Assault Assault Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault

Old 08-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #61
-Apothis-
Wawaweewa

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgenstern View Post
I'm willing to bet that has something to do with the fact that 80% of the time I check the AS server, there's a racemap being played...

oh and is it impossible to not dock anyone who gets UAMed a point just for being the latest person to join? It seems silly to me...
In theory, would cutting down on the amount of racemaps on the server possibly stop chodeness from escalating further?
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #62
morgenstern
manta matador

Dunno, I've just always felt the most chodeness occured whenever a racemap came up, like career teamkillers showing up and/or people acting like complete idiots.

Even if it didn't work, I would be all for cutting down the number of racemaps

"Thou art a fool" - Rupert
Old 08-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #63
Solace
Getting there...

Problem is... people want to teamswitch in assault because it's actually better when the red team wins. If the teams are unbalanced in red's favor, red wins in five minutes, and blue only sits around getting killed for the same five. If they're unbalanced in blue's favor, red beats it's head against a wall for 20 minutes before blue wins in five.

(\/)
(^.^)
(> <)
U U
Old 08-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #64
Hojo_TSC
The Original Super Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
If they're unbalanced in blue's favor, red beats it's head against a wall for 20 minutes before blue wins in five.
The story of Mushroom Kingdom.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:42 PM   #65
morgenstern
manta matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojo_TSC View Post
The story of Mushroom Kingdom.

Even more in Ionification, seeing how both a 20 minute match and a 5 minute match are both easily possible

"Thou art a fool" - Rupert
Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #66
analog
Community Veteran

Racemaps are just too popular. Good case in point, tonight I played 3 maps, there were about 10 - 12 people on for the first 2 then Bender race came up and the server was full within 5 mins of the match and stayed that way until it was over.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #67
steve
Server Sponsor

And then people leave when the race maps end...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #68
dimshade
Getting there...

The trick is to find something fun to do on every map, even if it's one you hate.

Example: I'm sure some of you remember desert race. Words cannot describe how much I despised that map. But I'll be damned if I didn't have some of the funnest times on it. If you remember, there's a fair sized boulder on the side of the road going down. I would hide in my bender behind that boulder and use the 3rd person perspective to watch for enemy benders and scorpions coming down at about 300 MPH. I would time it just right and run out and slam them. Let me tell you, when you hit someone just right when they're zipping down the valley, they go FLYING. I literally laughed myself to tears almost everytime that map was voted.

The map was pretty awful, but man do I miss it.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #69
▀ad▀lood
Hug it out BITCH

I know what you mean dim. I remember the first time I played DesertRace, It felt so badass driving down the cliffs with action all around. Great fun. I miss it too. I might make a new version of it.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:37 PM   #70
Rugal

I remember when I first played desertrace, I would always hook the bender sideways and go flying down the hill. When I got ejected, I would watch the bender bounce everywhere. Ahhh... horrible map, but good times...
You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named 'Bush', 'Dick', and 'Colon'
Old 08-09-2007, 03:27 PM   #71
Coyote
Community Veteran

What is the default server behavior w/o all of the extra mod goodness that's being employed on )o('s AS server? If I set up a basic server out of the box, would it try to keep the teams balanced by not letting someone switch over to the team with more people or would it just let each player do whatever you want? How is this handled in other games (e.g. CS comes to mind)? Just random curiosity here... no point expressed or implied...

<offtopic>
If you guys enjoyed driving the downhill part of DesertRace, you should try the UnWheel map Desertic! It's essentially one long winding half-pipe with a ton of bumps, twists, and turns. Hit the turbo in a Master of Disaster and you'll wonder why you ever thought doing that in a 'bender was cool. (Okay, maybe the shooting part was cool...)
</offtopic>
Old 08-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #72
steve
Server Sponsor

Out of the box, UT won't let you switch teams if your current team is already a man down as long as you set PlayersBalanceTeams=True in the INI (no idea what section). UAdminMod is the one that lets you move people around.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 PM   #73
Coyote
Community Veteran

I've been reading through this thread and have been wondering about all the efforts that the admins go through to try to keep things fair and balanced despite all of the adversity. My first thought was is it really worth the effort? Then I was reminded about all of the other AS servers out on the list which do the default player management thing and it's okay at least until players drop out and one team becomes unbalanced. At that point the fun stops and pretty much everyone leaves. I look back at all of those servers sometimes that I used to occasionally play on and I see one constant throughout: 0 players these days...

While it's a pain and the repercussions rile our community up to no end, I have to say that this effort is exactly one of the main reasons the AS server has been and still is so damned popular. Heck, I think it's the main reason that why when I first started playing UT2004 I kept coming back to )o(. For all the bitching that is heard about it, the admin's efforts to keep things balanced like this is what keeps people coming back I think (well, one of the things, but it certainly was the main thing for me.)

Hey, you guys do an awesome job at keeping the peace. I know it's a drag, but I sure as hell appreciate it.

Thanks!!!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault