Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 03-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #21
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
How can I rotate the terrain to mirror the map? I'm not quite at this stage yet, but after my test, using the actor rotate tool or the orthographic viewport didn't work.
In the properties for the new TerrainInfo under the TerrainInfo drop-down are the options for TerrainScale. Values for x and y need to be changed to negatives. I looks like it's not possible to only mirror in one axes, although I would have sworn that I have done that. I hope that wasn't your plan.

Note that when you duplicate a TerrainInfo it will steal the name from the old one for the new one and rename the old one.

Quote:
There are a lot of maps where one can copy/paste meshes, but it definitely takes time to arrange the objects.
The alignment is not a problem for me. It's finding the meshes that is. Even with all the community maps I have I have found very little that would be useful for ground floors on modern office buildings. That is, as far as things that where meant for that purpose. I've never gotten it to look good adapting other things. I end of using BSP.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:28 AM   #22
GLoups!
Just Registered

Quote:
How can I rotate the terrain to mirror the map? I'm not quite at this stage yet, but after my test, using the actor rotate tool or the orthographic viewport didn't work.
It's not so difficult, you'll have to export first you're height-map from unrealed and import it in (wiki)G16ed
Link:G16ed.

Then you'll have to select (example) top half and then flip selection, may be you'll have to mess with the menus, and save as G16 bmb files.

Re-import it with to same name if possible or go to Terrain properties/TerrainInfo/TerrainMap..

Later you'll have to repair/fix the seam between the two parts, and reajust layers manualy.

Last edited by GLoups!; 03-14-2016 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: add somes informations.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #23
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
In the properties for the new TerrainInfo under the TerrainInfo drop-down are the options for TerrainScale. Values for x and y need to be changed to negatives. I looks like it's not possible to only mirror in one axes, although I would have sworn that I have done that. I hope that wasn't your plan.

Note that when you duplicate a TerrainInfo it will steal the name from the old one for the new one and rename the old one.
Ah, this worked perfectly actually. Again, I'm not there yet, but the test worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoups!
It's not so difficult, you'll have to export first you're height-map from unrealed and import it in (wiki)G16ed
Link:G16ed.
Thank you for your reply, GLoups. How can I export the heightmap for G16ed via UnrealED? The wiki seems to be lacking here.

One more question. I've opened some maps to get the myLeveled vehicles that I needed. I've placed them and built paths, but when I save and play, only stock vehicles appear. How can I fix this?
Old 03-20-2016, 03:45 AM   #24
GLoups!
Just Registered

Just export it like a texture: right-clic on it in the textures browser and then export.

For the vehicles, that's weird, if you have copy and past the factory it would be ok, may be in the properties?
Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #25
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Thanks, I found the textures.

For the vehicles, I placed the pawn classes instead of the vehicle factories.

Last edited by Anonymous[Lolz]; 03-20-2016 at 11:31 PM..
Old 03-28-2016, 12:32 AM   #26
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

My progress so far: I've the vehicles arranged, special nodes added, terrain fixed (where it was sticking out, the texture layers are still fucked), added flora, path nodes, and other small fixes. I've still got some more to do before mirroring.

On a side note - I tried mirroring just to see how it would work out; it's not good. The bridges don't connect, which means there will have to be some major changes to get them to connect somewhere. If there will be three bridges, getting a tank to the other side will be nearly impossible. Another thing I noticed when mirroring was that the new side was much brighter than the old. There's also poor performance. I get 50 FPS on average near the middle, which is low enough to be a concern.

• The five tanks are the Arbalest (old), Ballista, Bio Tank, Fire Tank, and the Goliath II.
  • The three fliers are the Hammerhead, Phoenix, and Raptor.
  • There are two Hoverboards and three Mantas.
  • There's a King Hell Hound, Hell Hound, and Fire Hound.
  • There's an Aegis at the core, a Turtle at the primary, and a Cobra at the secondary.
  • There's also a Fire Wolf at the primary, parked on the parking lot near it.
http://imgur.com/a/SskJw

Last edited by Anonymous[Lolz]; 03-28-2016 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Someone deleted the images?
Old 03-28-2016, 02:26 AM   #27
Binger

Quote:
On a side note - I tried mirroring just to see how it would work out; it's not good. The bridges don't connect, which means there will have to be some major changes to get them to connect somewhere.
Yep. If you look at the pic in my first post you can see where the outside bridges run straight into a building. If you remove that building there is a road near there that you can connect up to the bridge. It makes a turn right at the top of a climb. You can remove the turn and extend the road to the point where the bridge comes across and connect them. That road there needs to be finished anyway. It will take some work but I think lining up the middle bridge and fixing the landing for the two outside bridges will require the least amount of work.

Quote:
If there will be three bridges, getting a tank to the other side will be nearly impossible.
What do mean exactly? Two bridges would not be enough for the map, imo, and would take a lot more work. Four or five bridges would be better but would also require more work. I was working on making the middle bridge wider but when I tried to scale up the bridge works it didn't look good.

Quote:
Another thing I noticed when mirroring was that the new side was much brighter than the old.
Is that because of the angle of the sun? Sunlight and shadows can be a bugger. Maybe adjust its angle or add another sun. You can also copy the suns from another map.

Quote:
There's also poor performance. I get 50 FPS on average near the middle, which is low enough to be a concern.
All of the inner buildings will need anti-portals inside of them. See posts #2 and #7 in this thread where Wormbo talks about that. Also, it looks like you have the fog distance even higher than I had it at 28000. You might lower that a bit.

A note about duplicating the map to the other side; any teleporters and jump pads and forced paths will still connect to the original side so you will need to change their destinations.

Did you start from scratch or did you pick up where I left off?

Also, just out of curiosity, what is your game resolution and FOV? I can't get my screen to line up like yours. I'm running at 1920x1080 with my FOV over 106.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #28
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Yep. If you look at the pic in my first post you can see where the outside bridges run straight into a building. If you remove that building there is a road near there that you can connect up to the bridge. It makes a turn right at the top of a climb. You can remove the turn and extend the road to the point where the bridge comes across and connect them. That road there needs to be finished anyway. It will take some work but I think lining up the middle bridge and fixing the landing for the two outside bridges will require the least amount of work.
I'm not sure what you mean by finishing the roads. Aren't they finished apart from the bridges?
Quote:
What do mean exactly? Two bridges would not be enough for the map, imo, and would take a lot more work. Four or five bridges would be better but would also require more work. I was working on making the middle bridge wider but when I tried to scale up the bridge works it didn't look good.
There are two bridges on one side, but there will be another when the main side is flipped over, so three total. Widening them would be ideal, but I think it will still be too hard to cross in a tank due to campers and whatnot. Jumppads that will launch the player across the river might slightly resolve this.
Quote:
Is that because of the angle of the sun? Sunlight and shadows can be a bugger. Maybe adjust its angle or add another sun. You can also copy the suns from another map.
I believe so. I like the current setup of light with the orange/yellow/blue. We'll see though.
Quote:
All of the inner buildings will need anti-portals inside of them. See posts #2 and #7 in this thread where Wormbo talks about that. Also, it looks like you have the fog distance even higher than I had it at 28000. You might lower that a bit.
I've added some anti-portals and they seem to help a lot, which is great. I've read they have diminishing returns, so I won't go overboard with them. The fog is still 14000/28000 but I lowered the fog ring a little so that might be it.
Quote:
A note about duplicating the map to the other side; any teleporters and jump pads and forced paths will still connect to the original side so you will need to change their destinations.
Did you start from scratch or did you pick up where I left off?
Thanks for the note, I'll do that; and I picked up where you left off.
Quote:
Also, just out of curiosity, what is your game resolution and FOV? I can't get my screen to line up like yours. I'm running at 1920x1080 with my FOV over 106.
I'm running 1920x1080 at 116. What do you mean by line up?
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 PM   #29
Binger

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by finishing the roads. Aren't they finished apart from the bridges?
Sorry, I wasn't very clear. There is an area where the road is covered in dirt. I think that is weird in a modern, undamaged city. The road doesn't actually extend under the terrain there so to connect it up more road parts would need to be added. I think that would be a good area for a plaza or parking lot.

If you remove some buildings in that area where the duplicated bridges land it clears up room for several options of joining up the bridges to the road.

Quote:
There are two bridges on one side, but there will be another when the main side is flipped over, so three total. Widening them would be ideal, but I think it will still be too hard to cross in a tank due to campers and whatnot. Jumppads that will launch the player across the river might slightly resolve this.
Okay, I just wasn't sure that you meant three bridges would be too much of a choke point. I think it will be okay. The original map only had two bridges and there are lots of maps where things come down to just a few choke points. Jumppads might be good, though. Widening the roads would be better but much more work.

Quote:
...The fog is still 14000/28000 but I lowered the fog ring a little so that might be it.
One thing about the fog ring. The fog is set to the same color as the ring and I think I had them adjusted together so that the tops of the buildings didn't just disappear but rather faded out nicely. Shouldn't be a big deal though.

Quote:
Thanks for the note, I'll do that; and I picked up where you left off.
I uploaded that more as a reference thinking you would start over. Usually when I start editing a map I do a lot of experimenting and then at some point I will start over or go back to a previous save that I know was safe. I hadn't really gotten to that point and I'm not sure what I may have done on that edit. It should be okay but I will have a look at it just to make sure I didn't do something important that you might miss. I don't want you to have to start over at this point.

Quote:
I'm running 1920x1080 at 116. What do you mean by line up?
When I tried to navigate to the same place in the map as your screen shots I couldn't get everything lined up the same in my view. I recently started using a 40 TV as my monitor (sitting on the desk right in front of me) and I've been playing with the display settings in the game. I set my FOV from the info on this page...

http://www.wsgf.org/fovcalc.php
Old 11-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #30
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

I've got a playable alpha ready.

What it still needs:
- Node map image
- Fixed terrain texture underwater near the edge
- Better elevators inside

I have no interest in doing the above. Other than those small issues, it's quite good. It might need optimization more advanced than antiportals.

https://www.mediafire.com/?t3k7f5ltkkh68rm
Old 11-06-2016, 09:42 PM   #31
Binger

Cool, looking forward to checking it out.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:10 PM   #32
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Before you do anything, I just noticed that the Ballista spawn is blocked by the Hellhound AND it's not the right version, I'll update the link.

https://www.mediafire.com/?t3k7f5ltkkh68rm
Old 11-07-2016, 11:53 AM   #33
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Cool, thank you for the update. I will copy my changes over to the new version. I put in a dam looking thing on the ends of the map to block the unfinished terrain and updated the mini map already.

I noticed some of the windows don't block vehicles that I can fix as well.

Do the elevators need to be elevators? Or can they be teleporters?

The map looks good. Nice work!

Andrew
Old 11-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #34
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Sure, the windows can be fixed. The elevators are really close, I just don't get why they don't go down on their own after four seconds. I guess it needs a trigger. I might try again later, it's very close to working properly. Otherwise, thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:49 PM   #35
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Sure, the windows can be fixed. The elevators are really close, I just don't get why they don't go down on their own after four seconds. I guess it needs a trigger. I might try again later, it's very close to working properly. Otherwise, thanks for the help.
I'm out. I can't think of why I would want to help you after all.

Andrew
Old 12-14-2016, 01:04 AM   #36
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

No problem, you weren't going to finish it anyway.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #37
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
No problem, you weren't going to finish it anyway.
Only elevators left. Fixed the seam in the duplication of the terrain that runs through the whole map up the middle, mini-map and put blocking volumes in the windows. Also terminated the ends of the river with some meshes.

As I mentioned, I just finished moving, so it has been slow. I still managed to find a few hours to test and work on this.

Andrew
Old 12-15-2016, 02:49 AM   #38
Binger

What was that all about?
Old 12-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #39
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

I miss this map!
Old 12-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #40
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDoggie View Post
I miss this map!
Me to! I prefer the city side and I like all the jump pads at cat walks on the side of the buildings. Easy way for foot soldiers to move throughout the map.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner