Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-10-2017, 07:11 AM   #81
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Played last night, and it seemed once the tide turned, and you lost 3/4 or both, or even a primary, there was a huge shortage of vehicles to try to mount a comeback...maybe a couple more Regdab's in the base would help. Although I do confess, that there were noobs taking the bigger vehicles and essentially suiciding in them.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #82
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Played last night, and it seemed once the tide turned, and you lost 3/4 or both, or even a primary, there was a huge shortage of vehicles to try to mount a comeback...maybe a couple more Regdab's in the base would help. Although I do confess, that there were noobs taking the bigger vehicles and essentially suiciding in them.
All Minus versions suffer this problem, sadly.

A
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #83
Terminator
Getting there...

FINALLY! About damn time that other people (besides myself, Anon & Lagzilla) are starting to recognize the reverse badgers... Don't forget the Megabadger too.

Reverse badgers and the Megabadger will have crucial roles in the upcoming Nevermore edit by Lagzilla.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 PM   #84
Binger

I'm starting to regret leaving in the Nexis tank. I just couldn't bring myself to remove it from the map but maybe I was wrong. Thoughts?

I also think that the shield on the left primary should go because it's buggy. Sometimes it gets stuck.

I'll wait for some responses and read through the comments in this thread and then maybe look at a new edit for Nightwolf.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:38 PM   #85
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I'm starting to regret leaving in the Nexis tank. I just couldn't bring myself to remove it from the map but maybe I was wrong. Thoughts?

I also think that the shield on the left primary should go because it's buggy. Sometimes it gets stuck.

I'll wait for some responses and read through the comments in this thread and then maybe look at a new edit for Nightwolf.
Earlier you had mentioned turning this into a "pure tank map". Removing the Nexus Launcher and node shields would certainly help.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:16 PM   #86
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Earlier you had mentioned turning this into a "pure tank map". Removing the Nexus Launcher and node shields would certainly help.
I love the way that sounds "pure tank map". Ahhhh.

I don't think I was talking about Nightwolf though. I was just off reminiscing. The Hammerheads don't really fit in with that theme and at what point does Nightwolf cease to be Nightwolf. I guess the skybox and the way the bases are spun are unique.

I would love to see a version of Minus that fit my idea of a pure tank map be back on the server. I worked on that a little last night for the first time in a while but it's not based on Nightwolf. Those old versions like owner's version and some of the evo versions were what got me addicted to this game.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #87
Terminator
Getting there...

If any changes are made to Nighwolf, please remove the nexxus. Adding a Shocker or Tiamat would be cool too
Old 05-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #88
Binger

Carpe, can you please remove this map (v3) from the server? Even though Anon started the last edit I took it and ran with it and now I feel responsible for it still being on here. There is often a lot of complaining about it. Probably best if it is just removed.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:18 PM   #89
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

some still enjoy that map may need a vote on that one Binger
Old 05-08-2017, 01:56 PM   #90
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Played it at least once yesterday, maybe twice since Saturday. It's still a popular map which I enjoy.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:31 PM   #91
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Carpe, can you please remove this map (v3) from the server? Even though Anon started the last edit I took it and ran with it and now I feel responsible for it still being on here. There is often a lot of complaining about it. Probably best if it is just removed.
I thought your new version was an improvement over the old one.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #92
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I agree here, this version is an improvement. Many still enjoy it.

My critique of the map is directed at all Minus versions. The map design is flawed as the vehicles in the core are big enough to take the primaries down, but not really win them back. The effect is that the winning team sits back spamming the core until the misery ends.
Old 05-08-2017, 03:35 PM   #93
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
All Minus versions suffer this problem, sadly.

A
IIRC, this version is the worst, the newer? edits have at least some more powerful vehicles at the core. Not much to do with two aegis and a badger..
Old 05-13-2017, 12:25 PM   #94
Binger

I know I complain about maps while playing and don't follow my own advice to others to click the disconnect button so I don't have much ground to stand on here but this map more than any other seems to get people bitching during play and I'm tired of hearing it. If people don't like it then it would be good if they came to the forums and gave reasons and alternatives. Iirc correctly Blackwood said the current version was actually a little worse than the previous version but I'm not going to go back and read all the texts after a game has ended just to sift through people's opinions. If you don't like it then please give suggestions here in the forums.

I have some nostalgia wrapped up in Nightwolf. Someone that played this map 10 years ago on DW and hasn't played it since could get in to a match these days and recognize it as the same map. That can't be said of any other Minus map on the server. If this map is changed very much then at what point does it cease to be Nightwolf? Is it only that bad skybox that makes it Nightwolf? Four things stand out to me that have always made this map what it is. The Nexis tank, Hurricanes, and PPC tanks where not on any map on Omni for a long time. It was a unique experience to jump over to DW and play them. The other thing (actually two things) that stood out about Nightwolf for me was the rotated core bases and the broken walls covering the cores. The only thing out of those that I would gladly give up is the extra wall things blocking the core but I do think that maybe the Nexis tank should also be removed. I'm willing to work on this again if people come up with good suggestions that don't completely change the map but just so it's clear I will never add anything to a TMU map or any vehicle heavy map that gives players on foot more power against vehicles. That is something that is turning me away from this game. If that's the solution to ending the bitching about this map then someone else will have to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
IIRC, this version is the worst, the newer? edits have at least some more powerful vehicles at the core. Not much to do with two aegis and a badger..
Not sure what you mean here. The title of this thread doesn't reflect the current version on the server because I asked analog to put the latest version on the server during a time when Carpe hadn't been around for a bit. By "this version" are you talking about Nightwolf in general or the last edit that is currently on the server? Nightwolf has always had and still does have a Hurricane and PPC tank and Minotaur at the core, plus two Hammerheads. In fact the old Rc-7 version had two Hurricanes at the core. The new version also has a Goliath II at the core, which seems to be a vehicle some people underestimate, probably because of the reputation of the stock Goliath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I agree here, this version is an improvement. Many still enjoy it.

My critique of the map is directed at all Minus versions. The map design is flawed as the vehicles in the core are big enough to take the primaries down, but not really win them back. The effect is that the winning team sits back spamming the core until the misery ends.
This is a good point but what specifically about Nightwolf vs other edits of Minus causes this? What can be done about this in this particular case?

Here's some things I can think of but others please give suggestions...

Remove the Nexis tank. Some people may be disappointed but I don't think anyone will be really upset about it. The obvious replacement would be an Arbalest, just not the damn Cluster-fuck one.

Use the Ultimate factories to change what vehicles are spawned depending on what team owns the node. For instance instead of getting the Ion tank when building that node on the other teams side then maybe it would spawn something else, or nothing at all. Just removing the number of vehicles when a team owns the other teams nodes would help with the beat-downs.

I would love to see the old Minotaur put back on this map. Does the most overpowered vehicle always have to be the most overpowered version of that vehicle?

Reduce the number of Goliath IIs that I added. I don't think adding the old stock ones in is a good idea except maybe in very select circumstances, like maybe taking the other teams primary.

Remove a Badger or two.

Remove those extra wall bits blocking the core to make it easier to get core shots. With those in place, the bases being spun around, and the back of the garage blocked the cores can be hard to hit on this map.

Thoughts?

Of course any changes to minimize the beat-down could lead to endless stalemates. I think I would prefer that though.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:27 PM   #95
Terminator
Getting there...

I main complaint about this map is the damn Nexxus tank... It needs to go. It lags the server and is way too powerful. Does this map even need an Arbelest? Adding some newer vehicles would only benefit the map such as Alligator and a Plasma tank; even a Shocker should be considered.

How do you activate the shield over the nearest primary? I find it to be annoying. Perhaps I'm in the minority but it should probably go. Also, I like the idea how the center node can still be destroyed even though its locked. Is that because the Nexxus spawns there?

I don't mind the black sky on this map; because there is no dragon. The dragon is a dark red and the hammerheads are a brighter red so, IMO, Nightwolf doesn't give the blue team an unfair advantage like Kamek does.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #96
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

I do think the Nexxus tank makes Nightwolf, Nightwolf. I agree with Binger on the feel of it. I for one like the map, even for its flaws and I think its popular. I am all for adding a newer version but keeping the old ones. Kind of like GunShop, I like the new version but still miss the "classic" version.

My other comment referred exactly to what Lag said, you lose your primaries and you don't have enough at the base to win at least one back.

I think Randomizer is pretty popular too, since you get a different vehicle and node mix.

I do like Termy's alligator idea, I think those would be fun on the map.

I do like the idea of a version with no fliers.

I also think a version with some jump pads/elevators to get up (and in) some of the buildings would be cool...although there's a few that would just snipe or avril spam the whole match...

I think one of the most annoying things is dark sky/red dragon...comes out of nowhere and boom you're dead.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #97
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Is this the one where the badgers get stuck at base? Sorry, I'm still learning!

Never give up BITCHES!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught