Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #41
Beth

Why doesn't everyone (except us admins) learn how to deal with the voice chat ASSHATS or just use the mute button (it does work). I have been playing on this server since 2007 and just for shits and giggles I have managed to keep many many screenshots of horrific disgusting and X rated typos from many many asshats.... but I chose not to report or do anything about it. Once in a while I go into those folders and read them just to have a good laugh.

You see you really have to be better than (those who shall be nameless) certain people. I can just play while (he/she) is spewing out things and totally block them out so none of their crap really bothers me. I know also that it gets so old listening to the same BS from the same ASS BUTTS but after 6 years you either get use to it or you quit. Most of us play for fun but from what I have heard lately a lot play because they don't really have anything else to do. It means more to some people to rant and belittle others to make them feel more superior. As I said I have been up here for the past 6.5 years so I know what nodes to get so you people trying to be our commanders telling us where to go just do us a favor STFU and go where YOUR supposed to go.

I really think certain players ego just gets up to a much higher level when they THINK they are in charge of all of us. Just remember we don't play TDM here we play AS A TEAM which means we play TOGETHER TO WIN. Whew ok I ranted my opinion here. NEXT.......

P.S oh and Carpe just clarifying for you.... this is about the rant on voice chat so it goes with this post nothing else needed to say here. I have no issues mmmmmkk

Old 11-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #42
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post

P.S oh and Carpe just clarifying for you.... this is about the rant on voice chat so it goes with this post nothing else needed to say here. I have no issues mmmmmkk
LOL

Old 11-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #43
GlueEater
Getting there...

I know some you will disagree but I believe all the changes onslaught has undergone encourages this kind of behavior. The first couple years I played I could make a difference even if I used a scorpion to get to the nodes. Now the game is too often in the hands of the players with the most powerful vehicles. Waist the mino, dragon, etc. and within seconds the other team owns 90% of the map. I get frustrated when I'm stuck with a badger and we are getting beat. I simply can't do much no matter how hard I try.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #44
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post
I know some you will disagree but I believe all the changes onslaught has undergone encourages this kind of behavior. The first couple years I played I could make a difference even if I used a scorpion to get to the nodes. Now the game is too often in the hands of the players with the most powerful vehicles. Waist the mino, dragon, etc. and within seconds the other team owns 90% of the map. I get frustrated when I'm stuck with a badger and we are getting beat. I simply can't do much no matter how hard I try.

Yep. Everytime I see a post like this it reminds me how I have championed this idea for years and years.
Old school ONS (original vehicles) through a few vehicle changes (Badger, Mini and speedy scorps) allowed
the game to be PLAYED by everyone. Required much more of a cohesive effort. Was a lot more fun to
play, in my opinion. Truth be told, the current state of the ONS garage is what prevents me from rejoining
the ONS world. I just do not enjoy what the evolution of ONS has become.

*shrug*

Old 11-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #45
McGimpkins
©

Carpe and GlueEater, the two of you are dancing around the real issue. The super vehicles donít exactly cause in game bitching. I donít consider MasterBath to have super vehicles but plenty of bitching and doucbagory occurs on that map.
To me the real issue is score. The score in the game puts a quantitative measurement to peopleís skill in the game. It is assumed that if you have a high score you are helping you team more in some way as opposed to others. It seems that 9 out of 10 time the main belly acher is one of the top scores (Hoodoo is always an outlier). They look at the score and see that they are the top or near it on their team because they have been spamming some node and racking up kills, and assume that they are the best player on the team. Many times Iíve seen one team that has less bitchers and more coordination have lower scores and completely wreak the other team. In addition Iíve seen players that do not rack up a high score, like Fragster whom I consider very much a team player, be a lynch pin to victory by linking, shielding, or redeemering the right node at the right time.
My point is that I think if you removed the ability of people to see their score you may have a little bit of a more level playing ground. People may be more likely to tell obnoxious people to shut up if they donít have some numbers to justify their ďself-worthĒ or ďskillĒ.
By the way Quantitative: relating to, measuring, or measured by the quantity of something rather than its quality. I think that is a very good definition of score in Onslaught.
On a side note I drive one of the super vehicles every blue moon, I donít consider myself an expert at any of them, but I did have to laugh at GlueEaterís comment about being stuck in a Badger. The Badger is one of my favorite vehicles. If Iím driving well Iíve taken down Minos, Dragons, Biotanks, and even the Kracken (if you hide in its blind spot right behind it). And of course it is always more helpful if youíre able to pick up a gunner (who isnít a jackass and tells you youíre driving the wrong way).
Old 11-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #46
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
Carpe and GlueEater, the two of you are dancing around the real issue.
Ya, but I'm leading cuz' he's the chick. Remember that.

Most definitely the score does play into it. However, the super vehicles are the main vehicle (pun intended.. in the infamous
words of Alf: "I kill me !!) that enables scores to be driven so stupidly high. Back in the day (fuk I sound old) if a high score
was what drove you (ya, that one was intended as well, I 'm on a freekin' roll here ) it was important that you be a team player,
because if the team didn't, you didn't.

I don't like this Gimpy character, it's almost like he's smart or something...

Old 11-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #47
GlueEater
Getting there...

Gimpy, are we playing the same game? Stop and think about how many times you see "We have a noob in the mino." pop up from the losing team. Don't you love when there's two minutes left and WeediestAmen goes on a suicide run in your mino and Guy has it on the other side. 9 out of 10 times you will lose.
Have you not heard the bitching that occurs over the arbalest in Junkyard. That thing runs the map. I've spectated that map dozens of times and played it dozens more. Whichever side does better with the arbalest almost always wins. One hit kills anything. No one vehicle should have so much influence.
Last night I spectated Goose on Tanks a lot. One of my favorite players. In the old days I used to measure myself against this guy. Goose plays with an intensity few do. Doesn't dick around. Moves fast. Heads right to the node. Solid deathmatcher. Loved to see him on my team. It increased our chances of winning. His contribution is pittance now compared to the guy in the ion. Victory on that map depends on whoever does the better job with the ion. Not always but usually.
The battles on Onslaught now take place around the node... not at it. Used to be this game was about outsmarting, outplaying, outhustling your opponent. Now it's not. That is what I believe GuyThatKillsU and others get upset over. "Get to nine quickly you morons!" he shouts over and over. Well fuck I can't get to nine. I can't get my wittle badger past the Railgun, Ballista and Centaur sitting on the hill. Meanwhile the enemy Dragon is dropping nodes faster than I can respawn.
So Yes I do believe all the new tanks cause problems. They make too easy for lazy less-skilled players to dominate.

Last edited by GlueEater; 12-01-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #48
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post
Have you not heard the bitching that occurs over the arbalest in Junkyard. That thing runs the map. I've spectated that map dozens of times and played it dozens more. Whichever side does better with the arbalest almost always wins. One hit kills anything. No one vehicle should have so much influence.
Last night I spectated Goose on Tanks a lot. One of my favorite players. In the old days I used to measure myself against this guy. Goose plays with an intensity few do. Doesn't dick around. Moves fast. Heads right to the node. Solid deathmatcher. Loved to see him on my team. It increased our chances of winning. His contribution is pittance now compared to the guy in the ion. Victory on that map depends on whoever does the better job with the ion. Not always but usually.
The battles on Onslaught now take place around the node... not at it. Used to be this game was about outsmarting, outplaying, outhustling your opponent. Now it's not. That is what I believe GuyThatKillsU and others get upset over. "Get to 9 quickly you morons!" he shouts over and over. Well fuck I can't get to nine. I can't get my wittle badger past the Railgun, Ballista and Centaur sitting on the hill. Meanwhile the enemy Dragon is dropping nodes faster than I can respawn.
So Yes I do believe all the new tanks cause problems. They make too easy for lazy skill-less players to dominate.

The bigger problem is when the skilled players are in the good vehicles. There's a huge difference between mrtropical and GTKU jumping in your team's Mino at the beginning of a match.

Personally, I prefer the stock vehicles + the super scorpions. Most of my skills involve jumping around and shooting from foot, and, like GlueEater keeps saying, that was much more a part of the game back when most ONS maps consisted of stock vehicles. Nowadays on maps like MTMU, it's like a combination of chess and rock-paper-scissors.
That being said, I believe one of the reasons this server is the last one left is because the maps and vehicles keep evolving, which brings "freshness" to a 9+ year old game.
That's why I try to find new vehicles, weapons, and novel ideas to put in the maps I work on.

Last edited by Turbo K; 11-30-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Old 12-01-2013, 09:51 AM   #49
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Personally, I prefer the stock vehicles + the super scorpions.
I think there can be a mix of amped up vehicles and still maintain the strategy(ies) and fun of ONS as it used
to be. Minotaur, Badgers, Bio Tank, Aegis, pumped up Scorps, Phoenix and the HellHound all co-existed
near the end of my ONS playing days and the maps still played well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
That being said, I believe one of the reasons this server is the last one left is because the maps and vehicles keep evolving, which brings "freshness" to a 9+ year old game.
That's why I try to find new vehicles, weapons, and novel ideas to put in the maps I work on.
And that is a valid point, somewhat. This server is one of the ones still around because, well, the others are all
gone. We've almost become the only game in town (ONS wise anyway). Personally, I still believe there is enough
of a population that love this variant of UT2004 to keep it going "old school" (or relatively old skool). I've said
it before and I'll say it again, one thing that prevents me from dabbling in ONS again is the state of the vehicle
loadout. I have no desire to re-learn the game because of the changes in armament; quite frankly the new uber
vehicles bore me and remove the shine and allure the game once had.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #50
hardspike
Server Admin

Here's a thought...

Make a randomizer that gives you only stock or (Carpe-sunset era stock) vehicles.

We're not going to get a lot of traction by putting in a lot of maps with toned down vehicles. But if you sneak them in it might work. So MTMU randomizer... can you make a random round or two just produce stock vehicles?
Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #51
tRES-gONADS
Am I getting ant better

UT2k4 ZZzz

Hey All,Well I find the old vehicles passť and bland.I'm sure they have they're place (2004)they still lack the cool factor.Thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #52
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
Carpe and GlueEater, the two of you are dancing around the real issue. The super vehicles donít exactly cause in game bitching. I donít consider MasterBath to have super vehicles but plenty of bitching and doucbagory occurs on that map.
To me the real issue is score. The score in the game puts a quantitative measurement to peopleís skill in the game. It is assumed that if you have a high score you are helping you team more in some way as opposed to others. It seems that 9 out of 10 time the main belly acher is one of the top scores (Hoodoo is always an outlier). They look at the score and see that they are the top or near it on their team because they have been spamming some node and racking up kills, and assume that they are the best player on the team. Many times Iíve seen one team that has less bitchers and more coordination have lower scores and completely wreak the other team. In addition Iíve seen players that do not rack up a high score, like Fragster whom I consider very much a team player, be a lynch pin to victory by linking, shielding, or redeemering the right node at the right time.
My point is that I think if you removed the ability of people to see their score you may have a little bit of a more level playing ground. People may be more likely to tell obnoxious people to shut up if they donít have some numbers to justify their ďself-worthĒ or ďskillĒ.
By the way Quantitative: relating to, measuring, or measured by the quantity of something rather than its quality. I think that is a very good definition of score in Onslaught.
On a side note I drive one of the super vehicles every blue moon, I donít consider myself an expert at any of them, but I did have to laugh at GlueEaterís comment about being stuck in a Badger. The Badger is one of my favorite vehicles. If Iím driving well Iíve taken down Minos, Dragons, Biotanks, and even the Kracken (if you hide in its blind spot right behind it). And of course it is always more helpful if youíre able to pick up a gunner (who isnít a jackass and tells you youíre driving the wrong way).
I too have been thinking about this for a while..could the scoring be disabled or displayed differently like nodes built up or taken down? I think if it was changed somehow it would discourage spawnkilling to a degree, although the players that spawnkill for their role will still do it.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:47 PM   #53
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Here's a thought...

Make a randomizer that gives you only stock or (Carpe-sunset era stock) vehicles.

We're not going to get a lot of traction by putting in a lot of maps with toned down vehicles. But if you sneak them in it might work. So MTMU randomizer... can you make a random round or two just produce stock vehicles?
As much as I would be behind this idea and want it to work, I can already see what would happen as a result: people would realize that the Randomizer round they're playing has only stock vehicles, and they'd spend the rest of the time bitching and moaning about it and how boring it is. Or, at the very worst, a large chunk of the playerbase would just up and leave whenever such a round would show up. There's already people lobbying to have the "all one vehicle" Randomizer rounds removed; I really don't see how this option would end up any different, given how the playerbase on the server likes their style of maps.

EDIT: And as for the issue of score, honestly, I'd be in favor of just removing the scoring system entirely, if that's even possible. Make ONS a true team effort; have the only score be the team score at the end of each round.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #54
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRES-gONADS View Post
Hey All,Well I find the old vehicles passť and bland.I'm sure they have they're place (2004)they still lack the cool factor.Thanks
Awesome.. thanks for joining in.

Seriously, we need more of the actual playing population participating in the forums. It's what makes the
whole experience more fun and it also enables/ensures that what your views/opinions/wants are addressed.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 PM   #55
Danno'68
Some call me....Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by tRES-gONADS View Post
And we're supposed to listen to a guy that has three nuts?!

Nerf the Mino! Nerf the Mino! Nerf the Mino!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #56
Sir Dave
Just Registered

'Triple-sack' has a good point. A lot of participants would be bored with stock. I on the other hand, love to go back to stock on a regular basis.
There is an interesting server, Miasma, that has a link to vehicle mod that not only charges the vehicle but lets you 'hitch' a ride. Probably ruins your 'whitelisted' status though.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #57
GlueEater
Getting there...

Old school vehicles require some skill to use and they can be beaten by an experienced player on foot. Despite the arguments to the otherwise, the mino, dragon and hurricane do not. Point and click.
As much as I hate them even I have to admit Omni needs a decent amount of maps with these vehicles to fill the server each night. The "watered down" players that populate the server now would get owned in stock vehicles. God forbid they have to charge a hellbender turret and actually aim...

Last edited by GlueEater; 12-06-2013 at 09:44 PM..
Old 12-07-2013, 12:42 AM   #58
DjAy-T
<--CheckOutThe @$$ on her

Default Heres another one of DJ's 2 cents

I see the )o('fied vehicles debate as I see the modern day Vehicles debate.

Classic or modern?

Now, Most will say "Oh, Classic cars cannot be beaten. The classics had it all." But... What vehicle do you take to work every day??? Im sure you chose the 2010 Toyota camry over buying that 1967 Chevy Camero SS. Now, I'm not "hating" on the classics(as I drive a 66 corvette from time to time), but I know that the features of a new vehicle completely outweigh the features of the classic car.

Novelty or Practicality?

Highly debatable at every point that "one" can drop... but here's my take. the game would have dies YEARS ago without its evolution. Mankind didn't stop after the discovery of fire... instead, it evolved and went on to discover electricity, internet, and then Bradjolina. Carp mentioned that there's a a handful of players who would enjoy it more if there was an old school mode only... TBH, (sorry to say) I think it would be a desolate wasteland (of a server). There's too few playing the game to have it work out. i remember the )o( retro weekends... the DW server never had so many [OMNI] tags in it

In a game mode that is all about getting to the Nodes... It is only fitting that the vehicles would get faster.... then stronger... then bitched about lol

Good Times!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #59
Lagzilla
Getting there...

I've enjoyed reading this post. One thing strikes me from what I would call the DM crowd... vehics are too powerful, one click kill tanks let skill less players get big points and own maps.

What we are missing when we say this:
1) This is not a DM game on this server. One click kill tanks and Dragons and the like are part of the non-DM experience.
2) It with out a doubt takes skill to operate the big tanks or dragon or whatever... If you don't believe me, give it a shot at some point when you have GTKU, Dimshade, Term, or a host of other good players who can just about own all big vehics.
3) Just because you can clear a swath of real estate does not mean its easy to operate, or to stay alive. It takes the team to help in all cases, either directly supporting the tank, or building the nodes the big guns took down. ONS, not DM.

Andrew

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught