Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Lagzilla
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 865
Default Minus and all its forms
Reply With Quote


Hey guys,

Any chance we can voice public opinion on Minus and possibly reducing the number of versions?

Currently there are 9 iterations of Minus. Though I enjoy the map, it quickly is becoming one of the maps I most dread playing.... in any form.

To boot some of the updates done to the map have caused issues (at least on my PC) with crappy frame rate/game play. I have all my settings turned down, but in a few of these (Randomizer is the worst) the game is damn near unplayable at times. Add 100 random Spiders and I am out, unplayable.

Anyways, I am hoping this sparks some conversation, since there is plenty of in game chatter about it.

It may be worth noting (despite my poor skill level) I play a lot of late... If I sit through a few hours on the server I can play Minus in all its glory 9 times... that's means I have the potential of playing the map for what, 15 hours? 2 to red, 2 to blue, 1 tie break? I mean holy crap is it getting old. Not helping is the potential for new players to cycle through, re-voting a Minus iterant shortly after already playing it. It's enough to make we want to uninstall UT2K4 and US DoD 5220.22-M my drive.

Been a while since I have been in the forums... good to be back.

Andrew
Lagzilla is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #2
Turbo K
Community Veteran

 
Turbo K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,536
Default
Reply With Quote


I'd love to see all of them except MTMU-Evo and Minus-)o(-V1a go away, but they are too popular. A lot of people would complain.
Turbo K is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
VadersFisting
Getting there...
 
VadersFisting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Texas, don't mess with it bitch!
Posts: 297
Default
Reply With Quote


Agreed, with so many tmu maps that are played on here it's almost like playing on another server I visited a couple times. I haven't seen it up lately though... *ahem*
VadersFisting is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

 
Carpe Diem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,634
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I'd love to see all of them except MTMU-Evo and Minus-)o(-V1a go away, but they are too popular. A lot of people would complain.
ya, well get ready for some complaining then.
__________________
Black holes are where God divided by 0. - Steven Wright






Carpe Diem is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,391
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
ya, well get ready for some complaining then.
Well, what do you expect? The normal server dies and the tank server gets all the players, so you replace the tank server with another normal server. Messed up but can't say I didn't see this coming. Maybe someday we will have another tank server and then we can go through this whole thing all over again where we let the minority rule.
Binger is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Beth
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default
Reply With Quote


Sorry here goes nothing *ahem* wow too many MTMU's well I thought that's what everyone wanted that's why the MTMU server won the vote.
 
Old 12-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
analog
Community Veteran

 
analog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Red Sox Nation
Posts: 2,698
Default
Reply With Quote


I lean this way myself and I would be fighting it if the fact was, there really are a lot and I often hear the moaning of "not mtu again". If the server stays full and there is a tad more map variety then all the better, if not then we can always go back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Well, what do you expect? The normal server dies and the tank server gets all the players, so you replace the tank server with another normal server. Messed up but can't say I didn't see this coming. Maybe someday we will have another tank server and then we can go through this whole thing all over again where we let the minority rule.
analog is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,391
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
I lean this way myself and I would be fighting it if the fact was, there really are a lot and I often hear the moaning of "not mtu again". If the server stays full and there is a tad more map variety then all the better, if not then we can always go back
I understand but a very vocal minority can seem like a majority.

The crowd on the server pretty much came to a standstill not long ago. If the server goes back to the way it was when that happened, which is where it's headed, then why think it won't die again, and this time without a tank server to save what few players are left. The only thing that might keep the regular server from dying after it's put back to the way it was before is the lack of a tank server.

You purists that want to play nothing but stock maps need to understand that you are a minority now days. It might be sad but it's just fucking true. No other way to look at it. Carpe, you and others are changing something that works for others and that they enjoy because things are not the way you want them to be, but they will never be that way again unless you open up a classic style server and get people to show up. This server merger and now removal of Minus maps does nothing to bring the game back to the way it was and the way you want it to be. It only pacifies a minority and frustrates the rest of us. But hey, it's a private server so you can do what you want.
Binger is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
Danno'68
Some call me....Danno

 
Danno'68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 442
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I understand but a very vocal minority can seem like a majority.

The crowd on the server pretty much came to a standstill not long ago. If the server goes back to the way it was when that happened, which is where it's headed, then why think it won't die again, and this time without a tank server to save what few players are left. The only thing that might keep the regular server from dying after it's put back to the way it was before is the lack of a tank server.

You purists that want to play nothing but stock maps need to understand that you are a minority now days. It might be sad but it's just fucking true. No other way to look at it. Carpe, you and others are changing something that works for others and that they enjoy because things are not the way you want them to be, but they will never be that way again unless you open up a classic style server and get people to show up. This server merger and now removal of Minus maps does nothing to bring the game back to the way it was and the way you want it to be. It only pacifies a minority and frustrates the rest of us. But hey, it's a private server so you can do what you want.



Oh good grief... going from 9 frickin MTMUs to 4 is not going to ruin anything.
Danno'68 is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #10
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

 
Carpe Diem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,634
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno'68 View Post


Oh good grief... going from 9 frickin MTMUs to 4 is not going to ruin anything.
QFT

And Binger, it's got nothing to do with me, whatever you believe. I don't play anymore. I devote time/effort to
keeping this place going. Period. As I said in the poll thread, this community was on a fast track to death.
And as Danno states, there are still going to be 4x mtmu variants. That's 5-8hrs of constant play on one map.
You need more than that ?
__________________
Black holes are where God divided by 0. - Steven Wright






Carpe Diem is offline  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #11
Lagzilla
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 865
Default
Reply With Quote


It did not occur to me that I would be in the minority on this, but perhaps I am. Certainly I see the world from my seat first... that said, I am not the only one who bitches when a Minus map comes up, by far. If you look through the chat logs on the server you can see a fraction of it, the voice mocking is un-trackable.

I am certainly not a purist, and find much enjoyment out of many maps.... but if I have to play the same layout map for 2 hours straight I am not entertained, there is a noticed ebb and flow of people when this happens too.

In the past, when there was an MTMU server I found that I only played there if there were more people there than the normal server... and I would generally bail out and go over to DW to get some variety. Even now if I see it up I will avoid for a bit and head to DW or Ceonns.

I wish there were more folks here, I would love to see more people opinions. I want the server to survive and even grow, and I am having a hard time seeing how playing the same map for hours straight (potentially) serves this goal. I think of Torlan servers out there... the biggest crowd there is generally around 10, and usual traffic can be far less. I am not saying Torlan is Minus, but there is a striking similarity in philosophy...

Andrew
Lagzilla is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
hardspike
Server Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 1,173
Default
Reply With Quote


I don't notice MTMU maps being overplayed. I know that Evo was popular, but I think that's only because it's a crash map. That should be less of an issue now that the crash map has been changed. But, even when Evo was being played after a crash not enough players would vote to initiate a change.

When a map is finished I immediately call up the voting screen and pick and vote for a map I want, not waiting for someone else to vote for theirs. I think a lot of players only vote for what's presented to them (someone has voted for it once).

Unless you "pull a Flounder" and vote while logged in as an admin, everyone's vote counts. If the majority votes in MTMU then that's what most players want to play.

And, I've not forgotten recent past. Regular ONS server was dying / dead. DW was very busy. MTMU server was very busy. Now it just seems the MTMU server is pretty busy and DW is fairly quiet.
hardspike is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #13
McGimpkins


 
McGimpkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Post apocalyptic wastelands
Posts: 543
Default
Reply With Quote


I would be alright with whittling the number down to 4 maps.
McGimpkins is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:21 AM   #14
Flounder
Server Admin


 
Flounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,071
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Unless you "pull a Flounder" and vote while logged in as an admin, everyone's vote counts. If the majority votes in MTMU then that's what most players want to play.
I don't recall that ever happening. Sounds like a case of transferrence to me.

Flounder is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 01:37 AM   #15
Lagzilla
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 865
Default
Reply With Quote


I think one of the points that I don't want to get lost in the convo is, how many people one and done MTMU and how many are playing for a few hours each day and having to be subjected to the "same" map during that window? Maybe we change the amount of time it can be voted in? Is that even an option?

Andrew
Lagzilla is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #16
Wormbo
Wormlike
 
Wormbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 907
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
But, even when Evo was being played after a crash not enough players would vote to initiate a change.
As far as I can tell (in general, not specific to this server), people rarely perform mid-game voting, even if someone else does. A good share just plays what's available.
Wormbo is offline  
Old 12-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #17
WMD40
Got there...

 
WMD40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 344
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I think one of the points that I don't want to get lost in the convo is, how many people one and done MTMU and how many are playing for a few hours each day and having to be subjected to the "same" map during that window? Maybe we change the amount of time it can be voted in? Is that even an option?

Andrew
Thus why there is a poll to help Carpe figure out on which maps to prune. That way there should hopefully be less MTMU maps running back-to-back. ("Pick four you want to stay")
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
As far as I can tell (in general, not specific to this server), people rarely perform mid-game voting, even if someone else does. A good share just plays what's available.
Crash maps a few times being an exception, some people probably look at it as throwing in the towel. So they either play it out hoping for a quick finish by either side, or they just go and then come back whenever a new map is loaded up. A very small few also just don't bother to vote mid-game due to an expectation that one couldn't accumulate enough votes to force a map switch. (Maybe that vote percentage requirement can be altered?)
__________________
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
-Will Rogers
WMD40 is offline  
Old 12-05-2013, 11:11 AM   #18
hardspike
Server Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 1,173
Default
Reply With Quote


Voting it out the crash map shouldn't be an issue now that we've got a super-fast crash map.

I had begun forcing switches after a crash. I'd encourage players to vote. Then threaten. Telling them that whatever map was ahead in the voting at 8:30 (on the game clock) was getting forced, unless the voting threshold was reached.
hardspike is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
It's time to minus some Minus' Carpe Diem Onslaught 35 12-14-2013 09:46 AM
My version of minus at night minus the Hammerheads... owner Onslaught 25 04-15-2010 11:38 AM
Minus Suggestion Chip Onslaught 16 03-01-2007 11:14 AM
Tropical Minus ? sparkle*princess Onslaught 13 02-22-2007 11:50 AM
Minus Tank me-Up problem ? Carpe Diem Onslaught 24 12-22-2006 05:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 AM.