Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
0thello
Just Registered

UT2k4 The final(?) farewell from 0thello :(

To all my UT friends at Omnipotents and elsewhere,

Well, this stinks. As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been playing UT2k4 these last few months. No, I haven't been playing under different names, nor had I (until now) switched to another multi-player game. Last August, shortly after the summer tournament, I was banned by Epic. I still don't know why, because despite SEVERAL attempts to contact them, they have not responded. Not even once. I followed the instructions on the ban notice, sent in the proper numbers and identifiers, tried several times, and have waited over three months, but every attempt has been met with total silence -- no response whatsoever. I still don't even know why it happened.

Yes, perhaps I could have gotten through somehow. Maybe I should have asked on the Omnipotents ban forum (even though the notice says the ban is from Epic, and I'm still able to connect to Omnip through the "favorites" menu). Maybe I should have just shrugged it off and paid a few bucks and gotten another UT2k4 CD. Maybe I should have kept playing anyway, using only the servers on my favorites list.

The problem, however, is that online gaming is the closest thing I have to a team sport. It's a major investment of time for me, especially when team tournaments come into play. I very much enjoyed the summer tournament at Omnipotents, donated money to the server, and had hopes of doing even more team tournaments in UT3. What if the ban appeared a little sooner, in the middle of the summer playoffs? Was I supposed to just wait a few weeks while Epic decides if they'll deign fit to even acknowledge my e-mail? As my stats page shows, I've put a LOT of time into UT2k4, not including the time spent practicing in preparation for team events. Epic has ripped away access to the game, probably on the basis of an mistaken accusation, but won't even respond when I follow their instructions to file an appeal. That might be tolerable for a casual video game, but it is totally unacceptable for a league sport.

Fortunately, there are other games out there. Halo 3 has a strong appeal, and Steam offers a lot of interesting alternatives as well. I fully realize that people have been unfairly banned at times from these games, but it hasn't happened to me, and I would hope that Microsoft and Valve would at least take the time to explain what happened when someone follows the instructions for an appeal. Maybe I'm wrong and the other companies are even worse than Epic. Maybe UT3 is so much better than the others that it's worth the risk of another mystery ban. Maybe.

For now, however, I've decided that I will not be buying UT3. Maybe I'll change my mind later, but I really can't see myself putting in all that time and effort to learn the UT3 system, practice my skills in that system, and maybe even help develop maps. I'd always have the fear that it will be taken away again, and all my time will be wasted, with no chance to appeal -- not even a chance to find out why.

Farewell, UT, and thanks for the memories. And demo files. Thanks especially to the many others I've had the pleasure of playing with over the years. Have fun, God bless you & yours, and may you have a great time with UT3. I might stop by again sometime to see how UT3 turned out, but even if I don't, thanks much to all for everything. It's been (un)real.

--William L. Dye ("willdye", "0thello", "Darth Fudd", "Boba Fudd", and many others...)

BarbecuedIguana -at- gmail <DoT> com
Old 11-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Rugal

Are you banned from everything, including offline play? If so, you might be able to sue them unless there is some clause that gives them full authority to do so.
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'
Old 11-19-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Solace
Getting there...

That's weird, I got randomly banned from all online play from Epic once, I did what it said to appeal it and they fixed it in under 6 hours. Sorry I don't know how to make that happen for you, though...

(\/)
(^.^)
(> <)
U U
Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM   #4
Big_Al_B
I Hate This Map

Wow that sucks man, very strange they wouldn't respond.
Hope to see ya in UT3 anyways.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
democracy
CantSeeStraight

-100 Points for Epic that is lame. and another -50 Points for combining Assault and Onslaught. but thats a whole different subject. Hope to see you around UT3 Othello.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:50 PM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by democracy View Post
and another -50 Points for combining Assault and Onslaught. but thats a whole different subject..
can't speak definitively yet.. but I think I will agree.

Othello.. my favourite bot-player. That sucks man. Hope you get past it and come join your friends again... some things are worth turning the other cheek for... know what I mean ?

peace,

Carpe

Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
OMFGBALLZ
gets laid

PEACE OUT
Old 11-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #8
TheSage
Shredder of Reality

If you have played on other servers, it is possible that you joined a server that uses certain packages, allowing them access to your CD key. This is often then used for cheating, and hence the global ban. The global ban is pretty much only ever used on aimbotters, and so this is the most likely scenario.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
-Goose-
Getting there...

I think I might be able to help, check your pms.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM   #10
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
I think I might be able to help, check your pms.
whoa there.... check your own pms (I know it's juvenile, but someone was gonna say it)

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 11-20-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
hardspike
Server Admin

Dude, don't leave. Just buy another copy. Here's on for $15.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:15 PM   #12
democracy
CantSeeStraight

actually, with my copy of UT3 i got the UT Anthology that came with Unreal, Unreal Game of The Year Edition, Unreal 2 The Awakening and UT2K4. it may just have been a deal with the store but you might look somewhere and see if there is similiar deals where you are. i didnt even have to pay extra for it either.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:46 PM   #13
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
(I know it's juvenile, but someone was gonna say it)
No, Pi, just you.
Just you.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM   #14
OMFGBALLZ
gets laid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Dude, don't leave. Just buy another copy. Here's on for $15.
you can buy a brand new one from ebgames for $10
Old 11-21-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
0thello
Just Registered

UT2k4

Thanks for the links, but getting another copy of 2k4 was never the issue. Like I said in the post, the problem is the time investment in what I regard to be my team sport. Just the hours each week that I used to spend on these forums was a pretty big chunk of my free time. Spending $20 or so for another copy is nothing -- heck, I donated $40 to the server just to be nice, and planned on donating another $60+ to help Q prepare for UT3. Online gaming is cheap compared to alternatives like golf, scuba diving, and Texas Hold 'Em, so cash isn't the problem. Besides, I'd probably have switched to UT3 if I'd decided to stay with the UT system, so even a free copy of 2k4 wouldn't help.

As for what made them think I was aimbotting, yeah it could have been a particular server or downloaded mods, but it's hard to say unless Epic tells me why they did it. I don't mind that Epic tries to control aimbotting -- that's a good thing overall, despite the hazards of occasional false detections. What made me quit is that they never bothered to reply even once when I followed their instructions for an appeal. Imagine the NCAA kicking a player out of the stadium in the middle of the college football season, and never explaining the action to anyone -- not even to the player. You just can't run a league like that and expect to attract serious players and teams -- especially not when there are other leagues available.

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone. Only time will tell if I decide to come back anyway. So far, Halo 3 isn't working out as well as I'd hoped, though Team Fortress is kind of interesting. I just wish it had vehicles...
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #16
democracy
CantSeeStraight

i say we all start emailing Epic untill one of us gets a reply or start a petition of sorts. cause im sure if we tried hard enough we can get there attention.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #17
hardspike
Server Admin

So you think they saw your request and said "screw him"? There could be one hundred other possible explanations besides that one. Those might include:
- system glitch that caused your request to get lost.
- computer crash of the human assigned to your case
- the worker who's responsibility it was to respond was sick, his grandmother died, or maybe he was psychotic and just randomly deletes requests.

There have been reports in this thread of Epic responding. It sounds like your experience is the exception.

Sounds like you made on attempt and didn't get a response so you're just giving up.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:30 PM   #18
-Goose-
Getting there...

Did you even read his post? Here, I'll make it easy for you:

Well, this stinks. As some of you may have noticed, I haven't been playing UT2k4 these last few months. No, I haven't been playing under different names, nor had I (until now) switched to another multi-player game. Last August, shortly after the summer tournament, I was banned by Epic. I still don't know why, because despite SEVERAL attempts to contact them, they have not responded. Not even once. I followed the instructions on the ban notice, sent in the proper numbers and identifiers, tried several times, and have waited over three months, but every attempt has been met with total silence -- no response whatsoever. I still don't even know why it happened.

I'd be pissed off too...
Old 11-23-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Paminators Hubby
Server Sponsor

Goose ... the same thing happened to you too?????
Old 11-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #20
ARsEnAl51
WOOTAN MUTHAFUCKA WOOTAN!!

He only reposted, without using the quote tags, a part of 0thello's post.

As far as I know, even if it's a negative or somewhat copy/pasted one, Epic usually gives an answer... heck, they banned me simply for having the same ISP than BFH and I got the ban lifted in less than 3-4 hours...

Quote:
Jesus had so much lag it took him 3 days to respawn.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught