Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-17-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
Wormbo
Wormlike

I think the voice chatter exploit doesn't actually require a connection. UT uses UDP, i.e. a connectionless protocol. The "connection" is established on the application level, but the voice chatter exploit just sends a UDP packet to the game server without establishing a player connection first.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #42
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

5th round of randomizer, shit map, 8:24 est
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #43
Turbo K
Community Veteran

12:37AM EST on 11/21. It was the end of the first round of Dreamus2E
Old 11-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #44
laboRHEinz
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Yes we did. However, Heinz changed his story shortly after when we (and by we, I mean Analog) couldn't
get it working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboRHEinz
I've been checking out several binaries on my test rig over last weekend, not only the both I've sent you, trying many different ini-settings as well. Unfortunately though, I still wasn't able to get any of the patched versions working combined with voice chat. Thus, I'm less and less convinced now it's ever been any issue of your settings, I rather think now that you were right all the time. Somehow I probably mixed up the chain of events on my server i.e. the order of using a patched binary and functional voice chat. If that's really the case, I'm terribly sorry then for kinda loudmouthing and possibly having watered your mouths. My apologies.
As for the fix, I'm suspecting there isn't one. Prior to moving the server I spent a month trying to locate
a binary that specifically addressed this issue. Any that we found didn't work. So this is our second kick
at the can, and when Heinz said he had it working... there was joy. Then when we couldn't get it working,
he posted his "ha ha ha... made you look" thing (above). for this, I have banned him.

Of course I'm kidding, I extend the communities thanks to Heinz for all the help/work he put into our attempted
excommunication of the vile Voice_Max_Chatters bug. I'm not sure where we go from here; right now it's
either live with these crashes or disable voice chat on the server
mmhhmm... well yeah, mea culpa, sorry again. To let me look less like what I am (a moron, obviously), here's another slice of my PM (posted also because it might help finding the assistance I'm looking for):
Quote:
[...]However, this is not the end of the road as for running an invulnerable server with voice chat enabled. There seems to be another way, namely by using iptables, as FuzzySlippers already proposed. Point is, the voice max chatters crash is not caused by DoS-attacks, [..] this kind of crash attack in fact is performed by only one single intentionally malformed packet. [removed hacker name] once published a proof of concept while also providing a simple script / executable to the public. I've upped it for you:
[link & instructions removed]
As simple as that, it's only one damn packet causing the server to crash. On the other hand, exactly this simplicity also is the chance to defend it, you'd 'just' have to set your firewall accordingly. Now, I've put 'just' in quotation marks by intention, because this is exactly what took me so long to reply here: I've been trying to set up iptables accordingly on my test server throughout the last damn whole weekend, but I didn't manage to... grrrmpff. All I got was this stupid "iptables: No chain/target/match by that name." message over and over again, no matter what I did. I've searched countless forums and even recompiled my kernel several times, but still. Actually, the command should be:
Code:
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 7777 -m length --length 40 -m string --hex-string '|000001082000|' --algo bm --from 27 --to 33 -j DROP
but my box (Ubuntu server 12.04 LTS) just wouldn't want to accept it.[...]
I'm still on this iptables track, I've even asked some of my colleagues (literally Linux pros) but they couldn't help out either. Perhaps anyone out there reading this could help getting this rule working?

Not sure whether length and string checking of each UDP-packet would lead to performance problems but it's at least worth a try. And performance issues could be avoided by a stateful firewall.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #45
dimshade
Getting there...

22-Nov at 2137 on 4th round of Dria TMU.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
-Goose-
Getting there...

Quote:
sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 7777 -m length --length 40 -m string --hex-string '|000001082000|' --algo bm --from 27 --to 33 -j DROP
I tried this on Ubuntu 13.10 and it applied the rule just fine... (iptables version 1.4.18)

You might try creating a new chain and applying the rule to that.

EDIT: Also might want to check the chain is not lower case? sudo iptables -L -v
Old 11-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #47
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Quote:

I tried this on Ubuntu 13.10 and it applied the rule just fine... (iptables version 1.4.18)

I don't know what's going on here, but I like the sound of where it might go...

<-- nothing to do with post, just 'cuz...

Old 11-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #48
dimshade
Getting there...

Not sure if crash, but I cannot see the ONS or AS server.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #49
mistertropical
Just Registered

Where's the onslaught server????? :x
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #50
mistertropical
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
Not sure if crash, but I cannot see the ONS or AS server.
your sig is my brother's favorite quote lol

freakin weirdos
Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #51
analog
Community Veteran

Rule added, let us know if you see any difference.

Quote:

Old 11-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #52
WMD40
Got there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertropical View Post
Where's the onslaught server????? :x
Probably hiding behind a firewall.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #53
WMD40
Got there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
Rule added, let us know if you see any difference.
-Players couldn't connect to the game server from the game.
-Game server advertising was still functioning, showing 22/32 player count.
-Gametracker update stalled beyond 22 minutes, last indicating a MMMU game run.
-Trace route could reach the game server.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #54
laboRHEinz
Just Registered

Quote:

Thanks a lot, sounds promising, gonna check it out tomorrow on my test server (even if it means having to freshly install the next Linux version ((super barf...))). I didn't expect any version conflicts since this rule / option was out already several years ago.

analog, you're probably a bit overhasty: your server seems to run on port 9000, thus, the option '--dport 7777' is wrong. --dport means destination port, so, if you really want to apply this firewall rule prior to any checking, you should type:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 9000 -m length --length 40 -m string --hex-string '|000001082000|' --algo bm --from 27 --to 33 -j DROP

However, I wouldn't recommend applying any untested commands or iptables rules. Firewalls always are a bit headstrong.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #55
analog
Community Veteran

I added it as 9000 and another for 8500 for the AS server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboRHEinz View Post
Thanks a lot, sounds promising, gonna check it out tomorrow on my test server (even if it means having to freshly install the next Linux version ((super barf...))). I didn't expect any version conflicts since this rule / option was out already several years ago.

analog, you're probably a bit overhasty: your server seems to run on port 9000, thus, the option '--dport 7777' is wrong. --dport means destination port, so, if you really want to apply this firewall rule prior to any checking, you should type:

sudo iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 9000 -m length --length 40 -m string --hex-string '|000001082000|' --algo bm --from 27 --to 33 -j DROP

However, I wouldn't recommend applying any untested commands or iptables rules. Firewalls always are a bit headstrong.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #56
Egg of Loon
aka:Makeen DeSilva

Server crashed today 2:37 cst playing Magicisle.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #57
Pi

'log: server not responding to ssh

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 11-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #58
analog
Community Veteran

Yes, we had some issues today, sorry... Kernel update and firewall update and everything should be back now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
'log: server not responding to ssh
Old 11-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #59
laboRHEinz
Just Registered

k, upgrading my test box from 12.04 to 12.10 did the trick, it now eats the rule (I'm gonna kill my so-called linux-pro colleagues tomorrow...). Hence I was finally able to check it, with a slight modification though: I used the -I option (for insert I guess) to place the rule in the first line instead of -A which adds it at the end of the rules list (possibly important, depending on your iptables set up).

At first, I used a vulnerable binary without this rule -> ran the hacker script -> server crashed.

Rule applied -> hacker script -> server didn't crash anymore, script returned just a timeout.

Voice chat was working (this time really ), no noticeable packetloss, server appeared in server browser as normal.

Thus, in fact, it should work as intended, unless there's another modification of this malformed packet. Therefore, it might be not a bad idea to remove the exact command from our former posts? You never know if there's a script kiddie with too much time out there, too much insight posted in public could backfire then.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #60
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Just crashed 11:32 est after playing desert junkyard, magicisle won the vote and we got evo v14

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught