Map Issues - Requires Maintenance For all your map issues

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance

Old 11-08-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Default Unused dependencies in map

Hey! I hope this is the right forum to post an issue with some maps I'm having.

I'm trying to convert some StrikeForce maps to regular deathmatch. I attempted to remove all actors that the mod used (custom bot path actors, pickups, etc.) that aren't necessary in stock deathmatch, but for some reason, the game asks for those unnecessary files anyway when loading. Although I have no issue adding said files, I would like to keep download time down, especially when all of these extra files add up to over 150MB.

To clarify, I'm not talking about custom static mesh and texture packages, but .u files containing HUD, weapons, etc. Thank you.

Last edited by Anonymous[Lolz]; 11-08-2015 at 11:42 PM..
Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Wormbo
Wormlike

Do a full rebuild and save. Open the resulting file in UTPT to find out, which objects from those additional packages it depends on: Go to the Import Tree and perform a Collapse All. Then expand the packages in question to see what objects are still in use.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:28 AM   #3
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Thank you for your response, Wormbo.

I looked in the Import Tree tab and found the offenders. I used the Actor Search feature in the editor and couldn't find them, so I pasted the objects into the level, right-clicked and pressed "select all X" and deleted them; however, these two objects still remained in the level after checking again. Any ideas there?
Old 11-14-2015, 02:34 AM   #4
Wormbo
Wormlike

Not without some more details.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:49 PM   #5
Turbo K
Community Veteran

I've had the same issue as Anonymous in certain ONS maps where .u files I've embedded are stuck in the map even after purging all unused files.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:21 PM   #6
Binger

Forgive my ignorance with this shot in the dark but if they are embedded and not actually visible in the map then what about copying everything in an Ortho viewport and then pasting into a new map? I've heard that once something is myleveled it can be difficult to remove.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Forgive my ignorance with this shot in the dark but if they are embedded and not actually visible in the map then what about copying everything in an Ortho viewport and then pasting into a new map? I've heard that once something is myleveled it can be difficult to remove.
That could work. I've never tried it before.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Holy shit it worked Thank you very much. Thanks for your help everyone, and to Wormbo, the UTPT tool is definitely an excellent one.

Too bad the terrain somehow pasted a few units below everything else
Old 11-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #9
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Holy shit it worked Thank you very much. Thanks for your help everyone, and to Wormbo, the UTPT tool is definitely an excellent one.

Too bad the terrain somehow pasted a few units below everything else
The terrain may be off by 32 uus in both axes of the Ortho view-port. Actually, I thought everything would be. Unfortunately the terrain doesn't snap to grid when moving but if you set your grid to 32 and zoom way in when moving the actor you can get it pretty close.

Last edited by Binger; 11-15-2015 at 12:27 AM..
Old 11-30-2015, 03:24 PM   #10
Binger

Quote:
Unfortunately the terrain doesn't snap to grid when moving...
I just realized that it is set this way by default but that it can be changed in it's properties. I just wanted to clear that up.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:56 PM   #11
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Thanks Some maps crashed when I tried to build them after copy and pasting so into the map chest they went.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 PM   #12
Binger

Quote:
Thanks Some maps crashed when I tried to build them after copy and pasting so into the map chest they went.
Do they crash if you do a build on the original map?

Before building look for anything that doesn't belong in Onslaught and delete it. Maybe try to delete all the volumes. If all you have are BSP and static meshes you shouldn't get a crash so you could try reducing the map to just that. I'm pretty sure copy/paste is only going to copy things you can actually see in the map. Start with the original, rename it, then delete things until you can get it to build after copy/paste. Oh, and don't copy the zone info actors. That has given me problems before. Just BSP and static meshes.

Edit. Oops, I meant regular DM, not Onslaught.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:26 PM   #13
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Do they crash if you do a build on the original map?

Before building look for anything that doesn't belong in Onslaught and delete it. Maybe try to delete all the volumes. If all you have are BSP and static meshes you shouldn't get a crash so you could try reducing the map to just that. I'm pretty sure copy/paste is only going to copy things you can actually see in the map. Start with the original, rename it, then delete things until you can get it to build after copy/paste. Oh, and don't copy the zone info actors. That has given me problems before. Just BSP and static meshes.

Edit. Oops, I meant regular DM, not Onslaught.
It crashes when I try to build geometry.

You're right about renaming, I think it doesn't happen if you rename and save first, and then start editing. I can't confirm it though, but some sequence seemed to have worked for the other few maps I did.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Binger

Quote:
It crashes when I try to build geometry.
That's weird. Is that on the original, before you copy and paste or change anything? A test to see if it's a brush that is causing problems might be to select one brush then right-click and "Select All Brush". Right-click the first brush again then copy those, then click "New Map". Right-click in new map and paste to original location then build. That should give you the added/subtracted geometry brushes and zone portal brushes but no volume brushes. It works for me with no renaming or saving.

The reason I say no volumes is because when I was trying to convert RobotFactory to Onslaught it would crash on build after I renamed it with the ONS- prefix. I fixed that by deleting volumes that were for the Assault game-type.

Quote:
You're right about renaming, I think it doesn't happen if you rename and save first, and then start editing. I can't confirm it though, but some sequence seemed to have worked for the other few maps I did.
It shouldn't matter. I only suggested renaming so that you didn't change and overwrite the original map.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:11 AM   #15
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
That's weird. Is that on the original, before you copy and paste or change anything? A test to see if it's a brush that is causing problems might be to select one brush then right-click and "Select All Brush". Right-click the first brush again then copy those, then click "New Map". Right-click in new map and paste to original location then build. That should give you the added/subtracted geometry brushes and zone portal brushes but no volume brushes. It works for me with no renaming or saving.

The reason I say no volumes is because when I was trying to convert RobotFactory to Onslaught it would crash on build after I renamed it with the ONS- prefix. I fixed that by deleting volumes that were for the Assault game-type.
Ah, it worked. The map builds fine without the volumes now, which is strange. Thank you.

Quote:
It shouldn't matter. I only suggested renaming so that you didn't change and overwrite the original map.
I forgot to mention that the default gametype was set to a sf gametype, so that's possibly what was demanding the sf files. In this case, I believe it should've mattered.
Old 12-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Binger

Quote:
Ah, it worked. The map builds fine without the volumes now, which is strange. Thank you.

Quote:
I forgot to mention that the default gametype was set to a sf gametype, so that's possibly what was demanding the sf files. In this case, I believe it should've mattered.
That makes sense. I still haven't figured out why sometimes changing the prefix of the filename will change the default gametype and other times it won't.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance