Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner
View Poll Results: Make Dria-TMU Symmetrical?
No, leave it asymmetrical. 7 43.75%
Yes, use the South part. 8 50.00%
Yes, use the North part. 0 0%
Yes, but some other part; East, West, or Combo. 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2017, 02:48 PM   #81
Binger

All this talk about the Seapack has reminded me of one of my many unfinished projects. This one is supposed to be a floating base. Obviously it's not finished. I was planning on using some floating tanks but the stuff from the Seapack would also be good.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #82
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Nice!!

Andrew
Old 03-19-2017, 06:34 AM   #83
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

I don't know how y'all do this shit...but great work!

Binger, that looks like a beautiful map. All that's missing is seamen.

Never give up BITCHES!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #84
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Colbye It Is Spelled

"SEMEN"

All joking aside it looks awesome Binger!! You, Lagzilla, and the rest of the mappers are really making some great maps. Thanks for keeping it new and unreal
Old 03-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #85
Binger

Thanks guys, but I don't think I will ever finish that map. I've been thinking of posting up all my unfinished projects to see if anyone wants to take them over. I've got one or two that might be worth it. There's also UT4 and the inevitable ONS/WAR so I might use some of my ideas for that.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:32 PM   #86
Enyo
Getting there...

I'd like to help with maps buuuuuuuuuut...

1) I have the Mac version of UT2K4 and it doesn't support the editor
2) What little spare time I have I use playing the game
3) I just don't wanna... not that I'm not appreciative of you mappers, but I truly have zero desire for it.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:41 PM   #87
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Okay, cool. Keep in mind that what I sent you is not ready to be worked on. I just wanted you to have a quick look in the editor and let me know if you are okay with it so far. I chose a spot to split and join the sides that makes it only slightly bigger than if I had lined the walls up exactly (which wasn't really an option). I moved the walls and most of the terrain is done around them so you should be able to get a good idea of what it will be like. If you are okay with it then there are some other things that I will ask for feedback on, like the terrain on the other side of the wall from the right-side primary and some additional smoothing of the terrain in various areas. First though I need to see if you are okay with it so far.
I've checked the map and it looks fine. Let me know if there is anything else you want to do before I start working on it.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #88
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I've checked the map and it looks fine. Let me know if there is anything else you want to do before I start working on it.
Off the top of my head I can think of several. Please don't use that copy. It hasn't been checked.

Jump pads and jump spots will need to have their forced paths changed. The ones on the new side will be connecting to path nodes on the other side. Same with teleporter URLs.

The texture on the terrain is not finished. The seams are ugly and need to blend better.

The area on the other side of the wall from the right-side primary could use some work.

I deleted some volumes that seemed to be only for location names on the scoreboard. All volumes need to be checked. Maybe just delete them all, like the ones on the bridges.

I added those rocks between the bridges to cover up the seams in those two pieces that run around the edge of the lake. I don't really like the rocks there. Maybe those things around the edge of the lake should just be deleted?

I'd like to do some more work on the terrain around where the bridges land.

Probably some other stuff I'm forgetting right now.

Let me have a look and clean it up a bit.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #89
Binger

I can't get the seams to look good. The lighting just doesn't work correctly. This may be because the texture is spun around from the negative values in the terrain scale. I tried to fix that with things like "texture rotation" but it doesn't work so they will just have to be obvious seams. On the plus side I figured out how to mirror a terrain in just one axis. I was sure I had done that before but recently couldn't figure it out. Not related to Dria but I'm happy I figured it out.

I'm working on this. Give me a few days.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #90
Binger

I think I'm done with this but I want to work on the bot paths, even though I don't like doing that work. Despite its size Dria-TMU plays well with just a few players. The bots though are mostly useless.

I just remembered that you want to make an island with a fort on it. Do you want it to be symmetrical with the other side? If so you will either need to make the island and fort and then hand it back to me or else do the whole symmetry thing yourself.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #91
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
I think I'm done with this but I want to work on the bot paths, even though I don't like doing that work. Despite its size Dria-TMU plays well with just a few players. The bots though are mostly useless.

I just remembered that you want to make an island with a fort on it. Do you want it to be symmetrical with the other side? If so you will either need to make the island and fort and then hand it back to me or else do the whole symmetry thing yourself.
I'll take care of the fort. It won't be terrain-based.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:13 PM   #92
Binger

Just an update. I haven't forgotten about this. I've been busy and I just don't want to let this go yet. I'm still working on the bot paths and doing some small rearranging of meshes. I really want to do some serious rearranging of the base area and the corner nodes but I will refrain. The bot paths are mostly for testing. It's hard to get an idea of how things will play when the bots are useless. I've also been continuing to smooth out some of the snaggies on the terrain.

Anyway, hang in there Turbo and I'll get this to you eventually.

Btw, I pulled the South side ones from my dropbox because I forgot to fix some things after the copy/duplicate thing. If for some reason anyone wants them let me know.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #93
Binger

Okay, I think this is good. The bot paths are still a little messed up but after so many times of seeing a path go straight through a close by node without connecting to it I've gotten too frustrated. The flying path nodes are the worst. I managed to get a connection to the Hammerhead at the core but I gave up on the ones at the corner nodes. I was tempted to break all bot ground paths to any flyers so they wouldn't even try to use them but I don't know what your plans are for vehicles so I left them.

I added the Special core/node with the radar node health from Sedoy's AbandonedCity map. It is not embedded since I didn't know if you would want it to stay. There are a couple of extra nodes outside the map that are the last in line numerically in case you want to add them somewhere.

I deleted all the regular Goliaths and the Bio tank. I added a Goliath II in one spot just to check it out on the map. I have no idea what you're intending with this map so don't take those changes as suggestions. I was just playing around.

There is no radar map image. I was going to do a new one but then I remembered that you mentioned changing the look of things so I left it blank. I will add one, ofc, if you want me to but I think you've done them before and are probably better at it then I would be. You might want to repaint visibility to the terrain around the edge for the pic. Also, you will probably need to adjust the range of the radar after adding an image. I think it may be a little too high. I couldn't use the terrain for the range because it doesn't seem to work correctly when there are two of them.

Check it out Turbo and see if you're okay with it. I tested it a little but not much.

Last edited by Binger; 10-05-2017 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Removed Link
Old 04-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #94
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Okay, I think this is good. The bot paths are still a little messed up but after so many times of seeing a path go straight through a close by node without connecting to it I've gotten too frustrated. The flying path nodes are the worst. I managed to get a connection to the Hammerhead at the core but I gave up on the ones at the corner nodes. I was tempted to break all bot ground paths to any flyers so they wouldn't even try to use them but I don't know what your plans are for vehicles so I left them.

I added the Special core/node with the radar node health from Sedoy's AbandonedCity map. It is not embedded since I didn't know if you would want it to stay. There are a couple of extra nodes outside the map that are the last in line numerically in case you want to add them somewhere.

I deleted all the regular Goliaths and the Bio tank. I added a Goliath II in one spot just to check it out on the map. I have no idea what you're intending with this map so don't take those changes as suggestions. I was just playing around.

There is no radar map image. I was going to do a new one but then I remembered that you mentioned changing the look of things so I left it blank. I will add one, ofc, if you want me to but I think you've done them before and are probably better at it then I would be. You might want to repaint visibility to the terrain around the edge for the pic. Also, you will probably need to adjust the range of the radar after adding an image. I think it may be a little too high. I couldn't use the terrain for the range because it doesn't seem to work correctly when there are two of them.

Check it out Turbo and see if you're okay with it. I tested it a little but not much.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/godx6cic9s...North.zip?dl=0
Thanks, I'll check it out. I wouldn't spend too much time on the pathing, since the map is way too big to play with less than 10 people anyway. Are all the nodes numbered the exact same? I'd hate to have anything except 1 and 2 in the middle.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 PM   #95
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Thanks, I'll check it out. I wouldn't spend too much time on the pathing, since the map is way too big to play with less than 10 people anyway. Are all the nodes numbered the exact same? I'd hate to have anything except 1 and 2 in the middle.
Nodes should be the same but I didn't think to check that when testing. I'm not even sure I got the link setup the same as it was. I did reference a screenshot of the node setup when adding them but you should check them. If they are off then you can just move them around. They should stay numbered the same since they go backwards from the way they are added, the last added being node 1. That's why I added a couple of extras in case you wanted them because adding new nodes to maps screws up the numbers. I moved them outside of the map because they were showing the node health on the minimap even though they weren't linked.

I didn't take a lot of time adjusting their location when adding them. I did make sure they were very close to mirroring their locations to the other side but I didn't really test them for line of sight. You might have a look and adjust them however you like. You can hide the terrain then line them up in the top view using the grid to make sure their locations are symmetrical (the map should now be perfectly centered). Also, I'm not sure I like the node beacons on this map. I've never minded them on other maps but for reason I didn't like them on this one. I may have just been thinking weird. No biggy either way. I do like the special nodes but just do what you want with them.

Just a heads-up about the lake nodes, they can now both be easily taken out from the bridge area. A Mino can sit there and keep them both suppressed. You might consider moving them out a little or adding some new ones out further. The map is all yours.

Btw, I feel like I'm forgetting something important so if you find something I screwed up them let me know.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #96
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Nodes should be the same but I didn't think to check that when testing. I'm not even sure I got the link setup the same as it was. I did reference a screenshot of the node setup when adding them but you should check them. If they are off then you can just move them around. They should stay numbered the same since they go backwards from the way they are added, the last added being node 1. That's why I added a couple of extras in case you wanted them because adding new nodes to maps screws up the numbers. I moved them outside of the map because they were showing the node health on the minimap even though they weren't linked.

I didn't take a lot of time adjusting their location when adding them. I did make sure they were very close to mirroring their locations to the other side but I didn't really test them for line of sight. You might have a look and adjust them however you like. You can hide the terrain then line them up in the top view using the grid to make sure their locations are symmetrical (the map should now be perfectly centered). Also, I'm not sure I like the node beacons on this map. I've never minded them on other maps but for reason I didn't like them on this one. I may have just been thinking weird. No biggy either way. I do like the special nodes but just do what you want with them.

Just a heads-up about the lake nodes, they can now both be easily taken out from the bridge area. A Mino can sit there and keep them both suppressed. You might consider moving them out a little or adding some new ones out further. The map is all yours.

Btw, I feel like I'm forgetting something important so if you find something I screwed up them let me know.
Alright, I'll start working on this version. I'm going to build a little fortress around the lake nodes so that they can't be taken out from the bridge.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner