference.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:37 PM   #26
analog
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
I believe 27 is too miniscule to make a noticeable difference.
30 would be a 50% jump, which is significant but wth - its 30 now - lets see if it makes any difference.
Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #27
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
30 would be a 50% jump, which is significant but wth - its 30 now - lets see if it makes any difference.
I Played this afternoon like I do everyday and the server was smooth as silk! I have been playing for over a week on the new server, I am not sure what all the tick rate covers and controls but she was smoooootthhhh not one glitch or stutter that I usually got from changing seats or any flight choppy feel from the cicada is all gone. We will have to see how the server runs under full load of 32 players but as far as I can tell Awesome Improvement!!

Thx for all the work Admins on the server and Wormbo for the new EvenMatchV2a9

PS Wormbo will you be posting any information on the new EvenMatchV2a9 and it's metrics under a new thread or the Matches Made Even Thread??
Old 01-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #28
-Goose-
Getting there...

Yeah, higher tick rate has its pros and cons. With a full server, the quality of the experience will depend greatly on the "density" of the map (amount of players in one space). You will almost certainly get some data drops (mostly invisible projectiles), but people may find this an acceptable trade off in return for fewer unregs and an otherwise more accurate serverside/clientside relationship.

IOW, a low tickrate will raise the floor but lower the ceiling of player experience, while higher tickrate lowers the floor but also raises the ceiling. It is definitely worth tinkering with to see where the best compromise point is.

I don't know how full the server stays these days, but if it is generally less than max capacity a higher tick rate would make alot of sense.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:21 PM   #29
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
I don't know how full the server stays these days, but if it is generally less than max capacity a higher tick rate would make alot of sense.
Can the tick rate dynamically change during runtime based on head count or does it require a reboot? The server goes from mostly empty to max/nearly full in the evenings.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:18 PM   #30
-Goose-
Getting there...

Not really, sometimes if the CPU can not keep up, the server will lower the tick to compensate but that is not really the problem with the high player counts (especially with the CPU they now have). The problem is the (engine) bandwidth allotment per user, which just is not enough to keep up with all the projectile, vehicle and player data on maps with high player density.

*this is why spider mines should never be on maps.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:48 PM   #31
$m39m4
Just Registered

Demorec fps is tied to the serverside tickrate. It was 40-45 up until 2012.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #32
JohnSmallBerries
Fancy Man

I had a weird thing happen yesterday on the new server... I tried to jump into a tank (the alligator on nevermore), and as soon as I hit the button to get into the tank i just started drifting slowly and I was not able to move or shoot or anything... i drifted slowly, and went under the map... finally i typed "suicide" and I respawned and everything was fine.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:58 PM   #33
Binger

So far I haven't seen any disconnects.

Last night on Nevermore, I think at the same time as what happened to Berries, I was getting some weird lag but just for a few seconds. The audio from incoming fire seemed stuck in a loop and then I jumped in the Cicada and starting climbing and suddenly jumped up to about twice the height I was at. Also a little before that I was shooting the lasers in the Hurricane and they were way off to the left. I switched back to driver then back to lasers and they were still off to the left. Not diagnosable, I know but mentioning it anyway.

On TAL tonight there was another player who's character jumped around a little in a lag type way.

Other than that I would say that things don't run quite as smoothly for me as they did but I rarely had any issues before so that could just be the added little extra ping.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #34
Turbo K
Community Veteran

There have been no disconnects, but the lag feels slightly different. It will just take some time to adjust.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:42 AM   #35
Enyo
Getting there...

I've also noticed a couple of weird lag issues here and there, but nothing major that doesn't clear up after a couple seconds. Main thing I've seen is lasers from the hurricane and centaur sometimes go invisible for me, but know I'm still hitting a flyer because I see it bouncing around from the hits. Probably from just a lot going on at once with a full server, but haven't really paid attention to the player count when it happens.

One big improvement I've noticed is hitting vehicles with direct mino shots seems to inflict proper damage virtually every time, whereas on the old server a lot of mino shots would do nothing, sometimes two shots in a row.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:47 AM   #36
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I've also noticed a couple of weird lag issues here and there, but nothing major that doesn't clear up after a couple seconds. Main thing I've seen is lasers from the hurricane and centaur sometimes go invisible for me, but know I'm still hitting a flyer because I see it bouncing around from the hits. Probably from just a lot going on at once with a full server, but haven't really paid attention to the player count when it happens
Is it packet loss? Can you check in f6/stat net? I have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
One big improvement I've noticed is hitting vehicles with direct mino shots seems to inflict proper damage virtually every time, whereas on the old server a lot of mino shots would do nothing, sometimes two shots in a row.
That must be the tick rate increase.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:49 AM   #37
analog
Community Veteran

Have you guys noticed anything different in the past couple of nights? I'd like to keep tweaking to see if we can find a better experience but I don't have any of the lag or timeouts so I'd need to rely on your guys for when its better or when it's worse.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:58 AM   #38
-Goose-
Getting there...

Quote:
Is it packet loss? Can you check in f6/stat net? I have this issue.
The symptoms described can be caused by packet loss, however it is more likely what I described earlier. Even at 20 tick, the incoming data allotment regularly gets maxxed. And the data requirements more or less scale linearly with tick. So you are more often going to have a situation where the server wants to send you say 20,000 bytes/second, but you can only receive 10,000 bytes/second. When that happens the data you get is determined by "priority". Player location, vehicles, and spider mines are typically the highest priority actors meaning stuff like projectiles get dropped causing them to be invisible (if you never got the data).

That is the basic tradeoff with tick - better hit registration but potentially incomplete visuals.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #39
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
The symptoms described can be caused by packet loss, however it is more likely what I described earlier. Even at 20 tick, the incoming data allotment regularly gets maxxed. And the data requirements more or less scale linearly with tick. So you are more often going to have a situation where the server wants to send you say 20,000 bytes/second, but you can only receive 10,000 bytes/second. When that happens the data you get is determined by "priority". Player location, vehicles, and spider mines are typically the highest priority actors meaning stuff like projectiles gets dropped causing them to be invisible (if you never got the data).
Even if I have higher netspeed? I intermittently get dropped packets from the server.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:10 PM   #40
-Goose-
Getting there...

Setting your clientside netspeed will not actually cause the server to send you more data (you can easily see you will not exceed the 10,000 b/s rate even if you set it to 15 or 20k). It only uncaps your framerate and will allow you to send more data to the server.

The only way I have ever been able to get UT to actually send more data involved issuing a series of commands with admin rights to the server after a map has started. Unfortunately, this has to be reapplied each and every map, so it is a no go unless someone makes it a server actor or mutator. Even then, raising the number to say 20,000 does double the bandwidth requirement of the server from ~2.7 to 5.4 Mbps Up rate.

Quote:
I intermittently get dropped packets from the server.
If you are consistently getting dropped packets, that could either be your ISP or a bad hop somewhere on the path to the server. This has happened to me on a Freon server I used to like to play at. I kept thinking surely someone would notice a problem with the hardware, but it has been over a year and to my knowledge the issue remains. The internet in general seems to be experiencing more issues lately though. I play mostly LoL now, and I (and many other players) have been regularly getting some nasty 300+ ping spikes for over a month now.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught