Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 08-11-2014, 08:29 PM   #1
Binger

Default Onslaught version of DM-Goliath

I duplicated the whole map and spun it around. I'm not sure about the best place to join them. I chose the place I did because it seemed to need the least amount of brush editing. I think it would be good with some Mantas and maybe one Ion tank per side at the core.

The center of this pic is where I joined them.

I can put a short tunnel at the top of this lift...

that can connect to right here.

A path for vehicles can be made over that pit and other places.

So far I've just thrown this together to see if I can make it work. It would be easy to put in some cores and nodes but I think it would need some work on the flow for players on foot. There are some paths that don't really go anywhere. That's works in DM but I think it would be frustrating here.

So, any comments?
Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Turbo K
Community Veteran

This could work out nicely. The map is kind of large for DM.

Dead-end pathways aren't always a bad thing in non-DM gametypes. You can always put things like pickups, vehicles, or teleporters in them.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
Wormbo
Wormlike

This is a bit of a crazy idea, but IMHO even twice the Goliath space may be too small for Onslaught. (The kind played on Omni, anyway.) So how about taking not two but four copies, each rotated by 90 degrees and connected to two other copies via geometry and the existing teleporters?

The copies could be connected along the red lines somehow. Blue dots mark the existing teleporter locations.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #4
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Is this to be a foot soldier only ONS map Bing ? I can't fathom how anything other than
Manta's and Raptors can get around on it.

And nice Wormie !

Old 08-12-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
Binger

Yeah, Carpe, that's something I'm considering. I would like to keep the DM style of play but I really want to drive an Ion tank around in it. Maybe just a couple of Mantas (Rampage style?) and a Bender or Hound. I don't think any actual flyers would work well. You would be limited to the top of the walls by the blocking volume that's there, which isn't very high. To raise that would require a lot of editing around the edge of the map to make it look good from the air, since it wasn't originally made for that. I haven't tried it out with any vehicles yet so I don't even really have an idea of how the scale of things will feel with vehicles. I haven't even put in cores and nodes yet. I want to just make a simple (so I might actually finish) DM style ONS map and then go from there as far as vehicles, but like I said, I think an Ion tank might work. I can make some good paths for it to get around. I do want to make sure there is good flow for players on foot, with a combo of easy paths and some slightly off path pickups and teleporters like Turbo mentioned.

Turbo's comment about it being a large map reminded me that the couple of times I played it in the past I thought the same thing (maybe it's the name) but then when I opened it in the editor and started looking I realized it was small for an Onslaught map, like Wormbo said.

I did think about your suggestion, Wormbo. I tried every combo I could think of, even stacking them on top of each other. I really like the tech look of this map and wanted to do something with it but if I get too involved in brush editing I know I won't finish it. In the end I decided to go with the easist option. Also, I can't think of any other maps that are made up of four identical parts. Most are just two. I think it might be too much of the same thing. If you want to work that out then please do. I don't care who does this or how it gets done, I just want to play it. I'm getting an invisible surface issue when running around in the map, something that I cannot get to show in the editor. When I get that worked out I'm going to try to connect two parts where you have the red line at the bottom of the map. That was my orignal idea but it's going to take more work. I like the idea of the center of the map being in the area that's open to the sky. I can take out sections of that wall to make it more open.

The idea I like the best but that would require the most work is to duplicate once and connect the two sections, then expand that to the sides with just parts of the map.

Okay, so I just looked and a two part version of Goliath would probably not be even as big as Bitchslap. A four part or expanded two part might be needed.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
VadersFisting
Getting there...

I have a hard time seeing a map that encourages infantry travel/combat being very successful on the server to be honest. :/
Old 08-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
McGimpkins

I think you should stick a Kraken in the map .

In all seriousness, we do play Bridge Of Fate every once in a while. I am interested to see what you come up with Binger. You can always stick a badger in it...
Old 08-13-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadersFisting View Post
I have a hard time seeing a map that encourages infantry travel/combat being very successful on the server to be honest. :/
The truth.

Over the years there have been four or five attempts at an infantry specific map, all of them have been
miserable failures. In fact, even maps with stock or close to stock vehicles have failed. Players want
to sit back, press a button and annihilate half the enemies at once. We've had that discussion one beelion times !

Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
VadersFisting
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Players want
to sit back, press a button and annihilate half the enemies at once. We've had that discussion one beelion times !
Oh! That reminds me, when are we gonna get that Nuclear Strike Painter on Dria?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #10
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
BIATCH !!

Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #11
Binger

Quote:
How are your mapping skills? Go for it.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:21 PM   #12
VadersFisting
Getting there...

Mapping skills? Me?
Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #13
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
BIATCH !!
Speaking of which, it verily boggles the mind that there are a million edits of Dria that add all kinds of stupidly powerful toys, but almost none (maybe stones, I forget) that fix the asymmetry that gives one side a clear advantage.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
-Goose-
Getting there...

Quote:
In all seriousness, we do play Bridge Of Fate every once in a while.
Speaking of Bridge... the version currently on the server is awful. It has teleporters from one side to the other which completely negate the "bridge".

It always devolves into a DM FFA at one side's primaries, which are generally not recoverable. ZZZ.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
Speaking of Bridge... the version currently on the server is awful. It has teleporters from one side to the other which completely negate the "bridge".

It always devolves into a DM FFA at one side's primaries, which are generally not recoverable. ZZZ.
There used to be another version with Badgers and no teleporters on the server. I wonder what happened to it.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:24 PM   #16
Binger

Quote:
Mapping skills? Me?
My skills are pretty low. Putting in a nuke painter is easy but it took me six months to replace the Dragon that took Wormbo like a day to fix so I don't know... http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14233

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Speaking of which, it verily boggles the mind that there are a million edits of Dria that add all kinds of stupidly powerful toys, but almost none (maybe stones, I forget) that fix the asymmetry that gives one side a clear advantage.
I looked at that. It would be very difficult. You can't make this map symmetrical without redoing half of the terrain and moving everything that goes on it. You can start moving stuff around but one thing leads to another and it will never be truly balanced.
Old 08-16-2014, 03:27 PM   #17
Binger

Quote:
Quote:
The truth.

Over the years there have been four or five attempts at an infantry specific map, all of them have been
miserable failures. In fact, even maps with stock or close to stock vehicles have failed. Players want
Oh you doubters. Think Masterbath or Bitchslap.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #18
McGimpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
There used to be another version with Badgers and no teleporters on the server. I wonder what happened to it.
Send a PM to Carpe, he is the "keeper of the maps"

Old 08-23-2014, 05:21 AM   #19
iggy
Just Registered

oh man, see, i was looking fro non ons maps to convert to ons maps, and this one was i was trying to work on, i guess ill delete it now .
Original maps coming soon, also, i found a website of maps, assuming thats where most of these came from, i wanted to convert an existing popular map, tho one that isnt already in rotation, to a )O(, with all the nice vehicles we've come to know and love.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy View Post
oh man, see, i was looking fro non ons maps to convert to ons maps, and this one was i was trying to work on, i guess ill delete it now .
Original maps coming soon, also, i found a website of maps, assuming thats where most of these came from, i wanted to convert an existing popular map, tho one that isnt already in rotation, to a )O(, with all the nice vehicles we've come to know and love.
What have you done with Goliath? Don't delete it. I haven't done much yet. I'm getting a weird glitch of invisible surfaces. The only thing I can think of is that it is something to do with duplicating an edited brush, like it's remembering the old brush shape, but even that doesn't fit quit right.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner