Map Issues - Requires Maintenance For all your map issues

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance

Old 11-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Xexx
Just Registered

Default Battlefront needs to be edited/removed

Some regulars keep exploiting the barriers that are supposed to keep the tanks out of the two choke nodes (6 and 3)

Clearly the only purpose of the poles in front of the entrance is to keep tanks and hellbenders out of the node tunnels, but if you drive on top of the tunnel entrance you can fall down behind the barriers and get a tank inside the tunnels. This map is already a slow snooze fest that always results in long drawn out of time wins with these 2 choke nodes, any competent team that can keep the ion down is going to be able to heal the tank there making it impossible to get the node.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #2
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Thanks Xexx. Should be a simple fix for one of the mapping types.

Old 11-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #3
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
Some regulars keep exploiting the barriers that are supposed to keep the tanks out of the two choke nodes (6 and 3)

Clearly the only purpose of the poles in front of the entrance is to keep tanks and hellbenders out of the node tunnels, but if you drive on top of the tunnel entrance you can fall down behind the barriers and get a tank inside the tunnels. This map is already a slow snooze fest that always results in long drawn out of time wins with these 2 choke nodes, any competent team that can keep the ion down is going to be able to heal the tank there making it impossible to get the node.
This. This is the reason I don't play that map anymore. As much as classic players like hardspike like it, this one aspect literally makes the map an infinite war of attrition. Anyone who knows what they're doing in the tank makes this a completely impossible strategy to fight against.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Xexx
Just Registered

I do think the manta should be able to get in the tunnel however. Maybe just putting a barrier on top of the tunnel would do. Might could cut down on the slowness of the map by adding an open access hatch above as well...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

If my memory serves me correctly, a manta should be able to get in fairly easily already; you just have to hop up and down at the right time. At least, that's how it is on OmahaBeach.

Maybe moving the barriers or extending the opening so that the barriers are beneath the opening instead of them being in front of it, so when you drive off there's nothing to catch the tank on and then reverse into the bunker.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Xexx
Just Registered

I went ahead and edited the map myself. I moved the posts in, and added sand bags above the entrance. Everything else should be the same. When I saved it, I got messages that nirvana.usx and AW-2004Crystals.usx were changed... I don't know enough about unrealed to know why they were changed, but I included them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps7ewpg7th...t-sandbags.rar

Might want to rename it to whatever, I don't care, just wanted to avoid CRC/matching errors.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Xexx,

Read this thread and submit to TheWreckingCrew.

Sorry, but want to ensure the map runs properly and no "hidden" problems crop up.

protocols man.. protocols...

Old 11-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Xexx
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Xexx,

Read this thread and submit to TheWreckingCrew.

Sorry, but want to ensure the map runs properly and no "hidden" problems crop up.

protocols man.. protocols...
No problem, doesn't really matter to me if it's just an example or not. It's been years since I mapped but it's simple stuff to duplicate some bags and move posts. Moving the posts in still allowed the tanks to hang on them some but I don't think they could get back in there, so the sandbags are probably a good idea.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
No problem, doesn't really matter to me if it's just an example or not. It's been years since I mapped but it's simple stuff to duplicate some bags and move posts. Moving the posts in still allowed the tanks to hang on them some but I don't think they could get back in there, so the sandbags are probably a good idea.
Can the Manta's still get in there ?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Turbo K
Community Veteran

I can fix Xexx's issue on this map after I get the crash map finished.

Is there anything else that needs to be edited besides the bunkers? There were people complaining in-game about there not
begin enough weapons in the lockers.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
WMD40
Getting there...

Quote:
I went ahead and edited the map myself. I moved the posts in, and added sand bags above the entrance. Everything else should be the same. When I saved it, I got messages that nirvana.usx and AW-2004Crystals.usx were changed... I don't know enough about unrealed to know why they were changed, but I included them:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ps7ewpg7th...t-sandbags.rar

Might want to rename it to whatever, I don't care, just wanted to avoid CRC/matching errors.
The map will run with the older versions of AW-2004Crystals.usx (d0baf539820ccf2a2ac1b335ca413d0e) and nirvana.usx (9ebfff0f2a3ac53b8ce310f11a1d9aff), but the newer versions of AW-2004Crystals.usx (f11134e02280630506caa1cfd429e5ff) and nirvana.usx (0740250436fcc254ecb2dcea0e58e1de) would not be uploaded to the game server due to probable dependency mismatch issues for other maps.

After looking at the map, the alterations within ONS-Battlefront-sandbags however do continue to allow a player to access the inside of the bunker nodes with a tank. (Nice touch with the sandbags though.) The use of a vehicle blocking volume would be recommended, as I believe was implemented with some of the other later Battlefront alterations.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
Xexx
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD40 View Post
After looking at the map, the alterations within ONS-Battlefront-sandbags however do continue to allow a player to access the inside of the bunker nodes with a tank. (Nice touch with the sandbags though.) The use of a vehicle blocking volume would be recommended, as I believe was implemented with some of the other later Battlefront alterations.

You can still get in there with a tank? Fricken how? lol

Guess that definitely calls for a vehicle blocking volume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I can fix Xexx's issue on this map after I get the crash map finished.

Is there anything else that needs to be edited besides the bunkers? There were people complaining in-game about there not
begin enough weapons in the lockers.
If you're taking requests... more weapons and get rid of the Ion strike for flying too high (or increase it to 10 or something)

Less minefields would probably save a ton of newbies too, but whatever.

Last edited by Xexx; 11-09-2013 at 10:24 PM..
Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #13
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD40 View Post
The use of a vehicle blocking volume would be recommended, as I believe was implemented with some of the other later Battlefront alterations.
preventing Manta's from getting in would be sad. from a nostalgic point of view anyway.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
Binger

Quote:
preventing Manta's from getting in would be sad. from a nostalgic point of view anyway.
Agreed. There's got to be another way of keeping just the tanks out. How about a fence up above the opening? I haven't looked at what Xexx did but it sounds like that was the idea with the sandbags till WMD worked his wrecking magic.

I think the weapons lockers could definitely use a boost but not much LG or Sniper, especially near the middle. Lots of Link gun. I would like to see this map get a couple of more Goliaths. Minos and Wasps and crap like that would ruin it. A SPMA would be interesting.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Wormbo
Wormlike

Blocking volumes (or ForcedDirVolumes) can be restricted to only affect a limited number of classes. You could block wheeled vehicles and tanks, but let through hovering and flying vehicles. (Obvioiusly that would have to be expanded to hover tanks, if anyone decided to put them in as well, but they all share a common base class.)
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #16
WMD40
Getting there...

Quote:
The implementation would be similar to ONS-Urban-NoLevi with its center node, but specifically more to as Wormbo had explained.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #17
dimshade
Getting there...

Wasn't there an edit for Battlefront before? I seem to remember a different node layout and vehicles (particularly a SPMA) that someone, DJ maybe, had put in. I think Battlefront could be a really fun map, but in it's current version it's just a stalemate as was mentioned.

If you really want to piss some DMers off, someone could make a TMU version.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #18
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
Wasn't there an edit for Battlefront before? I seem to remember a different node layout and vehicles (particularly a SPMA) that someone, DJ maybe, had put in. I think Battlefront could be a really fun map, but in it's current version it's just a stalemate as was mentioned.

There was Battlefront-Djay-t-FutureCombat, which had a bunch of Omni vehicles.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
D_B_X
For Victory - 1 & 2 Dria!

Quote:
I miss this edit. It also had vehicles from Command & Conquer (Medium/Mammoth Tanks, Artillery) as well as that Nuclear Strike Painter I've seen mentioned on another thread. Ever since it was taken off I never did regular Battlefront as much. Would it be too much to ask to possibly re-instate it as a fix to this issue? I don't think any tanks ever snuck in to those tunnel nodes on that edit.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post

Quote:
There are currently 4x variations in my "out of cycle" folder on the server.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance