Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 09-19-2016, 02:22 AM   #1
Binger

Default Displaying a message on the screen.

Does anyone know how to display a message on the screen? I followed the instructions on this page but it only shows down in the lower left and not at the top of the screen where I want it.

https://udn.epicgames.com/Two/TriggersTutorial.html

I set up a volume around the core spawn area that slowly damages players. I want to display a message on the screen that says something like "Low Oxygen! Move Out!".

The reason for the damage is so that if a player is idle from the game or round start they will soon die and then get kicked. No need for teammates to try to kill them. The area is separated from the room with the core so it won't affect enemy players trying to destroy the core.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:43 AM   #2
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I had horrible luck getting this to work in FOF. I ended up leaving it spamming the text lines to get it to go.

Can you incorporate a sign and some lights or something?? If so, I can help get it together if you like.

Andrew
Old 09-19-2016, 05:56 AM   #3
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Also, found this:

https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/User:E...MessageTrigger

And this:

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Cannot test as I am away from my PC, sorry

Andrew
Old 09-19-2016, 06:25 AM   #4
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

If you go to the miami biatch thread, look for the tactical shadows mut that I posted and look at the code there. I think it may be what you want.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:46 AM   #5
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Here is a link to the mod as well, if that is easier.

http://www.lonebullet.com/mods/downl...free-21867.htm

Andrew
Old 09-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #6
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

What is with the "LevelEnterText" in the Level Properties.. isn't that what you want?

What you can also try is using a "Trigger" in combination with a "ScriptedTrigger" (Keypoint->AIScript->ScriptedSequence->ScriptedTrigger). The message from the normal Trigger is shown in the message area. Use the normal Trigger to activate the ScriptedTrigger. For example +TriggerType: TT_HumanPlayerProximity and a ReTriggerDelay 10s maybe also bTriggerOnceOnly=True.
For the ScriptedTrigger go to AIScript -Actions
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_WaitForEvent" -New set the Tag.
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_DisplayMessage" -New - Message: Your Message - messagetype: see pictuare - bBroadcast: Well you have decide.. When true everybody will see it when someone triggers it.. when fals onte the player who triggers it will see it.
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_WaitForTimer" -New - set a pause time.. for example 10s
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_GOTOAction" -New- ActionNumber: 0

The problem is that the normal Trigger is only activatet when someone walks trough it. Spawn and not moving will not trigger it. When you broatcast it everybody will get the message. When bTriggerOnceOnly is false all will get the message when someone spawns at the core. When it is True players who join late will not get the message.

bilder kostenlos hochladen
Old 09-19-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
Binger

Wow, lot's of responses. Thanks everyone. I'll check this out later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I had horrible luck getting this to work in FOF. I ended up leaving it spamming the text lines to get it to go.

Can you incorporate a sign and some lights or something?? If so, I can help get it together if you like.

Andrew
A sign wouldn't really fit in with the theme of the map. It's a ship drifting in space that is being claimed by two different teams. The starting point is in the ventilation system near the edge of the ship. There wouldn't be a sign in there. The message is supposed to come from something like the character's AI HUD, although I know that really isn't a thing in UT. If someone goes idle after not being idle and they are in a different location than the core spawn area then it won't help, but at least this will get players kicked if they are idle from the start. It wouldn't work on most maps but it will work just fine in this case.

Quote:
Also, found this:

https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/User:E...MessageTrigger

And this:

https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

Cannot test as I am away from my PC, sorry

Andrew
I played with some other triggers and some volumes also but I couldn't get any to work. I didn't try for very long before I decided to ask in here in case anyone knew for sure how to do it. What's weird is that in that link I posted they got the message to show in the top of the screen but I did the same thing and it didn't work. Their example is also what was done on Grit-Nights at the trials pyramid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
If you go to the miami biatch thread, look for the tactical shadows mut that I posted and look at the code there. I think it may be what you want.
Cool, I will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
What is with the "LevelEnterText" in the Level Properties.. isn't that what you want?
I've put text in there before and nothing happened. I'm not sure what that's about.

Quote:
What you can also try is using a "Trigger" in combination with a "ScriptedTrigger" (Keypoint->AIScript->ScriptedSequence->ScriptedTrigger). The message from the normal Trigger is shown in the message area. Use the normal Trigger to activate the ScriptedTrigger. For example +TriggerType: TT_HumanPlayerProximity and a ReTriggerDelay 10s maybe also bTriggerOnceOnly=True.
For the ScriptedTrigger go to AIScript -Actions
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_WaitForEvent" -New set the Tag.
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_DisplayMessage" -New - Message: Your Message - messagetype: see pictuare - bBroadcast: Well you have decide.. When true everybody will see it when someone triggers it.. when fals onte the player who triggers it will see it.
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_WaitForTimer" -New - set a pause time.. for example 10s
-Add - Dropdown chose "Action_GOTOAction" -New- ActionNumber: 0

The problem is that the normal Trigger is only activatet when someone walks trough it. Spawn and not moving will not trigger it. When you broatcast it everybody will get the message. When bTriggerOnceOnly is false all will get the message when someone spawns at the core. When it is True players who join late will not get the message.

bilder kostenlos hochladen
I'll try this later. Thanks for the info. Bottom of the screen is fine also. I just don't want it in the lower left with all the chat and death messages.

It doesn't matter if a player has to move from the spawn to see the message because if they aren't moving then they are idle and getting them kicked is the whole point. Broadcasting to everyone would only work at the start of a round, since everyone is going to be in the core spawn area. After that I don't want it showing to everyone when someone spawns at the core in the middle of a round. Basically, anytime someone spawns at the core they are immediately going to start taking damage and I want something on the screen for them and only them that explains what's going on, cause you know people will be all like "wtf".
Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 PM   #8
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Oops, Miauz's solution is what you want if it's a map. The other is for a mutator. Thanks for the post.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

The LevelEnterText is shown in the same way and spot like the MOTD from the server. So very easy to miss in litle wite letters.^^ I'm not 100% sure, but it should send and broadcast from the server.. It is send only once, at the start from the map.

For the trigger: I thing an easy and aceptable solution for you would be the broadcast with a trigger delay from like 30s. Or ensure that the players will leave the trigger radius fast. Like putting the spawnpoints on a platform from that the have to jump to get to the weaponlockers. Reason: without broadcast everybody has to trigger it itselve.. so you can't have a delay.. so it will spam the message as long as you are moving in the radius.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:03 PM   #10
Binger

Quote:
The LevelEnterText is shown in the same way and spot like the MOTD from the server. So very easy to miss in litle wite letters.^^ I'm not 100% sure, but it should send and broadcast from the server.. It is send only once, at the start from the map.

For the trigger: I thing an easy and aceptable solution for you would be the broadcast with a trigger delay from like 30s. Or ensure that the players will leave the trigger radius fast. Like putting the spawnpoints on a platform from that the have to jump to get to the weaponlockers. Reason: without broadcast everybody has to trigger it itselve.. so you can't have a delay.. so it will spam the message as long as you are moving in the radius.
Hmm, interesting. I'll play around with it and see what I can do. This is the scenario. Players start inside a large ventilation system. They are at the bottom of a large shaft. There is nothing in that area with them. There are two ways out of the room; jump pads to vent shafts higher up and a moving door triggered by proximity. There are no weapon lockers, this is the map I'm using the modified AR on. Players need to leave the area through the door or the jump pads or they will die in 100 seconds. I don't want to add anything to the room, like platforms, as it would not fit into the theme of the area.

Lag's idea of a sign might actually work. I sometimes forget that all the maps in UT are supposed to be arenas set up for the tournament so having signs would make sense. This map came from an idea of a campaign mode level for UT4, where everything in the map would need to have a reason for being there other than being put there on purpose for a tournament. UT4 has no campaign mode yet and it likely never will so I decided to use the map idea for UT2004 Onslaught. That's why I'm a little hung up on everything in the map making sense as having purpose there for other than the tournament. I've thought a lot about that and it just isn't possible with UTs arena theme. For instance, why would tanks be on a spaceship? My solution to that would be to have all vehicles spawn in hangers where they were staged for deployment to a planet via transports. I will have to make some concessions to the arena theme so a sign might work but I will try to get the onscreen message to work first.

I might as well throw out my idea for this map in this thread...

The theme is a trilogy of maps that are all on the same drifting spaceship. The maps will share an area, so the first map will share an area with the second and the second map will share and area with the third map. The maps are all called Adrift with subtitles of Ventilation, MidShip, and Command. The first map is mostly in the ventilation and service areas of the ship and will probably not have vehicles. The second is more like engineering areas and will hangers with vehicles. The third will contain personnel areas and the bridge/command center and I'm planning on using areas from the AS-Jumpship map for that.

Here are some pics of my WIP. These are all very rough cuts with some meshes thrown in to get an idea of what may work. Lots of work is still to be done. For some reason these pics were very dark so I tried to lighten them up a bit.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #11
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Awesome! Look forward to seeing it. If you need me to throw together a sign, lmk.

Andrew
Old 09-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #12
Binger

@Miauz, I used the ScriptedTrigger method and it worked. Thank you. I appreciate the help. I'm still experimenting with it to get it to work exactly like I want but at least now I can get the message on the screen. I will post more about it later. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:40 AM   #13
Binger

I set the collision on the trigger to cover the whole room then set the players to drop in but I think this is only going to trigger for one player. I have no way of testing that though without playing it online with other players. I'm still thinking on it.

Here's a short video of what I got so far for the beginning of the map. I couldn't figure out how to spawn monsters so I stole that from AllFallDown. The timer on it seems buggy.

I want to add an emitter that looks like wind blowing up from the vents in the floor where the jump pads are but I've never worked with emitters so I don't know how to do that.

https://youtu.be/vZiDSjo_tuk
Old 09-21-2016, 02:22 AM   #14
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I set the collision on the trigger to cover the whole room then set the players to drop in but I think this is only going to trigger for one player. I have no way of testing that though without playing it online with other players. I'm still thinking on it.

Here's a short video of what I got so far for the beginning of the map. I couldn't figure out how to spawn monsters so I stole that from AllFallDown. The timer on it seems buggy.

I want to add an emitter that looks like wind blowing up from the vents in the floor where the jump pads are but I've never worked with emitters so I don't know how to do that.

https://youtu.be/vZiDSjo_tuk
Anytime you want to use my server for testing, feel free. We can load whatever you need on there.

Andrew
Old 09-21-2016, 03:14 AM   #15
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
I want to add an emitter that looks like wind blowing up from the vents in the floor
Let me know if this will work.

Wind+Sound
Old 09-21-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
Binger

Quote:
Anytime you want to use my server for testing, feel free. We can load whatever you need on there.

Andrew
Cool, thanks. I could set up a simple room to test the message but let me get a little further on with the map and then maybe we can test the whole thing.

Quote:
Let me know if this will work.

Wind+Sound
Sweet. That's perfect except what setting to keep it from rotating with the camera? I haven't tried it in a map but in the editor it moves to stay perpendicular to the camera's z-axis. I'll play with it to see if it does that in a map and then how to prevent it if it does but if you know already what setting it is that would be great.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #17
Binger

Quote:
Sweet. That's perfect except what setting to keep it from rotating with the camera? I haven't tried it in a map but in the editor it moves to stay perpendicular to the camera's z-axis. I'll play with it to see if it does that in a map and then how to prevent it if it does but if you know already what setting it is that would be great.
I think I got it. Sprite>UseDirectionAs>PTDU_Up.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #18
Binger

Lag, how did you make that emitter?

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner