Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #1
Wormbo
Wormlike

Default [Mutator/ServerActor] Smarter Bots

Tired of having to choose between dumb and slow bots and aimbot-wielding maniacs when not enough human opponents are around?

"Smarter Bots" applies small modifications to the generic bot AI that removes or reduces the influence of difficulty level on bot skills. Their aim is unaffected, so if godlike aiming scares you, you can scale their accuracy using the difficulty levels as usual. However, many other aspects, such as movement speeds, translocator usage or general jumping and dodging on the lowest levels, have been greatly improved by mostly or entirely decoupling them from the game difficulty level.

Download Link
Old 03-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
-=PhoeniX=-
In and out like a flash!

"Lower difficulty settings do not make bots oblivious to incoming projectiles and vehicles anymore."
Haha! Thank you, Wormbo!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #3
Binger

This and LinkMeDamnit would be some nice additions to the server. Bots can be so frustrating. I know a lot of the issues are from poor paths but anything to help them would be good.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:23 AM   #4
Wormbo
Wormlike

I've looked at reimplementing the part of "Link Me Dammit!" that lets bots mention the Minotaur location, but tried to extend it in some way that is class-agnostic.
Turns out the Minotaur is seriously underrated when you only take its stats. On the other hand, if you include damage per second, the Fire Tank gets seriously overrated due to its turrets' misleading damage values. (something like 85 damage, 10 times per second)
For now I settled on a mostly health-based rating with minor adjustments for expected combined damage output per second of all vehicle weapons combined. The rating does not take current health or number of actually occupied seats into account, as a human wouldn't be able to really determine that either.

As for dynamically finding vehicles to report, I stuck to a simple self-adjusting approach. Based on the vehicle rating each team only tracks the three currently known enemy vehicles with the highest ranking among all vehicles that are either an artillery or have at least 800 default health or are otherwise flagged as "important". Additionally, flag/bomb carriers are also tracked within those three slots as high-ranking threats similar to e.g. a Leviathan. (But then again, there shouldn't be such high-rated vehicles in VCTF.)
In other words, bots will report e.g. Goliaths and Hammerheads even on MTMU until the enemy Minotaur, Odin, Tiamat, Perses, etc. show up.

Next up would probably be the actual linking improvements. But there's hardly anything I could do about bad pathing, so improve those maps!
Old 07-10-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Binger

I would take the linking improvements over the vehicle reporting. Any progress on implementing that? Carpe raised the bot count back up so it would be very useful to make them work better without giving them Godlike aim.

Just having them touch the freaking node and link it would be a huge improvement. I will drive up to a node with a bot gunner and they won't get out to start the node. Then as soon as I jump out to touch the node they will jump out and walk away (or take the vehicle and drive away). Then after I build the node and get back in the vehicle I will go pick them up out in the middle of nowhere, if they haven't suicided first.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

At best i've seen the bots get out, walk up to the node i'm trying to build, then proceed to unload their link primary fire on the node while i'm trying to link.

When I command them to "cover me" they'll often just shoot me with the link primary fire instead of the alt fire
Old 07-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

If you do "cover me", they normally switch to the alt-fire after a couple of seconds of primary link fire... yes, the delay is very annoying. But... I actually find the bots are pretty reliable to try to start the node. So much so that it's easy to kill them. Bot goes to build node... fire at node with tank/splash damage, if it doesn't kill the bot... a second later the bot goes back to try and build the node... shoot again. My plan with bots is to let them start the node... and then link them. Only problem with that is that they are slow to start the node. They normally go to the node, start it, then run to the locker and then run back and then alt-fire the node. Kinda like a dog circling to go lie down.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 07-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Enyo
Getting there...

Every time I see a bot charging a node, and as soon as I try to link them, they quit charging the node and run off!
Old 07-14-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Every time I see a bot charging a node, and as soon as I try to link them, they quit charging the node and run off!
Maybe not all maps, I sometimes am able to get a bot charging, and I double it.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 07-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

I usually have to stop and restart charging sometimes more than once to make them finally link me
Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM   #11
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post
I usually have to stop and restart charging sometimes more than once to make them finally link me
Yeah, sometimes they'll link you, I rather link them.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner