Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 08-09-2015, 11:15 AM   #1
Wormbo
Wormlike

Default [Weapon] Battery Launcher

Speaking of AVRiLs in the air...

Here's a new weapon intended as AVRiL replacement, the Battery Launcher. Yes, battery as in a chemical cell full of electric charge.
It essentially works like the standard AVRiL, except that the explosive output against vehicles is a bit lower. That, however, is more than made up by the electrical discharges the batteries release at anything in their path or close to it. In other words, you don't really want to stand next to a vehicle being targeted by a bettery, or you may have an electrifying experience. In fact, you probably also don't want to surprise a player who still has the Battery Launcher out - he might just launch a battery rocket your way before switching to a more suitable weapon.

I also gave it the same tweaking properties as the "tweaked AVRiL" to allow mappers to play with them, but kept them all at standard AVRiL values, as batteries don't need to hit in order to do damage. In fact, they may do a lot more damage if they can stay in zapping range for a long time.

Download

Last edited by Wormbo; 12-12-2015 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: updated link for release 2
Old 08-09-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

Does it leave EMP type shit in its wake?

Never give up BITCHES!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
hardspike
Server Admin

Sounds cool Wormbo. Can't wait to see one in action.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:50 PM   #4
McGimpkins
©

So messing around with it, I see if I fire it at a node or an empty vehicle it shocks it with lighting before impacting it. At the same time I fired it right by some bots, it did shock and hurt them, but did not kill them. I was unable to determine how much damage it did to them.

What is the damage that the shock does? In addition what is the radius of the shock? Does the damage lesson if you are at the parameter of the range?
Old 08-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #5
Turbo K
Community Veteran

This is a neat idea. Does it affect vehicles in any way besides light damage?
Old 08-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
Wormbo
Wormlike

There's no EMP stuff going on, just up to 20 damage per zap at up to 1500UU in front of the rocket every 0.1 seconds. There's some recharge logic going on in the background to make it not do continuous damage output like a Linkgun.

Originally I thought about a much broader charge system where a target that got zapped stores some of the charge and releases it when something or someone else comes close. That system still needs some thinking before I can implement it, though. For example, who should be attributed with the kill if a driven vehicle discharges against someone? What about that if multiple people "charge up" some object?
IMHO that must be part of a second version to really stay true to the original from Operation Inner Space.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Wormbo
Wormlike

I picked this one up again. Zapping damage will be increased by 50% (up to 30 damage per zap) and this version will make Turtle drivers break down and cry when the fifth Battery hits their defensive shell, because Battery rockets will drain 2000 extra hit points from Paladin-type shields. That means, a Paladin shield is wiped away in a single hit, an Aegis shield in at most two and the Turtle's 9k shield hit points are gone with the fifth hit.

Apart from that, the rocket itself will stay at 120 damage against players on foot and 168 against vehicles and nodes (compared to 125/200 from AVRiLs), but bit a larger explosion radius than the AVRiL at 200UU instead of just 150UU.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #8
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Sounds good!
Old 12-12-2015, 09:53 AM   #9
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
I picked this one up again. Zapping damage will be increased by 50% (up to 30 damage per zap) and this version will make Turtle drivers break down and cry when the fifth Battery hits their defensive shell, because Battery rockets will drain 2000 extra hit points from Paladin-type shields. That means, a Paladin shield is wiped away in a single hit, an Aegis shield in at most two and the Turtle's 9k shield hit points are gone with the fifth hit.

Apart from that, the rocket itself will stay at 120 damage against players on foot and 168 against vehicles and nodes (compared to 125/200 from AVRiLs), but bit a larger explosion radius than the AVRiL at 200UU instead of just 150UU.
That's really interesting. Something like that on TaL would have an interesting impact.

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 12-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #10
Wormbo
Wormlike

I ditched the idea for a "charge system" and just uploaded the new version.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #11
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Do you think this and the Helios Artillery are ready for being placed on the server? I'd like to try them on a map I'm working on.
Old 12-13-2015, 01:38 AM   #12
Wormbo
Wormlike

THanks for reminding me about the Helios Artillery, I forgot I still wanted to fix a few pivot issues with the Reverse SPMAs. The Battery Launcher should be ready, though.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #13
Xexx
Just Registered

What's the bind command to pull this out in battle before defaulting to the avril?

F=getweapon Onslaught.ONSAVRiL | PipedSwitchWeapon 9

That's what I have for the avril, can I add a command to the same button that will pull it out first if I have it?
Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 AM   #14
Wormbo
Wormlike

Since it may be embedded in maps, the command would be simply "GetWeapon BatteryLauncher" (it should resolve the package automatically)

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner