Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 05-04-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
Enyo
Getting there...

Default Look at Your Damn HUD!!!

The forum's been awfully quiet and this is something that's come up twice in 2 days. I won't name them, but 2 different players in the last 2 days were observed doing things that made little sense. I know, shocker! The scenarios were:

1) a guy linking a node (I think 11 on MTMU) our team no longer owned, i.e. the connecting node was down.
2) the other team was building our primary on IslandHop and one of ours had a bio right next to the node, and instead of killing the node was lobbing goo at a manta.

I said something to the effect of, "why are you charging a node we no longer own?" and "bio stop shooting at the manta and kill the node right next to you!" When asked what the hell they were thinking, both players responded they were not paying attention to the map.

And these are LOOOOOOOOOOONG time players. Seriously, how the fuck do you not look at your HUD frequently in onslaught? You should always be glancing up at the HUD every few seconds, just a quick glance to see what's going on with the map. Aside from player chat, which is never reliable, it's literally the ONLY way you know what's going on with the whole map at any given time. If you're not aware of what the map situation is at all times, you might as well just be sitting in a turret at the core, because that's about how useful both these players were being.

I know, I'm spinning my wheels here. If they haven't made a habit of it after 16 years, obviously not gonna learn now... but, just damn.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
1) a guy linking a node (I think 11 on MTMU)

This can be useful in some instances...that node is good for quickly getting to 8/9 even if 3/4 is down. Only time its worth linking though is if you know your teammates are building 3/4 and that node is about to expire.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:51 PM   #3
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Unlinked nodes still contribute to overtime if they were built.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
Judas
Just Registered

Quote:
one of ours had a bio right next to the node, and instead of killing the node was lobbing goo at a manta
Sounds like an asymptomatic carrier
Old 05-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
^ This. I normally do this IF it looks like we might be able to recover the side. But it's the only 1 or two nodes left, I normally grab the link tank and leave the node to fall.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 05-08-2020, 11:58 PM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Yes, that's true. BUT, in the situation I described we were not in overtime yet and we were down to only our 2 primaries on MTMU. And I would argue most of the time you're more useful helping engage at nodes your team can actually build. More often than not, when someone is linking a node their team no longer controls, it's a waste of time and resources.

Anyway, it's beside the point... players openly admitted to not paying attention to their HUDs. Sure, we can all get distracted by what's in front of us during battle, but a frequent quick glance at the HUD is an absolute necessity otherwise... if you want to weeeeen.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:58 AM   #7
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

The one that gets me riled up is on Randomizer, sometimes the left secondary node is linked to an outlier node to the far left of base. When a team loses that 2nd left node that is linked to the outlier node, people still stay at the outlier node trying to keep it up. They are effectively out of play for the entire time they stay there. I've heard people trying to defend their logic in this and I don't buy it. If my team is winning and ahead, I'll go over there to terrorize them just for fun.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught