Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-24-2016, 12:35 AM   #21
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
I'd like to point out there's still one last change to the EvenMatch stats tracking in the pipeline that I didn't get around to releasing yet. In addition to the generic tracking, there can also be map-specific tracking. That way players who are known to be better or worse on a particular map than they are on average are rated appropriately for initial team shuffling purposes. I can't promise any particular time when I will get around to get it released, but if there's interest I'll try to get it up within the next few weeks.
I think this would help even out the bumps. Now if we can just turn on end of round balancing...

Thanks for your continued support of this game, it is appreciated.

Andrew
Old 09-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #22
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Now if we can just turn on end of round balancing...
I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an asshole but if I'm in the game from the start and I get switched between rounds then I am probably going to quit the game. Where does the shuffling end. This is not kindergarten. Someone has to win. There will always be one team that is better than the other and trying to make the teams perfectly balanced is going too far, imo. Do the best at the beginning and let it ride.

I am, though, for a mulligan shuffle, but just once.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #23
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I'm sorry if this makes me sound like an asshole but if I'm in the game from the start and I get switched between rounds then I am probably going to quit the game. Where does the shuffling end. This is not kindergarten. Someone has to win. There will always be one team that is better than the other and trying to make the teams perfectly balanced is going too far, imo. Do the best at the beginning and let it ride.

Yeah, if the first round is short, I'm happy to switch. If I'm 20 minutes or more into a match, then I'd rather we just hurry up and finish an unbalanced game than reshuffle.
Old 09-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #24
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post

The Mulligan is fine with a shuffle, but then maps can drag out since we are playing 5 rounds.

Said it before, will say it again... who cares what team you are on if it is balanced? They are not family, you are not married to them.

Andrew
Old 09-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #25
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Yeah, if the first round is short, I'm happy to switch. If I'm 20 minutes or more into a match, then I'd rather we just hurry up and finish an unbalanced game than reshuffle.
I agree...please don't give me a reason to rage quit!
Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #26
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Had this cutie named Colbye in the my badger just last evening. Went to go parking on a hill and enjoy the view, maybe shoot off some sniper rounds at our last remaining node. Sure enough that DimSuck wrecked our ride for us. LOL
You said you wouldn't tell anybody, you unimaginable bastard.

I personally feel that there should be zero balancing.

If a weaker team beat a team full of "name-brand" players, I think that'd be really fucking cool.

I think everyone who is in the game before the round start should be random selected for blue or red. People joining mid game can be sorted in a way that keeps the team equal as far as amount of players is concerned.

Typing "teams" would still be a thing.

I doubt a single person would want this, but...It's how I feel in my heart, damnit.

I love you all.

Never give up BITCHES!
Old 09-27-2016, 09:43 AM   #27
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Getting switched in the middle of a match/round often sucks. You know you just built a key node, and bam..you're on the other team. If it turns lopsided, it at least should be over quick. With shorter matches, faster OT, this would make it sooner that things get reshuffled.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #28
-Goose-
Getting there...

Quote:
If a weaker team beat a team full of "name-brand" players, I think that'd be really fucking cool
This happens occasionally when people alias.

I always get a kick when I take the Mino under a new name and some of the regulars give me grief over voice. They don't usually have much to say by the end of the map though. But really, the meta isn't even about wining or losing anymore, so why should team balance matter at all? To prolong the rounds allowing people the time to demonstrate their dominance on the scoreboard? Yeah, prettymuch.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #29
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbye View Post
You said you wouldn't tell anybody, you unimaginable bastard.

I personally feel that there should be zero balancing.

If a weaker team beat a team full of "name-brand" players, I think that'd be really fucking cool.

I think everyone who is in the game before the round start should be random selected for blue or red. People joining mid game can be sorted in a way that keeps the team equal as far as amount of players is concerned.

Typing "teams" would still be a thing.

I doubt a single person would want this, but...It's how I feel in my heart, damnit.

I love you all.
The last two days I got stuck on a team with mostly mid-level players and against a stack of pros. Each time the game cycled to the next map the stack stayed the same. That's a serious drag!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #30
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDoggie View Post
The last two days I got stuck on a team with mostly mid-level players and against a stack of pros. Each time the game cycled to the next map the stack stayed the same. That's a serious drag!
There were actually two matches yesterday where the teams were quite balanced. Unfortunately, those were also the matches where everyone was disconnected, breaking up the game.
Old 10-23-2016, 07:04 PM   #31
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Can the balancer be set to not balance games using per-map data? Every game has been one-sided since it was turned on and the player counts are suffering because of it.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #32
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Can the balancer be set to not balance games using per-map data? Every game has been one-sided since it was turned on and the player counts are suffering because of it.
Every is a stretch. A Few good matches today were very enjoyable.

The way the balancer is setup is flawed.
Old 10-23-2016, 11:12 PM   #33
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Every is a stretch. A Few good matches today were very enjoyable.

The way the balancer is setup is flawed.
No shit sherlock
Old 10-23-2016, 11:27 PM   #34
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
No shit sherlock
Helpful and informative, thanks for furthering the discussion.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:30 AM   #35
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Won't it take some time to get accurate per-map scoring per player? I imagine, for most it would take a few games on each map to get a good average score....not sure if its reached that level yet?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:51 AM   #36
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

It won't ever reach that level because people are dynamic and have varying performance based on how they feel like playing at that moment. Also, new players will always join and the balance will be swayed by that.

At the current rate, people are getting pissed and you can see that by the recent player activity.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #37
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
It won't ever reach that level because people are dynamic and have varying performance based on how they feel like playing at that moment. Also, new players will always join and the balance will be swayed by that.

At the current rate, people are getting pissed and you can see that by the recent player activity.
Has this feature even been turned on yet? I saw the post saying it was being worked on. But did not see anything saying it was done?
Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #38
-Goose-
Getting there...

I can provide a pretty simple formula for player strength estimation if so desired...
Old 10-24-2016, 02:45 PM   #39
Wormbo
Wormlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Won't it take some time to get accurate per-map scoring per player?
I would imagine so. But it would also take a version that tracks and uses per-map data, which I did not get around to release yet.
(Turning the balancer off made it worse, but turning it on again made it worse even more? Do we observe something called "Nocebo effect" here? )
Old 10-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #40
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
I would imagine so. But it would also take a version that tracks and uses per-map data, which I did not get around to release yet.
(Turning the balancer off made it worse, but turning it on again made it worse even more? Do we observe something called "Nocebo effect" here? )
I am not convinced it is worse, I am convinced with it on there is something to blame though.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught