Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Default ONS-Dria-Gorz-2016

Turbo has been at it again, modifying and working for your pleasure.

New (and improved?) for 2016 is Dria. On server and redirect. Available for download here.

TK will give you all a brief synopsis of the changes shortly.

Thanks for your continued allegiance, work and time Turbo. And as usual, a shoutout to WMD40
for his most excellent (Canadianism there) attempts to break Turbo's creations.

CD

Old 04-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #2
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Played it and was great just still wishing for a teleport pad in the base by the vehicles, really sucks to have to run all the way over to the core to teleport
Old 04-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Changes:

- Mino has been replaced by a fire tank
- The center nodes are now connected to each other
- Falcon respawn times are the same for both sides now that there is no Mino to take advantage of the uneven terrain

If the Firetank has gunners who know what they're doing, it can be a very powerful vehicle, but without the splash damage of the Mino.

I submitted this to The Wrecking Crew before the Nuclear Strike Painter issue came up, so nothing has changed on that part. Let's see how it plays without a Mino, and with the new node connections, then I can do an update at the beginning of summer. I'm still not sure if linking the corner nodes would have been better than the center ones.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Changes:

- Falcon respawn times are the same for both sides now that there is no Mino to take advantage of the uneven terrain

If the Firetank has gunners who know what they're doing, it can be a very powerful vehicle, but without the splash damage of the Mino.

I submitted this to The Wrecking Crew before the Nuclear Strike Painter issue came up, so nothing has changed on that part. Let's see how it plays without a Mino, and with the new node connections, then I can do an update at the beginning of summer. I'm still not sure if linking the corner nodes would have been better than the center ones.
THANK YOU! I would love to see if this plays out where everyone agrees that it is very doable.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
D_B_X
For Victory - 1 & 2 Dria!

Quote:
Changes:

As a Dria purist and someone who has helped you and Gorz along in making good changes to this map, I think it might take a while to get used to both of these changes, especially now that 1 and 2 no longer link to each other (making my forum title a little obsolete now), but the replacement for the Mino seems to be a good one, I noticed as I tried it on Instant Action that it is the 2nd gen FT with the nicer alt-fire/smokescreen. I'm also glad to see the NSP's are still there. I'll hopefully be here when it's being played.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B_X View Post
As a Dria purist and someone who has helped you and Gorz along in making good changes to this map, I think it might take a while to get used to both of these changes, especially now that 1 and 2 no longer link to each other (making my forum title a little obsolete now), but the replacement for the Mino seems to be a good one, I noticed as I tried it on Instant Action that it is the 2nd gen FT with the nicer alt-fire/smokescreen. I'm also glad to see the NSP's are still there. I'll hopefully be here when it's being played.
Thanks, I look forward to your feedback after the map is played on a full server a few times.

The new link setup should make for some interesting results. I'm hoping for some good fights on the bridges.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #7
D_B_X

We just finished the first match of the new Dria. The first comment I saw was "where's the mino?" followed by "sucks".

BUT, it was a learning experience. I was on blue and we took the first 2 pts in 4 minutes. Not unusual even on the original version. Then Red took 1 followed by 2. I had a GPF which took me out of the action for about 30 seconds.

So instead of 1 and 2, the focus is now 5 and 10. The corner nodes get a bit more action now. Also new ways to isolate.

We had around 20 at the start but the numbers dropped near the end to less than 10. I can't make any judgement calls on it now but I'll continue to play it when it comes up.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:11 PM   #8
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
We just finished the first match of the new Dria. The first comment I saw was "where's the mino?" followed by "sucks".

BUT, it was a learning experience. I was on blue and we took the first 2 pts in 4 minutes. Not unusual even on the original version. Then Red took 1 followed by 2. I had a GPF which took me out of the action for about 30 seconds.

So instead of 1 and 2, the focus is now 5 and 10. The corner nodes get a bit more action now. Also new ways to isolate.

We had around 20 at the start but the numbers dropped near the end to less than 10. I can't make any judgement calls on it now but I'll continue to play it when it comes up.
Interesting. Only one guy gets to drive the Mino on a team of 16, so I'm not sure why so many people would be upset about it being gone. I'm wondering if only changing one variable at a time (Mino or 5-10 linkage) would have been a better idea.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:09 PM   #9
D_B_X

That was the only comment I saw on that, otherwise no other opinions in-game. I was a bit disoriented at first with the new layout, but I know I'll get used to it. I think once it gets a full server it should be a better way to see how the map really plays.

What is the difference between the regular Badger and the Mark II that I saw at 1 & 2? I'll admit I probably don't play other maps that feature it.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
What is the difference between the regular Badger and the Mark II that I saw at 1 & 2? I'll admit I probably don't play other maps that feature it.
My understanding is the Mk II badgers have weaker minigun fire, but stronger tank cannons.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 PM   #11
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
My understanding is the Mk II badgers have weaker minigun fire, but stronger tank cannons.
The mkII Badgers have a weaker minigun fire against vehicles and nodes, but do the same damage against infantry. Their grenades have less momentum, and the cannons are the same. They also don't eject their drivers or gunners through the ground.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:49 PM   #12
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
The mkII Badgers have a weaker minigun fire against vehicles and nodes, but do the same damage against infantry. Their grenades have less momentum, and the cannons are the same. They also don't eject their drivers or gunners through the ground.
I thought the trick to safely eject oneself from the badger is by jumping on exit? or pointing in a direction that seems |up| upon exiting? Albeit a few times I do forget and fall through the map. Isn't there a standard exiting procedure to safely avoid being ejected through the ground that I'm missing?
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 04-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I thought the trick to safely eject oneself from the badger is by jumping on exit? or pointing in a direction that seems |up| upon exiting? Albeit a few times I do forget and fall through the map. Isn't there a standard exiting procedure to safely avoid being ejected through the ground that I'm missing?
Pro tip dude! I will have to remember that when on Dria and the few others that suffer from badger I fell through the terrain death.

Andrew
Old 04-19-2016, 03:19 PM   #14
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Pro tip dude! I will have to remember that when on Dria and the few others that suffer from badger I fell through the terrain death.

Andrew
Thanks, Let Me Know If It Works Out?
Old 04-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #15
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Thanks, Let Me Know If It Works Out?
With no doubt!

A
Old 04-20-2016, 01:17 AM   #16
Wormbo
Wormlike

Quote:
I somehow doubt this will work, but then again, jumping on exit probably has no significant drawbacks either.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
SMOKER
Up in Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
I somehow doubt this will work, but then again, jumping on exit probably has no significant drawbacks either.
I thought the same Wormbo, but for some reason it does seem to work Bob Smith and HOC Terminator told me the trick years ago when I first started playing and it does work. Every once in awhile It looks like I almost fall through the map as I jump but make it onto the terrain anyway. Every once in awhile it doesn't work but the tip did dramatically drop the percentage of falling through the map for me at least. I have also noticed it happens more when the badger is slightly off balanced due to terrain, now I am NOT a map maker or anything so this theory is probably is tripe but it seems like when the vehicle is slightly unbalanced and you exit your foot kinda starts under the floor and you fall through, if that makes sense? But again I know nothing about map making so this is just a dumb ass theory. But again it does work but never knew the look up method and may try that.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKER View Post
I thought the same Wormbo, but for some reason it does seem to work Bob Smith and HOC Terminator told me the trick years ago when I first started playing and it does work. Every once in awhile It looks like I almost fall through the map as I jump but make it onto the terrain anyway. Every once in awhile it doesn't work but the tip did dramatically drop the percentage of falling through the map for me at least. I have also noticed it happens more when the badger is slightly off balanced due to terrain, now I am NOT a map maker or anything so this theory is probably is tripe but it seems like when the vehicle is slightly unbalanced and you exit your foot kinda starts under the floor and you fall through, if that makes sense? But again I know nothing about map making so this is just a dumb ass theory. But again it does work but never knew the look up method and may try that.
Wormbo, is there a collision box, or some sort of exterior parameter that beyond the geometry, a "gui code" is necessary, that, IF, either tighter or something, would allow a clean egress of player from the badger, or, are these bad-fall-throughs due how the engine handles entry point (Origin, 0,0,0 related?) of the vehicle? I'm not hip at all with the way the engine handles vehicular entry mind you.

(BTW, egress of Hammerhead, I treat the same way, I can if, timing it right, unless there are different Hammerhead versions(?), end up walking ontop the hammerhead).

Thanks for the confirmation Smoker!

Last edited by Sumugan; 04-20-2016 at 02:51 PM.. Reason: pardon my even worse grammatical construction points
Old 04-21-2016, 02:39 PM   #19
Binger

Quote:
Wormbo, is there a collision box, or some sort of exterior parameter that beyond the geometry, a "gui code" is necessary, that, IF, either tighter or something, would allow a clean egress of player from the badger, or, are these bad-fall-throughs due how the engine handles entry point (Origin, 0,0,0 related?) of the vehicle? I'm not hip at all with the way the engine handles vehicular entry mind you.

Read what Turbo says in post #11. It is fixed with the MkII badger but there are differences in the weapons.

The reason players fall through the map when exiting the badger is because the exits on the badger are set at ground level and occasionally that makes the player fall through the map. It is in the script for that particular vehicle and is easy to change.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Read what Turbo says in post #11. It is fixed with the MkII badger but there are differences in the weapons.

The reason players fall through the map when exiting the badger is because the exits on the badger are set at ground level and occasionally that makes the player fall through the map. It is in the script for that particular vehicle and is easy to change.
I'm still kind of new to forum thread posts, and the reference to #11 isn't a hot link, and am unsure how to search/querry/navigate to what #11 actually may mean in this thread, or some post promoted or delineated?

Sorry in advance.

So Binger, you meant this thread, #11, is a post by Turbo-K. Got it. Thanks.

Last edited by Sumugan; 04-21-2016 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Understanding Directions

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught