Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #61
Zipherius
Getting there...

People replied to my message while I was writing it. I figured that may have been what prompted it. But, you have to keep in mind, most people arn't privy to those discussions either. And the fact that those discussions existed do not change the fact that the actions right now come off as "Admins angry! Admins ban people!" To the person who hasn't had a clue whats going on, it looks like )o( servers are VERY strict on offtopic discussions. And it doesn't help that you have people in this thread screaming for bannings (for bannings sake), some of whom apperently can actually ban?

EDIT: inserted (for bannings sake)
Old 07-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #62
AyEyE
Centurion

Only )o( members and server admins can ban. No one else should be threatening admin actions. Ex. "Stop doing that or a you'll get banned." That actually just adds to that "mean admin" atmosphere you are talking about and is most likely unfounded.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:11 AM   #63
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zipherius View Post
I quite agree that is the intention. But there are far too many people here calling for blood and bans as a end instead of a means to an end. The goal is not to ban people, the goal is to keep VOIP mostly relevant. Granted, there are only maybe 2 people in this thread explicitly doing this, but I am getting a definate feeling that some people are out for blood, and among people who use VOIP, this is not a feeling that only I share.
The goal here is not to ban people. People can post on this forum about "ban this person and ban that person" all they want, but it will get them nowhere, and quite possibly make them out to look like a whiner, because simply banning anyone and anything that happens to not be to your liking is not the answer. Nobody should be hiding in fear of being banned at any moment. The goal of the discussion (and the discussions going on among the admins) is to decide how to deal with the VOIP "problem" in general. I think, personally, that the answer is that players need to be a bit more considerate when decided to have long drawn out conversations, and either 1) take it to a private voice channel in the server (you guys know you can do that, right?) or 2) take it to teamspeak, so that the players who want to talk strategy can do so without having to talk over the chit chat to do so. This is a game after all, and talk about the game at hand is always more relevant than, say, what your dog did today, or how shitty your work day was.

Having said that, while I realize that this chatter may annoy some of you players out there who are all about the game, you have in your disposal many options to stop this, the first and foremost, as I mentioned above, being the ability to mute the chatter who is bothering you on your client. In case anyone was wondering, after looking through the code, this actually sends your pref to the server, and the server does not send you any of their voice data (so you cannot say that client side muting still wastes your bandwidth or lags you - it doesn't). You can also, yourselves, use a private voice chat channel, in game, to communicate strategy (if the players who want to talk strategy happen to be in the minority on their team).

The point of all this, is that there is a bit of consideration that players need to take regarding other players. People who love to BS, keep it in mind that others just want to play, and use the voice chat to do so. People who are playing, keep in mind that "ban the person" is NOT the answer to your problems, unless the person is doing something that is ACTUALLY disruptive to the game, such as aimbotting, that you yourself cannot correct, (as is the case with muting someone who is too chatty). The admins are not here to babysit the server, and to send people to the corner every time someone is upset. Sometimes, if you have the power to deal with the problem at hand, you just need to do it yourself instead of yelling for an admin to come along and give them a time-out.

For example, I cant stand zounds on servers, and some server I play on have tons of them. I dont go calling for admins to remove them from the server, because some people love them. The first thing I do, every round, is go to the console and type "mutate zound off" and bam, my problem is solved. There was no need to ask an admin to correct it. The same should go for problems that you have that you can solve yourselves. We, as admins, are not here to do these things FOR you. Sometimes you need to take the 2 seconds out of your game to hit ESC, click on someone and check the mute box.

http://www.p-fat.net/
Old 07-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #64
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

Quote:
The goal is not to ban people, the goal is to keep VOIP mostly relevant.
I would compleatly agree.

But without an adequate mute control (looking past the local mute option) on the ingame VOIP how do YOU suggest we keep the com "mostly relevant".

you have at your disposal

request
warning
and admin action slap, freeze, kick, ban

if the people continue to be disruptive what do YOU do?

Old 07-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #65
Zipherius
Getting there...

When I initially found out how serious you guys were about this, and even after reading this thread, it seemed that there might not be requests or warnings. If there are, then by all means, I really don't care. But it is so easy to step over the magical threshold of "a bit" that if someone doesn't call you on it, it seems like it would be quite easy to find yourself in ban town. Even if you have been previously warned, the line may not be clear in many cases, given different Admin's definitions of "a bit." This is really my concern. Now if you ask someone to stop and they ignore you (or they are using VOIP as live journal and other people have told them to knock it off...) thats different. But to me this looked (and kind of still does look) like a rule where you could easily step over the line and not know you were there until it was too late.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:23 AM   #66
Q
Bawls?

We're discussing killing VOIP on ONS server altogether. Don't be surprised.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:29 AM   #67
Zipherius
Getting there...

It doesn't seem to be that bad. Is it a bandwith issue? I mean, to me at least, I have to admit VOIP makes )o( servers worth playing on. Without VOIP its just another server. Granted, nice levels, with good admins, but the primary draw is command and tactics over VOIP. It is what keeps me coming back day after day, as opposed to going and playing on other ONS servers when there is a level that isn't that great. DW is good, but they don't use VOIP anywhere near as much as Omni. I truely hope that you don't take VOIP away from ONS. If I wanted to just kill people in large numbers I'd go play deathmatch, and that is what ONS will turn into without VOIP.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:36 AM   #68
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be that bad. Is it a bandwith issue? I mean, to me at least, I have to admit VOIP makes )o( servers worth playing on. Without VOIP its just another server. Granted, nice levels, with good admins, but the primary draw is command and tactics over VOIP. It is what keeps me coming back day after day, as opposed to going and playing on other ONS servers when there is a level that isn't that great. DW is good, but they don't use VOIP anywhere near as much as Omni. I truely hope that you don't take VOIP away from ONS. If I wanted to just kill people in large numbers I'd go play deathmatch, and that is what ONS will turn into without VOIP.
Well, it's not final, but we're thinking about it. The problem is that there is so many bitching and moaning about this VOIP crap that makes us all mad every other day. We either have to be civil and just ignore abusers, or ban them right away. Then when they get banned they come here and bitch about admin on power trip.

If we keep VOIP, we will make some harsh rules (whether regulars like it or not) to keep it useful, or users have to take care of themselves and ignore the abuser. Bottom line, WE ARE NOT GOING TO DISCUSS WHETHER VOIP ABUSERS WILL BE BANNED OR NOT, BECAUSE I WANT THEM SESSION BANNED AFTER ONE WARNING, AND PERMA BANNED IF THEY REPEAT. It's not possible to cater to those who use this service properly unless we deal with abusing dumbasses.

I'll make a separate post once we finish talking about possible solution. However, if VOIP stays, abusers will have to leave - no questions asked.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #69
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

Quote:
It doesn't seem to be that bad.
I personally disagree, I fell it is that bad.

Quote:
Granted, nice levels, with good admins, but the primary draw is command and tactics over VOIP.
This is the point. Using tactics over VOIP is impossible when 4 people are all using it to toss insults at each other. A lot of people wont actually use the mute menu but just hear whats going on and decide that this server isnt for them.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #70
Dinkledorf
Getting there...

I've dropped off the server a number of times because of it. For the majority of the time though, its within tollerable levels.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 PM   #71
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Just for the record, you guys who are dropping off because of voice chatter, you did know you can mute players AND create your own voice channels in game, right?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:25 PM   #72
AbSoluTc
Just Registered

As stated in other threads - the admins need to alert people of the TEAMSPEAK server. There are only 3-4 regulars on there everyday. Myself is one of them. Lately there have been new people showing up, but not by much. Please - if you want to help the situation - tell people INGAME about the TS server. There are some people that are unaware of it or who need help with it or something.

Given that option - if people PERSIST with VOIP stupid shit - a ban should be initiated. The telling them about the teamspeak server should be the warning. After that, banning. Yes, I am GUILTY of doing some jibbering when I should not be. Yes, I am also GUILTY of egging people on. Do I really aim to do that? No. I just do for some weird reason. I have cut back and I am ALWAYS on Teamspeak. Problem is, 75% of my team is NOT.

Again, an admin should come in when most of the "REGULARS" are on for a few days in a row and pause the game and make the announcement. Warn people of the Teamspeak server and make note that any deviation thereof will result in a ban. No ifs ands or butts.

End of story. Even I get tired of the chatter sometimes.
Old 07-20-2007, 02:32 PM   #73
Q
Bawls?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbSoluTc View Post
As stated in other threads - the admins need to alert people of the TEAMSPEAK server. There are only 3-4 regulars on there everyday. Myself is one of them. Lately there have been new people showing up, but not by much. Please - if you want to help the situation - tell people INGAME about the TS server. There are some people that are unaware of it or who need help with it or something.
That is not a possibility. Regular who are not visiting the forums are doomed to either get ignored on voice, or possibly banned for abusing it. We can't designate an admin to sit in spec slot all day and advertise our TS server. Out of question.

Quote:
Given that option - if people PERSIST with VOIP stupid shit - a ban should be initiated. The telling them about the teamspeak server should be the warning. After that, banning. Yes, I am GUILTY of doing some jibbering when I should not be. Yes, I am also GUILTY of egging people on. Do I really aim to do that? No. I just do for some weird reason. I have cut back and I am ALWAYS on Teamspeak. Problem is, 75% of my team is NOT.
This is what we are discussing at the moment. Players must be smart enough to ignore voice abusers. Again, this has been a responsibility for admins until now, but all we've got in return has been more complaints. When every player is in charge of what he wants to hear and what not, then he's got no one else to blame but himself.

Quote:
Again, an admin should come in when most of the "REGULARS" are on for a few days in a row and pause the game and make the announcement. Warn people of the Teamspeak server and make note that any deviation thereof will result in a ban. No ifs ands or butts.
This is disruptive to gameplay. Do you like to get frozen for 30 seconds while you're in the middle of something important, like jump and after unfreezing fall to your death? That's not really necessary.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #74
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

I direct everyone in this thread here for the official statement on the VOIP matter.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught