Assault Assault Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault

Old 04-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Coyote
Community Veteran

Wow. I thought I felt a disturbance in the force.

I haven't checked these forums for a while and when I finally get an odd urge to do so, I find the AS server is coming back? Good vibes, folks. Good vibes.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #22
Skytech13
UT2K4 Junkie

Need to get more people to go to AS server. Most always empty when i look for it. I used to frequent the server long ago, was my favorite place to go, long before i joined a clan or even knew what other game types there were for UT. Hope it gets popular again.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #23
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytech13 View Post
Hope it gets popular again.
So do we! Come join us Friday at 8pm eastern. Hopefully we can get all those AS people to come out of the woodwork to play a few rounds.

ST
Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #24
Coyote
Community Veteran

It might start out slow but as long as you have a handful of people playing I'm sure others will join up. See if you can keep it going for a few hours. I'll try to stop by around 11:00 or so.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #25
Binerexis
Pi Lover/Hater

I saw that it was back up a while ago but I thought it was a false server so steered clear....
Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 AM   #26
Scrode
Just Registered

For the first time in almost two years I fired up ut2k4 to find my favorite server has returned

I had to create an account just to say thank you, so many good memories on the )o( assault server.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:29 PM   #27
AlcaPWN
Just Registered

UT2k4 yay

yay for vets who have given their lives, kidz, and wives up to this game so that we all have someone to pwn!

steel sharpens steel

n00bs pay tribute
Old 09-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #28
Sabel
Cookie master!!!

i miss assualt lol i used to love playin it. sad its so empty now... but other then plannin play dates.... i dont think we can get it back up to how it used to be... full all the time and fightin' to get in

sig by Necro
" to the world you may just be one person, But to one life you may be the world "

Chairs...Cabinets...Door frames....walls... All things i have/will bump into (i'm also great at dropping things!)
Send a message via AIM to Sabel Send a message via MSN to Sabel Sabel is offline  
Old 01-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #29
HyperViolet
Just Registered

I'm glad to see the server is still up and running. However I'm sad to see so many people have left, and it's hard to find anyone on it. I used to wake up every morning and see people like syphilis dominating everything, then go to bed dreaming of the wacky Mario-esque map.

For what it's worth, this server made UT2k4 worthwhile and was easily my favorite experience in 20 years of gaming. I hope it catches on again at some point, and that I'm still around to enjoy it with everyone. I'll be checking back periodically to see if there are any new play dates setup, because I'd join in a heartbeat.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #30
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperViolet View Post
For what it's worth, this server made UT2k4 worthwhile and was easily my favorite experience in 20 years of gaming. I hope it catches on again at some point, and that I'm still around to enjoy it with everyone. I'll be checking back periodically to see if there are any new play dates setup, because I'd join in a heartbeat.
Try ONS ?

or Freon ?

Still some decent servers/people playing... a lot of the old guard who will play UT2K4 until the last spadeful
of dirt is shoveled on top of her.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #31
HyperViolet
Just Registered

I'll most likely play ONS. It's just Assault was my favorite mode and had the funnest/most creative maps.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #32
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Try ONS ?

or Freon ?

Still some decent servers/people playing... a lot of the old guard who will play UT2K4 until the last spadeful
of dirt is shoveled on top of her.
You insensitive clod. For AS players (the true ut2004 players), ONS or freon will never be a substitute...
Old 01-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #33
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
You insensitive clod. For AS players (the true ut2004 players), ONS or freon will never be a substitute...

Which is why it died an inglorious death and now inhabits the dark, dank dungeons of the remaining UT community ??

so...

Old 01-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #34
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Quote:
Which is why it died an inglorious death and now inhabits the dark, dank dungeons of the remaining UT community ??
The majority of people prefer inferior products, just turn on your TV.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 AM   #35
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Quentin Pollard View Post
The majority of people prefer inferior products, just turn on your TV.
Don't really understand what you mean here, I can infer some things I suppose. Either way, it is my opinion that
your simile is not an accurate one. Besides, aren't you playing L4D now anyway ? I consider that "inferior", however,
just because I do does not mean it is. However, it is my opinion.... the kiddie gamers seem to like it though. Assault
was popular long before Onslaught and ran its course; because ONS started later (in the Omni world anyway) it was
still very popular when the UT3 debacle reared it's head so it became one of the final bastions of UT2K4.

However, I know you like to belittle and slight anyone that doesn't agree*gasp* or step into line with your views and
thoughts so... rage on. An opinion is merely one persons perspective.

*pats little Rupey on the head*

live long and prosper,

peace brotha...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:29 AM   #36
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Don't really understand what you mean here, I can infer some things I suppose. Either way, it is my opinion that
your simile is not an accurate one. Besides, aren't you playing L4D now anyway ? I consider that "inferior", however,
just because I do does not mean it is. However, it is my opinion.... the kiddie gamers seem to like it though. Assault
was popular long before Onslaught and ran its course; because ONS started later (in the Omni world anyway) it was
still very popular when the UT3 debacle reared it's head so it became one of the final bastions of UT2K4.

However, I know you like to belittle and slight anyone that doesn't agree*gasp* or step into line with your views and
thoughts so... rage on. An opinion is merely one persons perspective.

*pats little Rupey on the head*

live long and prosper,

peace brotha...
Sure, ONS is still popular. But it's not UT2004 any more. When I first played UT2004, there were only a few vehicles. On the heavy side, there was a Goliath, which was really cool and could do lots of damage. Then, there was the Paladin, which had a gun and a big shield, which was really cool. For when you wanted to do a lot of damage at once, there was the ion tank, but the trade-off was that it was a little bit more vulnerable and took longer to fire. Then there was this big, crazy Leviathan that had a huge gun, but was vulnerable to the Raptor and Manta.

Now, we have tanks that shoot fire, goo, rounds that do a thousand damage, rapid-fire rounds, lasers, redeemers, and anti-air missiles. We have mini-tanks that can't be hit with an AVRiL. We have something like a Paladin, but faster. We have something like a Leviathan, but with way more armor and heavier weapons. We have different fliers that are almost all faster, certainly all more powerful. People complain when there are regular, "slow" scorpions. Maps are then made to be ten times bigger to compensate for the fast vehicle. The fact is that there is now a glut of stupidly overpowered, fast vehicles, and it's impossible to get very far on foot, which means you may as well just spawn in a damn tank. There's something new and shiny to play with, and your aim doesn't matter because the supertank deals a bajillion splash damage. This, of course, gives rise to the belief that ONS is about the stupid vehicles, which is why people bitch and moan every time a map like Bitchslap makes them have to actually shoot things with the weapons that the game came with.

I still play ONS a lot because it's a reminder of what once was, and because I'm frankly pretty pathetic when it comes to my spare time these days, but it is NOT the same game any more. We had a couple of maps that were full of overpowered crap in AS (I'm thinking Levellerrace). They were hated by a pretty sizable portion of the players.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:03 AM   #37
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Quote:
so... rage on
This was delicious, don't take things (especially from me) too seriously.
Quote:
People complain when there are regular, "slow" scorpions. Maps are then made to be ten times bigger to compensate for the fast vehicle. The fact is that there is now a glut of stupidly overpowered, fast vehicles, and it's impossible to get very far on foot, which means you may as well just spawn in a damn tank.
Weren't you responsible for a version of Trek that incorporated a bunch of that trash?
Old 01-28-2010, 07:38 AM   #38
MutantPilgrim
Community Veteran

Quote:
Hi Steve,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picard-finger.jpg (10.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 01-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #39
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

@ Stevie

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Because I was so heavily involved with ONS in those metamorphic years
I suppose I embraced those changes but still, ONS in its purest form was the basic vehicle set that allowed
the trench warfare to still matter. I played a lot of ONS that way and still have fond memories of it, hell, I can
remember the days when people "hogged" the Goliath.

And now, the proverbial shoe is on the other foot for me I guess. I'm not active in ONS so I see the continued
changes/growth as evil.

But you're right...

@Rupe

I know man. That was merely my attempt (albeit pathetic) to spar wit' you. Somehow it didn't come off quite
right in the forum atmosphere, if we were sitting at a table swilling beer (or other spirits) it would have worked
much better.

*dang*

p.s.

I never got to play Assault, at the time I began in here (Omni) I was infatuated with ONS and didn't play anything
else. By the time I decided to try AS, it was already mostly dead. From everything you guys say (and others), I
know I missed out.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #40
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Quote:
@Rupe

I know man. That was merely my attempt (albeit pathetic) to spar wit' you. Somehow it didn't come off quite
right in the forum atmosphere, if we were sitting at a table swilling beer (or other spirits) it would have worked
much better.
More vitriol.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault