Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-19-2016, 02:33 PM   #41
Binger

@Miauz. Yeah, Ive seen missing cubemap errors before that didn't cause any problems but just thought I would mention it.

@Term. I hear ya about the Nexus and the other things but I'm gonna leave it in. It's just Nightwolf.

I have this finished and I was going to upload it today after testing and then submit it to the server in a few days if no one else wanted to edit it but Carpe put Nightwolf on his pruning list and I honestly don't want to object. I think it may be good to let it go. I'll go ahead and upload my copy anyway. Just need to test it first.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:00 AM   #42
Binger

I need to test this some more before submitting it for the server. I also want to see if Nightwolf is even go to stay on the server.

Changes...

-Missing teleporter added by Anonymous.

-Teleporters added to third floor.

-Terrain tweaks. This was to align the terrain up correctly and get rid of some weird spots. I did NOT smooth out all of the places where the tanks get hung up. I'm working on that for another edit and when I finish it we can replace the terrain on Nightwolf with the other one but it's very time consuming to tweak the terrain and I'm not in any hurry.

-Goliath II replaces all Goliaths.

-Crusader (Paliden) at the core replaced with a Centaur.

-When they spun the bases around for this version they didn't line them up the same. This means that one core was easier to hit than the other and that always bothered me so even though it was a PITA I lined them up better. This might cause problems because of the whole moving additive brushes thing but I haven't noticed any invisible walls yet.

-Nexus tank in the middle now always spawns facing enemy side.

-Middle node labeled with "Never Shielded" because of the online bug with un-shielded nodes.

-You can now get under the buildings at the end of the canals by suggestion from Anonymous.

I might have made some other changes that I don't remember right now but I didn't do anything major. The more I looked at the map the more sloppy I realized the original Nightwolf edit was and the more I got tired of messing with it.

And Sumugan and McLovin, I appreciate your thanks. I don't want you to think they went unnoticed.

Last edited by Binger; 11-30-2016 at 12:38 AM.. Reason: Removed Link.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #43
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I put this on my server and redirect. If people want to test it there I can remove the passwords from the server for a night or two.

Andrew
Old 11-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #44
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I put this on my server and redirect. If people want to test it there I can remove the passwords from the server for a night or two.

Andrew
Awesome, Lag. Thank you. I need to make another edit though. I found a place where you can get behind the barricades. Not a big deal but I still want to fix it. Also I'm not sure I built this with the RGB lighting. I'll try to get it done tonight.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #45
Lagzilla
Getting there...

When you repost I will upload it. No problem.

Andrew
Old 11-30-2016, 12:37 AM   #46
Binger

The blocking volumes around the edge were a mess so I deleted them and added new ones. I had also forgotten to add a spawn effect for red team on the Nexus and Crusader in the middle. I rebuilt with RGB lighting (which I had forgotten to do with Beta6). A few other small tweaks. I tried taking the terrain I'm working on and replacing the one on Nightwolf with it but things weren't lining up right so I gave up on that. I want to be done with this so I tested it pretty well and submitted it for the server. Not sure if it's going to make it on since Nightwolf is on the list for pruning.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8s59ipj5k9...lf-V3.zip?dl=0
Old 11-30-2016, 02:25 AM   #47
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Updated and on the redirect.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:18 PM   #48
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Updated and on the redirect.
Cool Thanks.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:11 PM   #49
Binger

Carpe hasn't been around since Christmas so I asked analog to put V3 on the server and he was kind enough to do so. I hope Carpe's okay. That's kind of a long absence for him.

I've only played this a couple of times now with other people and one comment I heard was that the Goliath IIs were too much. I kind of agree. It makes it harder to fly around in the Hammerheads but before the Hammerheads were too easy to fly around in and would often nearly decide who won, so which is better? It seems like the timetokill/timetodie is lower and that can only be because of the Goliath IIs but that could have just been the couple of times I played.

The stock Goliaths in this map were almost useless and went mostly unused but now the Goliath IIs are too much. Where is the middle ground? No way I'm going to put the stock Goliaths back in the map. There are some maps where they are fine, like masterbath or TAL, but on a lot of maps they are just filler that almost never get used, which is just stupid. Think about this, if you don't want the Goliath IIs in a map because they are OP then how do you justify the other OP vehicles, the ones that made the stock Goliaths obsolete?

I don't know what to do except remove a few of them but what would replace them? I can use the Ultimate factory to spawn something else if a team takes a node on the other team's side of the map, but which ones and replace with what?

I think the problem with the Goliath IIs is that I made them as a replacement for the stock Goliaths and that's how people see them but they are actually just another OPV. They work okay in Nevermore but are almost OP in A-Junk. Honestly, to me they feel like a normal tank should, which is bad-ass. I mean it's a tank, it should be bad-ass. If you spawn at a node and see a tank and think "I don't want that" and then spawn away to another node then something is wrong there.

Another option would be to reduce the zoom back to normal on the Goliath IIs. I don't think this would help much, though. No way I'm going to reduce the accuracy because that was the whole point and afaik there is no other vehicle in the game that has that bad of accuracy. I mean this is supposed to be like hundreds of years from now, are we supposed to believe a tank would be that inaccurate? What about reducing it's turning speed on the main cannon turret?

I know these thoughts seem a little random but I'm really not sure what to think here so, ...

Any suggestions on the new Nightwolf?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #50
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Is it possible to reduce the re-fire time on Goliath II's like the Ballista?
Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM   #51
Enyo
Getting there...

I don't have a problem with the Goliath II on this map, just that there are too many of them. Seems like you can't turn a corner without encountering at least 2 of them. Yes, they do make the flyers a little less influential, but I think that's OK.

Possible solutions:
- I like KD's suggestion of slowing down their fire rate
- I also like your suggestion of slowing the turn speed on the cannon (maybe a combo of this and slower fire rate)
- Replace a couple of the Goliath II's with... not sure what. Maybe link tanks instead at nodes 4 and 7 (I think) so they can be used to help get 8 and/or 9 up, which are always under constant attack. Not sure if I got the node #s right, but I think you know what I'm getting at.
- Maybe a radical idea, but get rid of the mino (I already hear the crying), replace it with yet another Goliath II, or something else, and keep the rest as you have them. The map might be slightly overrun with Goliath II's, but at least you don't have to worry about the mino taking out your flyer in one shot.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #52
Binger

I think your point about there being too many is spot on, Enyo. I would rather reduce the numbers before nerfing that tank. Slowing the rate of fire is something I would really like to avoid, Doggie. I thought a lot about that when I was modding it and I wanted to keep the dps the same as the stock Goliath. I would much rather lower the turning speed of the cannon. Doing both and going too far with it would make it a much less powerful Ballista (but with more HP). Getting that balance right would be difficult. I also thought about lowering its AP per shot but again I wanted to keep its stock dps. I won't rule out anything and someone else could make those changes if I refuse but let's try to avoid lowering its dps. I don't want it to end up being something that people don't use again.

About the Mino, I was SO tempted to put the old one back in but can you imagine the bitching... I was also thinking of modifying it, starting with the old one. I don't like how long it takes to slow down. I realize it's supposed to be a heavy but it just seems a little excessive to me. The slow acceleration and turning rate is fine but the thing needs a brake job. Also, it could be scaled up a little in size.

Btw, I changed the node numbers back to the way they were in Rc-7. Here's a pic for reference and to help with vehicle suggestions...

Old 01-24-2017, 05:13 PM   #53
Terminator
Getting there...

The old Minotaur is actually the better one; little to no splash damage while still packing a punch @ 1450 dmg. It will still one a shot a node but no splash damage. Maybe replace the Minotaur with the Megabadger... it still packs a punch @ 1000 dmg (I think it's 1000) Those MKII's will be able to knock it around!
Old 01-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #54
dimshade
Getting there...

One possible solution is to put the regular goliaths back in places where they are used often, like the secondary where the cobra spawns.. A MkII could replace the goliath at base, and perhaps one of the PPCs.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:25 PM   #55
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I think your point about there being too many is spot on, Enyo. I would rather reduce the numbers before nerfing that tank. Slowing the rate of fire is something I would really like to avoid, Doggie. I thought a lot about that when I was modding it and I wanted to keep the dps the same as the stock Goliath. I would much rather lower the turning speed of the cannon. Doing both and going too far with it would make it a much less powerful Ballista (but with more HP). Getting that balance right would be difficult. I also thought about lowering its AP per shot but again I wanted to keep its stock dps. I won't rule out anything and someone else could make those changes if I refuse but let's try to avoid lowering its dps. I don't want it to end up being something that people don't use again.

About the Mino, I was SO tempted to put the old one back in but can you imagine the bitching... I was also thinking of modifying it, starting with the old one. I don't like how long it takes to slow down. I realize it's supposed to be a heavy but it just seems a little excessive to me. The slow acceleration and turning rate is fine but the thing needs a brake job. Also, it could be scaled up a little in size.

Btw, I changed the node numbers back to the way they were in Rc-7. Here's a pic for reference and to help with vehicle suggestions...

I don't think putting another version of the Mino in is a good idea. I've been trying for years to get all of the vehicles set to their latest versions.

If there are too many Goliath II's in the map, why not add more Cobras, Badgers, or maybe a Dragon? The Goliath II/Badger/Cobra is a nice balance, where the old Goliaths were mostly useless.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:17 PM   #56
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I don't think putting another version of the Mino in is a good idea. I've been trying for years to get all of the vehicles set to their latest versions.
Newer =/= better
Old 01-25-2017, 12:28 AM   #57
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Newer =/= better
Totally agree with this. Latest does not mean greatest. No reason, imo, to not have different versions of vehicles in different maps.

Imo, Nightwolf should stay as close as possible to its roots. Adding a Dragon would make it much different and there are enough Minus maps with Dragons. Even the Goliath IIs were a big change. So was swapping the old Mino for the new one and removing the second Hurricane from the core.

Cobras are something I was thinking about. They might be a good replacement. The two Goliaths at the center were originally Lobreakers so I think that would be a good place to start. I really wish there was a better small tank than the Lobreaker. I could tweak it but it's so damn ugly. I haven't worked on my tank model in a while but maybe I could make a small tank and use the Lobreaker code with some tweaks. Too bad there weren't more vehicle models made by the community back in the day. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I can get a decent new vehicle model into the game.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #58
dimshade
Getting there...

Cobras may work. IMO there are too many badgers already (14, no joke). Just to toss out some ideas, are any of the tanks from the D-Jay version of Battlefront worth looking at?
Old 01-25-2017, 11:40 AM   #59
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
are any of the tanks from the D-Jay version of Battlefront worth looking at?
Not really. An Alligator with lowered health might be interesting.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #60
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
The two Goliaths at the center were originally Lobreakers so I think that would be a good place to start. I really wish there was a better small tank than the Lobreaker. I could tweak it but it's so damn ugly. I haven't worked on my tank model in a while but maybe I could make a small tank and use the Lobreaker code with some tweaks.
I'd rather walk than get in a Lobreaker. Worst vehicle in the fleet...worthless. Takes three hits to kill a foot soldier.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught