Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 12-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Default Sniper Tank

Couple ideas on the sniper tank....

I feel this thing needs at least one more redeeming quality about it. Aside from it's far zoom with accuracy, it's a pretty cruddy tank. Slow moving, slow turret, 500HP, easy to see

I think just one of the following would make it a more worthwhile tank without going overboard:
Give it invisible camo activated by sitting still like the stealth badger
Give it just regular camo paint, not bright white
Quicker turret
Lots more HP
Fast as the bio tank

I like the camo ideas best as they fit the "sniper" profile a little better.

Thoughts?
Old 12-10-2018, 12:41 PM   #2
TotalBurn
Certified Lurker

Well, on the JY map I get killed by it 3 to 5 times before I can get it taken out. Its damage is high and health low. To me thats old school balancing. A concept that got lost over the years.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Couple ideas on the sniper tank....

I feel this thing needs at least one more redeeming quality about it. Aside from it's far zoom with accuracy, it's a pretty cruddy tank. Slow moving, slow turret, 500HP, easy to see

I think just one of the following would make it a more worthwhile tank without going overboard:
Give it invisible camo activated by sitting still like the stealth badger
Give it just regular camo paint, not bright white
Quicker turret
Lots more HP
Fast as the bio tank

I like the camo ideas best as they fit the "sniper" profile a little better.

Thoughts?
I agree with TotalBurn... the sniper tank is designed specifically for taking out flyers, which it does very well as is. It only takes a couple shots on a hammer head and only one on falcons, mantas and short circuits. It's also great for taking out badgers, foot soldiers and the balista

Giving it invisibility would make it nearly impossible to ever find it in a flyer before getting killed... can you imagine Dimshade with an invisible Rail Gun Tank? The only thing I would suggest changing on it would be giving its main turret a higher firing angle, or make the alt fire minigun more powerful. It can't do squat against a flyer that's directly above it.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:44 PM   #4
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Sure those are good points... I think at least giving it a dark color would still be good though.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I agree with TotalBurn... the sniper tank is designed specifically for taking out flyers, which it does very well as is. It only takes a couple shots on a hammer head and only one on falcons, mantas and short circuits. It's also great for taking out badgers, foot soldiers and the balista

Giving it invisibility would make it nearly impossible to ever find it in a flyer before getting killed... can you imagine Dimshade with an invisible Rail Gun Tank? The only thing I would suggest changing on it would be giving its main turret a higher firing angle, or make the alt fire minigun more powerful. It can't do squat against a flyer that's directly above it.

Sounds like you are talking about the Railgun tank and I believe YEAH is talking about the Ballista.

The skins might be doable through the editor (I kind of doubt it) but the others would require a recompile. My only problem with the Ballista is the damage falloff. I'm not going to edit it but if someone else wants to learn to edit vehicles I think I can help with the learning process.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Sounds like you are talking about the Railgun tank and I believe YEAH is talking about the Ballista.
Oh, maybe you're right... never thought of the ballista as a "sniper tank," but I could see that with it's gunner seat/laser. If that's the case, I agree with YEEEAAHH, the ballista sucks as is. It should probably have a little more health, and it is slower than NEXT Christmas.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

The Ballista has no damage falloff on the Barracks and StarReach maps.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #8
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
The Ballista has no damage falloff on the Barracks and StarReach maps.

Ah, good to know, thank you. That one should replace all of them.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:40 PM   #9
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Yes yes yes, I mean the Ballista, not the Railgun Tank. The white one with 500hp and drives like granny. For a second I was wondering wtf you guys were talking about.

Ps, what's falloff?
Old 12-12-2018, 10:31 PM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Yes yes yes, I mean the Ballista, not the Railgun Tank. The white one with 500hp and drives like granny. For a second I was wondering wtf you guys were talking about.

Ps, what's falloff?
Sorry, I always thought of the railgun tank as THE sniper tank. Dammit, call shit by its actual name would ya??? You know for those of us that are a little slow.

The ballista's primary cannon damage "falls off" over distance, meaning the further away the target the less damage it does. Ever notice you can hit a node up close with it and it about takes the node out, but hit it from a long distance and it barely does dick? Not sure if the damage falloff applies to its secondary laser fire... Binger, Anon you know i'm sure?
Old 12-12-2018, 11:13 PM   #11
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Ha! I'm just surprised we've all been calling different tanks the same thing for so long.

Never noticed the damage gets weaker, I've just always thought the sniper tank had an underwhelming cannon... especially for having a nuke effect on impact. That explains a lot though.... and further adds to my original feeling that the ballista needs an improvement or two.

Does the manta have this "fall off" feature of its cannons? Sometimes I feel when you're farther away it takes longer to bring down a node.
Old 12-18-2018, 03:00 AM   #12
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

I believe the white one has worse falloff than the recolored one.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

What type of file would these images need to be? I assume not jpeg or whatever... All I'd really plan on doing to them is filter-type things... darken, black/white etc.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:30 AM   #14
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
I believe the white one has worse falloff than the recolored one.
I don't really understand how it works but it would be good to find one that didn't have it or if someone could figure how to remove it.

Quote:
What type of file would these images need to be? I assume not jpeg or whatever... All I'd really plan on doing to them is filter-type things... darken, black/white etc.
If you export them from the game editor they are DDS. The UTPT tool can extract them as DDS, PCX, BMP, TGA (I haven't tried this). Gimp is available for OS and can load DDS and convert it to jpeg. The game editor won't import jpeg but you can always convert it something it will import, like BMP, PCX, TGA, and DDS.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #15
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Bringing this thread back. I just loaded it into a photo editor and have been playing around with filters, darkness etc. I think this is all it would need according to each map. Giving it a bit of stealth according to whichever map it's on.

If anyone's interested in something like this I can run some quick ideas per map, but it doesnt seem like anyone is editing Minus or Junkyard any time soon...
Old 02-15-2019, 08:10 AM   #16
Binger

Quote:
Bringing this thread back. I just loaded it into a photo editor and have been playing around with filters, darkness etc. I think this is all it would need according to each map. Giving it a bit of stealth according to whichever map it's on.

If anyone's interested in something like this I can run some quick ideas per map, but it doesnt seem like anyone is editing Minus or Junkyard any time soon...

Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #17
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:

Something like this would prob make it a bit harder to see on Djunk...
Old 02-15-2019, 08:25 PM   #18
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-...dobe-photoshop
Old 02-16-2019, 12:15 AM   #19
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

That's cool, enyo.

Yeah I think literally grab color samples from the map floor and try to get that into the sniper tank's "camo". Or I suppose just look at it next to a screenshot....
Old 02-16-2019, 12:57 AM   #20
Binger

Quote:
That's cool, enyo.

Yeah I think literally grab color samples from the map floor and try to get that into the sniper tank's "camo". Or I suppose just look at it next to a screenshot....
I tried to get Enyo's version on the Ballista in D-Junk for a test look but I gave up after my quick conversion to dds in Gimp wouldn't load into the editor.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner