Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 07-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
Wormbo
Wormlike

Default [Vehicles] Reversed SPMA/Helios Artillery

I think I may have overdone it a bit this time. After trying a "reverse SPMA" (driver controls the skymine gun, gunner the artillery turret), I created an abomination called the "Helios Artillery" and here's how it works:
  • The driver's weapon is this:

That's essentially a weaker version of the Poltergeist/Basilisk weapon, a combined heat ray and energy shock wave generator. Sounds bad enough?
  • Well, check out the gunner's artillery turret:

Yes, that is the beginning of a thermonuclear explosion of Redeemer dimensions. Granted, it does 20% less damage, but at a precision you'd usually only get with Ballista on a mountain. Except that the Helios Artillery doesn't even have to be anywhere in sight of the target location.
  • On the plus side (i.e. slightly balacing that strength), both the driver and the gunner are open to headshots. You'd really expect that in the stock SPMA already, but the Reverse SPMA and Helios Artillery actually make it possible.
Dare trying it?
Download

Last edited by Wormbo; 03-19-2016 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: version 2 available
Old 07-19-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

That's just awesome Wormbo
Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Wow, this is great. Thanks for working on this! I look forward to seeing it in a map.

Andrew
Old 07-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Wormbo
Wormlike

Fun facts:
  • The Helios artillery shell has a fuse timer that is set when firing it. It is automagically calculated to let the shell detonate about 0.2 seconds before predicted impact. That may not be optimal for the damage output against individual targets, but allows it to achieve greater overall coverage. (And it's not like you have a limited amount of them...)
  • If the shell collides with anything, it will explode harmlessly.
  • Fuse timer calculation is based on where the predicted trajectory hits, the actual flight path may be slightly off.
  • Did I mention you can replace the standard SPMA with either the Reverse SPMA or the Helios Artillery via correspondingly named mutators?
  • When I named that thing, it briefly escaped my mind that there's an infamous aimbot with the same name. I decided to keep the name anyway, but I'll have to live with the fact that I will never be able to use it as part of the package name... for reasons.
  • There's a smiley on the Helios artillery shell.
  • Bot duels between two Helios Artilleries seem to seel a lot of heat-ray related camera shot-downs. Doesn't stop them from launching the nuke, but the duels are relatively long anyway, because the vehicle can still be moved.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
McGimpkins

Wormbo, I'm not bright enough to stick it into a map, can you stick it on the [Omni]-FullVehicleLoadout map, so that I and the other dull knives can play with it?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Wormbo
Wormlike

Like I mentioned before: There's a mutator included to replace the stock SPMA. You can try it on any map that already has the SPMA (e.g. Adara, IslandHop, or many non-ECE stock maps in their "bonus vehicles" version) simply by adding the "Helios Artillery" mutator.

Anyway, this vehicle is pretty much still in "alpha" state, so I wouldn't want to make it seem like an official release by adding it to the loadout map already.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:10 AM   #7
McGimpkins

I like it, it is not overpowered however you have the upgraded UT3 artillery HUD and can hide behind structures and lob in shells:

Similar to the Arbalest if used strategically and you have a competent driver and gunner it can be a formidable weapon

Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 AM   #8
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Default Our Humblest Thanks and Gratitude!!

Wormbo that looks great!!! Hey!!!! Mcgimpkins, Q, Carpe, when can you add it to OMNI???? I wanna blow stuff up!!!

In all honesty Wormbo it is great to have you Binger, Turbo K, Kamek, Q, Carpe, MkGimkins to name a few and any of the other modders and mappers that keep inventing and pushing the limits..

Shout out to all of you Mappers, Modders, & Admins too for giving us all such a great way to kill each other and putting up with all our crap....lol

PS. If your a mapper or modder and I didn't mention your name I apologize, but I still think your Great Also!!!
Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #9
McGimpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post
MkGimkins to name a few and any of the other modders and mappers that keep inventing and pushing the limits..
Smoker,

I'm not a mapper or a modder. I haven't invested the time, patience, and knowledge into it like others on here have. I just fuck around playing the game and enjoy most of the people on here. Turbo K, Binger, Kamek, Danno, Gorz, and DjAyT deserve most of the credit for making the creative maps that a lot of people on the server play, Makeen DeSilva (Egg of Loon) and Iggi have also recently made some interesting maps, Wormbo is great at making interesting mods/vehicles, in addition Carpe, Analog, and Pi keep the wheels on the server, and Q keeps the forums up and running.

As Smoker also said, if I missed anyone I am sorry.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Default Seppuku

I kneel In abject apology to all the mapper, modder and server GODS that I failed to bring sweet words and offerings. I must now go perform Seppuku to atone for my grievous sins..

TNX McGimpkins for your post It's nice to put a name to some of the most important people on OMNI that give for the whole group so selflessly. Next time any people that happen to read this post see any of those people on the server tell them HI and THANKS they put up with a lot of crap from all of us considering we get to play on their server and maps.

As I have said before if your name wasn't mentioned I am sorry but your AWESOME!! hope that makes up for it..
Old 07-23-2015, 11:41 AM   #11
Wormbo
Wormlike

While I also like (sort-of cheesy) compliments once in a while, can we please return to feedback on the vehicle?
Are the any obvious things I missed or anything that, in your opinion, should be changed in any way?
Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #12
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Default SORRY

I say lets try it out!! The players are gonna be the first to find any advantages or weaknesses of the vehicle in play faster than us playing with it alone. but that's my useless opinion there. MMMMM CHEEEESY
Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #13
McGimpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
Are the any obvious things I missed or anything that, in your opinion, should be changed in any way?
Not that I noticed I like it the was it is. If you want to appeal to the community you could make it fly, stick a mino gun on it, increase the armor to 10,000, and when it is finally killed make it explode like a nexus missile taking out half the the map...
Old 07-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #14
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
While I also like (sort-of cheesy) compliments once in a while, can we please return to feedback on the vehicle?
I'll check it out this weekend. I'm also going to be finishing up some maps soon, and might even find one to try it out in if you think it can go on a server for testing yet.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 PM   #15
Wormbo
Wormlike

Feel free to myLevel it if you think it works in the map.

@McGimpkins: Thanks, I knew I missed something.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #16
Wormbo
Wormlike

More artillery goodies: the Hephaestus, named after the Greek god of metallurgy, fire, volcanoes, etc. (for download use the updated link in the first post)

That last pic might not look impressive, and placing that napalm carpet effectively can be slightly tricky, but it can be devastating against large vehicles and players on foot. The driver's flamethrower is the same as that of the Firebug or Draco and can be used to defend against incoming AVRiLs.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how the napalm globs will affect network games, especially when they are spawned.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:37 AM   #17
Wormbo
Wormlike

The final version is now available via the link in the first post. The download includes instructions on embedding the vehicles in a map. The Helios and Hephaestus Artillery stuff will only actually stay in the map if you use them, while the Reverse SPMA stuff will also stay if you use Helios or Hephaestus. (That's due to how I reused code and how the engine determines what to save in a map and what to throw away.)

With CEONSS input, the following balancing changes have been made: (not an exhaustive list, just the important things)
  • Reverse SPMA's skymines no longer hurt the vehicle itself.
  • AVRiLs targeting the camera shell will not switch lock to the vehicle. If you want to hit the vehicle, target it directly.
  • Camera shell size has been reduced by about 50%. This includes the collision cylinder, which was just ridiculously large.
  • Artillery primary shells can be shot down to explode harmlessly, similar to camera shells or Redeemer rockets. (Keep this in mind when dealing with a Helios Artillery.) Secondary shells released from the primary shell will ignore damage, though.
  • Although not specifically requested, driver and gunner are subject to headshots in the Reverse SPMA variants.
Pegasus also suggested an alternate targeting scheme altogether, but I have to admit I did not get around to try it yet. Maybe for a later release. As an alternative, allowing movement control over the deployed camera shell might also be an option to implement later.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #18
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
The final version is now available via the link in the first post. The download includes instructions on embedding the vehicles in a map. The Helios and Hephaestus Artillery stuff will only actually stay in the map if you use them, while the Reverse SPMA stuff will also stay if you use Helios or Hephaestus. (That's due to how I reused code and how the engine determines what to save in a map and what to throw away.)

With CEONSS input, the following balancing changes have been made: (not an exhaustive list, just the important things)
  • Reverse SPMA's skymines no longer hurt the vehicle itself.
  • AVRiLs targeting the camera shell will not switch lock to the vehicle. If you want to hit the vehicle, target it directly.
  • Camera shell size has been reduced by about 50%. This includes the collision cylinder, which was just ridiculously large.
  • Artillery primary shells can be shot down to explode harmlessly, similar to camera shells or Redeemer rockets. (Keep this in mind when dealing with a Helios Artillery.) Secondary shells released from the primary shell will ignore damage, though.
  • Although not specifically requested, driver and gunner are subject to headshots in the Reverse SPMA variants.
Pegasus also suggested an alternate targeting scheme altogether, but I have to admit I did not get around to try it yet. Maybe for a later release. As an alternative, allowing movement control over the deployed camera shell might also be an option to implement later.

I've placed the Helios and R-SPMA in the new map I'm working on. The Hephaestus seemed like it would cause lag issues with all the particles it spawns, similar to the Firewolf. The enhanced targeting scheme is nice, I don't see a reason to change it. The headshot susceptibility should be fun.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:22 PM   #19
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Now that these vehicles have gotten a bit of use online:
- When someone is in the reverse SPMA, the deployed camera is not visible to other players all the time, which makes it impossible to shoot down.
- The Helios' shell explodes harmlessly in mid-air if it's target is not nearby or on level ground, even when the aiming reticle is green.
- When killed by the Helios, the death message just says you were killed by whoever was driving. It would be nice if you could tell what vehicle killed you, especially since the explosions are invisible if the server has 20 or more players.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #20
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
- When someone is in the reverse SPMA, the deployed camera is not visible to other players all the time, which makes it impossible to shoot down.
This is getting frustrating. The camera disappears way short of the fog distance on D-Junk. Also on one of these vehicles the camera can be placed (or at least appears) on the ground. Combine both of these things with the fact that the Avril will no longer switch to the vehicle from the camera and they can be very hard to kill while they rack up kills themselves.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner