Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 08-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #21
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I'd rather waste time posting in here and playing UT.
Word up!

Never give up BITCHES!
Old 08-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #22
dimshade
Getting there...

Running 10 from a fresh install on my laptop. I can't comment on personal files and settings obviously. I always have them backed up since I try out a new OS every month or so (Linux distros mainly). I figure if I'm going to be troubleshooting 10 in a year or two, might as well get a head start on learning it.

So far, performance seems good. I don't see a significant change one way or the other. I despise all the (non)privacy features though ... spend almost an hour turning everything off and customizing behavior and appearance. Battery life is not as good as Win 7. However, I love being able to right click the start icon and have pretty much every option an admin would need. Don't remember if 8 had this (it's been a long time since I've used it). All in all, it performs well and I'll keep it for the time being. I will probably install UT on it this weekend just to see if it runs properly.

P.S. If you want to do a fresh install, upgrade your existing Win 7/8 installation, make sure the 10 upgrade is activated, then download the ISO and wipe/install. The fresh installation will activate automatically. Just hit skip (or "not now" or whatever it is) on the license key screen.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #23
analog
Community Veteran

8.1 had if you wanted it, not a whole lot of difference between 8.1 and 10 (except in in the pockets of the MS bigwigs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
Running 10 from a fresh install on my laptop. I can't comment on personal files and settings obviously. I always have them backed up since I try out a new OS every month or so (Linux distros mainly). I figure if I'm going to be troubleshooting 10 in a year or two, might as well get a head start on learning it.

So far, performance seems good. I don't see a significant change one way or the other. I despise all the (non)privacy features though ... spend almost an hour turning everything off and customizing behavior and appearance. Battery life is not as good as Win 7. However, I love being able to right click the start icon and have pretty much every option an admin would need. Don't remember if 8 had this (it's been a long time since I've used it). All in all, it performs well and I'll keep it for the time being. I will probably install UT on it this weekend just to see if it runs properly.

P.S. If you want to do a fresh install, upgrade your existing Win 7/8 installation, make sure the 10 upgrade is activated, then download the ISO and wipe/install. The fresh installation will activate automatically. Just hit skip (or "not now" or whatever it is) on the license key screen.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #24
Wormbo
Wormlike

You can also download the ISO without installing Win10 first.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #25
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
You can also download the ISO without installing Win10 first.
That's what i did. I downloaded both Pro and Home edition to 2 separate USB drives that the installer made boot-able.
The whole thing seems kind of hokey if you ask me. Get used to their big brother style CD Key then with this version (at least the free version), the installer key doesn't come into play but you know the shackles are getting attached somewhere.
I prefer open source Linux over that any day, but I must have my media edition pc for UT and other windows apps. I suspect Microsoft is feeling the heat of Linux (Android) and they care getting a bit desperate. I read something about the solitaire app that once came bundled in windows is now a monthly rental if you want it, or maybe it was ad free version.. either way, it seems to me they are trying the Google approach. I doubt they will be successful at it, because you can download and install another version of Solitaire instead of Microsoft's version.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #26
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sarge View Post
I suspect Microsoft is feeling the heat of Linux (Android) and they care getting a bit desperate.
If Msft is feeling the heat from anything, it is the fact that people are using their phones for crap instead of laptops and PC's. Ask the point and shoot camera industry how its going.

A windows OS is on more than 91% of the desktops and laptops. Mac crushes Linux at 8% of computers, Linux comes in at under 2%.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #27
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
If Msft is feeling the heat from anything, it is the fact that people are using their phones for crap instead of laptops and PC's. Ask the point and shoot camera industry how its going.

A windows OS is on more than 91% of the desktops and laptops. Mac crushes Linux at 8% of computers, Linux comes in at under 2%.
PC sales have plummeted over the last few years and it is directly tied to smart phone sales. People are finding that they can check email and surf facebook all from their smart phone rather than a PC. 90% of your PC consumer weren't PC savvy, So when smart phones came along, people found they could do the things on their smart phones/tablets that they once did on PC and at fraction of the cost. The only thing keeping Microsoft afloat is the royalty they get from OEM's (threat of litigation) MS Office and Enterprise Windows. The business i am in, Deskside support, in a rather large insurance company, is ruled by Microsoft Windows. Because? our developers, our software has all been centered around Windows. It would kill us in cost to have to retool for Linux, so we just keep plugging along with Windows. I have built, refurbished PC computers since the late 90's on the side. I gave it up in 2011. I went from selling about 20 a year to 1

Windows phones? last I heard they are losing ground badly. 96% of the worlds phones ship with Android and iOS (I think Android is 81% of that). This leaves 4% for Microsoft and others. You KNOW its bad when Microsoft lays off a huge work force at Nokia and talk is actually going around of changing Nokia to Android. So, Microsoft phones do not even come into play
Old 08-09-2015, 09:31 PM   #28
flacis
Just Registered

Default UT working?

So has anyone got UT to work on windows 10?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:38 PM   #29
Wormbo
Wormlike

It seems you will have to switch to OpenGL rendering.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:44 AM   #30
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacis View Post
So has anyone got UT to work on windows 10?
It ran just fine on the Preview Release of Windows 10 when I upgraded my PC to that. Haven't tried the shipping release yet.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #31
McGimpkins
©

For those of you that have access to HOC's forums, the have been talking about UT with windows 10: UT2K4 crashes on Windows 10

The main solution to keep it from crashing seems to be:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klunxis
ok this worked for me

Goto the game's directory then the System folder and look for UT2004.ini. Open it up in Notepoad and look for...

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]

Then look for...

ReduceMouseLag=True

Change this is False then save the file and the game should launch.
CHeers!
In addition the HOC community members are referencing another topic about it on steam with the same solution: Steam Windows 10
Old 08-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #32
Carbonsteel
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
For those of you that have access to HOC's forums, the have been talking about UT with windows 10: UT2K4 crashes on Windows 10

The main solution to keep it from crashing seems to be:

In addition the HOC community members are referencing another topic about it on steam with the same solution: Steam Windows 10
That worked like a champ!!!

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #33
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Using windows update, I'm trying to update windows 7. Every time the download starts, it says it's downloading windows 10 even though I have that particular box unchecked.

Do I have to manually update 7 from now on just to avoid downloading windows 10?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:25 AM   #34
dimshade
Getting there...

Have you installed the update (3035583)? If so, uninstall it. Then, when it shows up again in Windows update, right click it and hide it.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #35
Wormbo
Wormlike

If you have Win7 Pro or Ultimate, try the following:
  1. Hit Win+R, type gpedit.msc and run it.
  2. Go to computer configuration -> administrative templates -> windows components -> windows update.
  3. Edit "Turn off the upgrade to the latest version of Windows through Windows Update", e.g. by doubleclicking it.
  4. Choose the "Activate" radio button, then click OK.
In addition to that (and especially if you have Win7 Home), I recommend configuring Windows Update to not handle recommended updates the same way as important updates. That will prevent it from installing later refreshes of KB3035583 automatically before you can hide them again.
And to be entirely sure you never see that crap again, also apply this registry change.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:10 AM   #36
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
Have you installed the update (3035583)? If so, uninstall it. Then, when it shows up again in Windows update, right click it and hide it.
Thanks but I already tried that. No matter what I do, when the download starts, it says it's downloading Windows 10.

It's clear that once you 'sign up' for Windows 10, they want to make it difficult to back out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
If you have Win7 Pro or Ultimate, try the following:

Hit Win+R, type gpedit.msc and run it.
My machine doesn't have gpedit. Is there somewhere I can download it?
Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #37
Wormbo
Wormlike

No, that's simply not available for Windows Home editions.

Try here for ideas to prevent Win10 from being downloaded: Prevent the Windows 10 upgrade from installing after making your reservation
Old 08-22-2015, 08:23 AM   #38
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

None of the suggestions on that page work. Should I just 'upgrade' to 10?
Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 AM   #39
Wormbo
Wormlike

One of the suggestions is to upgrade and then immediately downgrade again. But maybe you can try uninstalling the latest Windows Update updates that enabled that feature in the first place.
In fact, try resetting the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM   #40
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Alright I figured it out.

I went ahead with the download even though it said "Downloading Windows 10".

Restarted my computer. I still have Windows 7 and everything's updated. All of that just because Windows Updates lied to me.

Thanks for your time, Wormbo!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament