Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Default Server Administrators

Some recent, and some not-so-recent events have prompted this announcement. Some of you will immediately think 'this is about me', and it is since you're here and part of the community, but it's not directed at anyone in particular. Yes, Gonzo & Lagzilla posted concern about some recent events and I too can connect the dots too and see that those events were directly related to this- but I'll say it again, this post is not directed at only them, their candor and concern is much appreciated.

Server Admins are NOT your own personal nannies here to respond to YOUR wants and perceived needs. They don't get paid by the hour and don't get anything-at-all to solve problems, but they still do. By all means bring stuff to their attention. Then let them handle it. Just because they are not instantaneously booting Player X (who you're almost absolutely probably most likey sure has stolen your pens) does not mean they are blowing you off. As an admin, typing 'kick PlayerX' takes about 5 seconds, ensuring that it's the right thing to do takes time, effort, and judgement. We carefully select admins based on their online history, compassion, and intelligence and everyone expects them to act in the best interest of the server. Don't start throwing childish temper tantrums (even if you ARE a child) while in game. This shows zero respect for their position. If something doesn't go the way you want/expect during a match, use the forums- it's what it is here for.

You DON'T have to like an Admin. You DO have to show respect to them. I'm going to repeat myself. You DON'T have to like an Admin. You DO have to show respect to them. No, it's not a power trip.

If you have a beef with an admin then use the PM portion of the forums. The most recent additions to our staff are all swell guys, they're genuinely concerned about you all. They have no problem talking things over offline and what you may perceive as a slight is probably just a misunderstanding. Additionally Pi, Analog and myself are always available in PM's to all of you if needed, but first consider talking things out one-on-one, you'd probably be surprised how much adminX was doing at the time you were asking for something.

The one thing that won't be tolerated is getting into a pissing match in-game with an admin. They're volunteers who would rather play than argue. They're level-headed and do their best to sort out actual issues. Keep IN-GAME admin-related communication on-topic; calling them a scumbag for running over you in a manta, fine; calling them a scumbag for trying to administer the server and not jiving with your idea of fair, likely to get you a kick or worse. So far they've gone above-and-beyond the call by NOT kicking people who get in their face, this is not required or appreciated by the more ass-headed of us (*cough* Pi *cough*) and the admins have been told as much. I expect they won't be tolerating many more in-game rebukes from players.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
GlueEater
Getting there...

Default Time for a nap

Way back at the beginning of January I got on for a couple rounds one night. I had already been slowly losing interest in playing, partly because of what I call "groundhog day syndrome" with UT and partly because of the increase in negative attitudes. These two problems are closely related. Night after night I see the same people playing the same maps and doing the same things, which I honestly believe leads to alot of discord. Bitching erupts when Robert's on the wall in tyrant with the SSR, California stands back and never touches a node because all he wants to do is frag, and the same people *cough* 40 *cough* keep hogging the mino. See where I'm going here?
The game has also decayed to the point where you can pretty much tell what teams gonna win. Yet another problem with the same people on every night. I don't want to piss anyone off but there are many regulars that just plain suck, so some guys tank games intentionally to get matches over with. If you have enough players of low ability on your team, just goof around, don't even try and the match will be over sooner. Of course the bitching will begin momentarily. Especially when hardly anyone touches the primaries. Again, more negativity.
I'm not sure what many of you expect anymore. This game is old and should have died years ago. Clamoring for map improvements is pointless. There's hardly anyone around to do this. Spending all your time thinking of ways to improve omni is a waste of time. Pegasus you really need something else to do.
Carpe, the negative comments directed at admins or other players in general are from YEARS of built up frustration. The best way to address this is for the offenders to realize when its time to walk away and go play something else for a while. If they can't do that then admins need to do it for them.
Kind of reminds me when lil' glue would get fussy and and I'd tell her she needed a nap. She'd cry even worse until she fell asleep. Two hours later she'd wake up happy and cooperative again.

Again. Don't hesitate to put hateful players down for a nap (ban) even if they think they don't need one.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #3
<LBG>LooseCannon
Let the hate flow . . .

Kudos to Killerdoggie for dealing with a shitwit last night. Dropping out to contend with the issue cost his team the match, and eventually the game, but he stepped up and dropped the hammer.

Salute.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #4
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Old 05-30-2015, 12:07 AM   #5
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDoggie View Post
3 years ago?

Andrew
Old 05-30-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

I'm really really slow!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:51 AM   #7
Terminator
Getting there...

Big thanks to Flounder and McGimpkins for the work that they do! KillerD can get a thanks every 3 years! <3 u KillerD
Old 05-30-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

I'm used to thanklessness. Don't start spoiling me.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #9
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I, for one, love the patience and dedicatedness these administrators exhibit. I wish you all the best, and please remember, even the silent ones, perhaps, like myself, actually do respect you.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #10
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I, for one, love the patience and dedicatedness these administrators exhibit. I wish you all the best, and please remember, even the silent ones, perhaps, like myself, actually do respect you.
*like*

Old 04-25-2016, 08:17 AM   #11
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
*like*
I take that to mean poor grammar.

I apologize.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-28-2016, 08:47 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I take that to mean poor grammar.

I apologize.
no no no. It was a facebook reference. I liked your post.

Old 04-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #13
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
no no no. It was a facebook reference. I liked your post.
OMNI needs more server administrators... I've talked with Pooty and JohnSmallBerries and they seem interested.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
OMNI needs more server administrators... I've talked with Pooty and JohnSmallBerries and they seem interested.
That's nice.

The admins choose new admins, it's not a volunteer from the player base.

And yes, we're aware. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #15
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
That's nice.

The admins choose new admins, it's not a volunteer from the player base.

And yes, we're aware. Thanks.
I expected this response...
Old 05-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #16
duh
www.gotse.cx

Mucho thanks to flounder for keeping an eye on tonight's game. Core spammers are annoying and flounder helped us out. I'm sure he'd rather be playing than baby-sitting and I really appreciate the work you admins do for us.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #17
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
Mucho thanks to flounder for keeping an eye on tonight's game. Core spammers are annoying and flounder helped us out. I'm sure he'd rather be playing than baby-sitting and I really appreciate the work you admins do for us.
You're welcome.
That player's actions have been noted in the appropriate admin forum.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #18
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
Flounder is a great admin and I have much respect for him. I appreciate the hard work that he puts in. McGimpkins is also a great admin. We communicate outside of UT and he is a very easy going individual who has helped me tremendously. I also appreciate the hard work that he puts in. WMD40 shouldn't go un-noticed. Thanks for testing and approving maps that TK, Lagzilla and Binger edit. Thanks for putting up with my Tiamat/Leviathan fetishes. Thanks to Hardspike as well for putting up with my garbage! He lets me change my name to Softspike.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #19
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
I expected this response...
And I didn't expect this response from you. Especially considering our long friendship.

Disappointing.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #20
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
And I didn't expect this response from you. Especially considering our long friendship.

Disappointing.
Wow. All I said was that OMNI needs more server administrators, I'm not the only one who has mentioned that. I also gave a recommendation of two players that are held in high respect by the community, because I play there and I see the respect they have for the server and the game... Sorry for trying to help.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught