Map Issues - Requires Maintenance For all your map issues

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance

Old 11-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Default Badger Bug

Gang,

Wormbo is going to have a look at the infamous "badger bug". You know, where you fall through the map
when leaving the vehicle.

Can a few of you provide specific details as to when and how it occurs please ?

thanks.

Old 11-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Binger

Someone said once that the vehicle exits are too low. Makes sense to me. Like you exit the vehicle with your feet under the terrain so you fall through. I've only ever seen it happen over terrain. It happens a lot on the one daytime version of Grit. I always try to exit the badger when it's going over a bump or in the air. Either that or wait for it to completely stop moving. It seems to happen less often then.

There is another bug with the Badger. Sometimes you can't exit from the gunner's seat. You have to change to the driver's seat first. If someone is in the driver's seat your stuck. I'm not sure but this may only happen when you enter the vehicle in the driver's seat then switch to gunner.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Yeah, if you exit from a moving badger over terrain, it sometimes dumps you under the terrain.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #4
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Consistent places for me have been exiting at the beginning nodes of Grit (the underground passage building, the side node with the shield), over at the corner tower ruins at Dria, and a few times on the first node near the core in the trench on any of the MTMU maps. I've gotten in the habit of hitting the spacebar when I exit out of a badger. I seem to have less falling through the map moments (or maybe I just think it does... my own little voodoo.)
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 11-25-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Wormbo
Wormlike

After a bit of PM ping pong with Turbo K, I realized that the Badger exit bug is a combination of unfortunate vehicle exit logic (Epic's fault) and the badger's unusual mesh. When a vehicle moves at over 100 UU/s (for reference: standard player movement speed is 400 UU/s), its predefined exit positions are ignored. Instead, two possible exit locations perpendicular to the movement direction are calculated relative to the vehicle's location, taking only the combined collision radii of the vehicle and the driver and the driver's collision height into account. That's not really a problem in most cases, but the Badger mesh's pivot point (i.e. what counts as location of the Badger) is exactly at ground level.
As a result, players exiting a moving badger will spawn exactly with their feed on the ground, assuming a perfectly level ground. The engine can adjust to small intersections between the exiting driver's collision and a slightly higher ground, but if that difference is more than about half the player's height, the adjustment may place the player below the ground instead. (This only really happens with terrain and static mesh sheets.)
All other vehicles have a much higher pivot point, so it is far less likely to ever become a problem for them.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

soooooo.... I'm getting that it's not fixable ??

Thanks for the info Worm, you're amazing.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
Danno'68
Some call me....Danno

Wouldn't this also be the cause when trying to hit a badger with an Avril? The Avril lock always has the missile going to the bottom of the vehicle.
This leads to a lot of avrils ending up short and hitting the ground first. If this could be fixed, then the badger might not be so overwhelming for
foot solders.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
Wormbo
Wormlike

There's always a way. I even already have an idea how to fix it.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

into Worbo's Slithereum Garages the Badger rolls, to come out the other side all snazzed and jazzed up !

Last edited by Carpe Diem; 11-27-2013 at 09:12 AM..
Old 11-27-2013, 01:55 AM   #10
Wormbo
Wormlike

The problem with the badger is not only the mesh, but also its many variants. For examples, I have a Badgers.u with the standard Badger and a standard Badger embedded in the FullLoadout map, and they are slightly different. Which one is the newer version? Also the loadout map contains two factories for a "MyBadger" - is that by accident or were these really two different Badgers before ending up in the same map, causing one of them to be overridden? The one that survived seems to be pretty much identical to a standard badger, except that bots prefer driving it alone.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Beth

Badgers are big bugs The hover badgers have way to powerful of a kickback. I've driven these and it just kicks you back about a mile as many times as you are shooting. Can this be fixed so it won't throw you back a half mile?

Old 11-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Danno'68
Some call me....Danno

Beth, would a quarter mile be acceptable?
Old 11-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

Yeah, I've found that it's because of the kickback that makes sure the hoverbadgers aren't too powerful. A good hoverbadger driver can compensate for the kickback, and that indeed is what keeps it from out-driving and out-shooting most of the other tanks it is able to face off with. If people are game for reducing it, that might be okay, but I'd be against removing it altogether. The one thing about the hoverbadgers, though, that does need to be fixed is whatever causes a single tank shot to the hoverbadger to instantly kill the driver and send the hoverbadger reeling across the map driver-less. No other vehicle does this, as far as I know, and it's pretty much solely because of this that I've given up on driving hoverbadgers around as actual tank weapons.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:08 PM   #14
Wormbo
Wormlike

I think the Hoverbadger works very much like the Manta. If you want, I will apply some hovertank magic to it, without taking too much of its current feel, of course.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:49 PM   #15
dimshade
Getting there...

Hover badgers can be deadly if used correctly. If upgrades are made I would suggest lowering it's overall life (currently 400).
Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #16
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
The problem with the badger is not only the mesh, but also its many variants. For examples, I have a Badgers.u with the standard Badger and a standard Badger embedded in the FullLoadout map, and they are slightly different. Which one is the newer version? Also the loadout map contains two factories for a "MyBadger" - is that by accident or were these really two different Badgers before ending up in the same map, causing one of them to be overridden? The one that survived seems to be pretty much identical to a standard badger, except that bots prefer driving it alone.
Have you made any progress lately?

About the multiple Badger factories, I would just use the one on Desert Junkyard. That map has the latest versions of all the vehicles and is usually where I pull them from to place on other maps.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #17
Wormbo
Wormlike

Thanks. Standard "Badger Mk.II" and "Hoverbadger Mk.II" should be almost done, but getting the "Megabadger Mk.II" right (i.e. it should handle a bit more like the Minotaur) isn't quite as easy. I wanted to include those two additional Badger variants because they are more different than all the others.

BTW: Did anyone else ever wonder how two people could fit into that small thing, along with an engine and ammo? I mean it's hardly larger than a Manta's cockpit.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #18
Binger

Quote:
Thanks. Standard "Badger Mk.II" and "Hoverbadger Mk.II" should be almost done, but getting the "Megabadger Mk.II" right (i.e. it should handle a bit more like the Minotaur) isn't quite as easy. I wanted to include those two additional Badger variants because they are more different than all the others.

BTW: Did anyone else ever wonder how two people could fit into that small thing, along with an engine and ammo? I mean it's hardly larger than a Manta's cockpit.
Don't fart.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:34 AM   #19
Wormbo
Wormlike

Ah, found the knob to turn on the Megabadger to adjust its speed up/slow down rate. Here's a first beta version of those three updated vehicles:
Badgers V2 beta 1

Like the Dragon update, this one contains a mutator to upgrade existing Badgers, Hoverbadgers and Megabadgers for testing purposes. Summon codes are BadgersV2beta1.Badger, BadgersV2beta1.Hoverbadger, and BadgersV2beta1.Badgertaur.

Listing changes is a bit difficult. I've raised the pivot of the badger model a bit so it's inside the chassis now. That fixes quite a few problems already, for example clipped shadows, entry problems for the Megabadger (it no longer needs a separate use trigger), and weird rotation behavior.
Also I rebuilt the Hoverbadger using parts of its original code and parts of my Hovertank code. It is a bit heavier now and isn't pushed around by damage as much anymore. (That was far too much, compared to other Badgers.) One of its new features is floating - like the Hovertanks, the Hoverbadger will float on water if unoccupied and only slowly takes water damage.
The Megabadger received as big treatment as well. For example its handling works much more like that of the Minotaur. It takes more time to get up to speed or slow down. I've exchanged the two seats so the gunner controls the cannon, just like in other Badgers. It fires only one projectile (Minotaur:3, old Megabadger: 2), but with adjusted damage amount and radius. Instead of the Minotaur-style laser turret, the driver controls a Minigun with explosive munition.

Last edited by Wormbo; 01-23-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Old 01-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #20
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
It's bigger on the inside.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance