Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-19-2017, 10:21 PM   #41
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Is that where your Slated World edit ended up?
This is from the second version of Flight of Fury, and I don't recall the buildings original map.

This version of Flight has nodes...

A
Old 09-20-2017, 01:56 PM   #42
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Pooty, some rebuttal to your comments...

11 is easy enough to get back with the right hardware. Lagzilla likes to take the Megabadger down there to protect, a good tactic. BUT, the mega is no match for the wind blade manta (available top of core). Just ask Lag, I've knocked him out of the mega twice on that map and stolen it. The wind blade is useless against nodes, but awesome against vehicles and infantry, knocking both all over the place.

You can get to 8/9 without a flyer. You can take a manta up the hill by the core entrance (left side if facing from outside) and ride along the bridge that connects 8 & 9. That's actually a great way to sneak up on anyone at one of those nodes.
Agreed on first point...

On the second, I think the "ramp" goes from base toward the enemy node first vs. your teams. It makes the trip take a fairly long time, exposed to enemy, to get there even in the manta like flyers. I think one and certainly two linkers can build it from scratch in the time it takes to fly there in a manta....

It might also be just that the "team" doesn't realize the strategic value of holding the top nodes and/or suppressing/controlling 11.

Still though I think a simple jump pad to get a few infantry closer to the primary would help....provides some defense of the primary while still allowing the flyers some good power over the node
Old 09-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #43
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post

Still though I think a simple jump pad to get a few infantry closer to the primary would help....provides some defense of the primary while still allowing the flyers some good power over the node
Agreed, those obscure primaries are devastating round enders.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #44
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerDoggie View Post
Agreed, those obscure primaries are devastating round enders.
There are jump pads at the middle nodes to the top primaries and the center.

Andrew
Old 09-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #45
KillerDoggie
Omni doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
There are jump pads at the middle nodes to the top primaries and the center.

Andrew
Darn you Lag, you know all the cool stuff in maps (wonder why ). Like the new Magic Isle and it's transporters and the crazy guns in Arctic. Guess it pays to be the developer.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #46
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Lol, you set the fog to black. You stole my idea. Mine looks better anyway.
I know, that you know, that it was a little more.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:43 AM   #47
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

We played again last night...absent any fliers it takes too long for infantry to get to the upper nodes 8&9 to attack an enemy held primary.

I realize you can take fliers there, and mantas (in a roundabout fashion). I also realize there's jump pads to get you there, but they are on the far side of the cliff from the base--meaning you have to get there, jump pad once, move and jump pad twice just to get to be able to hit that primary.

You can also shoot that node from the top level of the base (where the flyers usually fly out of) with infantry weapons.

Still though it seems that once you lose that primary its over, given the power of some of the fliers (firetank raptor)...since you can't get enough there to battle.

Anyone else think there should be a faster way to those? I feel like it needs a bit of balance between the 8-11-9 nodes and the ground nodes--meaning if you totally focus on the upper nodes, the other team should be able to progress nearly as fast on the ground....

Now it might be just strategy....don't move the badger from 8/9, keep it guarded, and use the turrets on the Odin to defend, but even so, I think I'd like to see a teleporter, maybe near 1, to the bridge maybe halfway between wall and 8/9?

I do like the map and the vehicle variety..and its a shame when it ends too fast.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #48
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
We played again last night...absent any fliers it takes too long for infantry to get to the upper nodes 8&9 to attack an enemy held primary.

I realize you can take fliers there, and mantas (in a roundabout fashion). I also realize there's jump pads to get you there, but they are on the far side of the cliff from the base--meaning you have to get there, jump pad once, move and jump pad twice just to get to be able to hit that primary.

You can also shoot that node from the top level of the base (where the flyers usually fly out of) with infantry weapons.

Still though it seems that once you lose that primary its over, given the power of some of the fliers (firetank raptor)...since you can't get enough there to battle.

Anyone else think there should be a faster way to those? I feel like it needs a bit of balance between the 8-11-9 nodes and the ground nodes--meaning if you totally focus on the upper nodes, the other team should be able to progress nearly as fast on the ground....

Now it might be just strategy....don't move the badger from 8/9, keep it guarded, and use the turrets on the Odin to defend, but even so, I think I'd like to see a teleporter, maybe near 1, to the bridge maybe halfway between wall and 8/9?

I do like the map and the vehicle variety..and its a shame when it ends too fast.
This version of Barracks is one of my favorite maps on the server. I love this version of Barracks but perhaps we should have put more jump pads in or something. I'm against teleporters because people will park vehicles on them which will cause you to die if you try and use them.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #49
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
I know, that you know, that it was a little more.
Yeah I was just messing with ya.

Quote:

Some great points here.

I like this edit but I don't like that there are two different games going on in it. You have the people playing the ground game like the old version and then you have the 8/9/11 game. If you are on the ground and not fighting for 11 then pretty much everything you do is useless.

Suggestions: Make a cutoff. My preference is to always have a cutoff on large maps. Completely separate lines to the cores can work on some maps, like TAL, but in some cases, like this Barracks, it divides the team and makes a lot of players' efforts useless.

If you're intent on keeping the separate paths then maybe swap the two tower nodes. It would put the primary further from where it is now and actually on the other side of the map but even so it would be more accessible from the base (which says something about it current accessibility).

Take away all the ground vehicles. Make the edit a fast paced flyer version. Nothing but vehicles based on Raptor, Cicada, and Manta.

So good job but I would really like to see some changes to remove the obsolescence of much of the map.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught