Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #81
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie


 
KillerDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: San Diego, Ca
Posts: 419
Default
Reply With Quote


Ha, Goose just wants to DM because he's awesome at it. An OP vehicle levels the playing field if your a crappy shot with the shock rifle like I am.
__________________
Freakin' bots!
KillerDoggie is offline  
Old 04-14-2017, 04:01 PM   #82
McGimpkins


 
McGimpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Post apocalyptic wastelands
Posts: 533
Default
Reply With Quote


I came down a little hard on Binger and owe him an apology. I really do like playing with him and find that I routinely agree with him in game, however I disagree with him on the Roger topic.

So on to the lengthy Roger topic that appears to be on the strange Paracelsus thread that for some reason is on the Onslaught Forums and not under Report a Chode:

I want to establish this first, there is a consensus that UT is a game right? I mean I realize that some people view UT as an extension of their self-worth, however I want to establish the "game" status of UT. Like all games there are rules, correct? I cannot think of a single game that does not have some variation of rules involved. Hell, even warfare, which supposedly does not have rules, has rules (see: Geneva_Convention).

That all being said, I will be the first to admit in various circumstances that there can be a strategic advantage to base camping, or spamming empty vehicles. In the same way in Freon that there is a strategic advantage to shield gunning a frozen guy/girl off a cliff or stuffing him/her into a compactor. Valid strategy but pull it several times on Carpe and he'll get pissed call you a dick and ban you.

Hell, in Boxing why can I not give my opponent a nut shot or bite his ear off like Tyson did? I mean, I want to win so, valid strategy right? Why have off-sides in soccer, high sticking or icing in hockey, 3 second rules or the any number of fouls in basketball, passing interference in football. I want to drop an elbow on the QB that is already on the ground and shatter his femur, so he is not able to play the rest of the game, valid strategy. I was given a bat and decided to rush the pitchers mound to give him a concussion, instead of hit the ball, seem valid.

These are all examples of rules that are in place to make the games we play fun and competitive. People should be able to join Omni and play a game without being held as the captive audience for someone who gets their jollies off being a dick to people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Blaming the player for making tactically good decisions because they go against *preferred* gameplay is really only looking at half of the problem. The other half is mappers accepting responsibility for creating environments where these tactics are 1) relatively easy to accomplish and 2) actually very effective in many situations.
This actually surprises me, under this logic we should not ban people for using map hacks or aim bots, because if Epic should just accept responsibility that the game they built is hack-able and has flaws in it. If they didn't want people to aim bot they should have built the game better with no flaws in it. After all aim botting is 1) relatively easy to accomplish and 2) actually very effective in many situations.

Just because someone finds a flaw in a map, doesn't give them the entitlement to exploit it. In addition you know that the mappers do their building in their spare time, right? They are not getting paid or doing this as a professional gig. They cannot always anticipate dick move that a creative thinker can come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
And while all 3 of those players are certainly ultimately responsible for their own (continuing) behavior, you know what they didn't do? They didn't design the map, they didn't design the vehicles, and they didn't design silly easily exploitable gimmicks like the minotaur having a stupidly high damage multiplier to bio damage. If you genuinely want to fix the problem, fix the broken ass movement speed creep and fix the plethora of 1 shot gimmicks which now plague the game.
Just because I am given a bat and sent out on a field with 9 opponents, does not entitle me to run around handing out concussions, then blaming the Abner Doubleday stating if he didn't want me to do that he shouldn't have given me a bat.

We live in a world where by I keep hearing politicians and other random talking heads gibbering about "personal responsibility". If people are going to engage in dick behaviors they should have the personal responsibility to state that they were doing dick things and even after being asked and told to stop, by admins, they continued.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Thanks for this response. Not many have the courage to admit what you just did.
Wait... what? Courage, huh?
McGimpkins is offline  
Old 04-14-2017, 08:27 PM   #83
-Goose-
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 332
Default
Reply With Quote


Sometimes I wonder if people even read what I write.....

I'll start with the easy one first.
Quote:
An OP vehicle levels the playing field if your a crappy shot with the shock rifle like I am
I actually wrote that strong vehicles were OK (not a big fan personally but whatever). The problem is the combination of 1 or 2 shot kill trivial kills combined with high movement speed. I said this earlier and now I am repeating it for some reason....

Now on to the more nasty stuff...
Quote:
This actually surprises me, under this logic we should not ban people for using map hacks or aim bots, because if Epic should just accept responsibility that the game they built is hack-able and has flaws in it.
1) This is a gross misrepresentation of what I said. 2) This is effectively putting words in my mouth. 3) No this is not comparable. 4) While UT code quality is pretty trash, Epic really can't stop hacks outside of the program, so no there too....

Quote:
After all aim botting is 1) relatively easy to accomplish and 2) actually very effective in many situations.
Except aimbotting is not operating within the established structure and rules of the game. Nothing Roger (or Pam or MP or Para) have done is an exploit, they were working with the built in tools that mappers specifically created to be used by players, period.

Quote:
People should be able to join Omni and play a game without being held as the captive audience for someone who gets their jollies off being a dick to people.
Again, nothing the aforementioned parties did created any sort of involuntary captive audience situation. I played with and against them many times while they employed said tactics... didn't bother me a damn bit.

Quote:
They are not getting paid or doing this as a professional gig. They cannot always anticipate dick move that a creative thinker can come up with.
Really? I mean I am a pretty straight laced person, but these "dick moves" you mention have always existed in just about every online game ever. Even in early UT there was manta whoring / spawn killing on dreamus and prime... There were even maps specifically designed around "dick moves" Utterly Platforming Goodness for example. Hell, the shear existence of the PPC tank on any map ever is a "dick move" as far as I am concerned.... Maybe we can start banning mappers who included that god forsaken vehicle in their designs.... or maybe that would be going to far. But I'm going to expand on player behavior a little later...

Quote:
We live in a world where by I keep hearing politicians and other random talking heads gibbering about "personal responsibility".
This is strawman. I specifically stated in my post that the banned parties were responsible for their continued actions. While I do not agree with their initial bans, I do agree that once they came here, made a promise not to engage in said behavior again, then broke that promise, that is indeed ban worthy regardless of the initial correctness of the "gameplay" based bans. You want to talk about "personal responsibility" how about someone on the opposing team manning the fuck up and taking some responsibility for allowing Roger to drive a goddamn Tiamat entirely across 2 huge maps virtually unscathed. Dozens of high powered, highly mobile vehicles on those maps, and nobody can stop a player in the slowest moving vehicle with the most massive hitbox. Yeah, there is some responsibility dodging going on there....

Quote:
Yay! More defense for asshole behavior. Just what we needed!
Oh hell no. Again, as I mentioned earlier, and in my original post; I did not void the players of the ultimate responsibility for their eventual outcomes. But you want to talk about asshole behavior? Let's talk about asshole behavior...

Anytime anyone new or unknown shows up at OMNI, they are very likely in for a bad time. If you are not one of the established "in-crowd" and you dare to take a regular's prized vehicle or make even the smallest mistake you are going to get jumped on immediately. And if you dare try to stand up for yourself, half of the rest of the server is going to pile on. How do I know this? Well, I alias quite a bit. And it has happened to me many, many times. And I am not the worst player in the world. Still, the regulars love to tell me how to play, and talk down to me, and insult me personally, and insult my abilities at the game..... just because they don't know who I am. And I don't even do anything to provoke this shit other than play the game to the best of my ability. Now, if that is how I get treated, and I am a reasonably skilled player, I can't imagine what some average Joe or new player goes through.... If you are looking at reasons for an ever declining player base, look no further than these assholes. And guess what Lagzilla? You are one of them! What a surprise... At least 3 times in the last year that I can recall, you have just flipped your shit on me, thrown me under the bus, all while I was legit try-harding to help the team win as best I could. You want to talk about asshole behavior? While I can't give MP, Pam, or Para a pass as they were just as toxic as everyone else on the server, in all my time playing at OMNI I never heard Roger be genuinely mean to anyone over the mic. I also never saw him type anything remotely mean to anyone else unprovoked. Even when he was provoked himself, the most I ever saw was him jokingly reply.

But apparently the tactics a player uses in the game are more important than how we directly treat other human beings. And that is some fucked up shit. Talk about asshole behavior...
-Goose- is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 09:10 AM   #84
Lagzilla
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 784
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
And guess what Lagzilla? You are one of them!
I said asshole behavior, not being an actual asshole, these are two different things, and, in fact Roger is a great example of that, as you pointed out. Plays like an asshole, rarely interacts with players in game chat. Paracletus is on the opposite end of that spectrum.

Speaking of being an asshole though, thanks for self identifying.

A
Lagzilla is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #85
-Goose-
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 332
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
I said asshole behavior, not being an actual asshole...
I'm glad we are not friends.
-Goose- is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #86
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...
 
Anonymous[Lolz]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York State
Posts: 872
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
Wait... what? Courage, huh?
Having an opinion than what is accepted on this forum is a heresy and must be stomped out.
Anonymous[Lolz] is offline  
Old 04-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #87
Lagzilla
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 784
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
I'm glad we are not friends.
No doubt there. Good day sir!

A
Lagzilla is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 02:16 AM   #88
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 271
Default
Reply With Quote


So this thread has taken a few detours and I guess that's fine. I'm going to try to steer it back to its main point and hopefully wrap things up?

1) To answer the question, I did try to start this topic in the "report a chode" forum but got minimal replies and very few of my posts made it past the screening process. It wasn't a big deal or anything to me, I just figured I'd start it in the regular forum to see what everyone thinks and for more visibility.

2) So I'm gathering that the act itself of killing locked vehicles is perfectly legal in this server. Where the gray area lies is your intent. Is this correct? I'm fine either way, in fact I wouldn't mind employing the strategy myself, I was just always under the impression that it was illegal... turns out it'll only just make a number of people hate you which is up to the player to roll the dice on that one. In the UMG server it was a pretty regular thing to sneak a manta away while your base/primary was getting destroyed and then make the rounds shooting the enemy vehicles down to smoke to setup for a comeback. As for spawnkilling, I'd be okay if that were legal as well.

3) Paracletus in general. The guy is annoying af. In voice, text and playing. He NEVER has a good day or is friendly toward anyone or the group. At best I've seen him neutral. It seems nobody is excited to have him in the game (and he brings it upon himself sadly). Turns out what he's doing is okay though and I just need to keep dealing with the lame political insults, cheap plays, and general inability. If I could put my two cents out there (for whatever it's worth as a player who I'm sure some of you think sucks or is spammy or whatever), can we please start using more of the "non lethals" when it comes to admin action? Can we do more llama, kick, temporary bans etc on the d-bags? I think that can really clean up the bickering. Or am I wrong in this? I dont know the trends. Or does having the broken window policy just make people abandon the server at an even quicker rate?


I like the banter on this server. It's fun and is one of the reasons omni is my favorite, but when it just turns into cold pointed insults I start to check the server browser to see what else is going on. And unfortunately that list is getting smaller and smaller.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:22 PM   #89
-Goose-
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 332
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
3) Paracletus in general. The guy is annoying af. In voice, text and playing. He NEVER has a good day or is friendly toward anyone or the group. At best I've seen him neutral. It seems nobody is excited to have him in the game (and he brings it upon himself sadly). Turns out what he's doing is okay though and I just need to keep dealing with the lame political insults, cheap plays, and general inability. If I could put my two cents out there (for whatever it's worth as a player who I'm sure some of you think sucks or is spammy or whatever), can we please start using more of the "non lethals" when it comes to admin action? Can we do more llama, kick, temporary bans etc on the d-bags? I think that can really clean up the bickering. Or am I wrong in this? I dont know the trends. Or does having the broken window policy just make people abandon the server at an even quicker rate?
Now this I can agree with 100%. Para is one of the most miserable people I have had the misfortune of encountering online. Don't forget you can mute him and disable his chat, but if he was llama'd, I don't think you would find anyone complaining...
-Goose- is offline  
Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 PM   #90
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 271
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Now this I can agree with 100%. Para is one of the most miserable people I have had the misfortune of encountering online. Don't forget you can mute him and disable his chat, but if he was llama'd, I don't think you would find anyone complaining...
For some reason my mutes never work. Maybe its because I'm on OSX? Sometimes it'll last for a round but once I quit and come back they're all back to normal.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:07 AM   #91
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...
 
Anonymous[Lolz]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York State
Posts: 872
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
For some reason my mutes never work. Maybe its because I'm on OSX? Sometimes it'll last for a round but once I quit and come back they're all back to normal.
check your permissions
Anonymous[Lolz] is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:27 AM   #92
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 271
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
check your permissions
How? Sorry I don't know what this means
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 01:44 AM   #93
Wormbo
Wormlike
 
Wormbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 907
Default
Reply With Quote


File permissions. Your chat ignores are stored locally on your file system. Look up the UT2004.ini and User.ini files and make sure the user running the UT2004 application has write privileges to those files.
Wormbo is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #94
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 286
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
For some reason my mutes never work. Maybe its because I'm on OSX? Sometimes it'll last for a round but once I quit and come back they're all back to normal.
I'm on OSX and I frequently hear those Ooorgle, llamaed people at times. Shrugging as to why your experience is different though!
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-18-2017, 03:03 PM   #95
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

 
Sumugan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Miami, FL. USA, Terra Firma
Posts: 286
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
check your permissions
I remember helping out another mapper with an issue on OSX.

While holding down the alt/option key, go to menu while finder is active, and go to /Library/Application Support/ I think you'll find hidden files, there, and find UT/ and go Command-I on the setup their talking about and make sure that the read/write is allowed for your current user in the bottom permissions box. If not, click the lock, admin password needed, and add yourself as the current admin user by clicking the "+" (plus sign)....

Does that help?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 03:23 AM   #96
joeblow
Just Registered
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 15
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Sometimes I wonder if people even read what I write.....

I'll start with the easy one first.
I actually wrote that strong vehicles were OK (not a big fan personally but whatever). The problem is the combination of 1 or 2 shot kill trivial kills combined with high movement speed. I said this earlier and now I am repeating it for some reason....

Now on to the more nasty stuff...
1) This is a gross misrepresentation of what I said. 2) This is effectively putting words in my mouth. 3) No this is not comparable. 4) While UT code quality is pretty trash, Epic really can't stop hacks outside of the program, so no there too....

Except aimbotting is not operating within the established structure and rules of the game. Nothing Roger (or Pam or MP or Para) have done is an exploit, they were working with the built in tools that mappers specifically created to be used by players, period.

Again, nothing the aforementioned parties did created any sort of involuntary captive audience situation. I played with and against them many times while they employed said tactics... didn't bother me a damn bit.

Really? I mean I am a pretty straight laced person, but these "dick moves" you mention have always existed in just about every online game ever. Even in early UT there was manta whoring / spawn killing on dreamus and prime... There were even maps specifically designed around "dick moves" Utterly Platforming Goodness for example. Hell, the shear existence of the PPC tank on any map ever is a "dick move" as far as I am concerned.... Maybe we can start banning mappers who included that god forsaken vehicle in their designs.... or maybe that would be going to far. But I'm going to expand on player behavior a little later...

This is strawman. I specifically stated in my post that the banned parties were responsible for their continued actions. While I do not agree with their initial bans, I do agree that once they came here, made a promise not to engage in said behavior again, then broke that promise, that is indeed ban worthy regardless of the initial correctness of the "gameplay" based bans. You want to talk about "personal responsibility" how about someone on the opposing team manning the fuck up and taking some responsibility for allowing Roger to drive a goddamn Tiamat entirely across 2 huge maps virtually unscathed. Dozens of high powered, highly mobile vehicles on those maps, and nobody can stop a player in the slowest moving vehicle with the most massive hitbox. Yeah, there is some responsibility dodging going on there....

Oh hell no. Again, as I mentioned earlier, and in my original post; I did not void the players of the ultimate responsibility for their eventual outcomes. But you want to talk about asshole behavior? Let's talk about asshole behavior...

Anytime anyone new or unknown shows up at OMNI, they are very likely in for a bad time. If you are not one of the established "in-crowd" and you dare to take a regular's prized vehicle or make even the smallest mistake you are going to get jumped on immediately. And if you dare try to stand up for yourself, half of the rest of the server is going to pile on. How do I know this? Well, I alias quite a bit. And it has happened to me many, many times. And I am not the worst player in the world. Still, the regulars love to tell me how to play, and talk down to me, and insult me personally, and insult my abilities at the game..... just because they don't know who I am. And I don't even do anything to provoke this shit other than play the game to the best of my ability. Now, if that is how I get treated, and I am a reasonably skilled player, I can't imagine what some average Joe or new player goes through.... If you are looking at reasons for an ever declining player base, look no further than these assholes. And guess what Lagzilla? You are one of them! What a surprise... At least 3 times in the last year that I can recall, you have just flipped your shit on me, thrown me under the bus, all while I was legit try-harding to help the team win as best I could. You want to talk about asshole behavior? While I can't give MP, Pam, or Para a pass as they were just as toxic as everyone else on the server, in all my time playing at OMNI I never heard Roger be genuinely mean to anyone over the mic. I also never saw him type anything remotely mean to anyone else unprovoked. Even when he was provoked himself, the most I ever saw was him jokingly reply.

But apparently the tactics a player uses in the game are more important than how we directly treat other human beings. And that is some fucked up shit. Talk about asshole behavior...
I always liked you Goose.Swell stuff.
joeblow is offline  
Old 05-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #97
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

 
Carpe Diem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,597
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post

That all being said, I will be the first to admit in various circumstances that there can be a strategic advantage to base camping, or spamming empty vehicles. In the same way in Freon that there is a strategic advantage to shield gunning a frozen guy/girl off a cliff or stuffing him/her into a compactor. Valid strategy but pull it several times on Carpe and he'll get pissed call you a dick and ban you.
REALLY Gimpy ? While this is off topic in here I will respond none the less.

I have never banned anyone at HoC for perma-killing. Ever. Why ? Because the game settings allow any player to perma-kill once. The second time a player does it
the game also perma kills you. In fact there is an option for the player you perma-killed to be brought back to life if it's your "second strike"; unfortunately that's broken,
or more accurately, requires coding for every single method of perma-kill which is overly onerous to implement.

Perma-killing a player in Freon goes against the intent of the game. Otherwise, we'd just play TAM. But it's Freon, a player is supposed to have the ability to join
the fray again instead of sitting there twiddling their opposable thumbs. It's there to give hope to us scrub players. Plus, you get points for thawing your team-mates.
It's the game.

For the record, I've been playing UT2K4 for 10yrs. In admin capacity for probably 8. I bet I've banned (in-game) a total of 10 players in all that time. A couple for
utilizing exploits, a few for ignoring requests to change a behaviour and most for slurs/language. So you Gimpy (I say that with love, but a modicum of seriousness).


Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Power vehicles are fine (not a huge personal fan but w/e). Broken movement speed BREAKS THE FUCKING GAME. And this is a huge portion of why the tactics employed by Pam, MP, and Roger were often much more valuable than they appeared. Roger was by far the best at this, and I think he truly understood the value of his actions, while Pam was more just trolling, and MP is well.... not quite right.

And while all 3 of those players are certainly ultimately responsible for their own (continuing) behavior, you know what they didn't do? They didn't design the map, they didn't design the vehicles, and they didn't design silly easily exploitable gimmicks like the minotaur having a stupidly high damage multiplier to bio damage. If you genuinely want to fix the problem, fix the broken ass movement speed creep and fix the plethora of 1 shot gimmicks which now plague the game.
Brilliant. Highlighted first line because it's how I feel.

In the early years of Stuper Vehicles there was the Minotaur and the Bio Tank. And the Badger if you want to include that. IMO, those times were the pinnacle, the sweet
spot of ONS play. This particular issue NEVER came up. And I mean never. But the endless progression/additions of "fixes" and "enhancements" created mayhem. But
hey, I'm old school, I loved the way ONS played in those days. There was value to spawn camp occasionally, but not always. It was a different dynamic. Near the end
of my ONS playing days I was starting to be frustrated by what it had become.

In the end, I'm sure most of you dismiss my ramblings, "shit, the old guy in the corner woke up and is prattling on about the good old days"; none the less, the perspective
is valid. I'm a big fan of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It wasn't broken, it was fixed and FOR ME, it broke. But, I'm still inexorably emotionally tied to this place so I'll
continue to chime in on these types of issues. I fully realize that my perspective(s) doesn't account for changed nature of gameplay. Shit, I can remember when the
SPMA was a valid tool in the ONS toolbox; I highly doubt it isn't now.



I love you all. Except for you Gimpy. Fuck you.
__________________
Black holes are where God divided by 0. - Steven Wright






Carpe Diem is offline  
Old 05-07-2017, 12:06 AM   #98
McGimpkins


 
McGimpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Post apocalyptic wastelands
Posts: 533
Default
Reply With Quote


Ha!

So I've been traveling for work, and when I get back, I end up having to catch up on work, by the time I get out, workout, get home cook dinner, hang out with the wife, and drink a beer, I am beat go to bed. When the weekend comes around I am trying to catch up on all the things I've been neglecting around the house, that I rarely have any computer time. (Don't worry Carpe, I still find some time to read your random Facebook posts. ) I have a I get done with stuff this evening and check into OMNI, only to realize that not only had I completely forgotten about this random thread, but it is still going.

So Carpe, awhile back on HOC, I don't know my Freon maps, but I remember playing with you on this map that had a large spiked smasher in the middle. Someone, shield gunned 4 players onto the smasher (you were one of them) and proceed to hit the button and wipe out 3 or 4 of the 5 players from the other team. I do not know if this was before the in game setting for perma-kill was turned on or if there is a bug in the perma-kill system, however, you on chat seemed pretty work up and in your best "Dad" voice you told whomever the player was, if they did that again they would be banned. I'm pretty sure your exact works were "I will fucking ban you if you do that again." Once again I am not up on all of this stuff, because when I play Freon, I'm usually trying to be sociable and have fun. I'm usually not thinking about how to be a dick and knocking people into endless pits, lava pits, and smashers, but maybe I should work on that.

Now imagine if Goose showed up and proclaimed that throwing frozen players into a giant smasher is a "excellent strategy" "if you can pull it off", and that "Blaming the player for making tactically good decisions because they go against *preferred* gameplay is really only looking at half of the problem. The other half is mappers accepting responsibility for creating environments where these tactics are 1) relatively easy to accomplish and 2) actually very effective in many situations." I mean after all the real culprit in that scenario is apparently the person whom designed the map, they are the one that needs to apparently be banned from HOC (and that makes total sense, I don't know why I didn't see it before!).

In the meanwhile Anonymous shows up and makes some weird statement about how having an opinion than what is Carpe's is a heresy and must be stomped out. Then I show up and lament about how UT was so much easier when we didn't have things like lava pits and smashers in the maps, and we all need to go back to playing pong and asteroids . That about sum it up for ya? In addition you can enlighten me on what map that was, and if it happens before or after the perma-kill system was enabled. Also, your perma-kill system devalued all gameplay and is draconian and does not allow people to reach their full strategic potential!

In addition Carpe, can we issues Bans against Binger, Turbo K, DjAy-T, Lagzilla and several other content creators I am not thinking about at the moment from Omni? They obviously built maps with flaws that can be exploited by people in vindictive moods, and as we all know, banning people that create content for your server because there is something someone can exploit is a solid premise.

On to other things....

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
You want to talk about "personal responsibility" how about someone on the opposing team manning the fuck up and taking some responsibility for allowing Roger to drive a goddamn Tiamat entirely across 2 huge maps virtually unscathed. Dozens of high powered, highly mobile vehicles on those maps, and nobody can stop a player in the slowest moving vehicle with the most massive hitbox. Yeah, there is some responsibility dodging going on there....
Goose, this was my favorite line from you. Let me give you a little back story. First that is an older Magic Isles pic, meaning it is a Kraken, not a Tiamat, which is actually much easier to kill (for what it is worth), in addition there was not spawn protection at the time on the server. If you look at the pics you'll notice that Blue is taking the map. Why is that? Well, it is because I joined around 2:00 or 3:00 (MST) in the afternoon, and there were either 6 or 8 people on the the server. As soon as I joined and spawned at my core I was killed. I respawned somewhere else, grabbed a flier and took a couple of screenshots, then went on my way. Blue wiped the board with red, why you might ask? Because 33%-25% of the players on Red decided to drive a Kraken to the enemy core and blow up empty vehicles. When you say "how about someone on the opposing team manning the fuck up and taking some responsibility for allowing Roger to drive a goddamn Tiamat entirely across 2 huge maps virtually unscathed", yeah they did, they won the game while Roger lost at the enemy core. Roger might as well of gotten into a turret at his core and sat there for the entire match, but instead he choose to not go after objective, not engage people and drive right to the enemy core on a fairly empty server. And for reasons unknown to me, that sort of behavior is held up by random people and praised as being good.

So now I've heard the argument that Roger "plays to win" and that he is very "strategic", so please someone explain to me how driving a super vehicle to the enemy core and blowing up empty vehicles while their team gets creamed, is either of those two thing? I really want an answer to that, because looking at it objectively it seems like something someone would to do not because they care about "winning" but because they want to be a dick and troll.

What the hell was the topic to the thread again? Oh yea Paracelsus, did you guys know he as two degrees?! I mean don't know what the fuck they are in, but I've heard him brag about them and how the fuck can you stand an intellectual leg up against two degrees? Wait a second, I have an Undergraduate and a Masters Degree, does that mean I have two degrees? Fuck maybe I need to brag some more, ahhhh, who to the fuck knows.

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH, apparently Paracelsus is involved in highly strategic gameplay. You see, he is like a chess player, always thinking 5 moves ahead and ready with an insult in case you call him out on his strategy. (Chess players insult each other right?) You cannot question his gameplay because it is beyond any of us but super computers, the intellectual elite and fucking rain man. I hope that answers all your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Anytime anyone new or unknown shows up at OMNI, they are very likely in for a bad time. If you are not one of the established "in-crowd" and you dare to take a regular's prized vehicle or make even the smallest mistake you are going to get jumped on immediately. And if you dare try to stand up for yourself, half of the rest of the server is going to pile on. How do I know this? Well, I alias quite a bit. And it has happened to me many, many times. And I am not the worst player in the world. Still, the regulars love to tell me how to play, and talk down to me, and insult me personally, and insult my abilities at the game..... just because they don't know who I am. And I don't even do anything to provoke this shit other than play the game to the best of my ability. Now, if that is how I get treated, and I am a reasonably skilled player, I can't imagine what some average Joe or new player goes through.... If you are looking at reasons for an ever declining player base, look no further than these assholes.
Goose, I agree with this and would actually like it a lot if Admins had the ability to mute voice chat in game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
I love you all. Except for you Gimpy. Fuck you.
Carpe, according to this map you posted up, you're in the Old Person Snobs belt. I still think that describes you to a T . Oh and fuck you too!

McGimpkins is offline  
Old 05-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #99
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...
 
Anonymous[Lolz]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York State
Posts: 872
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
In the meanwhile Anonymous shows up and makes some weird statement about how having an opinion than what is Carpe's is a heresy and must be stomped out.
Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
(Chess players insult each other right?)
Quote:
There are too many Jews in chess. They seem to have taken away the class of the game. They don't seem to dress so nicely. That's what I don't like.
Right.
Anonymous[Lolz] is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:17 AM.