Map Issues - Requires Maintenance For all your map issues

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance

Old 04-20-2015, 07:42 PM   #21
Binger

I found some old threads about this map. It looks like the original was on the server until March '07 when Liera made some changes to stop it from crashing.

http://www.forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?p=99264
http://www.forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=7797

"- Removed the 70 or so unnecessary emitters". I'm guessing this is why none of the teleporters have emitters to show where they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD40 View Post
ONS-Halloween_nm-V2 has a few nice little hidden features in it. That currently being the hidden warp portals, found usually two to a node & core. Of course searching for something that you can't see or hear isn't all that easy, so an while ago I had created a edited practice version of the map, to better reveal the portal locations.
(Think of it as a Alpha build. ...I'm not that good yet at UnrealED.)

http://files.filefront.com/ONS+Hallo.../fileinfo.html

And after burning their locations into memory, the chance that I had gotten to play the unedited map online was most fun. ...I probably spooked most of Blue team that time. And be most fun yelling out to our fast vehicle movers as to what took them so long getting here... ...and especially the ones that are loaded up with players on the manta.
"Nice little hidden features". Lol, I'm afraid I don't agree with your assessment of this. I know you're just joking around but to be clear I definitely do not think any map should have hidden teleporters and I'm not planning on leaving any of them hidden in this map.

"- Removed the 300 unnecessary static meshes". This might explain why a map called Halloween has only two halloween themed meshes. I found some others scattered around outside of the map and floating in the air.

"- Quickly re-did the A.I patching, they'll heal nodes and attack, usually, trust me the old one was even worse.". I would say he got a little carried away with this. There was hardly any pathnodes left in the map and they did not connect all (or any, I think) of the nodes. The only way the bots would purposely go to a node was by using the hidden teleporters (the bots can see them without emitters).

Seems like some good, necessary clean-up so going back to the original and starting over would be a bad idea but I think he might have overdone it a little so if you have the original, Carpe, I would like to check it out to see exactly what he did.

Funny that through all that no one noticed the 20 or so rather large holes in the map.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #22
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Carpe, do you have any other versions of this map? I see there was one before V2 (makes sense) but I can't find an active download. I'm just curious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Ya, there was a variant before V2 (I believe it was the original, modified by someone on Omni). If you want
it let me know and I'll get it to you.

CD
Quote:
If it's not too much trouble that would be great.
Quote:
Seems like some good, necessary clean-up so going back to the original and starting over would be a bad idea but I think he might have overdone it a little so if you have the original, Carpe, I would like to check it out to see exactly what he did.
Carpe, if you have an earlier version of this could you upload it and send me a link. I don't think I ever got it. Thanks.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Carpe, if you have an earlier version of this could you upload it and send me a link. I don't think I ever got it. Thanks.
Here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lloween_nm.ut2

Advise when you have it so I can remove from my DropBox. Thanks.

Old 09-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
Binger

Quote:
Here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lloween_nm.ut2

Advise when you have it so I can remove from my DropBox. Thanks.
This isn't giving me a download. It opens in the browser window what looks like compiled code.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
McGimpkins

Quote:
Carpe is old and forgetful Binger. You need to remind him several times and speak loudly.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Weird. Dropbox doesn't like UT2 files. Here it is zipped (it works, I checked it).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...lloween_nm.zip

Old 09-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #27
Binger

Quote:
Weird. Dropbox doesn't like UT2 files. Here it is zipped (it works, I checked it).
Got it. Thanks.

Is that the only other version you have? It's not much different than v2. I don't see this many changes...

"- Removed the 300 unnecessary static meshes
- Removed the 100 or so unnecessary pickups
- Removed the 70 or so unnecessary emitters
"

There are some more halloween themed meshes so I'll put some of those back in. The teleporter setup is different and doesn't link all the nodes like v2. It's much more along the lines of what I was thinking it should be (and they are all marked with emitters).
Old 09-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #28
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

I have no other previous versions, and there are none on the redirect (files are never
deleted from the redirect).

Old 09-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #29
Binger

Quote:
I have no other previous versions, and there are none on the redirect (files are never
deleted from the redirect).
How would I check that? The links in the downloads area are crossed out.

I'm sure the one you sent is not the original. I'm guessing it's one of Liera's edits. No biggy though. Thanks, anyway.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
How would I check that? The links in the downloads area are crossed out.

I'm sure the one you sent is not the original. I'm guessing it's one of Liera's edits. No biggy though. Thanks, anyway.
You can't check, it's an FTP admin site.

What I'm saying is this. Every map ever put onto the Omni server since the dawn of UT2004 time is
on the redirect. We NEVER delete uz2 files from the redirect.

There may well be another version of Halloween, but it's never been on Omni.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:15 PM   #31
Binger

Quote:
You can't check, it's an FTP admin site.

What I'm saying is this. Every map ever put onto the Omni server since the dawn of UT2004 time is
on the redirect. We NEVER delete uz2 files from the redirect.

There may well be another version of Halloween, but it's never been on Omni.
Oh sorry, I was being stupid. I didn't read what you said well enough.

I found a version on the internet that has no extensions in it's name but so far it looks almost just like the one you uploaded. I haven't checked it out too well yet but it does have some extra packages. There doesn't seem to be much in them though. It's odd because things don't add up to what Liera said so that's what makes me think there's another version with some more Halloween meshes made by the original author. Oh well, it doesn't matter.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:44 PM   #32
Binger

I've got a version done with a different teleporter set-up. I deleted all the ones that let players move quickly around the map then added some back in. There are ones at the base that allow access to the tower there, ones at the lower middle node that give access to that tower, and a series of ones at the Levi node to get to the very top there. I put Redemers in the towers at lower middle and Levi nodes. What should be in the tower at the bases?

Besides the above weapon choices in the base tower the other things I'm debating are replacing the Paladins with Aegii and replacing the Scorpions with one of the Gorz varieties like Fuzzy suggested. Any opinions on the Aegii and what Scorp varieties to use to the replace the stock ones?

The other changes are a few more vehicles at the bases, updated weapon lockers, and some changes to the area around the Levi node in an attempt to have a path down boths sides.

This is ready to go except for the weapons in the towers at the base and the possible vehicle changes, so please give feedback on that or I will just go with what I want. If people really want the old teleporter system back but marked with emitters then I can do that.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:59 PM   #33
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

What's the fast scorp, tarantula? Just needs someway to get around fairly fast, especially if trying to recover.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:08 PM   #34
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
I've got a version done with a different teleporter set-up. I deleted all the ones that let players move quickly around the map then added some back in. There are ones at the base that allow access to the tower there, ones at the lower middle node that give access to that tower, and a series of ones at the Levi node to get to the very top there. I put Redemers in the towers at lower middle and Levi nodes. What should be in the tower at the bases?

Besides the above weapon choices in the base tower the other things I'm debating are replacing the Paladins with Aegii and replacing the Scorpions with one of the Gorz varieties like Fuzzy suggested. Any opinions on the Aegii and what Scorp varieties to use to the replace the stock ones?

The other changes are a few more vehicles at the bases, updated weapon lockers, and some changes to the area around the Levi node in an attempt to have a path down boths sides.

This is ready to go except for the weapons in the towers at the base and the possible vehicle changes, so please give feedback on that or I will just go with what I want. If people really want the old teleporter system back but marked with emitters then I can do that.
The Nebula is a fun Scorpion variant.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #35
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
What's the fast scorp, tarantula? Just needs someway to get around fairly fast, especially if trying to recover.
The Tarantula would be my first choice. It's fast but easy to control. No blades but the energy ball alt-fire is a decent replacement. The Stinger would be my other choice but it's a little hard to control because the back wheels also turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
The Nebula is a fun Scorpion variant.
I like the Nebula but I'm trying to keep a classic style and I'm not sure it fits in with that. I'll check it out though. I need more seats at the bases. I've got it up to 10 but I'd like to get a full 16 there not counting the Hellbender driver since it's rare to get 3 players in that vehicle.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:13 PM   #36
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
The Tarantula would be my first choice. It's fast but easy to control. No blades but the energy ball alt-fire is a decent replacement. The Stinger would be my other choice but it's a little hard to control because the back wheels also turn.

I like the Nebula but I'm trying to keep a classic style and I'm not sure it fits in with that. I'll check it out though. I need more seats at the bases. I've got it up to 10 but I'd like to get a full 16 there not counting the Hellbender driver since it's rare to get 3 players in that vehicle.

Yeah, if you're going for a ONS-Dawn type of theme, then basic Tarantulas would be best.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:54 PM   #37
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Yeah, if you're going for a ONS-Dawn type of theme, then basic Tarantulas would be best.
I'm trying to keep it as close as possible to the one that's on the server. The goal here was just to look into doing something about the unmarked teleporters that Fuzzy pointed out. I know if I don't put a Minotaur in it then it won't get played much but I don't care. I think some people still want a few of the classic style maps on the server so that's what I went with. This is mostly an off-hours map and that's fine.

I replaced the Scorpions with Tarantulas but didn't change any other vehicles. There are still only 10 seats at the base so I put teleporters back in from the base to the closest primary. They are one-way so players can't take them from the nodes to the bases.

I've think I've got this done. I'll do some more testing tonight and if everything looks good I'll submit it for the server.

Last edited by Binger; 10-24-2015 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: Deleted link.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance