Other Games All Other Servers

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Other Games

Old 03-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #1
GlueEater
Getting there...

Default WoT explained.

Reading GTKU's comments about strategy in another thread got me thinking. Played this for about a year and then took a long break. Now I'm dipping my toes back in slowly.
When I wrote a quick review on this a year or two ago I was pretty specific that it had a lot of issues with it. Issues that made me rage quit on a regular basis. Up until World of Tanks I never rage quit from a game.
I'm happy to say some of these issues have been fixed but there still are a few things that you need to be aware of. So I figured I'd point out the good and the bad.

Cons
1. Public matches are where you will do your grinding to get experience and silver to upgrade and buy new tanks. This by far is the most frustrating aspect of the game. No one really works together here. It's pretty much every person for themselves. I've run over to help another medium tank who's pinned down by an enemy heavy only too see him run off and let me get killed.

2. Winning is important. It earns you more money/experience. There is a certain degree of luck here. Either you get competent teammates more often or you don't.
I don't. Base camping or acting like lemmings where everyone goes one way is a guaranteed loss. Happens to me about 60% of the time.

3. Can get expensive. You don't have to get a premium account but it helps while grinding. Also some people are hardcore on the clan wars and they want you to use gold rounds. These cost real money.

Pros
1. Platooning, tank battles and clan wars are a blast. Away from public battles people work together, communicate, and the tense pace of the game will have your heart beating out of your chest.

2. You can be the general. Start a platoon, tank battle or even a clan and deploy your players where you want them. Strategy is the key here. If you have two heavy tanks watching a road and you didn't put a medium behind them to watch their backs. You just fucked up. Artillery has to be positioned properly and concentrate fire. Scouts are better used near the end of the game to figure out where the last remaining tanks are. This game will let you see just how good a leader you are.

3. Public matches suck but the other game mode are a lot of fun. All 15 guys on your team are trying to win. No one is screwing around. If you lose you share in the blame. If you start a clan you hand pick your members and let them go if they don't work out. You have complete control over that... something you don't have in a lot of games. That's why I think this game might be up GTKU's alley. Also it's not repetitive like onslaught. The enemy throws something different at you every time.

I have no idea why people think that onslaught is now a game of strategy. Suppress their secondary with the Mino and get node 6/9 with the dragon is all Dria boils down to. Clear off the sides and link the ion down the tunnel? That's not strategy... that's just stating the obvious. The problem with onslaught now is that you still have deathmatchers deathmatching, campers camping, tankers waiting for their favorite tanks to respawn and goofballs goofing off. No wonder the disharmony is so bad anymore.

Anyway, I thought I'd just illustrate the positive and negatives of WoT to you. There are more, of course, but these are the most important. GTKU I'd encourage you to take a hard look at this game.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Would you say it plays more like a real-time strategy game, or a FPS?
Old 03-21-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
guythatkillsu
Overseer/Pacesetter

Thanks for the thoughts, I have considered playing it since DJay suggested it awhile back. I actually downloaded it but I get turned off by the new monetized strategies of game developers. Maybe after my departure from ONS I will give it another chance. I've have been seriously considering other, more productive efforts for my time than video games.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:38 PM   #4
GlueEater
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Would you say it plays more like a real-time strategy game, or a FPS?
I'd say it's about 80% RTS and 20% FPS.

There are about 10 different maps that offer several different paths to victory based off of the tanks you have on your team. That last part is key. Take the map "Lakeside" for example. There are 3 paths to the enemy base.
Send your whole team down the valley will work great if they don't have tank destroyers set up on the other side. (Your heavys will get bogged down in the soft dirt.) We've won with that strategy in clan wars several times. Then again we've lost too. Do you rush the town with the medium tanks instead? You can get shut down pretty quickly against just a few heavy tanks hiding on the outskirts. If they send their mediums too then it's a battle. Game on! Do you take the open road that's a straight shot to their base? Fast and easy win if they don't have artillery. If they do you are so screwed.
Do you sit and wait? See what they offer up first? What if they are waiting on you? How many scouts do you use and when? Three paths so three scouts? Then that takes away from the number of heavy tanks, tank destroyers and artillery you can have. Lots of decisions to make.
Couldn't tell you how hard my heart would pound at the beginning of each clan battle. I was actually nervous.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:53 AM   #5
Nodrak
Im a little hoedrak.

I get a very TAM like vibe from WoT when I play it. One of the few games where skill and knowledge is a major part of the gameplay like UT. 15v15 game where it is possible to 1v11 and win (I have done it twice).

Fast, tactical, high skill ceiling, but also frustrating and grindy. (Also Tier 1-3 is not like the rest of the game, its like a pile of noobs in a demo server, Teir 5 is where the skill ceiling takes off).

Old 09-25-2015, 01:10 AM   #6
Lagzilla
Getting there...

WoWS is the same way... first few tiers are n00bs ramming ships together.

Andrew
Old 09-25-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
WoWS is the same way... first few tiers are n00bs ramming ships together.

Andrew
So that's why Gack hasn't been around lately.
Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Binger

I just reinstalled this. Fortunately my account was still active. I only took a couple of minutes to check out the menu system and then jumped in for two battles. I'm going to read up as much as I can but I thought I would ask some questions here to see if I can get some quick answers.

I'm happy right now to just grind away on the lower noob levels until I get better. I'm a slow learner and I don't want to get over my head and be a burden to my teammates.

I have a lot of tier 1 and 2 tanks and two tier 3 tanks. I'm not planning on spending any real money. Should I sell off some of my tanks? I lean more towards a slow camping style but I don't think I want to go Tank Destroyer yet.

I want to learn to work with my teammates better. How do I let teammates know when I've spotted an enemy tank? If I spot a tank does it automatically update for my teammates or do I need let them know somehow? Do people communicate much? If so, how? Do people use voice chat and how does it work? Does it just default to your whole team or are there options? If I want to be a Scout what's the best strategy there? That again brings up the question of how to let your teammates know you spotted an enemy and good communication skills.

How does the monetary system work? There seems to be Gold, Credits (81,377), and Experience(234). I have the option to convert experience into Free Experience. What does that mean?

Does anyone use Auto-Aim?

How do I take a screen shot?

How do I repair my tank in battle and when should I?

How do consumables work?
Old 10-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #9
Binger

Is there any reason not to quit the battle if my tank is destroyed?

Here's my current tanks. Where should I go from here? Any suggestions? I thought I had two tier 3 tanks but it looks like I've only got one of them.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
Terminator
Getting there...

Have you played World of Warships?
Old 10-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #11
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Nope, just Tanks, so far. Are you playing Warships?

I was starting to remember why I stopped playing WoT but then I decided to try Tank Destroyers and I'm having more fun now.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Warships is fantastic. There is a huge buildup when playing, a good part of the match is getting to where you need to not be killed and also be able to hit stuff...

Andrew
Old 10-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #13
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Nope, just Tanks, so far. Are you playing Warships?

I was starting to remember why I stopped playing WoT but then I decided to try Tank Destroyers and I'm having more fun now.
Yes. Warships is fun!
Old 10-04-2015, 10:55 PM   #14
Binger

How big are the Warships files? I've only got 24 Gigs left on my drive. Tanks took 26 Gigs.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:28 AM   #15
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
How big are the Warships files? I've only got 24 Gigs left on my drive. Tanks took 26 Gigs.

Looks like 16GB on my drive is in use...

Andrew
Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:

Andrew
Yes!
Old 10-05-2015, 09:25 AM   #17
Terminator
Getting there...

Yeah I think its fun. I such at it though
Old 10-05-2015, 11:26 AM   #18
Binger

Quote:

Andrew
Thanks for checking. I'll have to clear up some room. I don't want to leave myself with only 8 Gigs. Lots of stuff I can delete. I used to love the old submarine games and this seems kind of along those lines so I might try it. I'm really looking to take a break from UT.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
I'm really looking to take a break from UT.
A little history.

I was 13 years old when the game came out in March of 2004. I played the demo for a few weeks before the game came out- even skipping school once to play the demo and I got my ass handed to me for that!

Neways, I played a lot of DM/TDM and non-rpg invasion and I was in clan S3x and HTM which was a DM/TDM I took a break from UT for about 6 months in 2006 in favor of Call of Duty 2... And Cod2 is the last best entry in the series. I loved playing on the bolt rifle only servers... I loved that Lee-Enfield. I had such a blast!

I came back to UT later that year and discovered TAM... Team Arena Master. I joined the BoT clan and was with them for a year. I left BoT and joined the DAMN! clan... And they had the best TAM server at the time and I made some fond memories over there with Bootsy, BBT, PiratePete, Widgetdude, Snake and Manburgler. In Feb-March of 2008, after the DAMN! Clan drama went down, I was heartbroken and went as far as uninstalling the game swearing to never play again. I went back to playing bolt rifle servers on Cod2 and did that for 10 months.

In late 2008, Cod2 slowly began to die in favor of those noob friendly Cod MWF games. I tried the first MWF game and I like it but it doesn’t have the charm that Cod2 has…. Much like Unreal Tournament 2007 (or UT3 as it was eventually called, remember that Ut2007 was originally the working title) doesn’t have the charm that UT2004 does.
I got bored over winter break that year and reinstalled UT2004. I started playing at MXC Tam server and a couple of other defunct tam servers to regain my skill which took some work. Then I started playing ONS at DW and OMNI. More so over at DW which is where I met Hyden, Chupacabra, GTKU, Paminator, and MP. I even remember jrambo playing at DW every so often.

After being back for only 6 months, I was started to get worn out. That is where HoC comes in. HoC is my saving grac, I found them at just the right time. I love that community very much and it was an honor to be recognized as senior member last year.

I started being a douche bag on OMNI in 2013. I remember, maybe 2011 or so, asking Dimshade where the SSR was on Minus, he wouldn’t tell me. Well, two years later, I found and rubbed it in his face “Remember two years ago I asked you where the SSR was? Well, I found it!”

I guess what I’m trying to see is a break is good, just make sure you come back. Right now, I’m having the best moments of my UT career. I’ve been playing the game for a long time!!! Since it game out! I have so much fun playing on HoC and playing on OMNI is fun as well…

BUT, the real fun is being on teamspeak talking with Mcgimpkins, Blackeyesue, Turbo K, Lagzilla, Racer X, Flacis and sometimes even Glueeater and Flounder make an appearance (yes, we let Flounder join). I’ve asked you and Dimshade several times to join teamspeak with us! Maybe one day you’ll pluck the hair out of your asshole and get teamspeak and game with us because you’re fun. I’ll be damned if Paracleetus gets on HoC teamspeak….. Fuck that.

See you on the server!

Old 10-06-2015, 12:34 PM   #20
Binger

I've heard you say that you were playing the game from the beginning but I had no idea you were so involved with clans and all that.

The SSR on Minus is nearly useless.

When I find myself being a jerk on voice chat then it's time to take a break. When I let my frustration at my teammates show then it's time to take a break. I've taken breaks before and come back. Honestly though I wouldn't mind quitting this game completely but I doubt that will happen.

It's very unlikely I will ever join Teamspeak but thanks for the invite.

Flounder talking? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arZdeg_fL-I

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Other Games