Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 12-16-2016, 02:39 PM   #21
Enyo
Getting there...

I'm with Termi on this, the manta only works as a transporter if the guy driving waits (which rarely happens) for people to get on, or more often what I experience is I get in and wait for people to get on and nobody does. I'd rather have something like the node exploder (or the second short circuit back) to go take out some nodes.
Old 12-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #22
Mailbox
Just Registered

I feel that the new badgers are unnecessarily worse than the original ones. Now without a gunner, they don't stand a chance against any vehicle due to the greatly reduced DPS of the machine gun. Even Badger v. Badger fights seem very drawn out. With a gunner, the badger isn't mobile or dangerous enough to warrant using. The fast tracking Goliath II's make easy work of them.

I'd much prefer having the old ones back, or at least re-implementing the increased vehicle damage bug.

Also, any particular reason that the Ballista was removed? I think it was fine on the map.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #23
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
I feel that the new badgers are unnecessarily worse than the original ones. Now without a gunner, they don't stand a chance against any vehicle due to the greatly reduced DPS of the machine gun. Even Badger v. Badger fights seem very drawn out. With a gunner, the badger isn't mobile or dangerous enough to warrant using. The fast tracking Goliath II's make easy work of them.

I'd much prefer having the old ones back, or at least re-implementing the increased vehicle damage bug.

Also, any particular reason that the Ballista was removed? I think it was fine on the map.
On my next edit I'll increase the Badger damage output so it matches that of the original Badgers. The Ballista was removed because there were too many vehicles that just sat back and defended locked nodes. The Goliath Mk. II can at least be an offensive vehicle and requires skill to instagib everything 300HP and under, while the Ballista doesn't.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 AM   #24
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
On my next edit I'll increase the Badger damage output so it matches that of the original Badgers...
How can you do that without editing the class files?
Old 12-28-2016, 03:16 PM   #25
Yamashita
mostly harmless

Quote:

Please weigh this in accordance to how much work I actually put in on maps & vehicles (aka none).

Badgers are one of my favorite vehicles - they are the great uncelebrated workhorses of many a map. Made my bones driving those suckers because my bro Rommel wouldn't let me drive anything else until I had graduated from noob level.

Fixing the exiting under the map issue and avril damage is awesome, as vehicle vs vehicle vs footsoldier balance is key to a fun map. But if the lack of pitch control (reduced maneuverability) and reduced damage from primary fire could be corrected back to the way they were, that would be even better, because Badgers would be effective against the flyers again.

Also, a plasma tank at nodes 4/5, like in Desert, all the way!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #26
Binger

Some thoughts on this after playing for a while. Most of this is going to be my idea of what would be good changes. It's just my opinion of what best suits my taste. This doesn't include the Badgers or the broken SPMA camera. I think everyone agrees those need to change.

-Remove the Tiamat. In the hands of someone like Dimshade it's very difficult to advance against. Because the main playing area of this map is mostly on one level and nearly flat there are very long lines of sight. This is great for TMU maps but makes it difficult to get near the Tiamat, especially since its range seems to be beyond the fog. It can be set up, on at least one side, to hit both primaries (splash damage) from the base area. I strongly disagree with that capability. The other day Dimshade was near his team's primary (the one straight in front of the base) and he was able to hit our Ion tank node. Those of us at that node were around a bend and a long ways from being able to hit him. That's a serious breach of the line-of-sight guideline that's at the heart of this game and just really sucks to be the victim of. No skill involved in that kill. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Dimshade finding the best way to use the vehicle. That's part of the game.

-The towers are not lined up the same. I know I value symmetry more than most but they are pretty far off. You can hit that node from places on one side that you can't on the other. Not even close. I realize this is a bit of a carry over from D-Junk but it would be nice to see that be more balanced.

-Remove the BioTank from the base and replace the BioBadger with it. It doesn't get used as much as it could because of the long travel time in a slow vehicle. If it was at the left primary it would help with comebacks on that side. I think it would be more effective at that than the BioBadger. I would then use the Ulitmate factory to only spawn the BioTank for the home team. Enemy team would get a Goliath or something if they took that node.

-The damn NoSkillz crap. That stuff belongs where it came from, on a server where all weapons are the extreme type and are therefore more balanced with each other. Why suddenly allow someone to kill a vehicle on foot much faster than they could in the past? What's the motivation there? Tired of getting killed by tanks? Go play Masterbath or something. You used to have to have some skill to kill a vehicle on foot, now it's just grab the gun and that big tank doesn't stand a chance against your little handgun. Sigh. Griefer's delight.

One thing I really like about A-Junk is that it's usually much less of a beat-down than D-Junk. It will often look like it's turning into a typical D-Junk pounding then suddenly there will be a cut-off or something and everything turns around. So it's great in that respect but with a few changes I think that map can be even better.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #27
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Some thoughts on this after playing for a while. Most of this is going to be my idea of what would be good changes. It's just my opinion of what best suits my taste. This doesn't include the Badgers or the broken SPMA camera. I think everyone agrees those need to change.

-Remove the Tiamat. In the hands of someone like Dimshade it's very difficult to advance against. Because the main playing area of this map is mostly on one level and nearly flat there are very long lines of sight. This is great for TMU maps but makes it difficult to get near the Tiamat, especially since its range seems to be beyond the fog. It can be set up, on at least one side, to hit both primaries (splash damage) from the base area. I strongly disagree with that capability. The other day Dimshade was near his team's primary (the one straight in front of the base) and he was able to hit our Ion tank node. Those of us at that node were around a bend and a long ways from being able to hit him. That's a serious breach of the line-of-sight guideline that's at the heart of this game and just really sucks to be the victim of. No skill involved in that kill. Now, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Dimshade finding the best way to use the vehicle. That's part of the game.

-The towers are not lined up the same. I know I value symmetry more than most but they are pretty far off. You can hit that node from places on one side that you can't on the other. Not even close. I realize this is a bit of a carry over from D-Junk but it would be nice to see that be more balanced.

-Remove the BioTank from the base and replace the BioBadger with it. It doesn't get used as much as it could because of the long travel time in a slow vehicle. If it was at the left primary it would help with comebacks on that side. I think it would be more effective at that than the BioBadger. I would then use the Ulitmate factory to only spawn the BioTank for the home team. Enemy team would get a Goliath or something if they took that node.

-The damn NoSkillz crap. That stuff belongs where it came from, on a server where all weapons are the extreme type and are therefore more balanced with each other. Why suddenly allow someone to kill a vehicle on foot much faster than they could in the past? What's the motivation there? Tired of getting killed by tanks? Go play Masterbath or something. You used to have to have some skill to kill a vehicle on foot, now it's just grab the gun and that big tank doesn't stand a chance against your little handgun. Sigh. Griefer's delight.

One thing I really like about A-Junk is that it's usually much less of a beat-down than D-Junk. It will often look like it's turning into a typical D-Junk pounding then suddenly there will be a cut-off or something and everything turns around. So it's great in that respect but with a few changes I think that map can be even better.
Those are good suggestions. I'll get around to working on this after Dria. And there is no Biobadger on the map, but moving the BioTank to one of the primaries makes sense.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 PM   #28
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
This is a huge one. I can't remember which side, but from one of them the ion shot is impossible.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:21 PM   #29
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
This is a huge one. I can't remember which side, but from one of them the ion shot is impossible.
The idea was to make the Ion shot impossible from both sides.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:51 PM   #30
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
For some reason i'm remembering as only working on side. I'm probably mixing it up with desert then
Old 03-22-2017, 11:54 PM   #31
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I like the flat spot on the secondary to the right of the core. It is only on one side, but it helps suppress vehicles entering from the front and can be used to attack the fliers as they come in over the hill. I would not mind seeing it on both sides of the map.

A
Old 03-23-2017, 12:30 AM   #32
Binger

Quote:
Those are good suggestions. I'll get around to working on this after Dria. And there is no Biobadger on the map, but moving the BioTank to one of the primaries makes sense.
I get them mixed up.

Are you working on the version of Dria that I sent you?

Quote:
At 10 you can hit it from where the Ion tank spawns. It takes me two shots to take it down. At 7 you just need to move up a couple of tank lengths and then you can take it down in two shots. It's really more being able to hit them from 6 and 8 that is way off balance. Also from the area between the front primaries and 6/8. 3 is wide open to that but 9 requires splash damage and is further away. I know this is how it is in D-Junk also and there is no way to completely eliminate that but it seems worse somehow in Arctic.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:58 PM   #33
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I get them mixed up.

Are you working on the version of Dria that I sent you?

At 10 you can hit it from where the Ion tank spawns. It takes me two shots to take it down. At 7 you just need to move up a couple of tank lengths and then you can take it down in two shots. It's really more being able to hit them from 6 and 8 that is way off balance. Also from the area between the front primaries and 6/8. 3 is wide open to that but 9 requires splash damage and is further away. I know this is how it is in D-Junk also and there is no way to completely eliminate that but it seems worse somehow in Arctic.
I'll be working on maps this weekend. For Arctic, it seems that the imbalance is when shooting at the center nodes between the pillars. I put the pillars there to prevent the Ion from hitting the Railtank nodes, but seemed to have opened up a new set of imbalances. My goal was to force a player to have to drive inside the node area in order to attack any of the four key side-nodes, which means that the Tiamat should probably go as well. If the Tiamat is gone, then the Waveflack can be removed as well.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #34
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
I'll be working on maps this weekend. For Arctic, it seems that the imbalance is when shooting at the center nodes between the pillars. I put the pillars there to prevent the Ion from hitting the Railtank nodes, but seemed to have opened up a new set of imbalances. My goal was to force a player to have to drive inside the node area in order to attack any of the four key side-nodes, which means that the Tiamat should probably go as well. If the Tiamat is gone, then the Waveflack can be removed as well.
Also, the ion can still hit the railtank nodes. The side with the gradual hill is easier.

A
Old 06-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #35
Mailbox
Just Registered

Heya.

It's been about 7 months since AJY v3 was released. From my experience, the Badger MkII's remain at the bottom of the vehicle pecking order, due to being outclassed my most other vehicles in solo play. Would it be possible to put out a minor revision to un-nerf the Badger in some respects that Yamashita suggested?
Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 PM   #36
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Heya.

It's been about 7 months since AJY v3 was released. From my experience, the Badger MkII's remain at the bottom of the vehicle pecking order, due to being outclassed my most other vehicles in solo play. Would it be possible to put out a minor revision to un-nerf the Badger in some respects that Yamashita suggested?
Yes, this map is next on my list as soon as the new Dria is on the server. The badgers, Tiamat, and map symmetry will be updated.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:03 PM   #37
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
The badgers, Tiamat, and map symmetry will be updated.
Please go in more detail here? Updating as in adding the reverse badger (which I'm for) or removing the weaker badgers? What about this version of the Tiamat that needs changing? (I strongly oppose removing it but if that is what everybody wants then no problem) Which part of the map needs to be symmetrical? I recall a previous proposed layout where there are two alley ways or tunnels on the far side of each map that connect the Ion tank node to the rail tank node ( i suck with node numbers).
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM   #38
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Reading the Dria-Symmetric comments, perhaps instead of the Tiamat and too keep Termy reasonably happy, how about replacing the Tiamat with a Shocker? Its less powerful but still could be used in similar fashion.

I do agree with removing the Flak Wave (which for some reason never worked for me)...as its OP for the map. Too easy to wasp, grab it, and smash a node down in less than 2 seconds. At least with the Tiamat and takes you're stationary/slow moving and a big target
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM   #39
JohnSmallBerries
Fancy Man

I agree with removing the noskillz flak. I use it constantly on this map because it is so much more effective than anything else, but I think it takes away from the fun of the map.
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #40
Turbo K
Community Veteran

The Wave Flack can go. I'm taking the Tiamat out since all it does is spam into the fog. I just hope people will still attack nodes without the Wave Flack, since it was very useful at breaking stalemates.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught