Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 10-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
Binger

Default Tank Models

Most of the tank mods in this game have used the model for the Goliath body. I've been trying to learn Blender lately so that I can create some more tanks. These could be used for new vehicles or for replacements on existing mods.

Here's something I was working on last night. Keep in mind that I'm very new to this kind of thing and this obviously still needs a lot of work. There are no treads yet and I'm using the Goliath turret as a placeholder.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:20 PM   #2
Binger

Okay so the first one sucked, I admit, but keep in mind that I'm planning on adding a lot more detail and there is no texture on it. I'm just trying to get a basic shape laid out while I learn to 3D model.

Is this one any better as a basic shape?

Old 10-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Looks cool. Drawing any inspiration from any specific real tanks?
Old 10-24-2016, 12:19 AM   #4
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Looks cool. Drawing any inspiration from any specific real tanks?
Thanks. I'm getting there. Things will look a lot better with more detail but I want to settle on a basic shape first. I would also like to rig something basic and get it in the game for testing in case there are things I learn while doing that that will effect the way I model the tanks.

I've been looking at a lot of tanks, of course, on Google and Bing but I'm not using any one specifically. I want to avoid that so it comes out as something original. I was using the stock Goliath as a reference. Sort of like a different model from the same manufacturer but now I'm just kind of winging it. I was being a lot more careful at first but I changed my approach and I'm using a different object for all the parts and just mashing them together. I'll clean it up once I get the basic shapes.

I like this tank a lot. I will probably copy a lot of things from it.

Note: Opening Photobucket has really been slowing down my browser lately so I just copied the URL for the image.

It's used on this website. It looks like one stole it from the other because Photobucket says Mandalorian, which is apparently a Star Wars thing but that website it's on is for a "simulation game" which I don't really understand. They call it an Atlas Battlepanzer.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=303037
Old 10-24-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
analog
Community Veteran

I liked the 1st one, made me think of a Tron hover tank.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
I liked the 1st one, made me think of a Tron hover tank.
If someone made Tron vehicles I would sign up to make a new Tron map. That.Sounds.Awesome.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
duh
www.gotse.cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
If someone made Tron vehicles I would sign up to make a new Tron map. That.Sounds.Awesome.

please, please, please, please someone do this!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:41 PM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

There's a CTF Tron map I posted in the map request thread:
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...t=14876&page=3
Old 11-09-2016, 03:43 AM   #9
Binger

Lol, I had to look up the Tron tank. Been a long time since I've seen the original movie. That tank is cool. I was thinking of trying to model it just for fun but it looks like that's been done many times.

I got frustrated trying to design the front of my tank so I'm working on the back now. I've tried several different things. I think this one is heading in a good direction but it's still not quit right. It doesn't look tough enough.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
Terminator
Getting there...

Binger, I was on TS with McGimpkins while playing Battlefront-Futurecombat and he brought up the Mammoth tank. The model itself is unique; reminds me of the Hurricane... No other similar tank model. The tank itself sucks. With that being said, we both were wondering if you could take the Mammoth tank model and make it not suck? Replace those guns/turrets with something else?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #11
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Binger, I was on TS with McGimpkins while playing Battlefront-Futurecombat and he brought up the Mammoth tank. The model itself is unique; reminds me of the Hurricane... No other similar tank model. The tank itself sucks. With that being said, we both were wondering if you could take the Mammoth tank model and make it not suck? Replace those guns/turrets with something else?
I think it's great that he made new models for the vehicles in that map but yeah they need work for sure. I'm not going to mess with it because, honestly, I think my models for medium and heavy tanks will be just as good and I'd rather focus on that. I still have a lot to learn. I like the turrets on those tanks but the bodies are a little plain. Good design but they need a little more detail and the textures need to be redone with higher resolution.

I might have a look at the files to see if I can just change some default properties but it probably won't be any time soon. Maybe someone else can do it. It would be cool.

Btw, check out this thread. They're doing some pretty cool stuff...

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtour...al-on-vehicels
Old 01-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
Binger

I haven't worked on any of this for a while but I decided to try to sort of throw together a model for a "light" tank to use in place of something like a Lobreaker. I'm trying not to get to hung up on getting everything just right. When I look at how simple and basic the Lobreaker model is realize things don't really need to be that good to work. It could always be updated later. This is what I did yesterday trying to get a basic shape laid out. It's not quit right but I think it's close. It's alongside the Goliath for size comparison and is also using a scaled down Goliath turret. I will make my own.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #13
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Why not use the Badger model? Minus Badger me up has lots of variants to choose from. Maybe modify the damage and speed a bit, and you have a nice light tank ready to go.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 AM   #14
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

FUNNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Why not use the Badger model? Minus Badger me up has lots of variants to choose from. Maybe modify the damage and speed a bit, and you have a nice light tank ready to go.
You and your love affair with Badgers....
Old 01-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #15
Binger

Made a little more progress on a light tank. The body's coming along. Started working on a turret now. There are so many things I want to do but that I don't know how. Instead of taking the time to learn how I just keep doing things the hard way. One of these day I will actually learn the tools.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:52 PM   #16
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Looks great. Have any ideas for the paintjob?
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #17
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Needs Bumper Sticker with smoker smiley face lol Otherwise it looks like a mean tank
Old 02-10-2017, 02:53 PM   #18
Binger

Thanks guys. I added some missile pods.

I've been playing with the Unreal Engine vehicle stuff. Watching a lot of videos and reading and trying to get a four-wheeled truck set up. So this tank and anything for UT2004 are on hold.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner