Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner
View Poll Results: Make Dria-TMU Symmetrical?
No, leave it asymmetrical. 7 43.75%
Yes, use the South part. 8 50.00%
Yes, use the North part. 0 0%
Yes, but some other part; East, West, or Combo. 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
Binger

Default Dria-S

I realize it's a little late for this since Turbo's current edit might be the last for Dria but I decided to do it anyway. I duplicated the south part of the map and replaced the north part with it. I could have done the north or even the east or west but I decided to try the south part first. I went back to the original but I might do the TMU one also.

This is a basically just a flipped version of the original but I did do a few things. I deleted a lot of the trees and raised the branches up off of the ground. I really don't like these trees because the bots can see through them. They don't seem to effect their sight at all. Raising the branches up helps a little, imo. I also beefed up a weapon locker then just copied it to replace all the others so right now all lockers are the same. I deleted the stock scorpions because they are just too slow for this. It needs a few more vehicles. Deleted all the work lights scattered around the map. Deleted all ammo pickups and move the armor pickups.

There are seams where I lined up the two terrains but I think they are acceptable. I might work on that some more.

I did this pretty quickly (for me) over the last few days so I probably forgot something.

That's about it. I'm not going to try to get it on the server as is. It might be all for nothing but I did it anyway.

Last edited by Binger; 04-20-2017 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: Removed link.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
That's about it. I'm not going to try to get it on the server as is. It might be all for nothing but I did it anyway.
Hey now, your work is ALWAYS appreciated. Without you and the other mappers we wouldn't still be playing this great game.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
Binger

Thank you, dimshade.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that I removed the image from the minimap. That will need to be redone.

I think Turbo's new edit is meant to replace the Gorz-Stones version so how about a symmetrical version of Dria-TMU with a different node setup to replace the one we play over and over and over and ...
Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Thank you, dimshade.

One more thing I forgot to mention is that I removed the image from the minimap. That will need to be redone.

I think Turbo's new edit is meant to replace the Gorz-Stones version so how about a symmetrical version of Dria-TMU with a different node setup to replace the one we play over and over and over and ...

That's kind of what I was thinking. The Gorz/Stones/TMU versions of Dria have a ton of changes from the original, so using the fixed original version as a base would be more work than it's worth. If you were to do a symmetrical version of Dria-TMU, that would make a big difference, since the slowness of the tanks makes the asymmetry very apparent.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #5
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
That's kind of what I was thinking. The Gorz/Stones/TMU versions of Dria have a ton of changes from the original, so using the fixed original version as a base would be more work than it's worth. If you were to do a symmetrical version of Dria-TMU, that would make a big difference, since the slowness of the tanks makes the asymmetry very apparent.
For some reason I was thinking that the Gorz versions were based off of the original. I like the texture on the terrain in the TMU version more so I'll have another try with making a sym version out of that.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:02 AM   #6
Binger

Hmm, I got this done with TMU and tbh it just doesn't seem right somehow. I might try the north side instead but I'm not sure this is going to work out. It just feels wrong. I'll upload it anyway to see if anyone has any comments. Just need to touch up the texture on the terrain and it should be ready.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 AM   #7
Binger

Here's what I've got so far. Still needs some clean-up work and I'm sure I'm forgetting something but it's close to done.

Last edited by Binger; 04-08-2017 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: Removed Link.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:02 AM   #8
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Here's what I've got so far. Still needs some clean-up work and I'm sure I'm forgetting something but it's close to done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fg4vhbnyf...01-04.zip?dl=0
Is that the TMU version? I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM   #9
Binger

Yeah, the last link is the TMU version. Other than the symmetry I didn't change much. I just copied everything from one side. All vehicles are the same. I added the OnslaughtSpecials nodes. I'm not sure I got the link set-up the same as it was. I couldn't remember how it was supposed to be (brainfart) and I didn't bother checking. I think it could use a new link set-up anyway.

My plan was to make islands and build forts on them like I did before but like I said, after playing it it just doesn't feel right. Maybe I was in a weird mood. I was also going to change out some of the vehicles. Maybe throw in a Tiamet. I'll play it again and think about it.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Binger

*bump*

I wanted to get people thinking about a symmetrical version of Dria-TMU. I'll be back with some thoughts later.

I've been reading the history of Dria-TMU for ideas. I can't find a thread for when Kamek first got this on the server but here's the threads for my edits.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14232

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14233

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14544
Old 10-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Binger

I'm not sure how much interest there is in this but I still occasionally hear people talk about the asymmetry of Dria. Here's my thoughts.

I used the south side of the map. The link is still active (the second one is TMU, the first one is regular Dria). For clarification the south is the part with the "big hill". The advantages of having the map be symmetrical are obvious. The disadvantage, imo, is that there are parts on the other side that I like and would miss. I chose the south side because it was the biggest part. I can do the north side also. It might also be possible to split it along the lake but I think that will be more work and I haven't tried that yet. It seems like it might be less work because the only seams would be at the ends of the lake but I'm pretty sure it will be harder to do.

Vehicles can be discussed also but the most important part is what side to use. Should I make a poll to see if people want this and if so what part to use?

Here are some pics for reference.

The southern parts (ignore that hole in the lake). This has the big hill where the Mino camps (this can be changed), the little hill outside of the corner node (I think I prefer that corner node over the other one but they both have good points and the south one does allow people to get up on that little hill and spam down when the node is locked, which sucks), and node 10 instead of 5 so that the Hurricane can't camp there and hit the lake node.

The northern parts.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #12
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I like the south side as is and if you can make a mirror symmetry, cool. I appreciate the work, and love the effort. A poll would probably be best here, no?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 11:03 PM   #13
Binger

Poll added.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:07 PM   #14
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I like the south side as is and if you can make a mirror symmetry...
Already did that. It probably needs some more work or maybe started from scratch but it's there if people want to get an idea of how it will work.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpos...34&postcount=7
Old 10-09-2016, 12:43 AM   #15
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Already did that. It probably needs some more work or maybe started from scratch but it's there if people want to get an idea of how it will work.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpos...34&postcount=7
Downloaded the map, went to instant action, went to Onslaught, went to alphabetical order, +ONS-Dria* I have a 18-24, and a (Bonus Vehicles) I can't see the -S- one?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 10-09-2016, 03:48 AM   #16
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Either way is fine. I don't mind the north side either since it gives you a place to hide the mino and link up. The south is probably better though because it'll force more things to happen.

Also I just now realize that it's a lake and not a river...
Old 10-09-2016, 12:17 PM   #17
Terminator
Getting there...

Can you add a Leviathan or a Shocker 2.0?
Old 10-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
Downloaded the map, went to instant action, went to Onslaught, went to alphabetical order, +ONS-Dria* I have a 18-24, and a (Bonus Vehicles) I can't see the -S- one?
Run a dependency checker please. If you don't have one then download this one. Click "Only Show Missing Files" then let me know what you need.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dmfvtgkydq...TDeps.exe?dl=0

Also, check for the map at the very end of the list in the game if you just added it to the folder. Sometimes it shows up there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Either way is fine. I don't mind the north side either since it gives you a place to hide the mino and link up. The south is probably better though because it'll force more things to happen.

Also I just now realize that it's a lake and not a river...
I'm still not sure if it's a lake or a river. I've decided to call it a lake but I think I used to call it a river. Why is it frozen? Is it frozen? This version looks cold so it makes sense but the original looked hot so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Can you add a Leviathan or a Shocker 2.0?
No soup for you.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:48 PM   #19
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

I feel asymmetry makes the map more unique. Most ONS maps are symmetrical. Dria is different. Some say, "..this is the easy side." but I don't really see that, it's just different and that makes the map cool, unique! IMO
Old 10-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #20
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDoggie View Post
I feel asymmetry makes the map more unique. Most ONS maps are symmetrical. Dria is different. Some say, "..this is the easy side." but I don't really see that, it's just different and that makes the map cool, unique! IMO
You mean like Evergreen and All-Fall-Down?

Asymmetrical maps are fine, they just need to have the vehicle loadout setup to neutralize any advantages one side might have. An example is in my Dria-Gorz edit where the Falcon on the bad side spawned faster.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner