Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 10-17-2015, 12:26 AM   #21
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Never played those maps
No vehicles except VK's has a couple of Mantas. I like it. Never cared much for Stonewall. I just found it kind of boring. SpankJox is similar to SpaceJox I think; floating platforms in space. It's okay.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:54 AM   #22
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
No vehicles except VK's has a couple of Mantas. I like it. Never cared much for Stonewall. I just found it kind of boring. SpankJox is similar to SpaceJox I think; floating platforms in space. It's okay.
Have you ever played WrongTurn-Beta-1? I love that map!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #23
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

ONS-ScorpionCanyon is now on the server (it was previously on, just pulled from the redirect).

Old 10-17-2015, 10:45 AM   #24
Binger

Quote:
Have you ever played WrongTurn-Beta-1? I love that map!
Yes but the asymmetry doesn't work for me on that map. It's an Onslaught version of an UnWheel map called UrbanCicuit. I'm working on mirroring the map like I did with Goliath. It's a lot harder than Goliath, though and it's slow going. I started first with Wrong Turn but decided to start over with the original Urban Circuit version. It will be completely open without all the leftover blocking volumes that they kept in WrongTurn. It also bothers me that they renamed the map and gave no credit to the awesome UnWheel mappers.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14707

This is just a basic version of it. I've done a lot more since I took this screen shot. I'll start a thread for it when I get further on.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

for new maps!

I like all of them.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #26
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Yes but the asymmetry doesn't work for me on that map. It's an Onslaught version of an UnWheel map called UrbanCicuit. I'm working on mirroring the map like I did with Goliath. It's a lot harder than Goliath, though and it's slow going. I started first with Wrong Turn but decided to start over with the original Urban Circuit version. It will be completely open without all the leftover blocking volumes that they kept in WrongTurn. It also bothers me that they renamed the map and gave no credit to the awesome UnWheel mappers.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14707

This is just a basic version of it. I've done a lot more since I took this screen shot. I'll start a thread for it when I get further on.

Awesome! Please keep the Leviathan on there!
Old 10-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #27
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
ONS-ScorpionCanyon is now on the server (it was previously on, just pulled from the redirect).
It was voted on tonight, but didn't load, something is wrong with SC
Old 11-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #28
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Carpe, next time your messing around with the server, would you mind putting ONS-Rapanui-Gz and ONS-Rail back on? They were fun to play once awhile.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #29
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Carpe, next time your messing around with the server, would you mind putting ONS-Rapanui-Gz and ONS-Rail back on? They were fun to play once awhile.

Both on now. Let me know if there are any issues with them.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #30
Terminator
Getting there...

Does OMNI have a version of ONS-Magnanimous? Its a map that has potential to succeed but it does need the Lagzilla/Turbo K/Binger treatment. One side is a city with buildings (that you can actually go inside) and streets and the other side is a large port with battleships, submarines and towers and a desert area with a large waterfall. The sides are separated by an extremely wide river with two bridges that connect each side. And yes, its possible to take the Mino on the bridge.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #31
Binger

Quote:
Does OMNI have a version of ONS-Magnanimous? Its a map that has potential to succeed but it does need the Lagzilla/Turbo K/Binger treatment. One side is a city with buildings (that you can actually go inside) and streets and the other side is a large port with battleships, submarines and towers and a desert area with a large waterfall. The sides are separated by an extremely wide river with two bridges that connect each side. And yes, its possible to take the Mino on the bridge.
That map is in an Inspiration pack that someone posted in here once (foibos maybe). I was working on it for a while but gave up because it's very non-symmetrical, which I don't really like. Pretty map, though.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:38 PM   #32
Terminator
Getting there...

What can be done to make it symmetrical? While I know nothing about mapping or modding, it would appear to be a lot of work? I do like the city side, it is very pretty.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #33
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Yeah, that's a cool looking map, but the only way to make it playable is either asymmetrical vehicle loadouts, or have both cores on the same side like in ColdFusion or GunShop.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #34
Binger

Quote:
What can be done to make it symmetrical? While I know nothing about mapping or modding, it would appear to be a lot of work? I do like the city side, it is very pretty.
The thing is some people like asymmetrical maps. I didn't feel right changing the map because of that. It would be great, imo, if we could have asymmetrical maps in Onslaught but it's very hard to be sure that one team will not have an advantage, especially since there is often an odd number of rounds. If there was somehow always an even number of rounds then I think there would be a lot more asymmetrical maps.

It would take a lot of work to make it symmetrical but it wouldn't be very difficult from what I remember about this map. The geometry brushes would be easy, although as we learned from the Goliath map, copying and moving brushes can cause some issues . The static meshes, though, can't be flipped on an axis so you can't copy all of them from one side and flip them over. If the symmetry is in both axes then they can be spun around en masse but if it is in only one axis they have to be placed individually, which is very time consuming. So basically, duplicating all or part of a map and then making it mirrored in two axes is easier than just mirroring it in one axis except when it comes to joining the two halves. That is much easier in one axis. Both can be done though.

I looked at duplicating the whole map and either joining it on the city side or the hilly side. One would put the hilly side in the middle surrounded by two rivers with two separate city sides on the outside. The other, ofc, would put the city part in the middle surrounded by two rivers with two separate hilly parts on the outside. You could also join the parts on either of the edges where the river runs out but I didn't like that option.

In the end I decided to delete the hilly side and duplicate the city part to the other side mirrored in one axis. I got to the point where I had the hilly side deleted and was prepping for duplicating the city side over and that's when I stopped. I could take that back up if there is an interest. Mirrored in one or two axes? There is a day version and a night version, which to use?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 PM   #35
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
The thing is some people like asymmetrical maps. I didn't feel right changing the map because of that. It would be great, imo, if we could have asymmetrical maps in Onslaught but it's very hard to be sure that one team will not have an advantage, especially since there is often an odd number of rounds. If there was somehow always an even number of rounds then I think there would be a lot more asymmetrical maps.

It would take a lot of work to make it symmetrical but it wouldn't be very difficult from what I remember about this map. The geometry brushes would be easy, although as we learned from the Goliath map, copying and moving brushes can cause some issues . The static meshes, though, can't be flipped on an axis so you can't copy all of them from one side and flip them over. If the symmetry is in both axes then they can be spun around en masse but if it is in only one axis they have to be placed individually, which is very time consuming. So basically, duplicating all or part of a map and then making it mirrored in two axes is easier than just mirroring it in one axis except when it comes to joining the two halves. That is much easier in one axis. Both can be done though.

I looked at duplicating the whole map and either joining it on the city side or the hilly side. One would put the hilly side in the middle surrounded by two rivers with two separate city sides on the outside. The other, ofc, would put the city part in the middle surrounded by two rivers with two separate hilly parts on the outside. You could also join the parts on either of the edges where the river runs out but I didn't like that option.

In the end I decided to delete the hilly side and duplicate the city part to the other side mirrored in one axis. I got to the point where I had the hilly side deleted and was prepping for duplicating the city side over and that's when I stopped. I could take that back up if there is an interest. Mirrored in one or two axes? There is a day version and a night version, which to use?
Wow! How many maps have you started to edit? I remember you saying something about a manta map? I like the latter... Delete the hilly side and keep the city side. Lagzilla and I fooled around on his server and we spent the majority of time on the city side. There are some cool jump pads on the side of buildings and you can building hop. We also went on the tallest building and jumped down 250ft or so into the river which broke our fall! Love it! Day version would be cool but I can see a night version with a starry sky, as long as the blue flyers don't blend in the sky like they do on MTMU Kamek.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 PM   #36
Binger

Quote:
Wow! How many maps have you started to edit? I remember you saying something about a manta map?
Too many, which is why it's kind of sad that there are only 3 maps on the server that I have done any editing on.

Manta Drop is a neat idea but I will never do it.

Quote:
I like the latter... Delete the hilly side and keep the city side. Lagzilla and I fooled around on his server and we spent the majority of time on the city side. There are some cool jump pads on the side of buildings and you can building hop. We also went on the tallest building and jumped down 250ft or so into the river which broke our fall! Love it! Day version would be cool but I can see a night version with a starry sky, as long as the blue flyers don't blend in the sky like they do on MTMU Kamek.
The night version is pretty but I already started on the day version so I'll look into that. I think I like the idea of mirroring in both axes but it has its own problems, which you can see here with the terrain and lining up the two sides. This is just roughed in so I could see how it might work.

Old 02-20-2016, 04:42 PM   #37
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Too many, which is why it's kind of sad that there are only 3 maps on the server that I have done any editing on.

Manta Drop is a neat idea but I will never do it.

The night version is pretty but I already started on the day version so I'll look into that. I think I like the idea of mirroring in both axes but it has its own problems, which you can see here with the terrain and lining up the two sides. This is just roughed in so I could see how it might work.

Binger, wow.... That is beautiful. I can see some fun battles taking place on that version. After seeing that, I'd say a day version would work better than a night version. That is just awesome.

I can see my deployed Tiamat on the middle bridge waiting for Shadow to drive his Minotaur/Megabadger on the bridge!

What vehicles will work on this map? As far as ground vehicles, I think a Tiamat can successfully navigate the city streets since all 4 wheels steer the vehicle. If a Minotaur is to be considered on the map, I'd rather see the Megabadger. I think the Railgun, Basilisk, Alligator and the Aegis or the EONS Crusader (it can heal itself) would be good additions. The Node Exploder/Short Circuit would be cool too. The Cerberus as the lone truck variant.

As for flyers, I think the Draco could possibly work. It needs buildings/hills to hide behind and there are plenty of buildings. The Mirage Raptor, Flare Raptor and Falcon would be good flyers for the map.

Super weapons... Lagzilla and I messed around with the EONS Nuke Layer and we both like it.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:50 PM   #38
Binger

Quote:
Binger, wow.... That is beautiful. I can see some fun battles taking place on that version. After seeing that, I'd say a day version would work better than a night version. That is just awesome.

I can see my deployed Tiamat on the middle bridge waiting for Shadow to drive his Minotaur/Megabadger on the bridge!

What vehicles will work on this map? As far as ground vehicles, I think a Tiamat can successfully navigate the city streets since all 4 wheels steer the vehicle. If a Minotaur is to be considered on the map, I'd rather see the Megabadger. I think the Railgun, Basilisk, Alligator and the Aegis or the EONS Crusader (it can heal itself) would be good additions. The Node Exploder/Short Circuit would be cool too. The Cerberus as the lone truck variant.

As for flyers, I think the Draco could possibly work. It needs buildings/hills to hide behind and there are plenty of buildings. The Mirage Raptor, Flare Raptor and Falcon would be good flyers for the map.

Super weapons... Lagzilla and I messed around with the EONS Nuke Layer and we both like it.
I'm glad you like it. I'll go ahead and work on it. I'm going to start over though. I want to make changes to the city before I duplicate it to the other side. There is a lot of terrain on the city side that I think is out of place, even though he used a texture there that makes it look less like ground. I would like to make some of those areas into plazas. I also want to finish the roads and figure out how to connect the two bridges on the ends to the other side. Right now they just run into buildings. I think I will stick with the alignment in the picture so that there are 3 bridges. Two isn't enough, imo. I would like to do four bridges but it's harder to line it up good for that.

As far as weapons as vehicles... I have different opinions than most on what is good. I will probably do a load-out along the lines of tasteful restraint and then someone else can come along and put all those I-need-to-compensate-for-shortcomings-in-my-life things in it.

The fog distance on the current version is very low and it's such a nice looking map that I want to raise it way up. This means though that most weapons won't reach the fog so I will either set the fog at the distance of the Sniper/LG or maybe make custom ones that reach the fog distance. I will also put some custom Goliaths on it that reach whatever fog distance I set. I will also need to put in a lot of anti-portals to help with the optimization.

I started a thread for suggestions... http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...274#post208274
Old 04-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #39
Terminator
Getting there...

Does OMNI have their own custom versions of 2tricky and ArcticStronghold?
Old 04-02-2016, 02:46 PM   #40
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Does OMNI have their own custom versions of 2tricky and ArcticStronghold?
There's definitely a version of ArcticStronghold.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner