Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 10-15-2016, 03:00 AM   #1
Enyo
Getting there...

Default Feeling Sad

Just venting here, say what you will in response, this is just an emotional rant, not asking for anything to happen or any particular response...

I feel very sad for this game. It's one of the best FPS games ever created and IMO that's the reason it's still around after 12 years. Obviously Epic is struggling to reproduce the phenomenon with its latest releases of UT. Unfortunately, the few populated servers left like OMNI are being ruined by cries of unfairness, imbalance and hax. If you've been playing this game for more than a couple years and you still don't do the most basic shit like dodge jump, you have NO argument for game balance and no basis for accusing others of cheating. You suck, you're dumb, and likely too dumb to know you're stupid (see the Dunning-Kruger effect). Or, you just don't care, in which case you're also ruining the game for the rest of us that play as a team and actually try to win.

I'm just venting here, I know, I know, Enyo's just a whiny bitch.... BUT everyone just seems to complain about the game, the server, the maps, the weapons and the vehicles so much these days, the enjoyment for the game is waning for many of us. I love this server and the maps and the fact that there are still people like TurboK still around willing to make new maps or modified maps and vehicles to keep things fresh. Seriously... THANK YOU!!! And thank you to all the guys willing to take on the thankless task of being an admin. Obviously, I don't have the proper demeanor to be one. Can you imagine myself, GTKU and Techstyle as admins???

People bitch about "over-powered vehicles" and the new maps incessantly (i.e Blackwood, or as I prefer to call him, Blackcock)... usually because they just can't keep up with the rest of us. Quit crying about OPV, we all have access to minos, falcons, wasps and short circuits. Learn how to use them or just STFU! Or, we can all go back to stock vehicles and weapons and us good players can continue to dominate you "shitstains" with goliaths and raptors. You can call me, GTKU, Techstyle, Xexx, Anonymous and various others dickheads all you want, but I just can't fathom how people play for so long and still suck so bad.

Anywho... I think I just have an addiction problem with this game, probably way worse things to be addicted to. But some of you are fucking up my high. So knock it off, OK? Get better or quit bitching. Yes, I get my kicks (adrenaline/endorphin rush) out of dominating some of you fools, but I much more enjoy some intense matches between fellow experienced players. Forget the idea of fairness and balanced matches (i.e. a broken and ineffective auto-balancer) and just learn to play a little better. You and everyone else will enjoy the game much more for the last few months or years we may still have it around.

Enyo out.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #2
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Well said. I don't feel sad. Sometimes there are players that seem to be really, really good and sometimes really, really fast.

I suspect its a combination of great connection and good skills.

I heard some of the bitching yesterday, and I was was a bit of it, mostly wondering how some move so darn fast compared to other players.

I will share a story from way back.

I had a buddy who we were playing half-life with and several of us swore he was hacking/cheating...this was on local lan, so we were all there face to face. He simply said if you think I am, here use my rig, I'll use yours. Well he then proceeded to mop the floor with us with my setup. To me that was some proof that some players just have better skill and in some cases it shows dramatically...even to the extent that if feels like "hax"

One of the nice things about ONS is its isn't pure DM skills that count...so those of us that are average (or worse) DM can actually contribute.

And even if you still believe there's some unfairness, as Enyo said, (in many words) get over it and play. Besides it makes wins much more statisfying that way...you know the fun of "I just killed Terminator/Dimshade in the Levi" kind of fun. (Hope you two don't mind me picking on your for good levi/kraken skills).
Old 10-15-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Just venting here, say what you will in response, this is just an emotional rant, not asking for anything to happen or any particular response...

I feel very sad for this game. It's one of the best FPS games ever created and IMO that's the reason it's still around after 12 years. Obviously Epic is struggling to reproduce the phenomenon with its latest releases of UT. Unfortunately, the few populated servers left like OMNI are being ruined by cries of unfairness, imbalance and hax. If you've been playing this game for more than a couple years and you still don't do the most basic shit like dodge jump, you have NO argument for game balance and no basis for accusing others of cheating. You suck, you're dumb, and likely too dumb to know you're stupid (see the Dunning-Kruger effect). Or, you just don't care, in which case you're also ruining the game for the rest of us that play as a team and actually try to win.

I'm just venting here, I know, I know, Enyo's just a whiny bitch.... BUT everyone just seems to complain about the game, the server, the maps, the weapons and the vehicles so much these days, the enjoyment for the game is waning for many of us. I love this server and the maps and the fact that there are still people like TurboK still around willing to make new maps or modified maps and vehicles to keep things fresh. Seriously... THANK YOU!!! And thank you to all the guys willing to take on the thankless task of being an admin. Obviously, I don't have the proper demeanor to be one. Can you imagine myself, GTKU and Techstyle as admins???

People bitch about "over-powered vehicles" and the new maps incessantly (i.e Blackwood, or as I prefer to call him, Blackcock)... usually because they just can't keep up with the rest of us. Quit crying about OPV, we all have access to minos, falcons, wasps and short circuits. Learn how to use them or just STFU! Or, we can all go back to stock vehicles and weapons and us good players can continue to dominate you "shitstains" with goliaths and raptors. You can call me, GTKU, Techstyle, Xexx, Anonymous and various others dickheads all you want, but I just can't fathom how people play for so long and still suck so bad.

Anywho... I think I just have an addiction problem with this game, probably way worse things to be addicted to. But some of you are fucking up my high. So knock it off, OK? Get better or quit bitching. Yes, I get my kicks (adrenaline/endorphin rush) out of dominating some of you fools, but I much more enjoy some intense matches between fellow experienced players. Forget the idea of fairness and balanced matches (i.e. a broken and ineffective auto-balancer) and just learn to play a little better. You and everyone else will enjoy the game much more for the last few months or years we may still have it around.

Enyo out.
I Love my rush against you, and Thanks for being you. I look forward to every moment I can be online with you guys, and I second that motion TurboK, Seriously Thanks!
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 10-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #4
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Yeah, I still have just as much fun now as I did many years ago. I wish the disconnect issues would go away so that I could play a whole evening.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Nice post Enyo.

While I don't feed my addiction on ONS anymore, I feel the same way about Freon now.

I probably will hang up my PC gaming spurs when (if ?) UT2K4 ever dies completely, but I don't
see that happening for a 1/2 decade or more. Too many of us addicts still around...

peace

Old 10-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
the few populated servers left like OMNI are being ruined by cries of unfairness, imbalance and hax.
Lulz.

Quote:
People bitch about "over-powered vehicles" and the new maps incessantly (i.e Blackwood, or as I prefer to call him, Blackcock)... usually because they just can't keep up with the rest of us. Quit crying about OPV, we all have access to minos, falcons, wasps and short circuits. Learn how to use them or just STFU! Or, we can all go back to stock vehicles and weapons and us good players can continue to dominate you "shitstains" with goliaths and raptors.
Which has as much to do with the person editing the map as it does that the OPV exists in the first place. If they are placed in a map poorly bad shit happens. Guilty myself. Magic Isle needs Wyvern's removed, it broke the map (far more than the translocator does.)

Quote:
But some of you are fucking up my high. So knock it off, OK? Get better or quit bitching. Yes, I get my kicks (adrenaline/endorphin rush) out of dominating some of you fools, but I much more enjoy some intense matches between fellow experienced players. Forget the idea of fairness and balanced matches (i.e. a broken and ineffective auto-balancer) and just learn to play a little better.
Yup, I agree. Play better is the answer, except for the fact that we all have skill caps, different rigs, different ping all weighing into how well we can play. Let alone agenda players screwing up the mix.

Since your dream world of play better can't be achieved, why not try to take what you have and balance it out? I suspect I know why, something along the lines of "I am an awesome player and you should all figure out how to bow down to my greatness and learn to play better so I am not so bored."

Quote:
Can you imagine myself, GTKU and Techstyle as admins???
I suspect you and GTKU would be reasonable admins, actually, though the constant yammering and negativity would make it unworkable. Techstyles behavior generally warrants admin action, not admin promotion. A reasonable player that chooses to be a douche bag is just that.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Nice post Enyo.
Really? He calls 98% of the people here shit players, tells them to play better, offers no meaningful help on how people can improve and you think thats nice?

Sorry Carpe, that brings you down a notch in my book. I know I am rando internet dude and that means very little, if nothing at all, so be it.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:20 PM   #8
TERMINAT0R
Just Registered

Do what I do and just don't visit the message board so frequently. When I'm playing in the game I don't see any complaining other than the usual 'angry-because-my-team-sucks-and-I'm-losing' rants. 99% of the time those complaints are minor, then the map changes, and people keep playing. If people rage quit, oh well, they still come back a few days later.

I'd say play the game, leave all the emotions there, and try to be better about tolerating crappy players. That's what I do (and suck at!) Sometimes you'll have great teams, bad teams, even teams, it all really evens out the more games you play. That's why I've never come here to vote on crap like the team balancer. I don't care and I'm down for whatever, and as soon as the angry games end, I move on.
Old 10-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
$m39m4
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Really? He calls 98% of the people here shit players, tells them to play better, offers no meaningful help on how people can improve and you think thats nice?

Sorry Carpe, that brings you down a notch in my book. I know I am rando internet dude and that means very little, if nothing at all, so be it.
I've actually tried to help people get better with a thread, so you can remove me from that criticism. But he's right. If a player didn't have a lightbulb moment when seeing what advantages of dodge-jumping has had over simply walking after all these years, there's just no excuse. Personally, I warmed up in a game of TAM. Rankin, 32 bots @ Godlike, 20 games to win. I screen-caped my results and I tried to do better every time. I won 20-3 with 15.4 average one time.

That said, those who were there for the challenge and adversity have left a long time ago. Those who remain are there for the friendship, I think.

But UT4 is a new beginning. It's not the same, but it's new and it will only grow in popularity. It looks fun, but I fear I'll never match what I had been, so I won't try. It would be great if an Onslaught mode appeared for it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Quote:

I think he was saying it was nice how well he conveyed his thoughts. Like, "nicely written" or something...

Never give up BITCHES!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:30 AM   #11
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Since your dream world of play better can't be achieved, why not try to take what you have and balance it out? I suspect I know why, something along the lines of "I am an awesome player and you should all figure out how to bow down to my greatness and learn to play better so I am not so bored."
I've never had an attitude or desire of wanting anyone to "bow down to my greatness." But, as $m39m4 put it, if the light bulb hasn't come on for someone by now, I guess it's not going to. It's not those with physical, internet or equipment limitations that bother me, but those that just flat out refuse to do basic things, and then subsequently groan about hax or OPV, that drive me to the point of caring less and less about balance and fairness. It's usually weak players like yourself that are constantly crying for balance, and I suspect I know why, something along the lines of you know you've reached your skill limit and the only way you feel the game is "fair" is to constantly reshuffle teams around in the hopes you end up with some better players.

Sumugun said it very well last night, and I'm starting to accept and adopt his view... there are just too many factors involved in onslaught to ever be able to make a balancer that truly works to make teams more even. And whatever has been done to the balancer settings lately to compensate on a per map basis has made matches even more lopsided than I've ever seen. I wish I had recorded them because every single one of the last 20 or so matches I've played over the last 4 days has been completely and totally one-sided. Most of those matches went in my team's favor, and I'm NOT happy about that just as much as nobody likes being on the receiving end. I do not find it fun to continually just dominate and pound on weak teams, and most players end up just leaving.

Quote:

I'd say I USED to call more like 33% of the players on OMNI shit players... well, because they just are. And the reasons they are have nothing to do with their rigs, pings or internet connections. And as I stated in a post about Techstyle being an unrepentant douche, at a point I realized I was being a major dick and have tried, admittedly not always successfully, to curb my tongue, unless it's Blackwood or Paracleetus just because they like to stir shit up without provocation. And I've offered a LOT of meaningful advice to dozens of players over the years. I've done so in game and in forum posts, both here and on the RMD forum. I've had players tell me they learned a lot by watching me and have thanked me for pointing out a facet of the game they never realized, like weak spots on vehicles. I'm willing to help anyone that's willing to listen to sound advice on how to improve their play, but I just don't think that many players left really give a damn about getting any better, or as you said, are incapable. Maybe I'm wrong on that point, so if any of you ever want my help or advice, feel free to ask and I will happily oblige.

Carpe, you are and will remain top notch in my book. You guys are some of the best server admins I've ever seen, and the main reason I think this server is still going strong.
Old 10-18-2016, 01:07 PM   #12
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
It's usually weak players like yourself
With "weak players" like me not building and linking nodes and supporting vehicles how long could you whore your favorite point smashing vehicle? I mean, holy shit you may have to get out, build a node or support a teammate. Though I rarely top the scoreboard, I go where needed, build nodes, support teammate (which, by the way you are not a teammate) and come in upper middle of the scoreboard with my PPH. The people in the PPH range I play in afford you the chance to camp your favorite vehicle and do whatever else you do while playing. We are also the ones who stay to the rounds end while folks of your kind bitch quit mid round, baling with a stream of disparaging remarks on how this team sucks.

Also, go fuck yourself.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
The people in the PPH range I play in afford you the chance to camp your favorite vehicle and do whatever else you do while playing.
Also, go fuck yourself.

Hook, line and sinker... knew you wouldn't be able to resist that bait!

You're clearly confusing me with Techstyle. And here's what I do while playing... straight from Epic stats page:

Power Nodes Constructed: 31,433 (20.5/hr)
Power Nodes Destroyed: 32,574 (21.3/hr)
Constructing Nodes Destroyed: 19,005 (12.4/hr)
Power Cores Destroyed: 4,902 (3.2/hr)
Hours Played: 1532.4

And you:
Power Nodes Constructed: 8,902 (3.7/hr)
Power Nodes Destroyed: 18,504 (7.6/hr)
Constructing Nodes Destroyed: 6,905 (2.8/hr)
Power Cores Destroyed: 1,926 (0.8/hr)
Hours Played: 2,430.4

Hmmmmm... looks like I build nodes at 5-1/2 times the rate you do and 3-4 times the hourly rates for everything else. THAT is why my PPH is often at the top and 3 times higher than yours, not to mention my frags per hour is more than double yours. But you can go on believing you're somehow just as or more effective for your team, I'm sure you'll try and find a way to somehow dispute those numbers.

So yeah, you're a weak ass player who cries about balance incessantly who has barely changed the way you play over many years. But thanks for healing my "point smashing vehicles" anyway!
Old 10-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #14
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:

You're clearly confusing me with Techstyle. And here's what I do while playing... straight from Epic stats page:

Power Nodes Constructed: 31,433 (20.5/hr)
Power Nodes Destroyed: 32,574 (21.3/hr)
Constructing Nodes Destroyed: 19,005 (12.4/hr)
Power Cores Destroyed: 4,902 (3.2/hr)
Hours Played: 1532.4

And you:
Power Nodes Constructed: 8,902 (3.7/hr)
Power Nodes Destroyed: 18,504 (7.6/hr)
Constructing Nodes Destroyed: 6,905 (2.8/hr)
Power Cores Destroyed: 1,926 (0.8/hr)
Hours Played: 2,430.4

Hmmmmm... looks like I build nodes at 5-1/2 times the rate you do and 3-4 times the hourly rates for everything else. THAT is why my PPH is often at the top and 3 times higher than yours, not to mention my frags per hour is more than double yours. But you can go on believing you're somehow just as or more effective for your team, I'm sure you'll try and find a way to somehow dispute those numbers.

So yeah, you're a weak ass player who cries about balance incessantly who has barely changed the way you play over many years. But thanks for healing my "point smashing vehicles" anyway!
Lagzilla is certainly not a ''weak ass player.''

1. He is always linking my Leviathan/Tiamat's or linking the Minotaur, Aegis. I even see him defending the Areblest on Djunk
2. He builds and attacks nodes; maybe not as successful as you... But point being, he goes after nodes to build and destroy.
3. He doesn't camp the lower primary node with the Ion Tank to spam the other teams primary unlike Shadow who does camp the lower primary and spams Ion.
4. He always attacks the core on Masterbath. If Lagzilla is on your team and the opponents core is available... I'm 100% sure Lagzilla is the one shooting at the enemy core. With or without another teammate.
5. Like you, he has the ability to lead teams and I've seen him do it.
6. He will go after certain vehicles/persons when they become a problem for the team. Example 1) Tiamat on Arctic Junkyard. Example 2) Snipers on top of 5 in Masterbath where the Ion Spawns. Example 3) Previous versions of Djunk- Turtle on the hill. Many more examples too.... Enemy arbelest on Djunk, Enemy SPMAA on Arctic, Minotaur between the nodes on Magic.
7. He doesn't waste vehicles like Shadow.... by repeatedly taking vehicles on that damn bridge

Lagzilla, by far, is not a weak ass player.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #15
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:

That's not bait. That's you being a raging troll asshole. I am done with you and your like. As I mentioned earlier, and I sincerely mean it... go fuck yourself.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #16
elc
Just Registered

As the home page of this site says:

"The clan is about comradery and fun, not about being "l33t""

I'll take a not so skilled player who tries to help his team by linking nodes, healing vehicles, giving rides etc etc over a selfish asshole that does none of the above and shits on the other players in the game, and is only in it to get as many many points as they can.

I always wonder what kind of complete douchebag you have to be in real life if you can't even act decently in a game where after all nothing is on the line.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
Wormbo
Wormlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by elc View Post
[...]in a game where after all nothing is on the line.
Don't be silly, games are all about pride and e-peen size. Those are the most important values on the internet!

[edit]
Disclosure and stuff:
Onslaught game hours: 58.1
Power Nodes Constructed: 327
Power Nodes Destroyed: 441
Constructing Nodes Destroyed: 146
Power Cores Destroyed: 21
Old 10-19-2016, 01:10 AM   #18
$m39m4
Just Registered

Some players who don't do the Deathmatch basics are good Onslaught players, but they usually compensate it with communication/leadership skills. I'm looking at you GuyThatKillsYou
Old 10-19-2016, 09:15 AM   #19
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by elc View Post
"l33t""
I'm not getting into this discussion except for the bit about what "l33t" means. I didn't know until I googled it.

l33t urban dictionary definition:

As the Internet was coming into its own, during the early 1980s, hackers that didn't want their websites, newsgroups, etc, to be picked up in a simple keyword search began using numbers to replace certain letters (mostly vowels) such as A = 4 or E = 3.

At this point, l33t speak was only known to a select few and only used when necessary. However, in 1994, id Software began to add Internet connectivity to Doom and Doom II, leading to a revolution in PC gaming and also to the rise of l33t speak.

As with any type of competition, 'smack' talk became prevalent in online gaming. Phrases such as 'I am elite' became common place, and somewhere down the line l33t speak crept in, reforming the phrase into '1 4m 3l1t3' in order to demonstrate that the speaker was a hacker and someone to be feared. It was further exaggerated by purposeful bad spelling and eventually wound up as something like this, '1 4m 3l33t!' and simplified to, '1 4m 133t'. Hence the name 'l33t speak'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=l33t
Old 10-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #20
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Man, and I thought I knew it all. Thanks for the research Lovin'.
All I know is some great guys that I enjoy being in-game with are going at it here for no good reason. Scores are so objective as is ability. There are some truly good players as the stats back up. But I know that score tells a poor story respecting a player. I can get a huge score in a game by grabbing an OPV or building a lot of nodes (what is that? 6 points each?) and spam a node or two for good measure. However, I can really turn the game around for my team by putting the Turtle on the Arblast in JunkYard and letting the other player reek havoc (and score huge) with cluster bombs. Problem is I get zero score for covering his can...thankless job, and I look like a failing player despite the fact that my efforts may be the single most important factor in a win.
We all know when a team just ain't gellin' and it happens... a lot! But that's the breaks, balance or no balance. Even a stacked team sometimes just doesn't get it done, so my recommendation is; in the immortal words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament