Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 05-17-2016, 04:12 AM   #1
duh
www.gotse.cx

Default Export vehicle models to .stl

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this..

Is there a way to export vehicle models to stl format for 3d printing purposes? I can't seem to find anything on google. I use AutoCad and blender for modeling, if that helps any....

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #2
Terminator
Getting there...

So when I read the title of the thread, "Export vehicle models to.stl" I thought you meant Export vehicle models to St. Louis... Carry on.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Binger

You can export them to Blender but I forget how exactly. I just did it recently. I will figure it out tonight and post how to do it. Umake maybe? I forget the program to use but I have it and will send it to you if needed.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpos...7&postcount=52
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #4
duh
www.gotse.cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
So when I read the title of the thread, "Export vehicle models to.stl" I thought you meant Export vehicle models to St. Louis... Carry on.

that's what i meant, Terminator. I want to ship you a real tiamat. Hope you have a big driveway!

Thanks Binger, I appreciate your efforts.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post

Is there a way to export vehicle models to stl format for 3d printing purposes? I can't seem to find anything on google. I use AutoCad and blender for modeling, if that helps any....

Thanks!
These turn out surprisingly well, though everything I have printed has required minor tweaking. Apparently game vehicles don't translate well to reality.

I have printed weapons too, which took a decent amount of work as well.

Andrew
Old 05-17-2016, 03:17 PM   #6
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:

Thanks!
Also, if you get stuck I can check things when I get back home... it will be a bit though.

Andrew
Old 05-18-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
Binger

This is what I used. UModel.

http://unreal.shaungoeppinger.com/re...vertex-meshes/

I forget where to find the meshes for vehicles but let me know if you have trouble there. You will have to export all the meshes for the vehicle separately and then line them back up in Blender. I know little about Blender but it sounds like you won't have any trouble with getting them ready for printing once you get them into Blender.

This is the method I used for the character meshes, which gives you an OBJ file.

http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Usi...aracter_meshes

Lag, have you done UT vehicles and weapons? What did you use to get them into another app?
Old 05-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Binger

Any luck on this duh? Iirc, I used the PSK models but had to use an importer with an older version of Blender since I couldn't find one for the newest one. I know I also successfully got OBJ files for the Goliath and can import those into the newest Blender. They are huge but setting scale to .01 seems about right.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the geometry on the vehicles is implied by the textures.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
duh
www.gotse.cx

no luck yet. I think I'm being held back by my total ignorance of how Unreal works "under the skin". UE seems to support some kind of stl export, but I'm not sure how that works yet. I have found a couple models on thingiverse and such, but it would be even better if I had a way to build my own from the game. Oh well, I'll keep looking and learning! Thanks to everyone that is looking into this for me.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Binger

Blender can export as stl so you just need to import the model into blender in any format.

What exactly are you trying to do? Just to be clear, are you trying to get a vehicle from UT2004 into an stl format so that you can 3D print it? Do you need the materials and textures? What vehicles are you trying to print? Are you having trouble exporting as obj?
Old 05-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #11
GLoups!
Just Registered

If you can import 3ds format in Autocad and export to stl, may be it work:

Try this thread

Edit: or blender may be...
Old 05-24-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:

Thanks!
my zbrush exports .stl, fyi
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 09:55 AM   #13
duh
www.gotse.cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Blender can export as stl so you just need to import the model into blender in any format.

What exactly are you trying to do? Just to be clear, are you trying to get a vehicle from UT2004 into an stl format so that you can 3D print it? Do you need the materials and textures? What vehicles are you trying to print? Are you having trouble exporting as obj?
I'd like to be able to somehow export vehicle models from unreal into my editing software, then export that to an stl or obj file for 3d printing. I don't really need textures or matrials, just a mesh. Everything I print is single color so a basic model will do.

Which vehicles do I want to print? All of them...lol...j/k. I have a grandson that I'd love to make a Hellbender for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoups! View Post
If you can import 3ds format in Autocad and export to stl, may be it work:

Try this thread

Edit: or blender may be...

A quick look showed me that blender imports 3ds,obj,stl and a few others. I just need to figure out how to get the meshes (I think that's the right term) out of unreal and into one of these formats. I can export to stl format fairly easily after that. I'm going to be playing with UnrealEd as there seems to be a way to do this, I just need some more experience.

Thanks again, everyone!
Old 05-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #14
duh
www.gotse.cx

Success!! I ended up using Umodel (thanks Binger!) to export to a pskx file. I downloaded an add-on for blender that allows importing pskx files. From there I can edit and export to stl format. I haven't printed anything yet, but my printing software imported a Hellbender model correctly, so I'm pretty confident that this will work.

Thanks again to everyone that helped out. Lots of good suggestions....
Old 05-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #15
duh
www.gotse.cx

And here's the first print. Still need to play with the model some more so I can have rotating wheels and not so much support material, but I'm quite happy so far...
Old 05-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #16
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:

And here's the first print. Still need to play with the model some more so I can have rotating wheels and not so much support material, but I'm quite happy so far...
I will fucking pay you to print a Leviathan and mail that shit to me!!! Can you print me two? One deployed and one undeployed? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #17
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Cool!
And I really like your desk/workbench.
I could imagine to put something like this on it:
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
duh
www.gotse.cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I will fucking pay you to print a Leviathan and mail that shit to me!!! Can you print me two? One deployed and one undeployed? Thanks!
Way ahead of ya, bro....lol

You may have to wait a bit, but I'm gonna try really hard to make this happen for ya. The problem I'm running into with these models is that every turret/moving piece is an animation and I need to figure out how to bring those over to blender. I'll get it figured out eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
Cool!
And I really like your desk/workbench.

I could imagine to put something like this on it:

That's a pretty cool piece. Is that a terrarium inside the bulb?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:32 PM   #19
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Quote:
That's a pretty cool piece. Is that a terrarium inside the bulb?
Thank you.
It is and it's growing. It's filled with moss and light up with a LED. The screw is the switch.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:02 PM   #20
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Miauz55555 That is really cool!!! Did you buy that or make it and if you made it do you have the plans?? Really Really Cool!!!

DUH that is awesome!!! I had no idea you did 3d printing I may have to talk with ya soon about a few things!!

If anyone needs a Tiamat it's Terminator that is so funny, we should start a kickstarter "Tiamat for Termi"

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner