Map Issues - Requires Maintenance For all your map issues

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance

Old 02-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #1
Wormbo
Wormlike

Default Spider mines lag issues

Since people often want the mines removed with lag as the only reason, how about actually fixing the lag? I'm pretty sure that can be done without making to many behavioral modifications (or any at all) to the weapon and projectiles.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
GlueEater
Getting there...

I don't think I've ever seen any good players use spidermines. They are just another method of helping bad players kill someone. Nothing says your a b*tch like throwing down mines during a fight.

Last edited by GlueEater; 02-11-2014 at 05:40 PM..
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post
I don't think I've ever seen any good players use spidermines. They are just another method of helping bad players kill someone. Nothing says your a b*tch like throwing down mines during a fight.
We were all bad players at some point in time.
As we learn then we move away from the inherent limitations of some of the lesser weapons and towards ones that require more skill and are more effective.
But those lesser weapons are still important in the scheme of things.
I wouldn't want to play with only sniper rifles and lightning guns any more than I want to play endless rounds of Minus-MinoMeUp

I deploy spider mines as you would a regular mine field in war, as an area denial weapon.
If you are throwing spider mines in the middle of melee with a good player then you are as good as dead.
Although eight of them attached to a manta are a nice shock-and-awe tactic (I'm looking at you, Hardspike)!
Old 02-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
Wormbo
Wormlike

Spiders on a manta? That's a new one to me.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Terminator
Getting there...

I like the grenade launcher... Take a Manta and plant grenades on it, drive until you find an enemy on foot, get out of the manta and let them think they gain the upper hand by allowing them to hijack the manta... As soon as they get in, blow em up, do a quick LOL @ them... Repeat with a different enemy.

Agree with GE. Spider mines are annoying, especially when all 8 are chasing you. While the enemy is targeting where the Spiders go, I just shoot them since they are defenseless and can't fire back. A combo will kill the spiders as they are being ejected from the gun which will do damage to the enemy. Also, allowing the spiders to chase you to a wall and doing a wall dodge works. Laying spider mines is not a good tactic to do during a ground combat yet some do it. Now it does work as Flounder said, planting them around unlocked nodes. What makes me angry is when Spider mines are planted at locked nodes so when you spawn, you are dead before you get the chance to react.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:39 PM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
Spiders on a manta? That's a new one to me.
Old Manta Whore trick. Load up 8x spiders onto your Manta, skulk around, do a big jump and come
down right on top of a Goliath. All the mines jump off and freak the Goliath operator out, as you are
wailin' on him with your plasma ! I got a pic of my Manta loaded up with them in here somewhere...

Old 02-11-2014, 11:02 PM   #7
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Old Manta Whore trick. Load up 8x spiders onto your Manta, skulk around, do a big jump and come
down right on top of a Goliath. All the mines jump off and freak the Goliath operator out, as you are
wailin' on him with your plasma ! I got a pic of my Manta loaded up with them in here somewhere...
Do you put them on the wings or the front?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #8
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
Do you put them on the wings or the front?
On the wings.
And if you have lots of free time, you can stick a grenade to each spider mine for twice the damage.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
On the wings.
And if you have lots of free time, you can stick a grenade to each spider mine for twice the damage.
There is a sweet spot on the nose of the manta where the mines will stick but they will blow up if you are even a little off.

I used to love sticking 8 spider mines on the manta in Urban and making trouble!

They are somewhat effective in Battlefront as well but that map is frustrating.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Battlefront is where I first saw them effectively used that way. Tank on the banks keeping the node down... Manta swoops in... blam! tank gone. The other one was a Manta flown into one of the middle node bunkers, guy ejects and lets it slide into the crowd that was inside defending the node... spiders jump off and kill almost everyone (except the one or two that got run over by the sliding Manta). It was a pretty sweet trick!
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Sir Dave
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post

Damn, you need to get out more. Not in a direct fight, I agree. But the manta example or if you've got some bitchy PITA sniper you can't spot, they're very useful.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:43 PM   #12
Beth

I highly doubt that spider mines cause the lag in a game. I think its cause a lot of players don't like them! Poor spider mines.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
I highly doubt that spider mines cause the lag in a game. I think its cause a lot of players don't like them! Poor spider mines.
They do Beth. There is a thread somewhere in here that explains how dramatically Spider Mines impact
a servers performance when they are over-used. It's not conjecture. It's fact. I wish I could find that
thread to reference, but I can't and don't have the time to find the damned thing. Goose might have it
bookmarked...

Old 02-22-2014, 09:49 AM   #14
G-Force
Insider

ZOMG LIES!! Spider mines are the awesomeest weapon EVVEEEEEERRRRRRRR

*bad players huh COUGH show them we will precious COUGH*

*primes lightning gun an shock gun* *Flak an rockets oiled an ready*

Shit just got real

sig by Necro
Send a message via ICQ to G-Force Send a message via MSN to G-Force Send a message via Yahoo to G-Force G-Force is offline  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I love the dance of evasion, while trying to kill my enemy-at-the-moment. I also enjoy the manta experience. I think they are useful. I can see where they might pose a lag issue, as the planting, tied to person-in-motion, memory issue at time-of-death for mine-layer. I will miss them.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner > Map Issues - Requires Maintenance