Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 01-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Anyone play over wireless?

I recently moved and went from Hardwire to a newer USB wireless card. When I play occasionally it seems to lag me out...not sure if its me or the server, since i didn't see it too badly when hardwired.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
Pi

the fundamentals of WIFI are very different than wired ethernet. Basically in a wired connection if your computer wants to send data it can definitively know that the medium (the copper wire) is not being used by anything else directly attached to it and send data with confidence. WIFI is different because the medium (air) can be used by so many devices and only 1 can really speak at a time. Practically speaking this means that communications over wireless have both a higher overhead ("hay guys I'm gonna say somethin!") and a potential to fail-and-resend that wired connections don't. For most applications this doesn't make a difference because it's such a small amount of data and intermittent but with UDP-based first person shooters it's definitely noticeable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrie...ultiple_access
CSMACD vs CSMACA in the article

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 01-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #3
Turbo K
Community Veteran

I played on wifi for a month, and it was terrible. For about one second out of every ten, I would experience major lag/glitching. Switching to a wired connection solved the problem completely.
Old 01-30-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
McGimpkins
©

Poody, I would recommend getting something like this: TP-LINK TL-PA4010KIT AV500 Nano Powerline Adapter Starter Kit

Several years ago I tried to play UT on wireless and it was really not fun. I have several computers hooked up to these around the house to stream video, play video games, or just browsing the internet and I defiantly like them a lot more than WiFi.

In addition if you do not have an Ethernet port on your computer I would pick up one of these Plugable USB 2.0 to 10/100 Fast Ethernet LAN Wired Network Adapter to play UT with.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

if timely delivery of data packets is of concern (ie, a FPS), then wi-fi blows roapy goat chunks.

I install commercial ethernet for a living, and we always look back with amusement when it was asked
of us about 8 yrs ago:

"aren't you worried wireless will destroy your business ?"

Wi-fi can't hold a candle to the reliability of copper.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #6
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I use to play overy my 4g hotspot on my phone. But need to no longer. Wifi lag, p/l was horrendous. My weapons bar would disappear, my hud would go blank. Ping would spike to 900. I even got booted for consistantly high ping. So, I never recommend wifi ut fps.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

I play on wifi, partly because I just haven't bothered buying the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter I need since my macbook doesn't come standard with an ethernet port. Yeah, that's right, I play on a mac, and no I'm not a rabid fanboy... I'm a graphic designer and I just prefer mac OS over windows. Anyway, I've been playing on wifi over a year and it hasn't hindered gameplay at all, except when the wife and kids decide to get on netflix.

I know and understand the difference between wired and wireless and why wired will always be more reliable in terms of performance, but I've had good results over my wifi: 70-80 FPS and ping in the 30-40 range. Don't know about packet loss, haven't bothered checking since I experience very few lagging or freezing issues in game, even while others are experiencing those problems. I didn't expect wireless gameplay to be as smooth and consistent as it has, but if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm prob a rare case of success over wifi, though.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I play on wifi, partly because I just haven't bothered buying the thunderbolt to ethernet adapter I need since my macbook doesn't come standard with an ethernet port. Yeah, that's right, I play on a mac, and no I'm not a rabid fanboy... I'm a graphic designer and I just prefer mac OS over windows. Anyway, I've been playing on wifi over a year and it hasn't hindered gameplay at all, except when the wife and kids decide to get on netflix.
My setup and situation almost exactly (musician). Including Netflix lag.

I've always played over wireless. Actually, up until about three years ago I always played on my laptop with the trackpad and the ctrl button as my alt fire!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #9
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Well it turns out part of my problem was the AT&T line was NOT grounded at the connection--not like that's major or anything--only took 3 tech visits to find it...that was probably the majority of my issues, especially with pings going from 25 - 1600 ms or so and speed problems. I just need some time to test it out.

I have a wired connection on my computer, but this house has no wiring for it. I am moving in a few months, so I'll live with it for now.

Now, how did you get it running on MacBook? I've got a MBP and I'd love to get it running on there for when I travel.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...

I bought a legit Mac version of it about 8 or 9 years ago (hard to remember after that long - holy shit this game is old) at a Microcenter near my house. It was the only lonely little copy of the game sitting on a whole shelf all by itself under the Mac games section, calling to me like a siren's song. I think I paid $10. I had just started to learn the game at work... on a pirated copy my manager downloaded... cool boss . Well, kind of a dick for pirating, but cool enough to let a whole department of 5 guys play together after work ON work equipment (which were all Macs).

It was a needle that I wasn't even looking for in the haystack, but you can still find it on Amazon here: http://amzn.com/B0001AVSJQ

One caveat though. Originally I installed on my iMac, and when I installed from the disc, it did not work!!! Game would not even open, just got an error message. I had to download the damn game from a torrent site and use my legit CD key with it. So, I basically just paid for the key. I've since installed the game to my MBP from the same download.

If your MBP is anything like mine, it doesn't even have a DVD drive. So, even if you can install from the disc files you'll have to use another computer to transfer the .dmg file to a USB drive.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #11
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Thanks, yep no DVD, just have to copy them over from my Desktop.

On the wireless front played a bit yesterday and seemed ok, there was the occasional lag, but might be wireless, might be something else. Not much different than before. At least my pings generally stayed reasonable--reasonable enough for average play.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament