Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 04-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
infinitecat
Just Registered

Default New translocator

I just watched Terminator flitting about Magicisle with some new type of magic translocator. Please tell me that this is a new hack that can be filtered out or, frankly, Unreal has become an unplayable wasteland.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitecat View Post
I just watched Terminator flitting about Magicisle with some new type of magic translocator. Please tell me that this is a new hack that can be filtered out or, frankly, Unreal has become an unplayable wasteland.
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14834
Old 04-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I am working on an update to the map that will restrict the number of ammo the trans has and also greatly reduces the blank angus gun ammo. Also has a couple smaller tweaks to jump pads and stuff. Hope to have it done soon.

Andrew
Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #4
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Note: this is just a rant, a pressure release.

Ugh.

I know it doesn't matter, but "improvements" like this are one of the reasons I don't ONS anymore.

The current state of ONS is, in my mind, a travesty. Call me old fashioned, but this wonderful
gametype of this wonderful game has moved far, far away from it's roots. Since it was pretty
close to perfect (in my estimation), that's sad.

I can remember when Gorz started adding amped up vehicles to the mix, we had long long discussions
about how each one impacted overall gameplay. We were always cognizant about trying to maintain
balance. After one or two adds, it became somewhat like a runaway nuclear meltdown; because vehicle
"x" gave this advantage, vehicle "y" had to be added to offset it. Oh, and because we have vehicle "y"
now, we need to have vehicle "r" to counter-act it. etc. etc. etc. Now all that remains is the
nuclear winter/wasteland that was once ONS.

Near the end of my ONS playing "career", it was approaching silly. Now it's mind bogglingly (yes, that
is an )o( word !) crazy. One of the best things about ONS in it's early life was the simplicity of the
game; A small handful of vehicles, nodes, the standard UT weapon loadout and teams of players. Gone
the way of the dinosaur now.

[/end rant]

Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Binger

Very well said, Carpe. I agree, although I'm somewhere more in the middle (the silly area). I do like custom stuff and I find completely stock style ONS kind of boring, but things have gone way too far, imo. I'm giving up on trying to stop it, though. What can I do? Start another server and hope people show up?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I try to roll with all the punches and evolve. Albeit, I was at once, forbidden being in the mino, back in the day, so I stuck with badger, hunting quite effectively I might add, and now people don't curse me when I am in it. So, live and let live. I love all the work modders do to help, and I appreciate all the hard work admins must endure to keep a resemblance of sanity with all the egoic tantrums around. I've had a spell or two.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Very well said, Carpe. I agree, although I'm somewhere more in the middle (the silly area). I do like custom stuff and I find completely stock style ONS kind of boring, but things have gone way too far, imo. I'm giving up on trying to stop it, though. What can I do? Start another server and hope people show up?
About two weeks ago I somehow got several old-school maps voted in a row like ONS-TheVine, ONS-Primeval, and ONS-Bridge-Of-Fate. Almost nobody knew how to play those kinds of maps, and a large amount of people ended up leaving the server until a tank map was voted in later.

Since not too many people want to play with stock vehicles, the best maps in my opinion are ones with a good combination of stock vehicles, the weaker custom vehicles, and infantry gameplay. That way people with all kinds of skill levels and play styles can have fun and contribute to their team. Examples of this type of map are GunShop, Tyrant, MasterBath, and HomeSweetHome.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Same here. I liked it most from the 2008-2010 era. The vehicles were custom, but they were all balanced in their own special way. Nowadays every map is TMU or German-invasion-RPG level of modded. I remember when Scorched was a popular map.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #9
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Nowadays every map is TMU or German-invasion-RPG level of modded.
Just the maps that get voted. I would say that about half the maps on the list don't fit that description.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:40 AM   #10
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
I liked it most from the 2008-2010 era.
*like*

Old 04-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #11
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
About two weeks ago I somehow got several old-school maps voted in a row like ONS-TheVine, ONS-Primeval, and ONS-Bridge-Of-Fate. Almost nobody knew how to play those kinds of maps, and a large amount of people ended up leaving the server until a tank map was voted in later.

Since not too many people want to play with stock vehicles, the best maps in my opinion are ones with a good combination of stock vehicles, the weaker custom vehicles, and infantry gameplay. That way people with all kinds of skill levels and play styles can have fun and contribute to their team. Examples of this type of map are GunShop, Tyrant, MasterBath, and HomeSweetHome.
I for one, am too confined in Tanks-a-lot any version, as I fine the close quarters, even though they the man-tunnels help one progress to a node, it is all too constricting for my tastes. If I'm late at night and it is voted as majority, I'd rather exit than go through that grindfest. Don't get me wrong, when I am in it, I'll play to win. I always forget to set my gamma to navigate the man-tunnels though. I think being red-green color blind doesn't help... not in this map but others. I like the freedom of open air and terrain that helps sneakiness/cover. Love Bath/Tyrant/Home, and appreciate more maps like these to the queue.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:24 AM   #12
Wormbo
Wormlike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I like the freedom of [...] terrain that helps sneakiness/cover. Love Bath/Tyrant/Home[...]
Uhh, how do the "mini-me indoor" maps support sneakiness (except from camping on some shelf or ceiling lamps?) with a "terrain" that is essentially a flat floor without any features whatsoever? On some of these maps you can essentially side-step after spawning, pick up a weapon and kill opponents two nodes further away that did the same.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
Uhh, how do the "mini-me indoor" maps support sneakiness (except from camping on some shelf or ceiling lamps?) with a "terrain" that is essentially a flat floor without any features whatsoever? On some of these maps you can essentially side-step after spawning, pick up a weapon and kill opponents two nodes further away that did the same.
You may have a good point there. I'm just more partial to the other maps than Tanks-a-lot. In Tyrrant, there's the jump-points to the ledge for sniping, instagib. In Home, there are flyers, in Bath, Flyers and many teleporters. I just find Tanks, claustrophobic, too constrictive, or just that I don't utilize the tunnels, or know of any teleporters, to be honest.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament